HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The Official MMA Thread - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2008, 09:15 AM
DaaaaB's

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
http://www.dreamofficial.com/special/vote/

Vote on which matchups you want to see in the two GPs!
That's a great idea but I can't read Japanese. Is there a way to convert it to English?

Old
05-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
I think Nog/Mir as TUF coaches is a case of putting together a more marketable fight, than nessisarily the best fight.

Mir is coming off beating highly hyped Lesnar and I suspect they'll want to push him to capitalize on it as well as make Lesnar look like he barely lost to a top contender. Plus he's a good personality and comes across as a pretty well spoken and credible guy. On the flip side, barring a major upset, Nog looks like he could be holding the HW belt for a long time... I don't there is a fight the UFC could make right now where he wouldn't be the huge favorite. I think the UFC knows this want wants to get him out there to the causual fan.
I think you're right.

I think the UFC would love to get Nog up to a similar status currently enjoyed by Anderson Silva. The UFC needs to build up Nog's legitimacy in general to accomplish this. So putting Nog on their biggest medium, the TUF show, makes sense. As I see it, with the lack of top end talent at heavyweight, the UFC might see a champion as dominant as Silva in that division as well. The problem is, in regards to public perception, Silva took out a highly respected UFC poster boy by pure annihilation en route to his title. Whereas Nog rode the Pride hype train, that has been half derailed. And his two wins haven't been nearly as impressive as Silva's: he beat Heath Herring, in spite of almost getting KO'd, and despite already having beat him twice in the past. And then he submitted a pure standup fighter, who was widely regarded as a paper-champion in Tim Sylvia en route to the title. All of this coming in the thinnest division in the UFC.

This is moreso to give Nog a push with the casual American fan. This would be a fabulous opportunity to focus more on training than on the normal house shenanigans, because it would give the casual fan even more insight as to how great a tactician Nog is. Keep in mind, the more popular Nog gets, the more it chips away at the "current" heavyweight champ, Randy Couture.

Old
05-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
That's a great idea but I can't read Japanese. Is there a way to convert it to English?
If you make the selection (in Japanese) it brings up the face of the fighter.

Admittedly, I had to go to sherdog to figure out who some of the guys were.

Mine:
Miller vs. Sakuraba (Miller wants this one; although I'd love to see Jacare vs. Miller as well)
Galesic vs. Mousasi
Yoon vs. Jacare
Kin vs. Tamura

Dream 5 was more of a no-brainer...
Aoki/Nagata vs. Alvarez
Uno vs. Kawajiri

Old
05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
If you make the selection (in Japanese) it brings up the face of the fighter.

Admittedly, I had to go to sherdog to figure out who some of the guys were.

Mine:
Miller vs. Sakuraba (Miller wants this one; although I'd love to see Jacare vs. Miller as well)
Galesic vs. Mousasi
Yoon vs. Jacare
Kin vs. Tamura

Dream 5 was more of a no-brainer...
Aoki/Nagata vs. Alvarez
Uno vs. Kawajiri
Thank you.

I voted for:
Miller vs. Jacare
Galesic vs. Mousasi
Yoon vs. Kin
Sakuraba vs. Tamura

Same as you for Dream 5.

Old
05-14-2008, 01:31 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

My votes.

Dream 4
Miller vs Sakuraba
Galesic vs Kin
Jacare vs Tamura
Mousasi vs Yoon

I think Miller/Sakuraba would be entertaining, and I want to see Galesic/Kin rematch after Kin lost to Galesic vis cut stoppage in October of '07.

Dream 5
I went it a little different, I want Alvarev and Aoki in the finals
so
Alvarev vs Kawajiri
Aoki/Nagata vs Uno

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm*: 05-14-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old
05-14-2008, 02:53 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Just read a report that EliteXC is thinking about starting a women title. Thoughts?

While I think it's a good move, I think it's just a move to put a belt of Gina Caranno, but that isn't a bad thing. Women's mma starts and stops with her, and if she were to move from EliteXC does anything think that the women's title would stick around?

Old
05-14-2008, 04:29 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
My votes.

Dream 5
so
Alvarev vs Kawajiri
Aoki/Nagata vs Uno
Alvarez/Aoki would be a great final. The reason I put them against each other in the semi's is the hate between Uno and Kawajiri. It seems like they really want to beat each other up. I think Kawajiri will win that one and him vs Alvarez/Aoki would be a good final as well.

Old
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
BigE

Quote:
Just read a report that EliteXC is thinking about starting a women title. Thoughts?

While I think it's a good move, I think it's just a move to put a belt of Gina Caranno, but that isn't a bad thing. Women's mma starts and stops with her, and if she were to move from EliteXC does anything think that the women's title would stick around?
Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't like watching women fight. To me, there are just certain things that men and women shouldn't do..

I'll apologize in advance for seeming ignorant, but it's just one of those things where when I watch it I get a little uneasy. That kind of feeling is tough for me to deny, no matter the logic that might support the opposite view.

Old
05-14-2008, 05:08 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Dream 5
so
Alvarev vs Kawajiri
Aoki/Nagata vs Uno
I agree with this 100% and i'm glad to see I am not the only one who would rather see these match-ups. I honestly did not like the way Kawajiri acted towards Uno after the Ishida fight. Its like he was trying to create bad blood between them.

But in reality, I feel he is trying to get the easiest road to the finals he can get. Who do you think he would rather fight? Aoki / Alvarez or Uno? That's not a very difficult choice really.

Old
05-14-2008, 05:11 PM
BigE

I've been reading a lot of Sherdog since my classes finished two weeks ago and all the *****ing and moaning about the UFC HW division is getting on my nerves. I want to know if you guys feel the same way that I do: things aren't as bad as they seem.

Yes, Randy has left and taken the belt with him. Cro Cop, the guy who everyone thought was the 2nd best in the world won't be back for another year. And now both Sylvia and AA are gone.

However, let's face facts here: Randy is 43 and has maybe 2 fights left in him; Sylvia was let go as much as he "left," because of uninspired bout and uninspired bouth; and Arlovski is still somewhat of a question mark.

Looking at what the UFC is left with you've got the following:

Vets:
Nogueira
Mir
Werdum
Coleman
Herring
Cro Cop **

Up and Comers:
Vera
Gonzaga
Kongo
Lesnar
Velasquez
Carwin
Wain

Stepping Stones:
Hardonk
McCully
Morris
Wellisch

Is that really all that bad? In my opinion things will look a lot better once some of the up and comers establish themselves. If and when Cro Cop gets back into the picture that could give the UFC a nice division.

You also have to consider the one-and-done potential for an outfit like Afflication (and even Adrenaline). Within a year both those organizations could be folded and the UFC could have Sylvia and Arlovski back in addition to guys like Rothwell and even the Emelianenkos.

Old
05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post

Is that really all that bad? In my opinion things will look a lot better once some of the up and comers establish themselves. If and when Cro Cop gets back into the picture that could give the UFC a nice division..
Nope, I'm with yeah. It wasn't great when in stretch of period they picked up CroCop, Werdum, and Nogueria, but it's still decent. Randy Couture was a hit when he left, but he was retired six months earlier and when he came back he said he was taking it fight-by-fight, the way he left was the surprise.

One of Vera or Werdum will establish themselves as contenders this summer, and hopefully the other one can string together two more wins to re-establish. Gonzaga needs to get back into action, and hopefully the UFC's trimmed down roster lets him fight two fights fast and get a couple wins under his belt.

Old
05-14-2008, 08:52 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Kid Yamamoto has been added to the Dream4 card.

Lightweight Grand Prix Second Round bout:
-Shinya Aoki vs. Katsuhiko Nagata

-Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Jerome LeBanner

Middleweight Grand Prix Second Round (16-man tournament)
-Gegard Mousasi
-Kazushi Sakuraba
-Zelg Gelasic
-Kiyoshi Tamura
-Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza
-Dong Sik Yoon
-Taiei Kin

I tell ya, those Japanese organizations give themselves such an advantage by doing GP's. Really wish the UFC would do them, because whoever wins these winds up being a star.

The middlweight GP is filled with has beens, never was, and future stars. It really only had Kanas a legit star going in. Yet, I can't wait to see how it turns out. If a guy like Galasic, Jacare, or Mousasi win this they are going to shoot up the middleweight rankings.

Old
05-14-2008, 10:09 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

May I ask, what is a "Muscle Shark"? I have seen many episodes of Jacques Cousteau and Marlon Perkins' Wild Kingdom, yet never have I seen this mythical beast.

Old
05-14-2008, 10:44 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
May I ask, what is a "Muscle Shark"? I have seen many episodes of Jacques Cousteau and Marlon Perkins' Wild Kingdom, yet never have I seen this mythical beast.
It's an Engrish nickname he got when fighting in Japan. Basically
PHP Code:
Name sounds like Shark Has Muscles "Muscle Shark" 
On that note, I hope they match up Mayhem and Jacare in the MW grand prix so they can do an awesome intro video with monkeys and alligators and **** in it, those Japanese fight intro videos are hilarious.

Old
05-15-2008, 01:51 AM
BigE

Quote:
I tell ya, those Japanese organizations give themselves such an advantage by doing GP's. Really wish the UFC would do them, because whoever wins these winds up being a star.

The middlweight GP is filled with has beens, never was, and future stars. It really only had Kanas a legit star going in. Yet, I can't wait to see how it turns out. If a guy like Galasic, Jacare, or Mousasi win this they are going to shoot up the middleweight rankings.
I absolutely agree with this, also.

If the UFC were looking to make a star in their HW division they could consider holding one of these in a year from now once CC is back and some of the kids have developed a little more.

I'm off to Italy for the next 9 days, gentleman. Take care!

Old
05-15-2008, 02:59 AM
QuickDynamite

I would not be surprised at all if Mayhem wins the whole MW tournament. I think if Tamura and Sakuraba do fight, Tamura is going to beat him up really good.

I hope either Miller, Kin, Jacare, Mousasi win the MW tournament. And for the LW's I would like to see Uno or Alvarez win. But I don't think either of them will. I think Alvarez may get submitted by Aoki, and Kawajiri is going to beat Uno.

That's great to hear Kid Yamamoto will be fighting again soon. I was actually starting to wonder when he would be fighting next.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I absolutely agree with this, also.

If the UFC were looking to make a star in their HW division they could consider holding one of these in a year from now once CC is back and some of the kids have developed a little more.

I'm off to Italy for the next 9 days, gentleman. Take care!
Enjoy!

If you are in the veneto region, check out the hot spot of Valdobiaddinne..

Heart of Proseco land, great northern italian expereince.. Mostly because they are related to me

If you see Sakara walking around, tell him to stop leading with his face..

Arrivaderci!

Old
05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Another episode of TUF, another pair of horrible fights. I'm starting to think that it's not the fighters, but again, the rigorous schedule they have to deal with. Gassing after the first round is about as abundant as the destruction of walls in the house fueled by alcohol.

And that second fight, those guys were supposed to be the best two standup fighters in the house? Gimme a break. Patrick Schultz had no jab at all, and while he varied his strikes, he led with a right hook almost everytime. What's worse is that he was the more impressive of the two.

Hopefully CB Dolloway can restore my faith in the show...ARGH!

Old
05-15-2008, 01:09 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Another episode of TUF, another pair of horrible fights.
I actually thought the first fight was decent. A couple entertaining slams and a good finish. The 2nd fight was embarrassing, and I don't think those two were known as the best strikers, just as the two guys who wanted to strike and wanted nothing to do with the ground game. The striking was sloppy, at best, and the ground work was baaaaad. All the bald dude had to do was start punching faster and he could have ended the fight, get mount, and throw em, and he would have had 10 grand instead of five.

The "fireworks" after the 2nd fight was the hilarious though. Bryan Setzer really needed to keep his mouth shut. What kind of idiot says that to a coach on the opposing team? Griffen wasn't bad mouthing him, just responding to Rampage who was throwing a fit. Forrest's reaction was great though, just confusion more then anger.

That's four fights in the last two episodes instead of 45 minutes of drama and a fight. Much better format.

Anyone want some burger king?

Old
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
kurt
the last emperor

TUF is unwatchable.

Old
05-16-2008, 01:27 AM
QuickDynamite

I thought both fights were actually pretty good. I always love to see two guys stand up and trade with each other, even if the technique isn't great and its pretty sloppy which is the case in the 2nd fight.

The first fight was good. Nice back and fourth action and some very impressive slams. I was happy to see Amir win as well.

But I do really feel badly for Rampage, his team only has 1 win to show for it. Hopefully he can win the last fight. Anything can happen in the next rounds. I remember last year it was looking like Matt Hughes, didn't have a hope in hell of beating Matt Serra's team after losing so many fights. But when it was all said and done both of the fighters going into the finals were from his team..

I said it before and i'll say it again - Rampage made a huge mistake by letting Forrest choose the 1st match-up.

Old
05-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
In English it translates to "Steroid Shark, soon to be extinct".

On the TUF front, I didn't find the first fight bad at all. I thought Harris had some excelent (and I mean excellent) slams and Amir was trying to catch him with the big shot frequently. He narrowly missed on a couple flying knees before he finally caught him. The 2nd fight was TERRIBLE.

My hope for the entire show rests on CB....

Old
05-16-2008, 12:47 PM
QuickDynamite

The IFL has a show on tonight, and it will be on HDnet if anyone is interested. Here is the card:

185 lbs. | Ryan McGivern (181.2) vs. Dan Miller (180.5)
265 lbs. | Roy Nelson (264.2) vs. Brad Imes (249.2)
155 lbs. | Ryan Schultz (154) vs. Deividas Taurosevicius (154)
205 lbs. | Aaron Stark (205.7) vs. Lamont Lister (205.2)
170 lbs. | John Howard vs. Nick Calandrino (170)
155 lbs. | Zac George vs. Josh Souder (155.2)
185 lbs. | Matt Horwich vs. Joey Guel (185.5)
185 lbs. | Danillo Villefort (184.7) vs. Mike Massenzio (185.2)
155 lbs. | John Franchi (155) vs. Frank Latina (152)

I've found since the move to HDnet, the quality of the events and presentation with the IFL has been very professional. And even if you don't know many of the fighters, the fights are usually very entertaining. Plus 3 title fights, which isn't bad. If you have HDnet you should definitely check this out.

Old
05-16-2008, 01:05 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Speaking of HDNET, i always watch Inside MMA, but missed last weeks, who was named the best of all time ????

Old
05-16-2008, 01:14 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Speaking of HDNET, i always watch Inside MMA, but missed last weeks, who was named the best of all time ????
You can watch the episodes online:

http://www.hdnetfights.com/insidemma.php

Some of these selections have really made my head shake I must say. Liddell is one of the top 10 best MMA fighters of all time? I'm not so sure about that to be honest. He's been a great ambassador to the sport but I don't think he is top 10 material. Seems to me they are picking the popular choices, as opposed to the guys who actually deserve it. But I guess not everyone is going to agree with the list.

Closed Thread