HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2004 Draft Revisited

Old
05-05-2008, 09:43 AM
johnny canuckistan

vCash: 500
2004 Draft Revisited

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2004e.html

I noticed last night that Lauri Korpikoski scored in his first NHL game for the Rangers, which surprised me. I had written off the three Finnish players that went in the first round, and I had also decided some time ago that it was not a particularly good or deep draft.

After reviewing some of the draftees, and noticing how many of them began to make an impact this season, I am coming to the conclusion that I am wrong. I certainly wouldn't argue that 04 was a deeper draft than 03, but I'm thinking it was probably the second best draft year of this decade: Ovechkin, Malkin, Green come to mind immediately as success stories, but what about some of the lesser lights like Brandon Dubinsky who have made a breakthrough this year?

I would be curious to know what others think of '04 as a draft year. Does it compare favourably with 2002 and 2005? It's probably too soon to judge 2006 and 2007, but does anyone have a feeling about those years?

Or, perhaps you think it's too soon to judge 2004. All opinions are valid, and since I'm bored I hope to get a dialogue going.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:49 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Petteri Nokelainen was a player I followed since he got drafted. He had those knee injuries in the minors and I thought he was in trouble for a while, but he was in Boston most of the season. he's the kind of player that nobody notices but will be a favourite of coaches and the Bruins stole him from the Isles. I guess you can't count out prospects until it's too late, unless you're Hugh Jessiman

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
PhoPhan

I'd say it's still too early to judge. The Coyotes now have the 5th and 6th pick from that draft, Blake Wheeler and Alvaro Montoya, and neither has played a game in the NHL yet. You could write them off as busts as a result, but I feel like that would be shortsighted. Wheeler is probably still a full year away from the NHL, but he still has vast potential, and while Montoya has stagnated in the AHL with injury problems (and, currently, Ilja Bryzgalov ahead of him on the depth chart for the foreseeable future), he has shown flashes from time to time. One of their second round picks, Enver Lisin, is slowly beginning to put it together, too. On top of that, Kevin Porter and Chad Kolarik turned pro a few weeks ago, and they look to be a terrific duo. On top of that, 9th-rounder Dan Winnik had a respectable rookie campaign and looks to be a fixture in the Coyotes' bottom six for a long time coming.

So, basically, while the Coyotes haven't seen much of a return from the 2004 draft, it's likely they'll have gotten a full line or two of legitimate NHL forward, including a few with top six potential, in one year. When all is said and done, I expect you'll be able to count the Coyotes as having had one of the best overall drafts that year.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
McNasty

I still think it's too early but that 03 class was one of a kind, i think only Hugh Jessiman is not currently at the NHL level out of the first round and several stars such as Bergeron and Weber came from other rounds.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
from the 04 draft for the Rangers: Korpikoski, Byers, Dubinsky and Callahan all played 1 game in the NHL. well 4 out of 13 players played in the NHL

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

The Caps had a heck of a draft that year, Ovechkin, Green, Schultz are already in the NHL. Lepisto and Bourque should make it there some day, Lepisto probably to stay and Bourque at least a cup of coffee. Beyond that, there are a few late round picks that are interesting. Hedman might actually have NHL talent someday, but I'm not expecting to see him here. Yunkov probably stays in the RSL forever. Andrew Gordon looks like a steal in some of his time in the AHL. I think he has NHL talent. Morin's a decent depth guy who probably will max out at the AHL and a cup of coffee. Kyle Wilson (a Minnesota Pick) is doing well in the AHL after coming out of nowhere.

But with a super star, Mike Green (where who knows his ceiling) and then a pretty good developing player in Schultz all in the first, I would be happy with that round alone.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:24 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
The Caps had a heck of a draft that year, Ovechkin, Green, Schultz are already in the NHL. Lepisto and Bourque should make it there some day, Lepisto probably to stay and Bourque at least a cup of coffee. Beyond that, there are a few late round picks that are interesting. Hedman might actually have NHL talent someday, but I'm not expecting to see him here. Yunkov probably stays in the RSL forever. Andrew Gordon looks like a steal in some of his time in the AHL. I think he has NHL talent. Morin's a decent depth guy who probably will max out at the AHL and a cup of coffee. Kyle Wilson (a Minnesota Pick) is doing well in the AHL after coming out of nowhere.

But with a super star, Mike Green (where who knows his ceiling) and then a pretty good developing player in Schultz all in the first, I would be happy with that round alone.
as a Rangers fan, whats up with Emiger, will he be moved? id take him on the rangers, he dont fit well with the Caps.

Old
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Abraham85

The 2004 draft was something of a disaster for the Minnesota Wild.

First round pick AJ Thelen wasn't resigned last summer and played in the ECHL (Texas Wildcatters) this season. He had a moderately succesful season and might still make it in the NHL, not sure he'll do it with the Minnesota Wild, though.

Second rounder Roman Voloshenko went back to Russia because he was too lazy to play under Constantine in the AHL. He had a disastrous season with Dynamo Moscow and I'm sure he never will play with the Wild.

Peter Olvecky has quietly improved his game in the AHL each passing season, not sure if he will make it in the big team though, because leftwings are something the Wild have in abundance.

Clayton Stoners career has been hampered by untimely injuries. He's still our best defensive prospect for now and I expect him to play in the NHL soon unless he gets injured yet again.

Ryan Jones is probably the pick that looks the best from 2004. A finalist for the Hobey Baker award this year and he scored 31 goals in 42 games in the NCAA. I have pretty high hopes for him and he just might play here next season.

Julien Sprunger seems to have had a good season this year, but I'm not sure that we'll sign him this summer.

Anton Khudobin has had a great season and was on the first ECHL all-star team and played 12 games in the AHL, with Houston Aeros, where he looked solid.

The rest of our picks are too uninteresting to mention, but they are not with the team in any way.

To sum it up: none of the players we picked back then have yet played for the team, and as of now, only two of them look certain to ever do so.

Last edited by Abraham85: 05-05-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
as a Rangers fan, whats up with Emiger, will he be moved? id take him on the rangers, he dont fit well with the Caps.
he wasn't drafted in this year.

Eminger must have slept with McPhee's wife or something, because they won't play him. He played in the playoffs mainly because Schultz wasn't healthy. He did pretty well and most Caps fans would like to see him play more. But he was just the #7. I just think in a lot of ways, Green and Poti played him out of a role. He doesn't play physically so much and Erskine does. I think that's also why when Eminger does play, he tries to hit more, it is to show he can be that guy.

Most still think Eminger could be an ok defenseman, maybe a 4-6 instead of a 1 or 2 when he was picked.... but he still will have a job. Maybe McPhee packages him this offseason. He is a RFA, and McPhee probably will offer him a deal, but Eminger wants to either have a chance at playing time or to be dealt. If Alzner makes the team or is better than Eminger in camp, he will probably be dealt.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Devils have a pretty solid player in Zajac from that draft. Eckford looks like a steal in the 7th, and that's about it. If those two both turn out to be players I'll be happy with it.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
he wasn't drafted in this year.

Eminger must have slept with McPhee's wife or something, because they won't play him. He played in the playoffs mainly because Schultz wasn't healthy. He did pretty well and most Caps fans would like to see him play more. But he was just the #7. I just think in a lot of ways, Green and Poti played him out of a role. He doesn't play physically so much and Erskine does. I think that's also why when Eminger does play, he tries to hit more, it is to show he can be that guy.

Most still think Eminger could be an ok defenseman, maybe a 4-6 instead of a 1 or 2 when he was picked.... but he still will have a job. Maybe McPhee packages him this offseason. He is a RFA, and McPhee probably will offer him a deal, but Eminger wants to either have a chance at playing time or to be dealt. If Alzner makes the team or is better than Eminger in camp, he will probably be dealt.
I know he was not drafted that year, i remember before green made it, that the hype was around Eminger about being a leader on d. well id def take him maybe eminger for prucha. prucha has skill and talent but renney dont like him for some reason. he is small and gets knocked down alot but has heart and is not afraid to go into the dirty areas of the ice.

Old
05-05-2008, 10:48 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

The habs did quite well that year

9th: Mark Streit - 60 pts this year. Disapointing playoffs due to his back injury

8th: Greg Stewart - Played one game (the last one) this season against the Leafs and impressed everyone. We were all disapointed he didnt get one game in the PO though. A Begin like guy, but...better and younger.

5th: Mikhail Grabovsky - Played in the NHL but future uncertain as we have enough players in his mold. May go and play in Russia next year. Fast and skilled but needs to work on his strength.

4th: J.T. Wyman - Might surprise a few. Future uncertain though.

3rd: Alexei Yemelin - One of the habs top D prospect. Should of already been in NA had he not been tricked by his agent (Ohhhhh Russia). He sports a mean streak.

2nd: no pick (traded for Alex Kovalev)

1st: Kyle Chipchura. Sure fire NHLer (already played some games). Potential future captain. Underated offensive upside.

2004 was a pretty good year for the habs, just a bit slow in development.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Zim

Chicago's 2004 draft wasn't bad.

1st Round: Barker has made big strides this year after a few injury plagued years which stunted his development. Still projects to be at least a 2nd pair d-man in the NHL with 1st pairing PP QB potential.

