HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

"Battle Of The Bulge" Hf Habs Board Off Season Fitness and Well Being Competition

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2008, 03:15 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyChick87 View Post
So last night I walked about 5 clicks and biked about the same.

I felt alive today.

I may put that jog on hold since Im feeling some tightness in one calf...I'm definitly going biking tonight though!

Oh all you nutrition Guru's...Im eating (non intentionally) mostly a vegetarian type diet (save for some portions of seafood, poulty and fish)...is this adverse for the weight loss process? Mind you Im going to shed a few pounds first and work on my cardio endurance before I hit the Gym.
Tofu/soy is great for adding protein and keeping fat low, depending on how it's cooked of course. And so is TVP and seitan. And, of course, veggies/fruits are always healthy. The greener the better. If you have ligament/cartilege problems, add beets, nuts and stuff with Vit. E. Works like a charm.

Old
05-14-2008, 03:16 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
So last night I walked about 5 clicks and biked about the same.

I felt alive today.

I may put that jog on hold since Im feeling some tightness in one calf...I'm definitly going biking tonight though!

Oh all you nutrition Guru's...Im eating (non intentionally) mostly a vegetarian type diet (save for some portions of seafood, poulty and fish)...is this adverse for the weight loss process? Mind you Im going to shed a few pounds first and work on my cardio endurance before I hit the Gym.
Sounds heavy on the carbs and low on the protein. I would definitely try to balance it out. And as long as you're eating lots of fruits and vegetables instead of bread products as your mostly vegetarian diet, you should be okay.

Old
05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Sounds heavy on the carbs and low on the protein. I would definitely try to balance it out. And as long as you're eating lots of fruits and vegetables instead of bread products as your mostly vegetarian diet, you should be okay.
Oh I try to eat the complex carbs around lunch or for breakfast...

I eat a lot of beans and nuts...

But yeah a lot of fresh fruits and veggies

I just trying to clean by body of toxins

Old
05-14-2008, 03:27 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

I don't have any bulge per se, as I've always been skinny as a stick, but I'm hardly in the shape that I used to be. I was thinking about training for a marathon today when I stumbled upon this thread actually.

I'll start running this week and let you know if my dreams of marathon greatness are realizable, or only a fleeting notion of grandeur. I think I'm gonna try a 10-15km jaunt first, and see how I fare, then I'll go from there. Anyone else in the mood for a marathon??

Great thread btw

Old
05-14-2008, 05:13 PM

Friday is coming pretty fast. Here's the deal for me:

I will not stop eating fast food. I mean, of course I will cut down on it, but I'm not for privation. What I'm going to do though is plan a lot of cardio, sports, and will try to lead a more 'healthy' life. Here's the plan:

Driving range twice a week (just getting started with golf)
Tennis 3 times a week
Hockey once a week
15 kms of bike twice a week (will increase kms each month)
Jogging 4 times a week on the morning (will start with 20 mins and increase each week)

Most importantly: warming up and stretching. I have this very wrong habit of never stretching before I do sports or exercises. From now on I need to warm up and stretch, both before and after my 'routine' or before I play sport.

I will also try to stop spending 5 straight hours doing computer stuff before going to bed on week nights. I'll try to cut down on that, that way I'll get more sleep and maybe my life will be a little bit more interesting. Add to that the fact that I'll eat a bit better, and I should be in great shape at the end of the summer, and hopefully stay in good condition through out the damn winter.

Don't forget that my goal isnt too lose weight (I'm 5-8 155) but just to get in shape.

So that's it. I'll post my pic on Friday.

Old
05-14-2008, 05:16 PM
m00ks

http://www.thedailyplate.com/

Stumbled across it found it very helpful.

Old
05-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Dang, forgot to mention. I'll also try to hit the gym at least twice a week during the summer. Some weight training is always good to stay in shape and look nice on the beach.

Old
05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Friday is coming pretty fast. Here's the deal for me:

I will not stop eating fast food. I mean, of course I will cut down on it, but I'm not for privation. What I'm going to do though is plan a lot of cardio, sports, and will try to lead a more 'healthy' life. Here's the plan:

Driving range twice a week (just getting started with golf)
Tennis 3 times a week
Hockey once a week
15 kms of bike twice a week (will increase kms each month)
Jogging 4 times a week on the morning (will start with 20 mins and increase each week)

Most importantly: warming up and stretching. I have this very wrong habit of never stretching before I do sports or exercises. From now on I need to warm up and stretch, both before and after my 'routine' or before I play sport.

