HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM Meetings and the rule changes

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 05:05 PM
NoHeart

vCash: 500
GM Meetings and the rule changes

GM's to reccomend big changes

Canadian Press

2/10/2004

HENDERSON, Nev. (CP) - In what could turn out to be an historic day in NHL history, the league's 30 general managers agreed to several rule changes Tuesday that may drastically change the way the game is played.

``A couple of these differences will make a major difference to the way the game is played,'' New York Islanders GM Mike Milbury said as the day-long meeting ended.

Among the changes the GMs will recommend:

- Goalies can no longer handle the puck behind the back-end red line (behind the net);

- The width of goalie pads will be reduced to 10 inches from the current limit of 12 inches;

- The nets will brought back to 10 feet from the back boards from the current 13 feet;

- The tag-up offsides will be brought back;

- AHL will try out three points being awarded for a victory in regulation time with NHL possibly going to that format in 2005-06 if it works well in the minors; that would also include two points for an overtime win, it may also include two points for a penalty shootout win.

``Yes, it is quite a bit,'' said Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford.

The GMs' suggestions this week will be further re-examined this summer by a blue-ribbon panel of hockey experts including coaches, players, media and some GMs.

Then the end package must be approved by the league's owners at a Board of Governors' meeting in late summer.

Legendary coach Scotty Bowman took part in the decision-making Tuesday.

``They're asking me as a coach what I would do in certain situations and since I'm not active anymore I can give an unbiased opinion on that,'' Bowman said.

Old
02-10-2004, 05:09 PM
rickyrod

do you have a link?

Old
02-10-2004, 05:12 PM
kazo

This still does not really address any of the major problems with the way the game is being played. A couple of relatively minor points are good but the big problem areas are still sitting out there with, apparently, no solutions in sight.

Old
02-10-2004, 05:19 PM
NoHeart

try www.nhl.com its the main story also try www.tsn.ca

Old
02-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Edge

that story came out of henderson, nevada?!?!

that's where i live {it's a suburb of las vegas, maybe 10-30 minutes away depending on where in henderson you live}

that's strange, i wonder who did the release.

Old
02-10-2004, 06:02 PM
RangerBlue381

Send a message via AIM to RangerBlue381
I think not allowing goalies to handle the puck at all behind the net is not how that should be handled. Goalies leaving the crease should be allowed to be hit just as any other player. It goes without saying it needs to be a legal hit. Make it so that goalies that can play the puck well still have an advantage but have to actually think when deciding when to play the puck. And then it goes back to having the crease serve the purpose it was meant to have, the safety zone for goalies.

Old
02-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Edge

i dont know if any of these rules make the game better or allow for scoring, to me they just make it seem a lot wackier, a little more complicated {Exactly what the league needs to attract new fans right?} and again turns a blind eye to the games management.

nothing has changed, the league is just gonna keep doing this cycle till they are out of business or until they wake up and have to rebuild the whole league.

Old
02-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Fletch

NOt sure about the goalies....

does this mean he can go back and tee the puck up for the defenseman coming back? Gotta think that one over a bit more. As for goalies getting hit...I'd rather limit the space in which they can handle the puck as opposed to seeing them get taken out.

Old
02-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Laches

How about having the refs actually enforce the bleeping rules? There's a novel idea. I'm convinced nothing will really get better until that happens. As long as officials are permitted to hide behind the "let the players decide it" philosophy and put their whistles away, we're going to see skilled players held, grabbed, pinned, tackled, etc. in the third period of close games.

Old
02-10-2004, 11:47 PM
bw5126

Send a message via AIM to bw5126
DID you see all the changes the GM's voted for

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...86&hubName=nhl

some even as early as this weeek.

Old
02-11-2004, 05:09 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
The only two I do not agree with are the Goalies not being able to handle the puck, and the decision to even consider trying a shootout. Having ties settled by shootouts, even if it is experimental in the AHL is stupid. Shootouts have nothing to do with winning hockey games, a team game. Hell they have nothing to do with Hockey at all. Sure they are exciting but games should never be settled that way.

Idea's I would like to see added are, players serve full 2 minutes on minor penalties if a PP is scored, and OT games will be 4-4 for 10 minutes rather than 5...

