HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Price!

Old
05-04-2008, 09:17 AM
amnesiac*

vCash: 500
Trade Price!

Of course Im only kidding! But admit it, some of you were ready to explode

I cant wait to look back at this season/playoffs 5-10 years down the road when Price is at his peak. As bad as he feels now, he'll see this year as a learning experience from which he only improved upon. To say he was able to become a #1 NHL goaltender for half a season at the age of 20 is an amzaing accomplishment and can only be beneficial to his development for years to come. A first step for a future star in the making.

Go Carey!

Looking forward to next year.

Last edited by amnesiac*: 05-04-2008 at 09:51 AM.
amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:45 AM
dlandry77

Sometimes it is hard to look past the short term.

I think this kid can be a great goalie. He has been given a taste of the playoffs.

Hopefully he can be even better next year.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:48 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I am not at all worried. Overall he had a good, not great but good, playoff and getting to the second round in his rookie season is good experience for the future.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post

I cant wait to look back at this season/playoffs 5-10 years down the road when Price is at his peak. As bad as he feels now, he'll see this year as a learning experience from which he only improved upon. To say he was able to become a #1 NHL goaltender for half a season at the age of 20 is an amzaing accomplishment and can only to beneficial to his development for years to come. A first step for a future star in the making.

Go Carey!

Carey says he's not going to look at his goaltending equipement for three months...

Like many others, seeing Price drop 6 OF HIS LAST 7 starts goes beyond disappointment... Letting in 5 goals a game, spotting the other team 2 goal leads, allowing 4 goals a period, allowing 3 goals in three minutes...

Sure its a team game, but one could even go so far as to say that he's been a bad goaltender.

He was advertised as mentally tough when he is in fact mentally weak.

Price played badly in his first playoffs (excluding game 7) and this fact will never be forgotten. In future playoff years the media and fans will never forget how he can crack under pressure and just give up when a game gets tough.

He now has a new rep... and its not a good one.

Anyway, now he has all summer to play his video games

Last edited by Born in 1909: 05-04-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Actually, last night a guy at work who is a Habs fan and me went over the possibilities of moving Price.

Not so much because we wanted too, or that we hated him (and we didn't know the outcome of the game at that time).. but it was an interesting conversation.

Basically what we were talking about is this;

Price is most likely going to become a better goaltender than Jaroslav Halak. We put a guesstimate that Price will be a Top-3 goalie in the NHL.

Halak, we figured might not be quite as good (due to size, etc).. but we still figured he'd be a Top-6 or Top-7 goalie in the NHL when all is said and done.

The interesting point he brought up is if some team offered a guy like say; Ryan Getzlaf for Price (Not happening because of the goalie depth in Anaheim, but he's just an example).. would I take it? In the end, I probably wouldn't.. but it was cool to wonder.

Price obviously has more value league-wide than Halak.. but if we know Halak is going to be a Top-10 goalie (Price = Luongo, Halak = DiPietro in terms of where they rank kind of thing)..

Do you take the chance with getting another stud forward? Our defenseman is completed for years, but we don't have too many solid high end offensive prospects... so does getting a young guy like that make you consider?

What about a guy like Andrew Cogliano from Edmonton? Etc, etc.

Like I said, in the end, I probably wouldn't do it.. but if Halak continues to prove (through next season) that he can be a Top goaltender in the NHL.. It'd definitely be something for Gainey to look at.

Last edited by Bad Natey: 05-04-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:33 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
People just need to sit and remember what they were like at 20 years old. Not as mentally or physically mature as now, for sure. He's only getting better. So he had a bad series, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out he had a broken hand.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Actually, last night a guy at work who is a Habs fan and me went over the possibilities of moving Price.

Not so much because we wanted too, we hated him (and we didn't know the outcome of the game at that time).. but it was an interesting conversation.

Price is most likely going to become a better goaltender than Jaroslav Halak. We put a guesstimate that Price will be a Top-3 goalie in the NHL.

Halak, we figured might not be quite as good (due to size, etc).. but we still figured he'd be a Top-6 or Top-7 goalie in the NHL when all is said and done.

The interesting point he brought up is if some team offered a guy like say; Ryan Getzlaf for Price (Not happening because of the goalie depth in Anaheim, but he's just an example).. would I take it? In the end, I probably wouldn't.. but it was cool to wonder.

Price obviously has more value league-wide than Halak.. but if we know Halak is going to be a Top-10 goalie (Price = Luongo, Halak = DiPietro in terms of where they rank kind of thing)..

Do you take the chance with getting another stud forward? Our defenseman is completed for years, but we don't have too many solid high end offensive prospects... so does getting a young guy like that make you consider?

Like I said, in the end, I probably wouldn't do it.. but if Halak continues to prove (through next season) that he can be a Top goaltender in the NHL.. It'd definitely be something for Gainey to look at.
There was a poll asking if people would trade Price for Crosby and many many said no. So I reallly doubt anyone would even consider giving Price for Getzlaf or Cogliano...

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:44 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
There was a poll asking if people would trade Price for Crosby and many many said no. So I reallly doubt anyone would even consider giving Price for Getzlaf or Cogliano...
Id consider Getzlaf over Crosby. I like his package alot more. Same with Rick Nash. Cogliano...not a freaking chance.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:47 AM
llamateizer

If they trade price, ill hate gainey.

i agreed on all of his trade but not if he trade price

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Carey says he's not going to look at his goaltending equipement for three months...

Like many others, seeing Price drop 6 OF HIS LAST 7 starts goes beyond disappointment... Letting in 5 goals a game, spotting the other team 2 goal leads, allowing 4 goals a period, allowing 3 goals in three minutes...

Sure its a team game, but one could even go so far as to say that he's been a bad goaltender.

He was advertised as mentally tough when he is in fact mentally weak.

Price played badly in his first playoffs (excluding game 7) and this fact will never be forgotten. In future playoff years the media and fans will never forget how he can crack under pressure and just give up when a game gets tough.

He now has a new rep... and its not a good one.

Anyway, now he has all sumer to play his video games
Its as if people dont realise that athletes IMPROVE based on experience.

Hes a 20 year old rookie goaltender in the NHL. You wont find too many of those over the course of the history of hockey.

Old
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Id consider Getzlaf over Crosby. I like his package alot more. Same with Rick Nash. Cogliano...not a freaking chance.
Brain plz

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:48 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:

Not so much because we wanted too, or that we hated him (and we didn't know the outcome of the game at that time).. but it was an interesting conversation.

I cant believe these Habs fans. Already talking trade of a 20 year old goaltender...... seriously.

Old
05-04-2008, 10:54 AM
HotPie

Quote:
I cant believe these Habs fans. Already talking trade of a 20 year old goaltender...... seriously.
I know. It's completely and absolutely ****ing ridiculous. HE IS TWENTY YEARS OLD FFS.

You guys can only BLAME YOURSELVES for allowing yourselves to believe Price would pull a Roy or Dryden.

Jesus Christ, there aren't many 20 year old goaltenders who managed to accomplish what Price has this season. People forget how he SINGLE HANDEDLY WON US THE SERIES AGAINST BOSTON. Yeah, pretty convenient to forget that one. Sure, he didn't have a great series against Philly, but so ****ing what. I can't believe some people here.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Did you read anything I said?

I said we looked at the possibility of trading Price, what it would bring us in return, the development of Halak, and if we'd be a better team or not.

I said quite a few times in that small block of text that I most likely wouldn't do it. I'm not actually thinking of trading him.. I'm just saying if the chance arose to a get a guy like Ryan Getzlaf.. I think Gainey may have some serious thinking to do.

That's the joy of having two future Top-10 NHL goalies (and one with all kinds of hype!).

Old
05-04-2008, 11:01 AM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Did you read anything I said?

I said we looked at the possibility of trading Price, what it would bring us in return, the development of Halak, and if we'd be a better team or not.

I said quite a few times in that small block of text that I most likely wouldn't do it. I'm not actually thinking of trading him.. I'm just saying if the chance arose to a get a guy like Ryan Getzlaf.. I think Gainey may have some serious thinking to do.

That's the joy of having two future Top-10 NHL goalies (and one with all kinds of hype!).
and how do you expect to get a Getzlaf type player for a goaltender who struggled the way he did in the 2nd round?

and for Cogliano??? No thanks!

Assuming Halak to be a top 10 goaltender in the NHL is WAY too big of a risk. Price is the #1 prospect in hockey........ PATIENCE.

Old
05-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
People forget how he SINGLE HANDEDLY WON US THE SERIES AGAINST BOSTON.
No he didn't just as Biron didn't single handedly won the flyers the series against us...
I think he was seriously overhyped and overrated after the boston series. He was good but on the other side, Boston's offense was terrible...

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Blah Blah Blah bunch of stuff that shows I know nothing about hockey
This coming from a guy who thinks Brisbois is a decent player....

Like my learned colleague here , give YOUR head a shake.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:07 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
No he didn't just as Biron didn't single handedly won the flyers the series against us...
I think he was seriously overhyped and overrated after the boston series. He was good but on the other side, Boston's offense was terrible...
Fine, fair enough. If you don't want to give Price most of the credit for his play against Boston, then you can't largely blame him for his play against Philly. Not saying you are, but it works both ways.

Regardless, Flyers would probably not have won had Biron played like regular Biron, and Boston would probably have won if not for Price.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Gilles Tremblay

I'd like to think that Price's meltdown is just the result of exhaustion at the end of a very long season, but he's had episodes during key moments during the season as well. Just remember the Feb 19 comeback.

What will Gainey do? Can we take a chance to have him and Jaro be our goaltending team next season? I agree he's bound to be better mentally one day, but when? Because if the Habs have a frail goalie as #1 with passable and untested/unproven backup, they have a frail team.

I think Gainey will be on the market for a goalie this summer.

Gilles Tremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:10 AM
anarmandaleb

Hahaha I was ready to launch into a tirade about how you don't know anything about anything. You almost got me there, OP.
Price ain't going nowhere. I hope he gets a lot of rest this summer and realises these things happen and all he can do is learn from the bad but move on and become better. The kid is good. He will one day be amazing. I really hope this doesn't mess him up.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:16 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Fine, fair enough. If you don't want to give Price most of the credit for his play against Boston, then you can't largely blame him for his play against Philly. Not saying you are, but it works both ways.
Our difficulties against the Bruins mere mostly because our offence just couldn't get offensive. We won against them (except the 1st and the 7th) the same way Philly won against us.

When our offence finally got going, we saw what happened (7th game).

Price.. just wasn't perfect against Philly. His confidence have been hurt in the 5th game against Boston, and he never quite recovered. The 7th game have been good for him, but the crack was still there. Loosing a match after you've dominated the ice is bad for a goalie's confidence.

I'd say Price has the potential to become a great, great goalie. He just don't know how to leave bad performance behind him yet. He hasn't been able to go over bad goals, and just let more. Then it spiral down into defeat for us.

This serie probably allowed him to learn a lot more than the whole season about himself, and his goaltending abilities. He'll be back. The whole team will be back next year. Our kids won't be kids anymore. They'll have tasted a choking defeat, when you have the talent but you didn't scored. Lapierre, Latendresse, Kostityns, Begin, Bouillon, Higgins.. all of them will have gained a lot in this serie, and probably gained character out of it.

I can't wait to next year.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Super Berg

please trade him to the leafs....we'll give you Scott Clemensson
heck we'll even throw in a 3rd round pick

seriously though...if PIT offers you Crosby you'd have to take it. Not that it would ever happen. You are basically looking at a guy who is going to finish top 3 in points in any given year for the next decade for a top 5 goalie (I am sorry to say, but odds are against Price being the second coming of Patrick Roy. He will be very good, but even if he ends up being Cujo good or Eddie the Eagle good over the course of his career, you'd have to be happy)

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
This coming from a guy who thinks Brisbois is a decent player....

Like my learned colleague here , give YOUR head a shake.
Easy, buddy.

You obviously didn't read anything I wrote in this thread. It was an interesting conversation. That's all.

I'm not going to resort to insults or anything of the like, but try and read through the entire block of text before saying opening your mouth.

Quote:
and how do you expect to get a Getzlaf type player for a goaltender who struggled the way he did in the 2nd round?

and for Cogliano??? No thanks!

Assuming Halak to be a top 10 goaltender in the NHL is WAY too big of a risk. Price is the #1 prospect in hockey........ PATIENCE.
Jesus christ man.. you take stuff way too personally.

We talked about it, I for the most part, said I wouldn't do it. And I'm not sure other teams would trade a Getzlaf either.

It was an option we talked about if Halak continued to prove worthy.. It's not like we'd step up at the deadline and move Price. But if Halak cotinues to prove he's a #1 goalie.. the option becomes available (we talked about moving Halak too).. but we, like any smart person would know, is that Price is going to garner more because of his hype.

Old
05-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

I cant wait to look back at this season/playoffs 5-10 years down the road when Price is at his peak. As bad as he feels now, he'll see this year as a learning experience from which he only improved upon. To say he was able to become a #1 NHL goaltender for half a season at the age of 20 is an amzaing accomplishment and can only be beneficial to his development for years to come. A first step for a future star in the making.

Go Carey!

Trading Price me be a very good possibility depending on how he rebounds from this very disappointing playoffs.
Everybody always talked about how cool and calm Price was in net and how mentally strong he was.....they couldn't be further from the truth right now.

Price cracked. He was rotten the whole series against the Flyers and anyone who says otherwise, needs their heads examined. He fumbled the puck the whole series....he gave up weak goals and he didn't keep the Habs in any game we played. He was piss-poor at best!!!

I really like Price and hope he can forget about this season and rebound for next season, but I am worried that he will turn out to be just like Marc-Andre Fleury. He was said to be an elite goaltender and after the Penguins rushed him into the NHL, he showed that he needed a lot of work to be a good goaltender in the NHL. He struggled until this season when he came back from injury and he now looks like a solid goaltender.
Gainey made the mistake and rushed Price this season and now he may have to pay for it for the next 3 seasons until Price gets comfortable. Price never should have been with the Habs this season.....he should have spent the whole season in Hamilton where he could learn from his mistakes where he wasn't under the public eye like in Montreal. He would have been a much better goaltender for doing so, but now he has a TON of pressure on him in Montreal and if he doesn't bounce back strong....he'll hear about it until he does.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Trading Price me be a very good possibility depending on how he rebounds from this very disappointing playoffs.
Everybody always talked about how cool and calm Price was in net and how mentally strong he was.....they couldn't be further from the truth right now.

Price cracked. He was rotten the whole series against the Flyers and anyone who says otherwise, needs their heads examined. He fumbled the puck the whole series....he gave up weak goals and he didn't keep the Habs in any game we played. He was piss-poor at best!!!
See guys.. this is the exact OPPOSITE of what I was trying to bring to the table.