HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dawes Expendable?

Old
05-04-2008, 05:27 PM
dccuse

vCash: 500
Dawes Expendable?

I know its quick, but with Lauri's showing today, does anyone else see him taking over dawes' spot. Dawes is fast, Lauri's faster. Dawes has a nice shot - Lauri's is right up there with some years to build up his strength. Dawes is undersized, Lauri's not. Plus it looks like Lauri can get more involved in the defensive zone. Packaging Dawes with our 1st rounder could bump us up pretty high in the draft. Given that Chery and anisimov (and then byers, dupont, hillier and some others perhaps not too far behind) will [I]eventually[I] be joining the roster, maybe we should try to get some value out of our expendable position players while we can... Then again, i guess a lot of this depends on how many of Jagr, Straka, Shanny and Avery come back, how many spaces we need to fill, and how many UFAs we realistically target (please not Rolston).

Good season, how long till the draft?

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
I know its quick, but with Lauri's showing today, does anyone else see him taking over dawes' spot. Dawes is fast, Lauri's faster. Dawes has a nice shot - Lauri's is right up there with some years to build up his strength. Dawes is undersized, Lauri's not. Plus it looks like Lauri can get more involved in the defensive zone. Packaging Dawes with our 1st rounder could bump us up pretty high in the draft. Given that Chery and anisimov (and then byers, dupont, hillier and some others perhaps not too far behind) will [I]eventually[I] be joining the roster, maybe we should try to get some value out of our expendable position players while we can... Then again, i guess a lot of this depends on how many of Jagr, Straka, Shanny and Avery come back, how many spaces we need to fill, and how many UFAs we realistically target (please not Rolston).

I don't base decisions on one game, even if it was a playoff game. Why don't we wait until Korpi really makes the NHL before making players expendable.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:30 PM
dccuse

well that depends on how high you think Dawes' ceiling is. If you think its much higher than where it is now then yeah hold on to him, but if you think he's hovering around his peak then perhaps its time to cash in on the little buzz he generated in the 2nd half of the season. Personally i don't want or see him taking 2nd line minutes, and there are other people i'd rather see take 3rd line minutes.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:30 PM
TheRedressor

no prucha is expendable

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:31 PM
NYR Viper

with the possibility of losing all 4 1st and 2nd line wingers before next year...i would rather hold on to a player like dawes who can score and set up plays and has good health

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:32 PM
mschmidt64

There's a good point to this though.

Korpi reasonably projects to be a 2nd/3rd line type. Just likes Dawes. Just like Dubinsky, just like a ton of other foward prospects we have.

Cashing in a pick and one or two of them to secure a much higher pick, and a first line player, would be wise. You can't keep them all. Concentrate them and get quality back over quantity.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:34 PM
In The Flesh

I'd have no problem packaging him in a deal for someone good. Wishfull thinking........Kovy.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
they're polar opposite players, so no.

however, if Dawes is part of a package to bring in some veteran help with a reasonable cap hit, I'd have no problem

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:36 PM
the zamboni

I really like Dawes, but I can definitely see him as trade bait.

the zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
John Flyers Fan

Why would todays game make Dawes expendable, one of the few Rangers creating anything.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
no prucha is expendable
Wow.. didn't see that coming. : The question is "Is Dawes Expendable?" The answer is yes. There aren't many people on our roster who aren't. Prucha played in 3 games and was visible in all of them. Dawes disappeared. He played a great game today though and cashed in on his second chance... Still should've buried the first chance though.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:38 PM
SML

You hold onto Dawes. He's not big he's not physical, but he has great offensive instincts, and that's good. Gomez has to play with somebody next year, and with Shanny, Straka, Jagr and Avery up in the air, why would you move Dawes? You sweet talk him and tell him he's Gomer's winger next year, get him in at a low price, and see what happens. Hell that midget Gionta almost scored 50 with him. Dawes is a lock for at least 30 with him. No reason at all to get rid of the guy. Prucha makes more and has better prior stats to try to sell to a buyer.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

None of the young wingers are expendable as of now unless it's for a much better winger. The Rangers may be losing 3 wingers on the top two lines.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:41 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Wow.. didn't see that coming. : The question is "Is Dawes Expendable?" The answer is yes. There aren't many people on our roster who aren't. Prucha played in 3 games and was visible in all of them. Dawes disappeared. He played a great game today though and cashed in on his second chance... Still should've buried the first chance though.
I like Prucha, but I actually thought he was pretty quiet in the games he played and slower than the pace of the game.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

We have a team full of second liners. They're pretty much all expendable if you ask me.

We have two legitimate scoring threats. Both of whom are aging and one of which doesn't have the legs to keep up with the guys he plays with.

If we can send Dawes or Prucha to anyone and get a hard hitting defensive d-man in return, I'm all for it.

My list of untouchables:
Staal
Gomez
Drury
Lundqvist

Thats it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

yes but not right now

we're gonna need nhl bodies with some skill

Old
05-04-2008, 05:59 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
You do realize he's a ****ing rookie, right?

Our number one problem this year was scoring. Nigel Dawes, a just-turned 23 year old in his rookie season put up numbers equivalent to 19 goals. We're most likely losing Shanahan, likely losing Straka and not as likely but maybe Jagr as well. Avery could be gone too.

So now the same guy is suddenly expandable? On what basis, that a rookie had 1 playoff game and scored in it? Seriously? I love Korpedo and love what he did today, but the guy hasn't proven anything yet and even if he does fulfill his potential, suddenly we don't need Dawes? I Guess we can trade Girardi too if Sanguinetti plays a game next year and scores? Or Betts can be gone if Greg Moore is called up and plays well for 2 games? There are 12 forward spots and we could potentially lose 4 of the top 6 forwards. That makes Dawes expandable? Because he was only at a pace of 20 or so goals in his rookie year?

If a ridiculous trade were to come along like for a Mike Green or so where we had no choice but to accept, then fine. But Dawes isn't landing us anything earth- shattering people. I can name so many more players and staff members that are more problematic then a 23 year old rookie contributing at a 20 goal per season pace.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:36 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post

Why don't we use our brains and keep Dawes AND Korpedo? Stop the over-packaging and keep adding young guns to this team and we will be okay.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Why don't we use our brains and keep Dawes AND Korpedo? Stop the over-packaging and keep adding young guns to this team and we will be okay.
true

prucha on the other hand.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post

prucha on the other hand.....
Is officially lost as an NHL player, I held out hope forever, but now I'm convinced its time to move on. Hope he's Jagr's maid in Russia next year if JJ goes.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
philbo

No Prucha go bye bye, in big trade for Gabby!

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Marty Straka?Come on

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Move around players as you see fit, but this team must get bigger on the wings.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:00 PM
bumrusherer

He is trade bait, I will admit to that. But I would not be annoyed/upset if we kept him and tried to develop him.

No doubts that he couldnt at least be a 60 point per season player.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:12 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
You do realize he's a ****ing rookie, right?

Our number one problem this year was scoring. Nigel Dawes, a just-turned 23 year old in his rookie season put up numbers equivalent to 19 goals. We're most likely losing Shanahan, likely losing Straka and not as likely but maybe Jagr as well. Avery could be gone too.

So now the same guy is suddenly expandable? On what basis, that a rookie had 1 playoff game and scored in it? Seriously? I love Korpedo and love what he did today, but the guy hasn't proven anything yet and even if he does fulfill his potential, suddenly we don't need Dawes? I Guess we can trade Girardi too if Sanguinetti plays a game next year and scores? Or Betts can be gone if Greg Moore is called up and plays well for 2 games? There are 12 forward spots and we could potentially lose 4 of the top 6 forwards. That makes Dawes expandable? Because he was only at a pace of 20 or so goals in his rookie year?

If a ridiculous trade were to come along like for a Mike Green or so where we had no choice but to accept, then fine. But Dawes isn't landing us anything earth- shattering people. I can name so many more players and staff members that are more problematic then a 23 year old rookie contributing at a 20 goal per season pace.
Whoa... hold on a second. I never said I wanted to trade Dawes. I think he is going to contribute a lot to this team. However, is he expendable? Yes. Outside of Hank, Staal, Gomez and Drury, most players are. That's all I was saying.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote