HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 What Went Wrong Revisted

Old
05-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

vCash: 500
If anything, I think this team surprised me with it's defense and disappointed me with it's offense.

Ironically I think the Cullen trade had a bigger impact than we thought. He could've brought scoring to the bottom two lines, chipped in when Avery and Straka went down and I think (if used properly) would've helped our PP.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
What went wrong:

The coaches somehow not figuring out the Pens ran the same plays with the same diagonal passes every single shift and telling the players to defend accordingly 1-3-1 style instead of their stubborn repeated 3-2 alignment.
Interesting.......

I would fear the Pens breakout speed in that alignment. If they get through your facing oddman rushes...

no?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
If anything, I think this team surprised me with it's defense and disappointed me with it's offense.

Ironically I think the Cullen trade had a bigger impact than we thought. He could've brought scoring to the bottom two lines, chipped in when Avery and Straka went down and I think (if used properly) would've helped our PP.

Mmmm

Cullen = No Dubinski

Have to swallow that one imo....Dubi is one of the most exciting homegrowns Ive seen in a Rangers uni in tooo long.

I guess you "could" put Drury on the wing and let Cullen play 3rd line C

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Mmmm

Cullen = No Dubinski

Have to swallow that one imo....Dubi is one of the most exciting homegrowns Ive seen in a Rangers uni in tooo long.

I guess you "could" put Drury on the wing and let Cullen play 3rd line C
On the contrary, I think Cullen and Dubinsky would've been on the same team.

Cullen would've been more of a utility forward. Playing all three forward positions, manning the point on powerplays. That is what Cullen's role should've been from the begining.

Cullen probably would've seen more action on the wings than Center on this team. Wing when Shanahan, Avery and Straka were out. Center when Gomez was hurting or when Dubinsky was out.

I think he would've made a good swingman on this team. In fact heading into the season I thought he might finally have a chance to put him in a role he was really designed for.

Old
05-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Interesting.......

I would fear the Pens breakout speed in that alignment. If they get through your facing oddman rushes...

no?
No. I'm talking about being in the defensive zone, if the puck was in the corner the Pens would often have one guy on the goal line, one at the half boards, one dead center but not in the crease maybe 10 ft. out, and a guy circling around the weakside with only 1 back at the blueline.

If the Rangers would clog up the wall (logical), the guy in the corner/goal line would center a diagonal pass back out to the slot, a la most video games.

If the Rangers clogged that lane, it would go to the guy on the half boards, the slot guy would collapse to the crease with a defenseman, and the halfboards guy would throw it cross-ice to the guy on the weak side.

Happened over and over and over and over and over. Rangers would repeatedly play their guys straight up from Lundqvist out, never adjusting to the side angles the puck would come in at.

Evil Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
No. I'm talking about being in the defensive zone, if the puck was in the corner the Pens would often have one guy on the goal line, one at the half boards, one dead center but not in the crease maybe 10 ft. out, and a guy circling around the weakside with only 1 back at the blueline.

If the Rangers would clog up the wall (logical), the guy in the corner/goal line would center a diagonal pass back out to the slot, a la most video games.

If the Rangers clogged that lane, it would go to the guy on the half boards, the slot guy would collapse to the crease with a defenseman, and the halfboards guy would throw it cross-ice to the guy on the weak side.

Happened over and over and over and over and over. Rangers would repeatedly play their guys straight up from Lundqvist out, never adjusting to the side angles the puck would come in at.
you mean people actually look at these kinds of things?

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:14 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
We also don't have any size up front besides Jagr. There is no way we can let him go. Sather should not sign any forward unless he is > 6'1".

We need an anchor on defense; when we are envious of the other team having Sergei Gonchar you know we are in a bad situation. Redden would be a perfect addition to this team. He had a bad year? Great, we need a project as I am sick of signing the "hot" player and have them underachieve (read Gomez/Drury). Redden was mediocre this year, but so was the entire Senators team- this is a perfect buying opportunity as his stock is low. Having a two-way defenseman will make us not force our forwards to play defense to help out our sub-par defensive corps.

Perry Pern coached him in Ottawa (I think), so I am sure he will give a consensus to the organization to see if he is the real deal.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Fletch

Cullen...

could've been Dubi's left winger - of course Cullen's salary was equal to Shanny's bonuses - so something would've had to give since this team didn't have the cap space for Cullen. And the operative term is 'if he was used properly'. I don't think he was used properly last season and am not convinced he would've been used properly this season.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
could've been Dubi's left winger - of course Cullen's salary was equal to Shanny's bonuses - so something would've had to give since this team didn't have the cap space for Cullen. And the operative term is 'if he was used properly'. I don't think he was used properly last season and am not convinced he would've been used properly this season.
And that's the rub on two fronts for me.

If we're going to get guys, we have to make sure we get them for a certain role. Not just because we want to get them. That will important again this offseason.

Second, I've not always been impressed with how this team has handled the cap. The fact of the matter is that this team shot itself in the foot with a bit too much extra salary baggage.

Old
05-05-2008, 10:24 PM
NYR Viper

the fact the rangers went into the season depending on shanahan to kepe up with the new pace of the rangers offence and paid him 5 million dollars is rediculous when cullen was already being paid what....4?.....cullen is faster, younger and good defensively plus he is more reliable......i hated the decision then and i never wanted the rangers to sign shanny because he was showing his age last year and i hated having to move cullen for salry room to sign shanny....i thought the team was trying to become more north-south and faster...not slower....

overall the rangers werent big enough to grind and they werent fast enough to skate around other teams....their players were either too young or too old and depending on drury(who played with practically everyone on the team) and gomez(who also couldnt find linemates to keep up with him) as the only two forwards even close to their peaks of their careers was a bad move....and next year will most likley be no different....

also, the defence was never shored up.......at the beginning of the yea

rozi-malik
girardi-tyutin
staal-mara
struds

that defence is filled with #4's and #5's....some players went up, some went down, but to start a season with that defence and expect to contend for a cup is not good....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:31 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
We also don't have any size up front besides Jagr. There is no way we can let him go. Sather should not sign any forward unless he is > 6'1".

We need an anchor on defense; when we are envious of the other team having Sergei Gonchar you know we are in a bad situation. Redden would be a perfect addition to this team. He had a bad year? Great, we need a project as I am sick of signing the "hot" player and have them underachieve (read Gomez/Drury). Redden was mediocre this year, but so was the entire Senators team- this is a perfect buying opportunity as his stock is low. Having a two-way defenseman will make us not force our forwards to play defense to help out our sub-par defensive corps.

Perry Pern coached him in Ottawa (I think), so I am sure he will give a consensus to the organization to see if he is the real deal.

If the Rangers couldn't re-sign Rozsival then I would go with Redden. Similar point-production and both get around the same amount of ice time. I actually think Redden would do more with the powerplay so he would be nice in that regard. WHen Rozsival isn't on one of his brutal streaks, I do think he's better in that he can be a touch more physical and better in other regards.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
the fact the rangers went into the season depending on shanahan to kepe up with the new pace of the rangers offence and paid him 5 million dollars is rediculous when cullen was already being paid what....4?.....cullen is faster, younger and good defensively plus he is more reliable......i hated the decision then and i never wanted the rangers to sign shanny because he was showing his age last year and i hated having to move cullen for salry room to sign shanny....i thought the team was trying to become more north-south and faster...not slower....

overall the rangers werent big enough to grind and they werent fast enough to skate around other teams....their players were either too young or too old and depending on drury(who played with practically everyone on the team) and gomez(who also couldnt find linemates to keep up with him) as the only two forwards even close to their peaks of their careers was a bad move....and next year will most likley be no different....

also, the defence was never shored up.......at the beginning of the yea

rozi-malik
girardi-tyutin
staal-mara
struds

that defence is filled with #4's and #5's....some players went up, some went down, but to start a season with that defence and expect to contend for a cup is not good....
Problem is that worts and all, Shanahan was still one of our better goal scorers. That tells you about all you need to know.