HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The Official MMA Thread - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2008, 11:50 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

vCash: 500

Monty Cox new promotion, which is being headlined by Monson vs Russow in June. Why am I posting this? Because I like the logo, makes me want to watch an episode of House though.

Old
05-09-2008, 03:20 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

I don't know what the future holds for Affliction, but they are putting on what looks to be one of the biggest cards ever.

Fedor Emeleninko vs Tim Sylvia
Josh Barnett vs Pedro Rizzo
Matt Lindland vs Fabio Nagano
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs Mike Whitehead

In the InsideMMA clip they mentioned having a couple more California guys on the card as well. Anyone want to bet that Tito ends up on this card as well.

Old
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
In the InsideMMA clip they mentioned having a couple more California guys on the card as well. Anyone want to bet that Tito ends up on this card as well.
By that time I think he will still be recovering from his beating at UFC 84

Sounds like Quarry might replace Leben for the England fight...I think he could give Bisping a good challenge, though I would still lean towards the Count in that fight.

Old
05-09-2008, 04:01 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post

Sounds like Quarry might replace Leben for the England fight...I think he could give Bisping a good challenge, though I would still lean towards the Count in that fight.
UFC.com is reporting that Canadian Jason "Dooms" Day from Lethbridge Alberta is stepping up to face Bisping.
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=11860
Quote:
"Obviously I was looking forward to the Leben fight but I guess it wasn't to be, said Bisping. "You have to respect Jason Day for stepping in on even shorter notice than myself. I am looking forward to really putting on a great performance in London."
Amazing how fast a career can change. It was less then a year ago that Day squandered a big fight against Patrick Cote, then he gets some wins, beats David Louisou in a razor thin decision and is a late replacement to fight Alan Belcher at UFC 83. He wins that fight and now gets a huge fight against local hero Bisping on the main card of UFC 85.

My roomate has actually rolled with Day on several occasions and in a BJJ competition not all that long ago, will be rooting for him.

Old
05-09-2008, 04:12 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Huh, shows what I know (I think I read the Quarry rumour on a couple of sites last night). Don't really know enough about Day to have a good idea of his chances, he did look good against Belcher though. On the other hand I think Bisping's ground game is a lot stronger than Belcher's, so this looks like a pretty tough fight for Day.

Old
05-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
way to step up Jason Day

Old
05-09-2008, 04:58 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Chris Leben vs Bisping is off

Leben was arrested for a DUI, and will be in Jail for 35 days, leaving him only 12 days to train for his Bisping fight.

UFC 85 is cursed.
That's really too bad. That was a fight which I was really looking forward too. I think Bisping probably bit off more than he could chew, everyone who has tried to stand-up and trade strikes with Leben has lost with the exception of Anderson Silva. And Leben has a very good chin as well.

Last edited by QuickDynamite: 05-09-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old
05-09-2008, 05:12 PM
BigE

Am I the only one who believes Day might make it 2 for 2 in the UFC?

Joe Silva is earning his paycheck once again.

Old
05-10-2008, 05:01 PM
BigE

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=6248&zoneid=2

MMA weekly reporting that ProElite and Dream have come to a partnership agreement that will allow for the sharing of fighters and officials, with potential cross-promotion coming not just in the US or Japan, but also England and Korea.

Things are heating up!

Old
05-11-2008, 02:41 AM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post

MMA weekly reporting that ProElite and Dream have come to a partnership agreement that will allow for the sharing of fighters and officials, with potential cross-promotion coming not just in the US or Japan, but also England and Korea.

Things are heating up!
Sounds good. Looks like Diaz now will be fighting on Dream 3. I believe its going to be live on HDnet very soon actually. Should be interesting to see who advances in the tournament:

Tatsuya Kawajiri vs Luis "Buscape" Firmino
Caol Uno vs Mitsuhiro Ishida
Joachim Hansen vs Eddie Alvarez

Dae Won Kim vs Melvin Manhoef
Shoji Maruyama vs Takeshi Yamazaki
Katsuya Inoue vs Nick Diaz
Katsuyori Shibata vs Jason "Mayhem" Miller
Daisuke Nakamura vs Bu Kyung Jung

I believe that card is pretty accurate.

Old
05-11-2008, 05:06 AM
BigE

Very interesting card, indeed. In particular I'm interested in seeing how Manhoef does - guy has some hard, hard hands.

Old
05-11-2008, 05:25 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Dream 3 results

Quote:
Takeshi Yamazaki def. Shoji Maruyama via unanimous decision
Jason Miller def. Katsuyori Shibata via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 6:57+
Melvin Manhoef def. Dae Won Kim via TKO (strikes) -- Round 1, 4:08#
Daisuke Nakamura def. Bu Kyung Jung via KO (punch) -- Round 2, 1:05
Nick Diaz def. Katsuya Inoue TKO (Towel, Punches) Round 1, 6:45
Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Luiz Firmino via unanimous decision*
Eddie Alvarez def. Joachim Hansen via unanimous decision*
Caol Uno def. Mitsuhiro Ishida via submission (rear-naked choke) -- Round 2, 2:39*
Pretty good card. Miller looked impressive and weird vs sub par compeitiion. Eddie Alvarez and Hansen was a great fight. Watching a Japan card is brutal at times, but thankfully I had the PVR set and watched it in the morning. It starated about half an hour in and the half hour intermission is a joke. We complain about the UFC and it's advertising but man, those breaks are hard to take.

..but Bas was back!! Great to hear his odd commentating, hilarious as usual.

Just have to add, I really like Bu Kyung Jung. He has started off 0-3 but I really like his skill and determination. Stepping in at last minute to face Aoki and Yarrenoka, then Ishida at Dream1. Don't know what is in store for him, but he put on a good show in all 3 of his fights. Hope Dream gives him more shots.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm*: 05-12-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old
05-12-2008, 01:34 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Hansen-Alvarez was fantastic. I just wish it could have gone a third round. Hansen's chin is sick, I couldn't believe some of the punches he ate. Nothing against Alvarez but I was definitely pulling for Hellboy.

So close!

Assuming Aoki goes through I'd love to see Kawajiri-Uno and Alvarez-Aoki as the semifinal matchups.

Diaz looked pretty good too, his standup is still kind of strange looking but he didn't get tagged too often and was throwing some nice body shots. If he and Sakurai do end up fighting it should be a good one.

Old
05-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
I was very pleased with the two fights last night.

Finally we get a couple pair of guys who actually want to go out and win, rather than merely just show up for a decision.

at Jeremy May. Oops! KTFO -- wonder if we'll ever hear from you again.
I thought both fights were good, too. I thought Brown was going to come out swinging looking to pund May, but I guess he was a bit surprised at how May came out swinging like he did. Seemed like he started to play it safe a bit. But man, that kick in the head at the end seemed to have all of his frustration in it.

I'd be surprised if we heard from him again, he seemed to really embarrass himself. I mean, talking about faking an injury so he could "pace himself?" Then the faking like he was drinking and some of the other stuff? He just seemed foolish, what was he thinking?

05-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Am I the only one who believes Day might make it 2 for 2 in the UFC?

Joe Silva is earning his paycheck once again.
I hope so, but he is going to be in tough, Bisping is a very dangerous fighter at 185. My heart says Day but my head says Bisping all the way.

I have a lot of respect for Day, but I'm unsure if he can hang with Bisping. He looked really good vs. Belcher, but I think Belcher has been over-rated since the day he came into the UFC, I think he is mediocore.

I think this fight is a win-win for Day, if he steps up and beats Bisping it is HUGE, but even if he loses and puts out a good effort of very short notice, he'll be back again.

Old
05-12-2008, 01:26 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Dream 3 results

Pretty good card. Miller looked impressive and weird vs sub par compeitiion. Eddie Alvarez and Hansen was a great fight. Watching a Japan card is brutal at times, but thankfully I had the PVR set and watched it in the morning. It starated about half an hour in and the half hour intermission is a joke. We complain about the UFC and it's advertising but man, those breaks are hard to take.

..but Bas was back!! Great to hear his odd commentating, hilarious as usual.

Just have to add, I really like Bu Kyung Jung. He has started off 0-3 but I really like his skill and determination. Stepping in at last minute to face Aoki and Yarrenoka, then Ishida at Dream1. Don't know what is in store for him, but he put on a good show in all 3 of his fights. Hope Dream gives him more shots.
No kidding, that oddball Bas never disappoints. What a character.

Some friends came over to my place to watch the event live at midnight - what a marathon! I still feel jet lagged after watching it.

I thought that was an excellent card, and an excellent product. Very classy. It actually felt like watching a professional athletic event... something I still wish the UFC would move towards.

The intermissions definitely took away a little 'entertainment momentum', but I've been following another sport for years that has at least two of those intermissions every game.

Old
05-12-2008, 02:21 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post

I thought that was an excellent card, and an excellent product. Very classy. It actually felt like watching a professional athletic event... something I still wish the UFC would move towards.
Great... [insert Japanese organization] vs UFC. Exciting debate...

Quote:

The intermissions definitely took away a little 'entertainment momentum', but I've been following another sport for years that has at least two of those intermissions every game
A sport like hockey, and basketball have intermissions because the athletes need breaks. MMA doesn't need to have an intermission. Kawajiri and Firmino didn't need a half hour break to get ready for their fight. Add that in with waiting 30 minutes from the alloted start time for an actual fight to start and it gets a little silly. That's an hour of inactivity. Come on man, if that happened in the UFC you'd be going off the handle.

Regardless, I enjoyed the event (thanks to a PVR, like when I skip over a Hostel 2 preview at a UFC event).

As for the production, I think alot of the credit here goes to HDnet. They really know how to present an MMA event. They make the IFL look pretty. Hopefully as they see DREAM become more viable they invest in actually sending Kenny and Bas over to Japan. You really miss something not seeing the guys in the broadcast booth at times,

Old
05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:

MMA weekly reporting that ProElite and Dream have come to a partnership agreement that will allow for the sharing of fighters and officials,!
If/when Dream does a HW GP the thought of Kimbo going up against CroCop has me smiling.

Dream HW's
CroCop
Hunt
Alexs Emelianenko

EliteXC HW's
Kimbo Slice
Antonio Silva
Ricco Rodriguez

Nothing "great" in terms of top end talent, but tonnes of potential fire works there.

Old
05-12-2008, 02:52 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Great... [insert Japanese organization] vs UFC. Exciting debate...
I know... :

I just hate being inundated with UFC's constant bombardment of their 'image'. The music, the cage, the trash talk, you name it. It leans too far towards the WWE 'sports entertainment' model for my liking. Maybe it's because I'm a snob, and I don't like identifying with the cheeseballs that the UFC caters to. The UFC carries a cultural stigma IMO, which I think prevents an exceptional sport from getting the mainstream respect it deserves.

Quote:
A sport like hockey, and basketball have intermissions because the athletes need breaks. MMA doesn't need to have an intermission. Kawajiri and Firmino didn't need a half hour break to get ready for their fight. Add that in with waiting 30 minutes from the alloted start time for an actual fight to start and it gets a little silly. That's an hour of inactivity. Come on man, if that happened in the UFC you'd be going off the handle.

Regardless, I enjoyed the event (thanks to a PVR, like when I skip over a Hostel 2 preview at a UFC event).
Agreed, it definitely takes away from the rhythym of it as a viewer, but it also did a good job of capturing what the experience would be like if you were to actually attend the event. Hockey coverage in the playoffs includs all the preamble, the shots of the arena as the players take the ice, the national anthem(s), etc. It adds to the experience in my opinion. You make a very good point though about how there is no need for an intermission for the athletes, but I think fans still need a break. In terms of 'filler', it would be a good opportunity to preview fights in the second half, discuss future events, conduct interviews, etc.

Quote:
As for the production, I think alot of the credit here goes to HDnet. They really know how to present an MMA event. They make the IFL look pretty. Hopefully as they see DREAM become more viable they invest in actually sending Kenny and Bas over to Japan. You really miss something not seeing the guys in the broadcast booth at times,
Agreed fully. I think it would have added a lot more entertainment value if Bas and Kenny were there, interviewing fighters after fights, as well as some of the other MMA stars in attendance standing in the corners of fighters, etc. I'm not a huge fan of Kenny Rice, but I think I'd take him over Goldberg.

Old
05-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Chris Leben vs Bisping is off

Leben was arrested for a DUI, and will be in Jail for 35 days, leaving him only 12 days to train for his Bisping fight.

UFC 85 is cursed.
He can always train in jail no ?

Mike Tyson did

Old
05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
QuickDynamite

I thought Dream 3 was EXCELLENT. I can say, with the exception of possibly the Kawajiri fight every fight on the card was very exciting.

Shoji / Takeshi was a nice start to the night. Shoji landing some nice strikes, and was able to escape a number of times off the ground. But displayed poor wrestling and takedown defense. If he could have stuffed even 1 or 2 of those takedowns he probably would have won.

Miller / Shibata was very entertaining. Mayhem really punished Shibata. If the entire fight had gone on like this Shibata would have been pretty messed up. Refs could have stopped in a bit sooner, and those knees on the ground from Mayhem were excellent. Shibata isn't a great fighter, but I think Mayhem could be huge in Japan. The entrance, the entertainment and his interaction with the fans all help.

Manhoef / Kim - Manhoef looked to be in a bit of trouble at first. But Kim is much taller, and is a decent grappler who stood a good chance of submitting Manhoef if he got him to the ground. I would actually love to see Manhoef get a chance in the tournament.

Nick Diaz / Katsuya Inoue - Diaz is another guy who could be huge in Japan. Sure the guy can come off as disrespectful, but I love the fact that Diaz did not chance his style at all. Sounds like he'll possibly be fighting in Japan again soon based on his post fight comments. Nice punches landed as well, he was constantly putting the pressure on his opponent. I would love to see Sakurai and Diaz fight.

Tatsuya Kawajiri / Luiz Firmino - Pretty much what I expected to happen. Kawajiri gets the takedown, and ground and pounds his way to a decision. I used to like Kawajiri, but his last few fights just have not been very good entertainment wise. I really do not want to see him win the tournament.

Eddie Alvarez / Joachim Hansen - Great fight!! Definitely an early candidate for fight of the year. Nice punches landed from both guys, and very exciting back and fourth action. The difference here was, Alvarez was able to land the better punches and got more takedowns. Hansen displayed some decent submissions though. Based on who is left in the tournament I would like to see Alvarez win.

Caol Uno / Mitsuhiro Ishida - I didn't think Uno had much of a chance either. I don't know why Ishida did not take him to the ground. He stood and tried to exchange strikes with Uno which was not a very good strategy. I am happy to see Uno win this fight though. And I did not like Kawajiri and the way he acted towards Uno after the fight. Its like he's trying to start bad blood between himself and Uno, IDK if that's to get the match-up he wants or what. But I thought I did not like it. I also would love to see Uno beat Kawajiri of they fight, but I don't think its going to happen. Kawajiri is too big and strong.

I don't have a BIG problem with the intermission. Because this was live in Japan and they did not really have a chance to edit the show. I've never been to a UFC event live, so I can't tell you if they have an intermission or not between the preliminary and PPV fights. But the reason I don't have a problem with it, is because with Dream we get to see ALL the fights.

Oh yeah and Mr Mastrodon - You forgot to also mention Sergei Kharitonov who I believe is signed to a contract with K-1 and was rumored to be fighting Cro Cop. Nevermind the plethora of K-1 fighters like Jerome Le Banner and Mighty Mo etc. who have fought in MMA. I don't see the HW tournament happening for a while anyways, and by that time they will probably have more fighters signed to fight in the GP.

Old
05-12-2008, 04:10 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
Caol Uno / Mitsuhiro Ishida - I didn't think Uno had much of a chance either. I don't know why Ishida did not take him to the ground. He stood and tried to exchange strikes with Uno which was not a very good strategy. I am happy to see Uno win this fight though. And I did not like Kawajiri and the way he acted towards Uno after the fight. Its like he's trying to start bad blood between himself and Uno, IDK if that's to get the match-up he wants or what. But I thought I did not like it. I also would love to see Uno beat Kawajiri of they fight, but I don't think its going to happen. Kawajiri is too big and strong.
Ishida and Kawajiri both made comments before the fight that they were pissed off that Uno got a bye to the second round, and Ishida basically said he was going to punish him for it, so that's why Kawajiri was so pissed off.

Also Ishida tried to take Uno down numerous times during the first round, he just sprawled out of it for the most part.

So what do people want to see for MW quarterfinal matchups?

Kin
Mousasi
Sakuraba
Tamura
Jacare
Yoon
Galesic
Miller

Sakuraba vs Miller would probably be entertaining, I have a feeling they'll put him and Tamura together though. So I'll go with

Saku-Tamura
Jacare-Yoon
Galesic-Mousasi
Miller-Kin

Old
05-12-2008, 04:15 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Ishida and Kawajiri both made comments before the fight that they were pissed off that Uno got a bye to the second round, and Ishida basically said he was going to punish him for it, so that's why Kawajiri was so pissed off.
Quote:
I just hate being inundated with UFC's constant bombardment of their 'image'. The music, the cage, the trash talk, you name it.
See Kurt, they do all that, trash talking etc, it's just in Japanese and we never hear about it.

Quote:
Also Ishida tried to take Uno down numerous times during the first round, he just sprawled out of it for the most part.
Yup, was going to post that was well. Ishida tried and tried to take Uno down, but couldn't. Uno's sprawl was impressive to say the least. It's ludicrous he got a bye into the 2nd round, but Ishida should have beaten him regardless.

Old
05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

LOL, Wanderlei is doing some seriously crazy training for his fight with Jardine. I really hope he wins...nothing against Jardine really but it would suck to see Wandy lose 4 (!) in a row.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=Vide...home&gid=11830

Old
05-12-2008, 05:52 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:

So what do people want to see for MW quarterfinal matchups?

Kin
Mousasi
Sakuraba
Tamura
Jacare
Yoon
Galesic
Miller

Sakuraba vs Miller would probably be entertaining, I have a feeling they'll put him and Tamura together though. So I'll go with

Saku-Tamura
Jacare-Yoon
Galesic-Mousasi
Miller-Kin
Well obviously in beating Ishida he has proven himself that he belongs. And to start the fight I think he should have just gone for a takedown immediately. He made some comments recently that he wanted to make his fights more exciting and I think he may have lost because of that. Give credit where its due though, Uno did defend the takedowns, although Ishida was a bit beaten up by that point. And he is no slouch on the ground either.

I believe they did announce the match-ups for the next round of the MW tournament already. But I can't remember them all of the top of my head.

Also here is the current card for WVR 3:

Nick Thompson vs. Michael Costa
Hidehiko Yoshida vs. TBA
Kazuyuki Fujita vs. TBA
Marcio "Pe De Pano" Cruz vs. TBA
Fabio Silva vs. TBA
Rodrigo Damm vs. TBA

Closed Thread