HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Michael Blunden

Old
05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

vCash: 500
Michael Blunden

What is his upside ? If i ask it's because he's a player who intrigue me and i don't see much talk about him on the boards.

I don't know much about him but from what i have seen he seems to be a big physical right winger with some offensive upside. He was a 2nd round pick so scouts must have seen some potential in him.

Can someone give me a good analysis on him ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:47 AM
fullmetalninja

I don't think a lot of people know at this point.

I do know that the hawks are still pretty high on him, and according to Tim Sassone received several teams that wanted him at the deadline.

I think he's a wait-and-see type player. Skating and size are certainly there but who knows if that will ever mean production.

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:21 PM
deanosaur

all i know he is he played for team canada at the world juniors so hes gotta be a good player, it seems past few years those team canada players turn out to be pretty good. most of them anyways.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
GaryU

I think his hands are still catching up with his large body...Very good skater, forechecks at high speed...

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I really wonder if Chicago is going to ever get something out of all those power forwards they picked a 3-4 years ago who have names that start with B's.

Blunden, Bickell, Brouwer and Berti (although he looks like a lost cause).

What's the deal Hawks fans? Which one is the most likely to be with the Hawks next year and which one has the best potential going forward?

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
GaryU

Brouwer's shown the most O...Bickell is the biggest & still developing...Blunden could play on a checking line right now...Unfortunately, we also have the Adams bros & Bourque that we need to drop.

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Brock

He missed almost an entire year of development last year due to suffering that season ending (was it shoulder?) injury. Last year was to be his first full time professional season. So this year, really ended up being his first professional season. His numbers really weren't that bad considering that Rockford is loaded with young talent and you can only get so much ice time.

I've always liked him as a prospect and I think he does have offensive potential for the NHL. I think he does have good hands and is capable of being a 20 goal scorer in the NHL. Let's not forget that once upon a time Blunden appeared in the OHL coaches poll for having one of the best shots in the OHL.

Next year is a big developmental year for him. He should be able to take the next step offensively (likely in the AHL) and show Hawk staff that he is ready for a full time promotion for the 2009-2010 season.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU View Post
Brouwer's shown the most O...Bickell is the biggest & still developing...Blunden could play on a checking line right now...Unfortunately, we also have the Adams bros & Bourque that we need to drop.
Brouwer hasn't shown jack ****. He's a flat out horrible skater and I doubt he ever cracks an NHL roster full time. If, by some miracle, he can improve his skating to such a level that he's not a gigantic liability on the ice, he has good hands and a nose for the net.

Blunden is pretty solid all around, I'm never really worried when he's on the ice. I'm pretty sure he'll turn into something. Next year is a big year for him in the AHL.

Berti is a mediocre fighter with few redeeming qualities.

Bickell is the best player of the bunch by far. The biggest, the meanest, the best shot. Unfortunately, he's also the laziest. I've seen him play in maybe a half-dozen AHL games in the past couple years and he's only shown up for three or four periods total. When he decides to show up, he's a force on the ice. I was very happy with his play during his recall to the Blackhawks this year and am cautiously optimistic that he'll get his head on straight and start playing consistently.

----

When it's all said and done, Bourque is a far better player than any of these guys right now and I don't get where the hatred is coming from. It's true that without improvement he is unlikely to keep his job for very long but don't look to this bunch for his replacement.

ETA: Yeah, it was a shoulder thing. Apparently, pretty serious.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post

Bickell is the best player of the bunch by far. The biggest, the meanest, the best shot. Unfortunately, he's also the laziest. I've seen him play in maybe a half-dozen AHL games in the past couple years and he's only shown up for three or four periods total. When he decides to show up, he's a force on the ice. I was very happy with his play during his recall to the Blackhawks this year and am cautiously optimistic that he'll get his head on straight and start playing consistently.
That was the same Bickell who played in the OHL. When he wanted to, he could dominate a game. Too bad that was much less than 50% of the time.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:36 PM
fullmetalninja

Disagree on Brouwer completely. This thread is about Blunden, so I'll just say that if Blunden had Brouwer's hands he'd be a force. He doesn't and probably never will.

Brouwer has not only great hands, he has probably the best release of any hawk prospect.

I agree that his skating needs work, but IMO that has more to do with his ability to be effective on the forecheck. Byfuglien is not a great skater either, nor are any number of guys who make their money around the net (as Brouwer will).

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:34 AM
voxel

The Hawks can add Byfuglien to their B-list. I'm glad to see Chicago not clouded by draft pedigree.

He might be the best of all of them.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote