HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gomez and Drury: First Year

Old
05-04-2008, 08:12 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Gomez and Drury: First Year

These guys were brought in this year as the huge offseason acquisitions and despite their huge contracts I was very pleased with their seasons. Yes its very disappointing to see the team out in the second round again, but the team loses, not individuals.

Drury struggled to assimilate early but then picked it up as the season went on. We all saw first hand how valuable he is besides the numbers. He showed a ton of grit and perseverance in this series being injured numerous times and playing through it all. He showed leadership and clutch play once he came alive.

Gomez stood out at points during the season as the best player on the team IMO. All we need is a legit scoring threat on his line and the guy will reach the 100 point level. It took me a while to get used to him in Ranger blue but i can honestly say after watching him in all season and through the 90+ games this year he is a Ranger.

Next year i'd like to see them be better on the Powerplay, and continue to do what they do.

But IMHO it was a good season for both.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:14 PM
NYR Viper

loved the moves the day they were made and i still love them....these are the types of players the team should and will be molded after...and they are perfect

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:17 PM
blandBob

Good move in my opinion. You can't fake quality and that's what both of these guys are. Not a bad core to have for the next while.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
The Thomas J.*

Gomex's production was what I expected, Drurys numbers weren't what I expected, a little on the low side. Drury's overall game was on par with what I was used too.

Both will have better seasons next year.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Fletch

The more I watch Briere...

the more I wish that was the guy the Rangers got. I like Drury and he had an up and down season. You cannot question his character one bit - class guy and he'll give all he's got. I just hope the cap increases where the Rangers won't feel as though they've overpaid.

I think Gomez had a great season. Best forward on this team. He has his lapses, but overall, can't complain one bit.

I do get scared for a team without Jagr - they need more than Gomez and Drury to shoulder the load.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
beastly115

Drury met my expectations and Gomez exceeded them.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Hated the contracts then, hate em even more now that a legit superstar is available, and one who plays the type of hockey that would fit into Tom Renneys game plan like a glove, and we cant afford him (hossa).

They arent superstars.

They are taking up cap space as if they are superstars.

Terrible contracts. Very very very good players.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:44 PM
pzilla3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Drury met my expectations and Gomez exceeded them.
exactly

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:54 PM
blandBob

I do think that not all investments pay off in a linear fashion. No idea how you measure $7 mil's worth. There might be an argument that Drury didn't earn it and Gomez did, or as you say Inferno that neither of them are worth it. Perhaps I should look around the league and compare stats for dollars paid to get a better idea, but that's not a total measure.

If Jagr comes back and we can bolster our defence, we could get someone 'on the cheap' to pot a few goals. Upgrade our defence, lots of people will do better.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Hated the contracts then, hate em even more now that a legit superstar is available, and one who plays the type of hockey that would fit into Tom Renneys game plan like a glove, and we cant afford him (hossa).

They arent superstars.

They are taking up cap space as if they are superstars.

Terrible contracts. Very very very good players.
I do sort've agree, but I think the Gomez contract is fine. Overpaying for one very good players is alright, overpaying for two very good players is bad. I feel like Drury (even with all the little things he does) is more of a complementary player then Gomez, who at least is a very good set up man. Just my two cents.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

gomez is awesome but he needs a hossa type of player to be great

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

They were the right moves for the future of the organization.

They need a surrounding cast though.

Gomez needs a scoring winger.

Drury does too. OR he needs to be moved to wing and he plays with Anisimov and Korpedo.

We shuold still re-sign Jagr. i hope.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
They were the right moves for the future of the organization.

They need a surrounding cast though.

Gomez needs a scoring winger.

Drury does too. OR he needs to be moved to wing and he plays with Anisimov and Korpedo.

We shuold still re-sign Jagr. i hope.
Thats the point though isnt it? Gomez needs this, Drury needs that. Guys who are paid 7+ million dollars should be able to create offense on their own. Maybe they shouldnt be expected to dominate every game like an Ovechkin or what have you, but they need to be able to do a whole lot more than what Gomez and Drury do.

Gomez is a 5 million dollar player, Drury is a 4.5 million dollar player. They are costing us about 4.5 million dollars in dead space that could go towards getting them the players they need to succeed.

Old
05-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Still VERY VERY VERY happy Gomez and Drury are NY Rangers

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Thats the point though isnt it? Gomez needs this, Drury needs that. Guys who are paid 7+ million dollars should be able to create offense on their own. Maybe they shouldnt be expected to dominate every game like an Ovechkin or what have you, but they need to be able to do a whole lot more than what Gomez and Drury do.

Gomez is a 5 million dollar player, Drury is a 4.5 million dollar player. They are costing us about 4.5 million dollars in dead space that could go towards getting them the players they need to succeed.
I agree, Inferno, i agree.

I don't love the amount of money they are making.

Kovalchuk is a 10 mil player, not Gomer or Drury.

But, maybe we solve the needs issue this off-season for relatively good prices. i.e: Ryder (cheaper then Shanny was this year) for Gomer and Anisimov+Korpedo for Drury. Drury really needs puck getters. Guys who forecheck hard, but have the skill to bury the puck. Dru is the guy on the line who goes to the net and gets the junk goal rebound or deflection.

Old
05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
mstraka82

Dru and Gomer were great pickups they just need better wingers by their side and i cant wait to see what happens next season with them!!!!

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:16 PM
TheHotRock

inferno, you need to stop *****ing. the only way we were gonna get these two iwas by overpaying. that's the market..deal with it. Brad Richards is a 7.8 mil cap hit and Gomez outperformed him. When talent hits the open market, the wallets open up...you'll never get a player the caliber of a Scott Gomez for 5 mil on the UFA market....it doesn't happen.

I'm happy we have these guys, can't wait for next year.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:17 PM
HockeyBurd*

Terrible contracts at the time. Still terrible. Gomez is the second best forward on the team. Can't complain about his play. Unfortunately these two contracts destroy any hope of adding the types of players that this team needs. Players that are actually worth that money. And when Jagr is gone next year, not having those types of players is really going to resonate.

Drury was a decent forward. He was very up and down. Worth 3.5 - 4 million if you count his intangible "clutch" super powers. Gomez is worth around 5.5 million. He's a very good 2nd line center and for most of the season was the teams best and most reliable player.

I wish they had signed Briere instead. This guy is much closer to being worth the money. But what can you do. Gomez and Drury are untradeable and here to stay. So all we can do is keep our fingers crossed.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
inferno, you need to stop *****ing. the only way we were gonna get these two iwas by overpaying. that's the market..deal with it. Brad Richards is a 7.8 mil cap hit and Gomez outperformed him. When talent hits the open market, the wallets open up...you'll never get a player the caliber of a Scott Gomez for 5 mil on the UFA market....it doesn't happen.

I'm happy we have these guys, can't wait for next year.
heres a wacky idea.

ready for it/

What if, they only signed one of those 2 guys, and kept Matt Cullen on the team?

Or, What if they signed neither of those players, and signed a guy like Robert Lang?

The point is, you pay guys what they are worth. If you cant get them at the right price, you let them walk.

The Devils did, and they still finished in the playoffs with a far worse team than we had.

Old
05-04-2008, 09:23 PM
mstraka82

Matt Cullen was a keeper , we used him wrong, i would love to have seen his passion this series

Old
05-04-2008, 09:23 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

This team needs cherepanov now!

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
Matt Cullen was a keeper , we used him wrong, i would love to have seen his passion this series
Maybe we got rid of Dupuis too quickly too. He was huge this series.

Old
05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Fletch

Cullen was used improperly...

that's for sure - but at the same time, there weren't a lot of options. Had the Rangers' brass known Dubi would be playing with Jagr thay could've saved the Drury money and kept Cullen to play on a third line (and PP point - still pissed Renney never consistently used him there). But, that's a bit short-sighted too as if Jagr's gone, is the team stronger next season with Cullen/Gomez/Dubi down the middle or what they have now. Them some tough decisions.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that's for sure - but at the same time, there weren't a lot of options. Had the Rangers' brass known Dubi would be playing with Jagr thay could've saved the Drury money and kept Cullen to play on a third line (and PP point - still pissed Renney never consistently used him there). But, that's a bit short-sighted too as if Jagr's gone, is the team stronger next season with Cullen/Gomez/Dubi down the middle or what they have now. Them some tough decisions.
cullen was my favorite ranger..wish we kept him

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:37 PM
mstraka82

It bothers me tooo that Renney didnt really use Cullen right, he was fast as Straks you need speed out there, like Gomer was fast but his linemates werent, gotta do better with line combinations in PRESEASON not in the regular seasaon when it gets toooo late