Old
02-11-2004, 08:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan
The only two I do not agree with are the Goalies not being able to handle the puck,
Preventing goalies from handling the puck is utterly moronic. It's like preventing NFL QB's from scrambling. Goalies should be able to handle the puck at their leisure. HOWEVER, if they take a step outside of the crease they should be fair game. Broduer wants to go into a corner to handle the puck? Fine and dandy. However, he should then be able to be hammered as any other player would when they go into a corner. However, we all know that the NHL will never put a rule into place that would promote hitting goalies.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Fletch

I may agree to an extent, TB..

been thinking about this for a while...First, at a minimum there needs to be a box where the goalie can handle the puck without getting hurt, and I think that box should extend behind the net. Going into the corner, or far outside the box, well, I may be willing to give into the fair game concept. But won't it be wierd, as a puck slides down near the corner, and a forward's racing for it and the goalie just sits in his net and waits? It'll look wierd for a while, as you know 9 times out of 10, the goalie ain't going out there if he's fair game...although you'll likely see more fights as the goalies that do get whacked will retaliate, or their teammates will.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
does this mean he can go back and tee the puck up for the defenseman coming back?
No. If a goaltender touches the puck once it's gone past the goal (red) line, it's a minor penalty. That means, even if the puck is 2" behind that line, up against the side of the net with no skaters around, the goaltender cannot play it. Absolutely effing ridiculous.

I'm at a loss to explain how the General Managers congregate with Bettman and rather than taking him to task for lack of enforcement of the CURRENT rules, they sit around and come up with a list of convoluded, borderline comical, new ones. Welcome to the NASCAR-ization of the NHL, where appealing to every Tom, Dick and Harry in the world is more important than the hardcore fan and than the integrity of the sport.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Welcome to the NASCAR-ization of the NHL,

Hopefully, that includes restrictor plates in Lindros's head and Leetchs ankles..

Old
02-11-2004, 09:53 AM
kazo

If a goalie sets so much as a toe past the goal line, it's a two minute penalty. I wonder if now they'll have to go to video reviews to see if a goalie went outside the goal line or not.

I picked up some comments on center ice broadcasts and most think the changes are of little consequence. The players still say to a man to call interference and obstruction and that, by itself, would be a big help. But, of course, Buttman has his own agenda.

Glen Hanlon made a point that I wasn't aware of. He said when he was playing goalie pads weighed 9 lbs each. Now, they weigh 4 lbs each. He thinks that, by itself, is a big reason why goal scoring is what it is.

Old
02-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Edge

possbily but history has proven that when players have the room to play, they can still play.

another problem is that for years the league did everything to protect goalies, from crashing the net to not being able to hit them if they left their own net, the league made goalies a forcefield that cant be touched.

i think the players, on a whole, recognize that the game isnt broken, it's just not being used right. but again, bettman and co. would need to admit they messed up, which isnt about to happen right before a lockout.

Old
02-11-2004, 12:28 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
But won't it be wierd, as a puck slides down near the corner, and a forward's racing for it and the goalie just sits in his net and waits?
It's a chance that a goalie will have to take or not take. I think that it is even more weird to see Broduer strol over into a corner now, not even fearing anything. What's next? At what point does the untouchable goalie decide that since no one can touch him, maybe he'll just start skating out w/ the puck to the blueline?
The goalie's world is the crease. Touch him in there and it is goalie inteference. Go outside the crease and the goalie should be like any other skater.

Old
02-11-2004, 01:30 PM
kazo

It really boggles the mind at just how totally inept Gary Bettman is. He never addresses any of the key issues. He instead prefers to dance around each and every secondary problem while never tackling the real core problems. The board of governors are a bunch of boobs so it figures Bettman should be the biggest boob of all.

That proposal for overtime and shootouts is a real beaut. Two points for that, three points for this, and one point for I don't know what. Will the average fan be able to figure out any of that at a glance? Oh, and let's not forget the shootouts. Talk about a Mickey Mouse league. If it's not here already it soon will be.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Edge

a league that has trouble attracting fans makes the game more complicated....wow is it just me or do all these rules make the league sound like a giant beer league.

remember the simpsons where they have a company baseball and all the rules for drinking beer and stealing bases? yeah, we arent too far off.

but this is why hockey is in the shape it is in, lack of leadership.

Old
02-11-2004, 03:03 PM
kazo

Kind of reminds me of a wiffle ball league we had when I was a kid. This tree was a double, that tree a triple. Sounds a little like the NHL, doesn't it?

Let's see, how many points for a shutout?

Closed Thread