HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Getting back into shape

Old
05-04-2008, 02:08 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
OT: Getting back into shape

Didn't want to post this in the lounge and since we've got so many resident doc's around here thought maybe I could get some advice.

Before I moved to Taiwan 2 years ago I worked out fairly regularly, mostly weight lifting and a little cardio. For the last 2 years I did pretty much no exercise. Partly because the thought of running or riding a bike here scares the **** out of me, not to mention the air quality in the town I live in is down right horrendous at times.

However my wife and I joined a huge gym that's not too far from our house and I'm looking to get back into shape.

My question mainly falls around diet actually. I generally work out at night after work, generally from 9:30-11 PM or so.

It's not easy for me to eat dinner at work however and I don't have time to scarf down dinner before I head to the gym (it closes by midnight so it's not like I have a lot of time to spare).

Lately I've just been packing a sandwhich and a banana or something else to have at work and I think it's been ok but I'm not sure if there's better things I could be eating.

I'm also wondering if it's ok for me to eat dinner after my workout. If not, I'm going to have to figure out what to do, because by the time I'm done with my workout and even having had a sandwhich and fruit earlier I'm still starving.

Otherwise I'm happy to get back into the swing of things. I'm going at least 4 times a week if not 5 or 6. Do at least 30 minutes of cardio, stretch, then either do upper or lower body weightlifting. I'm also doing quite a few exercises to strengthen my abs and back as I've had lower back pain for years. I'm lucky in that the gym I go to has a huge free weight area as well as a ton of machines, mostly Cybex and Life Fitness.

Above all I'm just trying to get back into shape, get more energy and lose a bit of fat. I'm not looking to bulk up and have no desire to look like Mr. Olympia. I actually like the weight I'm at now, just my fat % is too high (had it checked recently at it was 23%).

Any help, words of advice or just encouragement is appreciated.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
I'm also wondering if it's ok for me to eat dinner after my workout. If not, I'm going to have to figure out what to do, because by the time I'm done with my workout and even having had a sandwhich and fruit earlier I'm still starving.
I don't know anything about your other questions, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to eat right after you workout. Like within 15-30 minutes tops you should be eating something with high carbs/protein and low fat to replace all the energy you burned off. I think it aids in muscle repair.

But above all what I've learned about health and internet, take every piece of advice with a grain of salt. Everybody's body is different and there are no "facts" in the fitness world. Its all a bunch of theories. I just laugh when people get in arguments over workouts and stuff because everybody thinks they know the "right" answer. Also the rink forum has some good advice in it.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Golf, I'd love to help, but I just don't know right now. This might get the most help on the lounge forum...