HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Pat Kane vs. Ennis

Old
05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
nafrelio

vCash: 500
Pat Kane vs. Ennis

Clearly, they are ranked differently in their respective years with Kane having the obvious edge in rankings but how might they compare in terms of size and skill. What is Ennis' likelihood of busting?

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:32 PM
deanosaur

is this serious?
every way shape and form kane >>>ennis

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:45 PM
giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
is this serious?
every way shape and form kane >>>ennis
Alright, we know that 10 of 10 people will take Kane over Ennis, but the guy wants to know how would one rate Ennis to Kane. In other words, do they have the same skill level or is Ennis skill level a notch or two lower? Do you think Ennis can have the same impact in the NHL as Kane did or not? Do you think that Kane and Ennis will be the same type of player in the NHL?

giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
babybruin

I dont have a ton of experience rating prospects, and a comparison to Kane is a stretch BUT:

Ive seen Ennis several times over the past few years at Tiger games and from day 1 I thought he was noticeable. as hes gotten older, and the Tigers have required more from him, hes gotten more impressive. his determination sticks out, and his stick skills. Ive seen him come out of some thick traffic still carrying the puck.

I think he could end up being a steal, but of course, his size makes for an uphill climb. I think he has the tools, its a question of can he apply them at his size in the NHL.

babybruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:15 PM
nafrelio

Thanks giovanni for finding the intent of the thread. I see two small guys with skills (last year many doubted if Kane's skills would translate to the NHL!). Ennis is being described as having a great shot and sick puck skills. This draft is supposed to be deep, so I was just curious how the two compared (from those who've seen Ennis play) and how far apart they actually are.

Old
05-06-2008, 07:26 AM
The Scouting Report

It's not even close to being close. Kane is significantly better than Ennis, by a very wide margin. Ennis has pretty good skill, but there is a very good chance he will end up just being a very good AHL player while Kane already has a 70 point NHL season under his belt.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 11:50 AM
E-Mac

Obviously, Kane's the superior player. However, I can't get behind what seems to be the thread consensus that Kane is significantly more talented than Ennis.

To start off, Kane and Ennis play a different game. The comparison's really only there because of their size. Ennis is a goal-scorer and puck-handler, first and foremost. Half of the assists I've seen him get were rebounds. Kane's a much better playmaker than Ennis, and from what I've seen he handles the puck a bit less -- he's more willing to pass or dump into the zone than try and carry it over. They both have great shots, so I guess there's room for comparison there. I'd probably give Kane the edge.

For me, most of the edge Kane has on Ennis is due to his size and conditioning. Kane's got at least an inch on Ennis, probably two, and he's at least 20 pounds heavier. Kane is quite strong for someone his size; Ennis is weak by just about any standards. I know Kane was really slim in his draft year and that Ennis could get another inch and camp out at the gym, but I doubt he ever gets as strong. Now, all that said, if they were the same size I'd still take Kane. He's a smarter player and his game translates better. Talent-wise though, I think it's closer than most of you have suggested.

E-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:15 PM
fullmetalninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Mac View Post
Obviously, Kane's the superior player. However, I can't get behind what seems to be the thread consensus that Kane is significantly more talented than Ennis.

Kane's a much better playmaker than Ennis, and from what I've seen he handles the puck a bit less -- he's more willing to pass or dump into the zone than try and carry it over.

Translation= You haven't seen Kane play very much.

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 12:37 PM
massivegoonery

Ennis doesn't have anything resembling the intelligence and vision that Kane has and it is his intelligence and vision that allow him to play in such a way that his size is an asset and not a liability. Ennis is incredibly skilled but his size will always be a liability.

This is the giant chasm separating the two players, why it seems like such a cut and dry question.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 01:58 PM
nafrelio

Thanks all for responding. As I have never seen Ennis, I just wanted to know how they were the same and different. I mean every time someone small and skilled comes around, he gets compared to St Louis or Briere without a lot else about how or why. Obviously I knew by their ranking that Kane was a better player - now I know what makes him better.

Old
05-06-2008, 04:48 PM
E-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja View Post
Translation= You haven't seen Kane play very much.

-fullmetalninja
Yup. I caught three Hawks/Nucks games, so I'm going off that. Aside from the most recent game where he put up 3 points, he didn't carry the puck over the line very often. I assumed it to be a decent sample section, correct me if I'm wrong.

E-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Smallz

woh the 08 draft is deeper than 07 but not that much deeper

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
eightyseven

Kane is MUCH, MUCH better than Ennis. I honestly don't even know why Ennis is ranked in at #30ish because I don't see anyone taking him in the first 3 rounds. Unike Dana Tyrell and Zach Boychuk who are also small, Ennis is not bulky like them and is still built like a boy. He'll have to gain major weight & add muscle to make any kind of impact.

In the Canada-USA game, Kane didn't look impressive. He got that 1 assist on the PP but other than that, didn't dominate. Neither did Mueller. It was suprisingly the other guys on Team USA that looked much better.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote