HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cats get three signed

Old
05-06-2008, 02:58 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Frolik > 10th selection in the 2nd round.
Clearly, but atleast if he doesn't get signed we do get something out of it.

There could also be the potential to trade him to another team if a deal isn't going to get done.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:11 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Clearly, but atleast if he doesn't get signed we do get something out of it.

There could also be the potential to trade him to another team if a deal isn't going to get done.
Maybe we could draft him again in the 2nd round?

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Yup, he sure can.
That really sucks! I hope JM can get a deal done soon!!!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
That really sucks! I hope JM can get a deal done soon!!!
We were all a bit on edge as whether we could get Horton, Allen, and Weiss signed last season and Martin did a good job with those signing last off-season. I'm sure he'll get the others re-signed.

05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
That's probably not what the holdup is. They are probably just taking a long time because they are negotiating over bonuses. Frolik's camp probably wants bonuses close to or equivalent to a #1 overall pick. I'm sure it'll get done, it just might take a while.
You're probably right about that. I'm all for bonuses. Give the kid all sorts of bonuses. If it hurts our cap situation because we're paying the kid 5 million in bonuses (not likely, just hypothetical), we are in a good situation.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
You're probably right about that. I'm all for bonuses. Give the kid all sorts of bonuses. If it hurts our cap situation because we're paying the kid 5 million in bonuses (not likely, just hypothetical), we are in a good situation.
Didn't the CBA limit rookie contract bonuses so that they can do no more than double the value of the contract?

05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
We were all a bit on edge as whether we could get Horton, Allen, and Weiss signed last season and Martin did a good job with those signing last off-season. I'm sure he'll get the others re-signed.
I agree JM has done a great job signing our own players, but I would just feel a little better if Frolik and Bouw for that matter were already signed(Bouw to a long term deal). The longer it goes(Them not being signed) the more frustrated we as fans continue to get.

Old
05-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Didn't the CBA limit rookie contract bonuses so that they can do no more than double the value of the contract?
I'm not sure what the limit is, but there was definitely a limit of some sorts in the CBA.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Nope, the bonuses can be bigger than that. I know that Malkin, Crosby, and Kane all have bonuses totaling 2.85 mil for each year of their three year entry level contracts. So even though the rookie max is $984,000 I believe, they are all making almost 4 million a year. I can understand JM not wanting to pay 4 million or even anything close to that to Frolik just yet, if that's in the neighborhood of what he's asking for. Like I said, I'm sure something will get done, but it might take a while to get things ironed out.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:20 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Nope, the bonuses can be bigger than that. I know that Malkin, Crosby, and Kane all have bonuses totaling 2.85 mil for each year of their three year entry level contracts. So even though the rookie max is $984,000 I believe, they are all making almost 4 million a year. I can understand JM not wanting to pay 4 million or even anything close to that to Frolik just yet, if that's in the neighborhood of what he's asking for. Like I said, I'm sure something will get done, but it might take a while to get things ironed out.
Well they're performance bonuses, so with the offense as pathetic as it is on our team, JM should be more than willing to draw up some bonuses, as it could make him play with some fire perhaps, when most of our team lacks that night after night. It's not like bonuses are a cakewalk to achieve, so in order to make extra, he has to be performing at a great level, which will only help us.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Well they're performance bonuses, so with the offense as pathetic as it is on our team, JM should be more than willing to draw up some bonuses, as it could make him play with some fire perhaps, when most of our team lacks that night after night. It's not like bonuses are a cakewalk to achieve, so in order to make extra, he has to be performing at a great level, which will only help us.
True, but that's still a lot of money for a #10 overall pick, pretty much unheard of. Again, I'm sure they'll get it worked out, but there's nothing wrong with negotiating, as the two sides may be really far apart right now. It's JM's job to try to get the contract down as low as possible, no sense in jumping at the first offer and handing him Crosby/Malkin money.

Old
05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
True, but that's still a lot of money for a #10 overall pick, pretty much unheard of. Again, I'm sure they'll get it worked out, but there's nothing wrong with negotiating, as the two sides may be really far apart right now. It's JM's job to try to get the contract down as low as possible, no sense in jumping at the first offer and handing him Crosby/Malkin money.
He doesn't get it guaranteed. He gets it if he scores a certain number, gets a certain number of points, plays a certain number of games, leads team in certain category, top 3 calder voting, etc...

It's not like we're handing out money without making him produce (a lot) to earn it. If he scores 30 goals his rookie year (probably not going to happen) and makes 2 million because of it, I'd be ecstatic, and I'm sure the team would be as well. If he doesn't reach high bonuses, his contract stays at 850K. He's a top prospect, regardless of whether he went 10th overall or not. He was one of the premier prospects of his age group but he dropped off for a bit. He's since improved a lot and has some star potential. If he can reach lofty bonuses, he deserves to get paid.

Old
05-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
He doesn't get it guaranteed. He gets it if he scores a certain number, gets a certain number of points, plays a certain number of games, leads team in certain category, top 3 calder voting, etc...

It's not like we're handing out money without making him produce (a lot) to earn it. If he scores 30 goals his rookie year (probably not going to happen) and makes 2 million because of it, I'd be ecstatic, and I'm sure the team would be as well. If he doesn't reach high bonuses, his contract stays at 850K. He's a top prospect, regardless of whether he went 10th overall or not. He was one of the premier prospects of his age group but he dropped off for a bit. He's since improved a lot and has some star potential. If he can reach lofty bonuses, he deserves to get paid.
I know that he wouldn't get all the money guaranteed, still doesn't change the fact that they won't pay him Crosby/Malkin like performance bonuses, however unlikely it would be that he reached them. Yes, he's a top prospect, but he was still a #10 overall pick, and they won't offer him bonuses that high, I assure you. You may think it's stupid, but that's just the way it is. I don't make the rules. Only #1-2 overall picks get those kinds of bonuses usually. Him getting 2 million including bonuses, yeah, I can see that happening. 4 million? The chances are slim to none that would happen.

Old
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
grind your soul
Belak forever

Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
Looks like I'm staying a de facto Panthers fan for the next while thanks to the re-signing of Wade. So with that I say, GO PANTHERS I'll have to dig my Panthers cap out of the closet for next season!

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Nice to see Wade and Kamil signed. JM just has to continue locking players up and solidifying the lineup...especially Jay.

Any potential coaching candidate wants to have a good idea of what team he's inheriting.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Jay, Olesz, Campbell and one of Cullimore/Montador now must be signed.

And Frolik, of course.

At forward, we now have Jokinen, Belak, Kreps, Weiss, Horton, Stumpel, McLean, Zednik, Dvorak, Pelts, Booth, and Kilger under contract for next season. That's 12 forwards. Olesz will undoubtedly sign and Campbell probably will too. That's 14. I doubt we see any other personnel moves up front... that means no addition by subtraction (Stumpel).

On defense, we have Allen, Van Ryn, Skrastins, Murphy, and Welch. Assuming we sign Bouwmeester and either Cullimore or Monty that's seven. That should leave room for that one puck-moving D-man Martin keeps talking about.

I hope to God JM's plan works out to perfection.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Jay, Olesz, Campbell and one of Cullimore/Montador now must be signed.

And Frolik, of course.

At forward, we now have Jokinen, Belak, Kreps, Weiss, Horton, Stumpel, McLean, Zednik, Dvorak, Pelts, Booth, and Kilger under contract for next season. That's 12 forwards. Olesz will undoubtedly sign and Campbell probably will too. That's 14. I doubt we see any other personnel moves up front... that means no addition by subtraction (Stumpel).

On defense, we have Allen, Van Ryn, Skrastins, Murphy, and Welch. Assuming we sign Bouwmeester and either Cullimore or Monty that's seven. That should leave room for that one puck-moving D-man Martin keeps talking about.

I hope to God JM's plan works out to perfection.
Rosters are capped at 23 players...per your math, 14 forwards + 2 goalies + 8 defensemen = 24 players. So if Cullimore or Montador is signed plus another puck-mover then that puts you over the roster limit. Maybe the only way around that is if Kilger refuses to report still and the team suspends him again.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Rosters are capped at 23 players...per your math, 14 forwards + 2 goalies + 8 defensemen = 24 players. So if Cullimore or Montador is signed plus another puck-mover then that puts you over the roster limit. Maybe the only way around that is if Kilger refuses to report still and the team suspends him again.
You don't want that many guys sitting around not playing either. Kilger may continue to be a flake and the team might decide to send Stumpel/Peltonen on a vacation to the minors if it comes to that. Also, trades are a possibility.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I think Monty is gone. As much as Id like to see him resign, I just dont see it happening. I think we need to sign Cully, and probably one more Dman. If that happens, then we set at D, with the return of Bouw of course. The problem lies at the forward spot. We wont be able to add anything there unless someone is moved or cut, unless Martin is going to use some in the minors or as scratches.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Or Campbell, Welch, and even Kreps being bounced back and forth between the NHL and the A.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Or Campbell, Welch, and even Kreps being bounced back and forth between the NHL and the A.
I'm pretty sure Welch is on a one way contract now and would have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL. Maybe not but I seem to think that is the case, and I certainly wouldn't want to lose him to waivers. I'd be very upset if Kreps was sent down. I think we should dump Campbell somehow longggg before Kreps. Campbell's offensive game is nearly non-existant. He scores here and there but not nearly enough for the type of game he brings and the number of chances he gets.

Old
05-07-2008, 10:48 PM
zeroG

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Welch is on a one way contract now and would have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL. Maybe not but I seem to think that is the case, and I certainly wouldn't want to lose him to waivers. I'd be very upset if Kreps was sent down. I think we should dump Campbell somehow longggg before Kreps. Campbell's offensive game is nearly non-existant. He scores here and there but not nearly enough for the type of game he brings and the number of chances he gets.
has anyone seen the details of his deal? i would be surprised, no, shocked, if it was a 2 year, 2 way deal after this season. in fact, that's pretty silly, when you think about it. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that sending kreps down is not happening.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

I think JM will be looking to trade Murphy this offseason, probably for a pick. Even if he can't, his contract is cheap and we can buy him out without really feeling any affects on the cap. If we re-sign Bouw and get that puck moving d-man, there will be no room or need for Murphy anymore. He would be 7th or 8th on the depth chart IMO, and since we already have 14 forwards assuming Olesz and Campbell are both resigned which they will be, and unlikely that Peltonen or Stumpel will be moved, we will most likely only carry 7 defensemen next year.

Old
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Stumpel & Van Ryn will hopefully be traded for a winger. That will illiminate 1 roster spot.

Old
05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
I think JM will be looking to trade Murphy this offseason, probably for a pick. Even if he can't, his contract is cheap and we can buy him out without really feeling any affects on the cap. If we re-sign Bouw and get that puck moving d-man, there will be no room or need for Murphy anymore. He would be 7th or 8th on the depth chart IMO, and since we already have 14 forwards assuming Olesz and Campbell are both resigned which they will be, and unlikely that Peltonen or Stumpel will be moved, we will most likely only carry 7 defensemen next year.
Murphy's making way too much money for him being as bad as he is. That wasn't a good deal handed out by Jacques. He's so terrible defensively, and aside from a booming slapshot that he rarely ever uses, the only thing he does is pass the puck around well on the PP, and he wasn't even doing that at the end of the year.