I will also try to stop spending 5 straight hours doing computer stuff before going to bed on week nights. I'll try to cut down on that, that way I'll get more sleep and maybe my life will be a little bit more interesting. Add to that the fact that I'll eat a bit better, and I should be in great shape at the end of the summer, and hopefully stay in good condition through out the damn winter.

Don't forget that my goal isnt too lose weight (I'm 5-8 155) but just to get in shape.

So that's it. I'll post my pic on Friday.
Won't help you with your cholesterol though.

Old
05-14-2008, 07:47 PM
KaTaKlIsM

Quote:
Oh I try to eat the complex carbs around lunch or for breakfast...

I eat a lot of beans and nuts...

But yeah a lot of fresh fruits and veggies

I just trying to clean by body of toxins
if you wanna lose wieght..... try to avoid bread, potato, pasta, rice, oat meal, etc... if you need to eat it, eat brown stuff, and earlier in the day as possible.
-eat as many green veggies as you want (potato is not a veggie)
-eat moderately not green vedgies
-eat lean meat ( chicken breast, tenderloin, all kinds of fish, etc..)
-nuts are healthy but keep in mind that's a lot of fat... so dont eat too many in a day
-avoid all deserts, fast food, chips, candies... and EVERYTHING THAT COMES INTO A BOX!
-avoid fruit juice... eat a fruit instead
-drink a lot of water
-eat fruits but moderately since its full of sugar.. I know its good sugar but still sugar.. and sugar is not that good when you want to lose weight.
-try to eat 6 times a day instead of 3 big meal....

the idea here is not to eat clean like this forever... when you attain the weight you want, you can still eat fast food... but moderately...!

-also, dont stop eating fat! everybody needs fat! try to eat mono and poly insaturated fat... (nuts, fish, probably beans,olive oil, etc.) and AVOID trans fat and try to reduce your saturated fat... (non lean meat has plenty)!

Old
05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
-eat fruits but moderately since its full of sugar.. I know its good sugar but still sugar.. and sugar is not that good when you want to lose weight.

Sugar from fruits is good, you just have to eat certain fruits

The difference between FRUIT sugar (fructose) and refined sugar
(sucrose) is as follows.

Fruit sugar is something known as FRUCTOSE

"Fructose is broken down by the body slowly and is converted into
SUCROSE and GLYCOGEN. Fructose is often recommended for, and consumed by, people with diabetes mellitus or hypoglycemia, because it has a very low Glycemic Index (GI 23) relative to cane sugar."

Here is a list of high sugar fruits and low sugar fruits. High sugar fruits are still low in calories and very high in nutrition.

They don't need to be avoided, unless you are in the initial stages of a low carb diet.

High Sugar Fruit

* Apples,
* Cherries,
* Grapes,
* Loganberries,
* Kumquats,
* Mangoes,
* Pears,
* Pineapple,
* Pomegranates,
* Bananas,
* Figs,
* Prunes,
* Dried Fruits

Low Carb Fruit

* Cantaloupe,
* Rhubarb,
* Berries,
* Watermelon,
* Melons,
* Tomatoes,
* Apricots,
* Grapefruit,
* Guava,
* Lemons,
* Limes,
* Oranges,
* Papayas,
* Peaches,
* Plums,
* Raspberries,
* Tangerines,
* Kiwis

Remember to eat whole fruits instead of juice most of the time. Fruit juices don't have the fiber of whole fruits. Fiber will keep you feeling full longer.

Old
05-14-2008, 08:18 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

(sucrose) is as follows.

SUCROSE and GLYCOGEN. Fructose is often recommended for, and consumed by, people with diabetes mellitus or hypoglycemia, because it has a very low Glycemic Index (GI 23) relative to cane sugar."

Here is a list of high sugar fruits and low sugar fruits. High sugar fruits are still low in calories and very high in nutrition.