2nd Round: Bolland tore it up in London before moving to the AHL last year, he had a below par year offensively but he greatly improved his defensive game. He spent the 2nd half of this year in Chicago and with his strong offensive and defensive play meant he was a solid 3rd line centre. Even though Bolland is small he can lay some punishing body checks, he projects to be a solid 2nd line centre with 60 point potential who is good on the PP and PK.

Bickell was also selected in the 2nd round, he is a big big guy who has shown willingness to play physical and fight to protect his teammates, he also has a very good shot. However there have been a lot of questions about his level of commitment. At the end of this year he was named Rockford's most improved player. Highest upside is likely a big physical 3rd liner with 15-20 goal production.

Garlock: Not signed, busted.

Sindel: Putting up decent numbers in the Czech league and did well when he played in the WHL, very talented player but there are questions about whether he will withstand the physical NHL style. There have also been questions as to whether Sindel would be willing to come back across to NA. He needs to be signed this summer.

3rd Round: Berti is a big physical guy who will fight to protect his teammates. His offensive game seems to have disappeared and he has very limited NHL potential.

4th Round: Mitch Maunu was not signed, bust.

Hromas unlikely to be signed this year, most likely a bust.

5th Round: Trevor Kell not signed, bust

Jake Dowell is a strong character guy who is good on the PK and can lay some punishing hits, upside is NHL 4th liner.

6th Round: MucCuloch is a decent college player who has a chance of being signed this year, unlikely to reach the NHL.

7th Round: Kontiola is a very talented playmaker who had a good year in the finnish elite league last year and has had a good year in the AHL this year with a particularly strong second half to the season. His upside is a playmaking 2nd line centre.

Brouwer's development has somewhat stagnated this year but he still has impressive offensive skills putting up 76 goals in his last 2 AHL seasons. He is big and physical and has shown a willingness to fight to protect his teammates when needed. His main problem is his skating which he has been working on recently. His upside is a 2nd/3rd line power forward.

There were more people selected in the 8th and 9th rounds but all are very unlikely to reach the NHL in any capacity.

So all in all 7 players from this draft has played in the NHL. Bolland and Barker have established themselves as NHLers, Dowell, Brouwer and Kontiola have good shots to make Chicago's team out of camp next year.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Heat McManus

It is early, but 2006 is undoubtedly better than 2004.

So far 9 out of the top 10 picks from 2006 are NHLers. Five others have already seen time as well. A bunch of other picks are locks as well.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
johnny canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
It is early, but 2006 is undoubtedly better than 2004.

So far 9 out of the top 10 picks from 2006 are NHLers. Five others have already seen time as well. A bunch of other picks are locks as well.
You're right to point out that the top ten in '06 was pretty awesome. In fact, the top 13 all appear to be bona fide so far.

By looking at the overall depth of Washington, Chicago and the Rangers' draft lists for '04, though - that's a better picture to me of what the draft was like. Apart from Minnesota, did any teams have a particularly unsuccessful draft in 04?

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:12 PM
eldiablo17

It was a pretty good draft for the Canucks as well. The notables;

1st round: Cory Schneider

3rd round: Alex Edler

5th round: Mike Brown (seeing time on the 4th line for us)

9th round: Jannik Hansen

but 2006 is looking like a better draft. Alot of NHL ready players already.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Still too early to judge most definitley and guys like Korpikoski prove that. Plus there are many, many players from this class still developing and are likely to become fine NHLers (Ryan Jones, Bryan Bickell etc.) Heck even the dynamic 2003 draft is still 2-4 years away from being able to judge properly.

I expect the Sharks' to have four NHLers come out of their 2004 draft class with their mid-round selections proving to be their most astute ones.

Torrey Mitchell (4th round) is a terrific third line center in the NHL already and Steve Zalewski (5th round) is soon to join him.

Thomas Greiss (3rd round) is right up there with the best goalies to come out of this class and projects to be our starter when Nabby retires/moves on.

Lukas Kaspar (1st round) remains an enigma but has developed into a play making two-way winger that can kill penalties and should be a full-time SJ Shark next year.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:33 PM
daethfromabove1979

leafs got pogge at 90 so they didn't do too bad there

then took kukemberg who i think they had to because of an agreement with robert svehla and hes turned into nothing special

dimitri vorobiev would be great if only we could get him over

robbie earl is doing pretty well in the minors and could see decent time with the big club next year

three more guys with no real future in toronto but i'll give pierce norton a small chance

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
The Fuhr

2004 draft Sens
Andrej Meszaros - Third highest point producer from 2004

Peter Regin - Producing well in Sweden, top six upside

Alexander Nikulin - 3rd line center

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:06 PM
MaxV

1. Evgeni Malkin (C) - Yeah, decent pick.
2 Johannes Salmonsson (LW) - Doesn't look like he'll ever become the player they though he'd be. Bad pick.
2 Alex Goligoski (D) - Currently, the top prospect in the organization. Could be an excellent D-man for a long time. Great pick.
3 Nick Johnson (RW) - Recently turned pro. Probably won't be a star, but he does have a shot of being an NHL player. Good pick.
3 Brian Gifford (C) - Wasted pick.
4 Tyler Kennedy (C) - Already in the NHL and he shows quiet a bit of upside. His future might be as a winger playing along side Crosby or Malkin. Good pick.
5 Michal Sersen (D) - Eh.
6 Moises Gutierrez (RW) - Eh.
7 Chris Peluso (D) - Eh.
7 Jordan Morrison (D) - Eh.
8 David Brown (G) - Big time steal at this point. Improved by an ENOURMOUS amount the season following this draft. He's still not a finished product, but he has the ability to be a solid NHL goaltender. Great pick.

Overall: Salmonsson is a dissappointment, but this still looks like a very good draft class for the Pens.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Belgican

Michal Sersen was so great in the Memorial Cup won by the Nordiques err Remparts, where is he right now, can't believe this guy is not playing in the NHL right now !

Belgican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
6 Moises Gutierrez (RW) - Eh.
7 Jordan Morrison (D) - Eh.
Funny enough, when I played EHM 2006 (I think), these two guys always used to whoop ass in training camp for me. I know video games aren't exactly a predictor of real-life production, but I was always tricked into thinking these two guys were studs.

Also, I'm surprised Sersen is not in the NHL or AHL right now either. I believe it was a personal decision though. He looked good in camp a couple years back.

Pensfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:32 PM
madpooh

Buffalo did all right still waiting for guys to define there roles though.

1 rd 14 Drew Stafford- Was a little injured this year 16-22 in 48 games.
2 rd 43 Mike Funk- Played 9 games as call up.
3 rd 71 Andrej Sekera- Shuttled between Buffalo and Rochester but expected to be in the top 6
6 rd 176 Patrick Kaleta- He hits and is a decent 4th line energy guy
7 rd 207 Mark Mancari- Probably an AHL lifer
8 rd 241 Mike Card- Still a prospect

madpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham85 View Post
The 2004 draft was something of a disaster for the Minnesota Wild.

First round pick AJ Thelen wasn't resigned last summer and played in the ECHL (Texas Wildcatters) this season. He had a moderately succesful season and might still make it in the NHL, not sure he'll do it with the Minnesota Wild, though. Agreed

Second rounder Roman Voloshenko went back to Russia because he was too lazy to play under Constantine in the AHL. He had a disastrous season with Dynamo Moscow and I'm sure he never will play with the Wild. Agreed

Peter Olvecky has quietly improved his game in the AHL each passing season, not sure if he will make it in the big team though, because leftwings are something the Wild have in abundance. Agreed he improved but it will be hard to make the pros since he isn't our best prospect, just a solid player

Clayton Stoners career has been hampered by untimely injuries. He's still our best defensive prospect for now and I expect him to play in the NHL soon unless he gets injured yet again. I think Reitz will make it before he will but agreed, injuries and all...

Ryan Jones is probably the pick that looks the best from 2004. A finalist for the Hobey Baker award this year and he scored 31 goals in 42 games in the NCAA. I have pretty high hopes for him and he just might play here next season. Agreed. Think he will be a good to solid 3rd liner

Julien Sprunger seems to have had a good season this year, but I'm not sure that we'll sign him this summer. Not so sure. He has 3 goals in 2 games in the IIHF tournament and has played the 4th least ice time out of the whole players team, plus, he is a highly regarded player in the Swiss league at his age

Anton Khudobin has had a great season and was on the first ECHL all-star team and played 12 games in the AHL, with Houston Aeros, where he looked solid. I hope he can make it. Heard its consistency issues

The rest of our picks are too uninteresting to mention, but they are not with the team in any way.

To sum it up: none of the players we picked back then have yet played for the team, and as of now, only two of them look certain to ever do so. I'll add there is hope for 2 other players as well
So I agreed mostly but I like Sprunger.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
For Colorado, Wolski is still growing into his own, but is a very solid pick. After that it's a bunch of meh....Oreskovich retired from professional hockey. The rest are minor leaguers at best. Parshin is still intriguing, but so small and is unlikely to ever come state side.

Last edited by Jori: 05-05-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote