HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

YES or NO: Do we spend or save?

View Poll Results: Spend or Save?
Spend 43 64.18%
Save 24 35.82%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Cristobal Huet

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
YES or NO: Do we spend or save?

Simple question, do we spend to get a potential top tier center/winger to push us to the next level or do we save up to lock up our young guns long term?

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
I vote save.

*shameless bump *

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Live Forever

Why can't we do both? Locking up our young players long term while adding a UFA isn't out of the question. That's actually what most teams do.

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I haven't been paying attention to who will be available. But I would say "Save" and see what's happening towards the trade deadline.

05-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Guillemin

I say spend, but would prefer spending in terms of dealing prospects and picks for useful veterans than UFA pursuit.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:07 PM
LV Hab

I would say the team has a good amount of cap space going forward and we can definitely afford to bring in a big name UFA. If we can add one of these guys: Jagr, Sundin, Shanahan it would probably only be for 1-2 year deals or Brian Rolston maybe 3-4 year deal so it wouldn't really affect our ability to re-sign our core players in the future. I wouldn't go after Hossa, his contract will be really huge and long-term.

I know a lot of people expect Komi to get a huge contract something between 5 and 6 million a season, but I really think we overrate him a bit. Komisarek is a beast and want the guy here for a long time, but he is no Dion Phaneuf and I expect him to get a deal done for 3.5-4 million. Volchenkov is the defense man Komi is most comparable to and he recently signed a 3 year 7.5 mil deal.

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Not really a big expense here, but do you designate Price your number 1 goalie and sign a veteran back-up or do you let the two kids fight it out?

Blue'sClues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Not really a big expense here, but do you designate Price your number 1 goalie and sign a veteran back-up or do you let the two kids fight it out?
Very good question.

I really like Halak and think he's shown a lot of potential so far. But I wonder if having a veteran backup like a Curtis Joseph for example, would have benefited Price.

Not so much to challenge him for the #1 spot. But to be there as support.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:20 PM
The n00b King *

Hossa

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Poochie_D

Spend! Its our 100 year. If were ever going to spend, let it be now. Sign Hossa and lock up Price, Plekanec, Komisarek and the Kostitsyn's.

Poochie_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Bob is going 'all in' this offseason. Next season is a big year for the Habs and I expect him to be very aggressive.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:59 PM
RC51

Is clear the Habs need a budding great center.
Nothing in the UFA pool is that player.
how about he makes a RFA offer sheet for exactly what the habs need.
but who exactly?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Spend. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Worst case you end up in a New Jersey situation and have to do some creative stuff or trade away some players next summer. But that's next summer. For all we know, some of our players could fall off the map next season or not earn the raises we think they should get, etc. Saving might not be needed. Who knows. Win now if we can.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:02 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Is clear the Habs need a budding great center.
Nothing in the UFA pool is that player.
how about he makes a RFA offer sheet for exactly what the habs need.
but who exactly?
Hint: R_CK NA_H

edit: crap I thought he was RFA this summer, turns out he's not!

JackieChan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:04 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

This question is far too over-simplified (and that's an understatement).

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:37 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Spend, but spend wisely. No need to overpay for a guy like Rolston if he wants 4 or 5 mill a year or a long-term contract, we are deep in prospects so if we can't sign a good UFA then hopefully Gainey can acquire an impact player via the trade route.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Magic33

every year we say "ah we'll save and let our young guys develop"

eventually we have to spend, and its not a bad thing. spending properly can improve this team tremendously. We need a Big centerman, so Bobby G should work on that along with other things

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
every year we say "ah we'll save and let our young guys develop"

eventually we have to spend, and its not a bad thing. spending properly can improve this team tremendously. We need a Big centerman, so Bobby G should work on that along with other things
Only big centre available in UFA is Sundin.... if you wanna trade for one... I'm okay with that, but there is no UFA out there i want.

I'd take Sundin on a 1-2 year deal though. Maybe Toronto will screw him over and the thought of playing for a rival will be appealing.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Kriss E

I think we don't have a choice really. We finished 1st in East, therefore next year the expectations are not to just make the POs as an 8th seed.
We don't need to change our team THAT much, if we're to spend i think it should be for defenseman.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We don't need to change our team THAT much, if we're to spend i think it should be for defenseman.
Actually id prefer a big center with a mean streak in him because of the talent thats coming up at D. We need more goals.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
OneSharpMarble

Next year will be the decider whether or not Gainey has suceeded. I say get that high scoring winger we need and dump the excess.

Maybe someone should post a list of all ufa's for next year hint hint OP.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Actually id prefer a big center with a mean streak in him because of the talent thats coming up at D. We need more goals.
I know, I thought about that, then i figured we finished 1st in scoring. Technically, we don't need more scoring.
The only reason why id go with the big center is because i think a big powerfoward would perfectly center the Kost Broz. But then, what happens?..Koivu-Higgins-Lats becomes our 3rd line?..Who do we put with Kovalev-Plek?..I think adding a big center might bring more problem than help to be honest.

Adding a D like Liles or Campbell would really make our D something else. We'd have the best top4 D in the league hands down, not to mention we'll have Price in nets for a whole season and really get a chance to see how good he is. With Bouillon-Jorges-O'Byrne as 5-6-7th Ds. It also would give Gainey a lot of trade material come Deadline.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, and i wouldn't be surprised to see Gainey just get role players again.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I know, I thought about that, then i figured we finished 1st in scoring. Technically, we don't need more scoring.
The only reason why id go with the big center is because i think a big powerfoward would perfectly center the Kost Broz. But then, what happens?..Koivu-Higgins-Lats becomes our 3rd line?..Who do we put with Kovalev-Plek?..I think adding a big center might bring more problem than help to be honest.

Adding a D like Liles or Campbell would really make our D something else. We'd have the best top4 D in the league hands down, not to mention we'll have Price in nets for a whole season and really get a chance to see how good he is. With Bouillon-Jorges-O'Byrne as 5-6-7th Ds. It also would give Gainey a lot of trade material come Deadline.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, and i wouldn't be surprised to see Gainey just get role players again.
I want Rozival... and yes it would make us the best top 4 in the East.... Not in the league unless Niedermeyer retires again.

Pronger - Niedermeyer - Schneider - Beauchemin is too good.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:17 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I want Rozival... and yes it would make us the best top 4 in the East.... Not in the league unless Niedermeyer retires again.

Pronger - Niedermeyer - Schneider - Beauchemin is too good.
Talking to some Rags fans, after today's game they're willing to sell him for scrap. They say he wants $5M/season though. That's a hefty price tag for Rozey.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:23 AM
ari1160

i said spend. if you are always thinking of the future you will never be able to go the next step. we need to improve our D, and i think Rozival would be great. and we also need a player who can score, in playoffs we we had trouble scoring a lil bit and we need a guy like Hossa who can come up big when you need him the most. now i know Hossa and Rozival will be to much just to think of it with the habs, and after 2009 season we have few players who will become UFA that we need to sign ( Koivu, Kovy, Komi and etc .) Hossa will ask for big money but if we could get a player like Rolston or even Naslund would be great addition to our team along with Rozival as a D.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote