HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is now the time to move a d-man?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2004, 09:21 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

vCash: 500
Is now the time to move a d-man?

With some big injuries to d-men around the league do we move a player like York or Allison + some picks to try to get a scorer in to help the playoff push, or do we just dance with the one's that brought us?

Old
02-11-2004, 09:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85
With some big injuries to d-men around the league do we move a player like York or Allison + some picks to try to get a scorer in to help the playoff push, or do we just dance with the one's that brought us?

honestly, with the way our defense has been playing....we can't AFFORD to lose a d-man.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:51 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
honestly, with the way our defense has been playing....we can't AFFORD to lose a d-man.
With our defense as thin as it is, I don't think we can afford to move anyone. Not to mention, we're not sellers at this time. It wouldn't make any sense for us to weaken ourselves. Lastly, the few guys we have that might be expendable have little ,to no value to a contender who is trying to replace the backbone of their defense.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:55 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
With the way they have been playing what could it HURT!!!

Old
02-11-2004, 10:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85
With the way they have been playing what could it HURT!!!

a whole lot. i guarantee you...moving york would reap bad consequences. people like to pick on him and all that, but you'd notice the loss when he was replaced full-time with schnabel or hutchinson.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:01 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
a whole lot. i guarantee you...moving york would reap bad consequences. people like to pick on him and all that, but you'd notice the loss when he was replaced full-time with schnabel or hutchinson.
Are you sure about that???

Old
02-11-2004, 11:05 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
I agree completely.

York is no hero, but he's fairly mobile, a decent passer, and most importantly....a veteran.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:59 AM
FanOfHockey

Quote:
Nomorekids you rarely post a positive about Hutch so it is no surprise. Hutch has done exactly what the staff expects of him and more in his callups. He is a 12 game callup rookie which is difficult to handle with a possible playoff run. There are teams that would be happy to have Hutch now and trading him would be great-but I don't think they'll give him up. This is the last year of his contract though! I really think they regret having to send him to Milwaukee.

Last edited by FanOfHockey: 02-11-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old
02-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Jarnberg

I really liked how Hutchinson has developed so far and I was impressed with his play so far this year. I think he can make this team next year. I don't think he can replace York right now. The team is trying to make the playoffs. Our defense already lacks experience, the last thing we need right now is to trade York and put in another rookie.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it depends on how solid Neckar is. We need scoring, period. We also need Vokoun to step up, doesn't matter how great your defense is if your goalie kicks rebounds out to the high slot 20 times a game.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I liked the idea of getting rid of Allison over York, if either of the two was gonna go. I think Hutch has done a very good job, and could replace Allison nearly straight up. We lose a little bit of fighter in Allison, but as we have seen, Hutch can put the puck in the net, or at least on net when needed.

Old
02-11-2004, 04:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfHockey
Nomorekids you rarely post a positive about Hutch so it is no surprise. Hutch has done exactly what the staff expects of him and more in his callups. He is a 12 game callup rookie which is difficult to handle with a possible playoff run. There are teams that would be happy to have Hutch now and trading him would be great-but I don't think they'll give him up. This is the last year of his contract though! I really think they regret having to send him to Milwaukee.

haha, whoa there.

i've got no problem with Hutchinson...but that doesn't make him NHL-ready. The comparisons to a young Mark Eaton are, in my opinion, spot on. He's got a great, accurate shot...and he moves the puck well....BUT....he's a little one-dimensional, right now. Do I believe he has the potential to bulk up and improve the defensive aspect of his game? Yes. Did I believe Eaton could? No. I was taught a valuable lesson, and I accept that. Our defense, while surprising in many regards, still makes some boneheaded rookie mistakes...and replacing the most veteran\most all-around SOLID d-man we have...with another offensive-minded rookie seems like playoff-suicide. I have my doubts that York will be brought back next year...based solely on money...but I think we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot if we got rid of him now. I also think that he's been good for Hammer's development...and in a couple of interviews, Dan has said just that.

Re: trading Allison

It wouldn't do us much good to trade him by himself...as the most we could get would be a low draft pick from a non-contending team. Packaged? Maybe...but again...if it came down to Schnabel or Allison...I'd rather have Garth Brooks, JR. Allison has been reasonably okay, in the past couple of months...but I'd suspect that he'll be the first to go if Neckar is as solid as advertised.

Old
02-11-2004, 07:35 PM
FanOfHockey

nomorekids: so you are happy to have hammer develop in the nhl but hutch needs to be nhl ready? if hutch was given the same consideration and properly paired he'd be just fine-so far he has just filled in for players he is not. i don't think 12 non consecutive games can give that much of a picture. i'm not saying he should replace york but the 7th man-why not! he hasn't hurt the team but i totally understand the concern about veteran needs as long as the veterans make a difference. he helped in some standings changing games recently and i'm sure it didn't go unnoticed.

Old
02-11-2004, 07:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfHockey
nomorekids: so you are happy to have hammer develop in the nhl but hutch needs to be nhl ready? if hutch was given the same consideration and properly paired he'd be just fine-so far he has just filled in for players he is not. i don't think 12 non consecutive games can give that much of a picture. i'm not saying he should replace york but the 7th man-why not! he hasn't hurt the team but i totally understand the concern about veteran needs as long as the veterans make a difference. he helped in some standings changing games recently and i'm sure it didn't go unnoticed.

no offense...but the ceiling\skillset of hamhuis and hutchinson isn't even close. hamhuis wasn't as rough defensively as hutch is, and didn't have as far to go. hamhuis has superstar potential...where i think hutchinson will be solid...but unspectacular. not a bad thing to be.

Old
02-11-2004, 07:50 PM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
I don't see the sense in moving one of the more experienced defensemen on the squad to bring up a rookie defenseman, especially considering the Preds are contending for a playoff spot. The return for either Allison or York won't be a whole heckuva' lot. Hamhuis has a more well rounded game then Hutchinson and that's why he's been relied on. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Closed Thread