HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Steve Montador

Old
04-28-2008, 10:55 AM
HoustonHockeyNut

vCash: 500
Steve Montador

I know Montador has had some experience both and forward and defense. How have the Panthers been using him? Do you think he'll be back in '08-09? (Not a fantasy question, just a fan question )

HoustonHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Laus723
Future Now

He was used this year mostly on the checking lines, PK, and PP. He wants more than 1 million this year, likely, so I don't think I see him coming back. Some of the reports coming out sound like he doesn't believe he'll be back either.

04-28-2008, 11:12 AM
HoustonHockeyNut

Thanks. 1 mil+ is a bit much for a checker, tho. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out this off-season.

HoustonHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Acadmus

He had a career year and being a forward/defenseman is still a rarity that is a valuable commodity (since you've got one extra guy on your roster that can fill either position with an injury, or can start a game as a forward and finish as a defenseman if a need arises). So he's certainly worth a bit more than a standard checker.

That said, he apparently wants to meet with the new coach before discussing contracts (according to Biggane in Sun-Sentinel), and the Panthers are not sure they want to dish out cash for him, something of which he has already expressed understanding.

04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
He had a career year and being a forward/defenseman is still a rarity that is a valuable commodity (since you've got one extra guy on your roster that can fill either position with an injury, or can start a game as a forward and finish as a defenseman if a need arises). So he's certainly worth a bit more than a standard checker.

That said, he apparently wants to meet with the new coach before discussing contracts (according to Biggane in Sun-Sentinel), and the Panthers are not sure they want to dish out cash for him, something of which he has already expressed understanding.
He did have a great year and I appreciate what he did. He's a grinder who doens't mind mixing it up (although he only had 5 fights last season and didn't fare to well) and is a servicable defenseman if we need one. I actually like that about him when he's on the checking lines.

I'd like for him to come back, but I think he's going to be asking for more than 1.4 (based on last year's arbitration hearings) and I don't think Martin wants to pay him that, though Martin does seem to really like Monty. We'll have to wait and see, I gues, but he's valuable and knows the teammates already.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Slick Cat

Monty is a great team guy, plays up or back, even good on the power play, great in the lockeroom and sticks up for his teamates. Re-signing him is a no-brainer which means he's as good as gone with passive jacques at the wheel. He'll let him go and sign another soft third line player instead. Then he'll trade his whipping boy Ollie for two more third line guys and a future fourth line guy.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
PanthersRule96

I'm getting the feeling that Monty doesn't really want to be here anymore. I liked him and he was a good player who seemed to really overachieve and played beyond his capabilites, which is always nice to see. He's very improved and a good leader, but he's not a fantastic defensman by any means. If the salary got up pretty high, I'd pass on resigning him as long as we sign someone else who can make an impact with that money. It just depends. In Jacques eyes, watch him come out and say we have Belak to replace Monty as Belak occupies 4th line or extra dman spots (notice I didn't say plays, since he doesn't do much, only occupy that position), when clearly Monty is effective there.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I like Monty a lot. Versatile, hard-working, defensively responsible and plays any role you ask him.

But he's not going to be worth his pay-raise, at least for the Panthers. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense but with guys like Jay-Bo and Olesz about to get raises, I'm hoping that Monty gets his well-deserved raise with another team and has a successful remaining career.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
FlaPanthers7

The guy had a career year and is versatile. He'll probably get more money elsewhere than from our el-cheapo franchise, unfortunately.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
The guy had a career year and is versatile. He'll probably get more money elsewhere than from our el-cheapo franchise, unfortunately.
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php

You should look at where the club is salary cap wise and add Bo, Olesz and Booth. There isnt any room.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I can see Monty getting as much as 1.5+ this summer. We're not going to pay him that much to be our 7th d-man or a reserve forward, and we shouldn't. Besides, he probably wants a regular spot in the lineup anyway. Hopefully he signs somewhere and becomes a regular. I wish him the best.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Acadmus

I'm really hoping somehow we keep him. This team doesn't have enough heart-and-soul players like him, and losing him will only hurt.

I'd hate to see him go back to Calgary...then we'll have effectively and officially traded Huselius for jack-you-know-what.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
I'm really hoping somehow we keep him. This team doesn't have enough heart-and-soul players like him, and losing him will only hurt.

I'd hate to see him go back to Calgary...then we'll have effectively and officially traded Huselius for jack-you-know-what.
I agree. His versatility is invaluable for a team like ours who can't stay healthy. Also, as you mentioned he is a great heart-and-soul leader type.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 01:45 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Guy is going to cash in and we wont match his offer. Every team needs a guy like him. Montador is great and is going to be missed. Didn't realize how good his numbers were for a fourth line guy who got some PP time. 8 goals and 23 points.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Booth10

Quote:

Well if you want Huselius back you can have him for nothing as he is a UFA. So i guess with that logic, if we keep Montador, we got him for nothing.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
Well if you want Huselius back you can have him for nothing as he is a UFA. So i guess with that logic, if we keep Montador, we got him for nothing.
Why stop there? If we don't sign either and neither does Calgary, then both teams traded nothing for nothing...and if we sign Useless and they sign Monty it'll be like the trade never happened!

Old
04-29-2008, 04:22 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Monty will get $1.5M minimum.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Huselius is definitely not re-signing with Calgary as he was still Keenan's whipping boy and he can't stand that. As an impending UFA, he's set to cash in too and a team like Vancouver or even Toronto could be willing to bring him in.

On Montador, he's a great team guy and all but I dont think you see any of the playoff teams with a guy like him on their roster, do you? That says something about what he's worth if you want to be a playoff team. I take nothing away from what he accomplished this yr or since he's been in FL and what he's been asked to do. Just obviously not worth what he's going to be asking for as a 4th liner/depth d-man.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 06:21 AM
jol

Quote:
Why stop there? If we don't sign either and neither does Calgary, then both teams traded nothing for nothing...and if we sign Useless and they sign Monty it'll be like the trade never happened!
Also if you lose UFA would you still get a late round draft pick (from league)?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post

JOL
I don't think you get anything for losing an UFA. Just an RFA who signs an offer sheet or an unsigned prospect who reenters the draft. Sometimes trades include conditional picks that depend upon a player resigning instead of going UFA, but this wasn't one of those deals.

Old
05-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post

JOL
Nah, they did away with that...

(Sorry, I'm a Penguin fan just passing through, I'm also your GM in IB's free agent game and, while I have a plan, I was just trying to get the attitude of the fans as best I could)...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote