HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The Official MMA Thread - Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
  #1
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
The Official MMA Thread - Part V

Fifth anniversary!

Sengoku II as at issue at the end of the last thread. Here's the last 3 posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Here's how Sengoku II is shaping up.

Josh Barnett vs. Jeff Monson
Roger Gracie vs. Yuki Kondo
Jorge Santiago vs. Yuki Sasaki
Kwang Hee Lee vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
Satoru Kitaoka vs. Ian Schaffa
Yoshihiro Nakao vs. Jim York
Dan Hornbuckle vs. Mike Pyle
Ryo Kawamura vs. Kevin Randleman

Pretty crappy card. I'm excited for Barnett vs Monson, but it probably won't be excited. Santiago/Sasaki could be exciting, and Roger Gracie should win in impressive fashion. Regardless a crappy card overall. Dream is definitely leading the post-Pride Japan scene currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
Yeah its really not very good. The only fights I really want to see are the ones with Kawamura / Randleman, Monson / Barnett, and the Roger Gracie fight. Even those aren't THAT good. I guess Schaffa and Pyle aren't too bad either but ideally i'd like to see some more recognizable names on the card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Yuki Kondo fighting someone wayyyyy bigger than him again. He's not a bad fighter, but he really needs to learn.

Ensane is offline  
Old
05-05-2008, 04:21 PM
  #2
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Thread given the stickiest of the icky.

Transported Upstater is offline  
Old
05-05-2008, 04:37 PM
  #3
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Huerta

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...6206&zoneid=13

Roger is going to train with Greg Jackson. Should be a good move for him.

DaaaaB's is offline  
Old
05-05-2008, 04:40 PM
  #4
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...6206&zoneid=13

Roger is going to train with Greg Jackson. Should be a good move for him.
GOod move for sure. He was in St. Pierre's corner for the Serra fight last month, so St. Pierre must talked to him a bit. Jackson's fantastic at getting his guys ready and implementing a game plan. Huerta has lost focused at times (Doug Evans fight) and can be a little too reckless, so smart move IMO.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-05-2008, 05:00 PM
  #5
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
UFC cuts continue
http://mmajunkie.com/news/4281/repor...d-hironaka.mma
Quote:
The UFC has cut former UFC lightweight contender Din Thomas (22-8 MMA, 5-4 UFC), "The Ultimate Fighter 6" runner-up Tommy Speer (9-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC) and Shooto veteran Kuniyoshi Hironaka (11-5 MMA, 1-3 UFC) from its roster of fighters
Couldn't care less about Hironaka, and Speers. Too bad about Thomas though, he always seems to get close, then craps the bed.

Quote:
UFC officials have recently stated that they want to trim the roster to assure fighters can be scheduled more frequently and to avoid long layoffs between fights.
That's a smart move IMO. Title holders are still only going to get 3 fights max, but a guy like Huerta, who fought 5 times for the UFC last year was the exception not the rule, I think that should be reversed. Up and coming fighters who are healthy, and want to, should be able to compete every couple months if possible.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
  #6
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
UFC cuts continue
http://mmajunkie.com/news/4281/repor...d-hironaka.mma

Couldn't care less about Hironaka, and Speers. Too bad about Thomas though, he always seems to get close, then craps the bed.


That's a smart move IMO. Title holders are still only going to get 3 fights max, but a guy like Huerta, who fought 5 times for the UFC last year was the exception not the rule, I think that should be reversed. Up and coming fighters who are healthy, and want to, should be able to compete every couple months if possible.
Love to see Thomas in WEC. In the UFC LW division, after his injury/loss to Florian, he really became a small fish in a big pond.

I'm amazed that they cut Speer so quickly. But then again, aside from his fluke KO of George Sotiropolous (which IMO was a direct result of the eye poke), he pretty much lay and prayed his way to the finals.

Ensane is offline  
Old
05-05-2008, 05:53 PM
  #7
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Love to see Thomas in WEC. In the UFC LW division, after his injury/loss to Florian, he really became a small fish in a big pond..
I think that would be a smart move, for both Thomas and Zuffa. Faber-Thomas would be an exciting title fight.

Quote:

I'm amazed that they cut Speer so quickly. But then again, aside from his fluke KO of George Sotiropolous (which IMO was a direct result of the eye poke), he pretty much lay and prayed his way to the finals
Maybe they'll put him in the WEC as well. He was one of the few guys who was actually in the Zuffa controlled WEC before being on the show, so wouldn't surprise me to see him end up there again.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
  #8
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
GOod move for sure. He was in St. Pierre's corner for the Serra fight last month, so St. Pierre must talked to him a bit. Jackson's fantastic at getting his guys ready and implementing a game plan. Huerta has lost focused at times (Doug Evans fight) and can be a little too reckless, so smart move IMO.
Definitely a good move for Huerta. Not only is he getting the sparring partners and training regimen, but the Jackson-formulated fight plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
UFC cuts continue
http://mmajunkie.com/news/4281/repor...d-hironaka.mma

Couldn't care less about Hironaka, and Speers. Too bad about Thomas though, he always seems to get close, then craps the bed.


That's a smart move IMO. Title holders are still only going to get 3 fights max, but a guy like Huerta, who fought 5 times for the UFC last year was the exception not the rule, I think that should be reversed. Up and coming fighters who are healthy, and want to, should be able to compete every couple months if possible.
I also like the cuts, because it sends a message to the rest of the fighters in the organization: you better fight and fight like your career is on the line - everytime.

I've said it before, but the best strategy for the UFC to pursue is a prospect building one. Much like a good NHL franchise, they've got to acquire the young talent to keep things fresh and to keep competition levels high. Nobody wants to see Kalib Starnes or Tim Sylvia fight the way they have, and now perhaps we'll begin to see less of that if fighters know they'll get cut for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I think that would be a smart move, for both Thomas and Zuffa. Faber-Thomas would be an exciting title fight.


Maybe they'll put him in the WEC as well. He was one of the few guys who was actually in the Zuffa controlled WEC before being on the show, so wouldn't surprise me to see him end up there again.
He'd been talking about a move down a while ago, but I suspect that is because he got wind of his release (or perhaps he talked to the UFC about moving down). Either way, I agree that he'd be a nice addition to the WEC.

BigE is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 08:01 AM
  #9
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 5,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
He tested positive for steroids -- along with Sherk -- on July 19th 2007. He is suspended until July 5th 2008.
I knew that, I'm just confused over the length and the hush over him. It seems that he and Sherk did the same thing but one of them is getting treated a little worse than the other.

I just hope that he is back with the UFC once the suspension is up, he really had got his career on the right track.

Captain_Cunney is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 11:49 AM
  #10
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I knew that, I'm just confused over the length and the hush over him. It seems that he and Sherk did the same thing but one of them is getting treated a little worse than the other.

I just hope that he is back with the UFC once the suspension is up, he really had got his career on the right track.
I heard he's looking to go to the WEC and challenge Varner for the 155 title.

Franca's suspension was worse because he went to the CSAC with his hat in hand and admitted guilt, whereas Sherk drew it out with a long and expensive legal battle. I've heard Sherk paid a ton of money, but in the end he received far less than Franca. It's too bad Hermes is such a nice guy, because it really bit him in the ass when it came to his hearing. If you want to really hear some bs, James Toney, who had his hearing the same day, came in swearing and bad mouthing the commission, and they cut his suspension in half for the same offense. Yeah, there's no bias there...

Ensane is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
  #11
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
Good timing on Bringing up Franca guys, MMAweekly has a piece on him this morning.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...6214&zoneid=13

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
  #12
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
-Nick Diaz pulled from Dream tournament (by Gary Shaw).
-Rizzo/Barnett II signed for Affliction's first show.

both per sherdog.

Ensane is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
  #13
QuickDynamite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
-Nick Diaz pulled from Dream tournament (by Gary Shaw).
-Rizzo/Barnett II signed for Affliction's first show.

both per sherdog.
That sucks about Diaz. I didn't like it when the CSAC did not allow him to fight on the last Elite card. And I don't necessarily like this either. Hopefully he will be fighting soon though.

Rizzo / Barnett is a pretty decent fight. I think Barnett is probably going to take that. Rizzo is just not quite as good as he used to be and he gets cut too easily. But I still do like watching him fight. Barnett seems to be pretty busy these days he just fought Yoshida, now is supposed to be fighting Monson at WVR. He did have a pretty long layoff before this though.

Is Fedor and Tim Sylvia still going down at Affliction? If it is this is looking to be a very good card so far. From what I understand the guys who were behind M-1 are pretty much in charge of this Affliction show as well.

QuickDynamite is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 08:24 PM
  #14
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post

Is Fedor and Tim Sylvia still going down at Affliction? If it is this is looking to be a very good card so far. From what I understand the guys who were behind M-1 are pretty much in charge of this Affliction show as well.
I'm still taking a wait and see approach for the Affliction show. Having Sylvia/Fedor, Barnett/Rizzo with Lindland fighting on the card could be great. However, HDNet and Affliction have apparently parted ways in a partnership and Affliction is looking for a new venue. It was supposed to be in Dallas at Mark Cuban's American Airlines Arena, but not anymore.

To bad about Diaz, but if Shaw doesn't think he has enough time to get ready for his own promotions show then I don't blame him. Apparently DREAM had Diaz on Dream2 but it didn't work out.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 08:30 PM
  #15
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
http://www.dreamfighters.com/site/?a...&id=1210003124
Nogueria to fight in August at UFC87?



If true then great, but that would be a quick turnaround for likely challenger, the winner of Werdum vs Vera. Not that I'm complaining if its possible.

Nogueria vs Werdum/Vera ?
Florian vs Huerta
Lesner vs Coleman

Great so far.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 10:02 PM
  #16
QuickDynamite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I'm still taking a wait and see approach for the Affliction show. Having Sylvia/Fedor, Barnett/Rizzo with Lindland fighting on the card could be great. However, HDNet and Affliction have apparently parted ways in a partnership and Affliction is looking for a new venue. It was supposed to be in Dallas at Mark Cuban's American Airlines Arena, but not anymore.

To bad about Diaz, but if Shaw doesn't think he has enough time to get ready for his own promotions show then I don't blame him. Apparently DREAM had Diaz on Dream2 but it didn't work out.
Hopefully it will still be on HDnet. I really like the fights on the card so far. And I think putting it on PPV could be a mistake. But you never know, I can't see myself giving up $30+ for it.

Diaz was suspended in Vegas at the PRIDE event. And then recently the CSAC would not allow him to fight at the last Elite XC show because they said he did not turn in his medical forms soon enough. So I personally don't blame Diaz if he wants to go fight in Japan

QuickDynamite is offline  
Old
05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
  #17
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
Hopefully it will still be on HDnet. I really like the fights on the card so far. And I think putting it on PPV could be a mistake. But you never know, I can't see myself giving up $30+ for it.
IIRC the plan was to have the prelims on HDNet, and the main card on PPV. And yeah, I agree, that would be a mistake. Sylvia isn't a PPV draw, period. And Fedor may be the best fighter on the planet ever, but he is a complete unknown to the North American audience.

Quote:

Diaz was suspended in Vegas at the PRIDE event. And then recently the CSAC would not allow him to fight at the last Elite XC show because they said he did not turn in his medical forms soon enough. So I personally don't blame Diaz if he wants to go fight in Japan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the problems that Diaz -- apparently -- had a medical marijuana card for California?

If that's true I don't blame the commission one bit. If Diaz is so dead set on smoking pot then all the power to him, and fighting in Japan is the right move.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-07-2008, 01:36 AM
  #18
QuickDynamite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
If that's true I don't blame the commission one bit. If Diaz is so dead set on smoking pot then all the power to him, and fighting in Japan is the right move.
The commission said he did not hand in his paper work. The Gary Shaw / Diaz side happen to disagree with that. Of course, i'm sure his past suspension for Marijuana use was a big factor into it. I'm guessing he probably gave them the paper work at the last second and given his history they decided they would rather not allow him to fight.

QuickDynamite is offline  
Old
05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
  #19
Captain_Cunney
Registered User
 
Captain_Cunney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bowling Alley
Country: England
Posts: 5,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Good timing on Bringing up Franca guys, MMAweekly has a piece on him this morning.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...6214&zoneid=13
Thanks for that, it was a good read.

I really hope he comes back better than ever, he's such a quaity individual. I really beleive he is a major threat in the LW division still. He was dominated by Sherk, but I think Sherk is just a bad matchup for him, not sure he'll ever beat him. But I think he can go toe to toe with any other contender in the division.

Captain_Cunney is offline  
Old
05-07-2008, 09:23 AM
  #20
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
The commission said he did not hand in his paper work. The Gary Shaw / Diaz side happen to disagree with that. Of course, i'm sure his past suspension for Marijuana use was a big factor into it. I'm guessing he probably gave them the paper work at the last second and given his history they decided they would rather not allow him to fight.
http://mmamania.com/2008/03/27/cesar...ikeforce-card/

Just adding that link so it doesn't look like I was making it up. lol

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
  #21
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
http://www.dreamfighters.com/site/?a...&id=1210003124
Nogueria to fight in August at UFC87?



If true then great, but that would be a quick turnaround for likely challenger, the winner of Werdum vs Vera. Not that I'm complaining if its possible.

Nogueria vs Werdum/Vera ?
Florian vs Huerta
Lesner vs Coleman

Great so far.
Also consider that Sherk is a very real possibility for that card considering he's a Minnesotan and trains there. I'd consider it even more likely if he wins the belt on the 24th.

BigE is offline  
Old
05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
  #22
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
More info on the Allfiction show from former Sherdog and current Sports Illustrated Writer Josh Gross.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Matt Lindland's opponent?

Quote:
Among the group of handsomely compensated fighters, middleweight Matt Lindland (20-5) is perhaps the hungriest to compete. Early talk had the former UFC contender taking rematches against David Terrell or Murilo Bustamante.

However, SI.com learned Tuesday that the leading candidate to face the gangly wrestler is Brazilian middleweight Fabio Negao, owner of an 8-3 record. Splitting his last six bouts, Negao is coming off a loss in December to Rousimar Palhares, as well as two other defeats by Demian Maia (choke) and Ray Lazama (KO). South African middleweight Trevor Prangley had been discussed as a potential Lindland foe, but Affliction's decision to pit Lindland against Negao appears close to final
I wouldn't have minded Bustamante to tell the truth. He fought well on the NYE Yarrenoka card, and having a former UFC champ is something Affliction could have promoted.

As for fighters salaries..

Quote:
the July 19 event is expected to exceed an unheard of $6 million in fighter purses
Wow. Great for fighters, but I don't see how that is sustainable. Hope it does well though, and I hope Affliction puts as much cash into fighter salaries as they do into promotion and production. Having minor league production value can kill a company after one PPV.

Affliction has now lost the Golden Boy Promotions, and the HDnet affiliations. Uphill battle.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-07-2008, 12:48 PM
  #23
QuickDynamite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Lindland / Bustamante would be pretty good. Bustamante is getting up there, but he's an extremely underrated fighter. His technique with his hands is pretty good and he's excellent on the ground. I thought he got robbed against Takimoto a few months ago, and he should have won in the finals of the WW tournament in PRIDE a few years ago against Henderson as well. I do think Lindland is probably going to win if they fought though, and he needs to start fighting again. He hasn't fought since he fought Fedor which was a long time ago.

QuickDynamite is offline  
Old
05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
  #24
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
http://bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/5/5/205824/1884
Quote:
According to Dave Meltzer, GSP v. Matt Serra did 100,000 buys in Canada alone, and some interest metrics that have been highly reliable suggest the show did 550,000-600,000 buys. Combined with the excellent and disproportionate numbers in Canada (Canada usually does around 10% of the US number), this could be a 650,000 buy show, putting it right up there for all time UFC shows.

This is great news for a number of reasons. GSP will be on top for a long time given his youth and dominance, and he is the first of the new generation stars to prove he can draw on top.
Damn, GSP is a star. This PPV also went head-to-head with Bernard Hopkins vs Joe Calzaghe.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
05-07-2008, 11:25 PM
  #25
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Rampage was funny tonight after his team finally won. You can tell he's a huge competitor.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.