They don't need to be avoided, unless you are in the initial stages of a low carb diet.

High Sugar Fruit

* Apples
* Cherries,
* Grapes,
* Loganberries,
* Kumquats,
* Mangoes,
* Pears,
* Pineapple,
* Pomegranates,
* Bananas,
* Figs
* Prunes
* Dried Fruits

Low Carb Fruit

* Cantaloupe,*** very good
* Rhubarb,
* Berries,*** very good
* Watermelon,*** does nothing for you
* Melons,*** good
* Tomatoes,
* Apricots,
* Grapefruit,
* Guava,
* Lemons,
* Limes,
* Oranges,
* Papayas,*** excellent
* Peaches,
* Plums,
* Raspberries,
* Tangerines,
* Kiwis*** good

Remember to eat whole fruits instead of juice most of the time. Fruit juices don't have the fiber of whole fruits. Fiber will keep you feeling full longer.
Great post. And to debate with the previous post, cutting down on carbs is no good for you. You need to maintain a healthy ratio of carbs-protein-fats. Like 40%-30%-30% of total calories. Carbs are important. Bread is important (whole grain, whole wheat...not Wonder Bread).

Stay away from refined carbs and stay away from fruit that has been cut awhile ago and is sitting there, because it becomes more sugary.

You shouldn't lose weight too fast either. 1 pd a week for a woman, 2 max if you are a guy.

The problem I have is I don't eat enough veggies/fruit. Hard to keep a fresh supply in the house. I don't have a car and don't want to shop every 4-5 days.

Old
05-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
Yeah, but cutting down on carbs is no good for you. You need to maintain a healthy ratio of carbs-protein-fats. Like 40-30-30. Carbs are important. Bread is important (whole grain, whole wheat...not Wonder Bread).

Stay away from refined carbs and stay away from fruit that has been cut awhile ago and is sitting there, because it becomes more sugary.

You shouldn't lose weight too fast either. 1 pd a week for a woman, 2 max if you are a guy.
If you start a diet then you should cut carbs to 25-30 grams a day for a week to 10 days just to start the lypolysis process in your body.

Lipolysis is the breakdown of fat stored in fat cells. During this process, free fatty acids are released into the bloodstream and circulate throughout the body. Ketones are produced, and are found in large quantities in ketosis (a state in metabolism occurring when the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies which can be used by the body for energy.).

This means you are deriving energy from the fat you burn and that is stored in your body instead of deriving energy from the food you eat wich leaves your fat stores untouched.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Won't help you with your cholesterol though.
I'm not doing a diet, I don't have any cholesterol. I just wanna get in shape, not spend my summer eating only fruits and veggies.

I mean, of course I'm not gonna spend my week at Mcdonalds. I'm already not eating too bad, maybe some bad snacks late at night and a pizza with the guys while drinking beers on the weekend. Other than that, I always have good meals and don't eat that much fast food. I really don't want to change my nutrition too much, I think it's fine.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:08 PM
KaTaKlIsM

Quote:

(sucrose) is as follows.

High Sugar Fruit

* Apples,
* Cherries,
* Grapes,
* Loganberries,
* Kumquats,
* Mangoes,
* Pears,
* Pineapple,
* Pomegranates,
* Bananas,
* Figs,
* Prunes,
* Dried Fruits

Low Carb Fruit

* Cantaloupe,
* Rhubarb,
* Berries,
* Watermelon,
* Melons,
* Tomatoes,
* Apricots,
* Grapefruit,
* Guava,
* Lemons,
* Limes,
* Oranges,
* Papayas,
* Peaches,
* Plums,
* Raspberries,
* Tangerines,
* Kiwis

great post indeed ( i dont really agree with your ranking but its not that important), but i can guarantee you that if you eat a ton of fruits, you wont lose weight... dont forget calories when you try to lose weight.... i never said to not eat them... i said not eat a ton.. there's a difference.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:11 PM
KaTaKlIsM

Quote:
Great post. And to debate with the previous post, cutting down on carbs is no good for you. You need to maintain a healthy ratio of carbs-protein-fats. Like 40%-30%-30% of total calories. Carbs are important. Bread is important (whole grain, whole wheat...not Wonder Bread).

The problem I have is I don't eat enough veggies/fruit. Hard to keep a fresh supply in the house. I don't have a car and don't want to shop every 4-5 days.
you can get all the carbs you need from fruits and veggies... and like i said, if you want to eat bread, pasta ,etc... eat it earlier during the day... (breakfast would be the best...)

Old
05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
KaTaKlIsM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I'm not doing a diet, I don't have any cholesterol. I just wanna get in shape, not spend my summer eating only fruits and veggies.

I mean, of course I'm not gonna spend my week at Mcdonalds. I'm already not eating too bad, maybe some bad snacks late at night and a pizza with the guys while drinking beers on the weekend. Other than that, I always have good meals and don't eat that much fast food. I really don't want to change my nutrition too much, I think it's fine.
oh... i forgot about that one.. for those who wanna lose weight (i know 57 it's not your goal) try to avoid alcohol (beer, liquor, wine).... probably Ice Poutine will tell me that a glass of red wine per day is good for health! true, but it's also full of calories... beer is really bad. the best would be something like diet coke with rhum... but again, alcohol is to avoid when trying to lose weight

Old
05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

**Just wanted to add my 2 cents**

6 days during the week I watch closely what I eat. But I choose 1 day a week to eat whatever I want. It could be junk food, bake goods, whatever.

All week while I'm eating properly I think of the that one day when I can eat what I want. But once that day comes, my cravings are next to nothing.

For me the problem was that I don't like having what I eat dictated to me. By giving myself one day to eat what I want. I still eat healthy the majority of the time, but on my terms.

05-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
**Just wanted to add my 2 cents**

6 days during the week I watch closely what I eat. But I choose 1 day a week to eat whatever I want. It could be junk food, bake goods, whatever.

All week while I'm eating properly I think of the that one day when I can eat what I want. But once that day comes, my cravings are next to nothing.

For me the problem was that I don't like having what I eat dictated to me. By giving myself one day to eat what I want. I still eat healthy the majority of the time, but on my terms.
Thats the same thing that i do, except i break it into 3 meals a week instead of on just one day. So if i feel like Burgers King tonight, i indulge. But i do that only for 3 meals a week. Keeps me sane.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:38 PM
charms

Quote:
SUCROSE and GLYCOGEN.
Fructose is a monosaccharide and is not converted to sucrose is a disaccharide. Fructose is converted to glucose (another monosaccharide)... which is then stored as glycogen.

Quote:
High Sugar Fruit

* Apples,
* Cherries,
* Grapes,
* Loganberries,
* Kumquats,
* Mangoes,
* Pears,
* Pineapple,
* Pomegranates,
* Bananas,
* Figs,
* Prunes,
* Dried Fruits
Apples and pears are higher in sugar than melons and berries, for example, but they are also relatively high in fibre... so they are actually fairly low GI fruits.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thats the same thing that i do, except i break it into 3 meals a week instead of on just one day. So if i feel like Burgers King tonight, i indulge. But i do that only for 3 meals a week. Keeps me sane.
That's actually a very good idea. This way you can spread out the meals and keep your eating routine regular. Thanks IP, I might look into doing this.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:49 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
That's actually a very good idea. This way you can spread out the meals and keep your eating routine regular. Thanks IP, I might look into doing this.
IP and H10H, I lost a bunch of weight with this approach. It works GREAT.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
Apples and pears are higher in sugar than melons and berries, for example, but they are also relatively high in fibre... so they are actually fairly low GI fruits.
Because you have to substract the fibres from the carbs to get you final carb count.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
IP and H10H, I lost a bunch of weight with this approach. It works GREAT.
Itd actually called "carb cycling" wich is a method in wich you make sure to keep low carbs count on at least 4 days of the week and then you can pig out and not gain all the weight you lost.

Unless you pig out like with 3 cases of beer, lots of pasta and pastry and count that as ONE meal...

Old
05-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
I find its easier to control some cravings that way instead of waiting for the weekend and if you are with friends, you can eat out with them and not stand out for not eating. Its a bit more flexible for me at least.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:57 PM
FinnoHab

All right, I'm in. On my mobile right now but will post the basic info and a pic or two later..

Closed Thread