HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Grabovski "probably returning to the RSL"?

Old
05-06-2008, 05:34 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

vCash: 500
Awards:
Grabovski "probably returning to the RSL"?

Did anyone else catch that in Pat Hickey's column in today's Gazette? News to me, if it's true...I didn't think Grabovski had much of a future here but still a bit of a bummer to see him go.

Edit: Found the article online

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...c9c0c5&k=64081

Quote:
O'Byrne received some general guidelines on training from the team and said he had the usual goal of being "bigger, stronger and faster." He's one of six restricted free agents. The group includes the seldom-used Mikhail Grabovski, who appears headed back to the Russian Elite League, and fellow Belarusian Andrei Kostitsyn.

Last edited by hototogisu: 05-06-2008 at 06:43 PM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

I doubt he'll go.

I think he'll tough it out for another year or two and see what happens.

He obviously wanted to play in the NHL or he wouldn't of spent nearly two full seasons in Hamilton.

If in a year or two, he doesn't crack our roster (or traded to another team), I think he'd head back overseas.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:38 PM
SpreeEndaz

Who cares ? He still can't manage to stay on his feet and he's been here for a couple of years, I think this experiment is over.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:39 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I doubt he'll go.

I think he'll tough it out for another year or two and see what happens.

He obviously wanted to play in the NHL or he wouldn't of spent nearly two full seasons in Hamilton.

If in a year or two, he doesn't crack our roster (or traded to another team), I think he'd head back overseas.
Maybe he gets dealt at the draft???

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Who cares ? He still can't manage to stay on his feet and he's been here for a couple of years, I think this experiment is over.
My thoughts exactly.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Guillemin

Teams are desperate enough for skilled forward prosects. Someone would deal for him, and he'd probably take third line minutes on a struggling team before going to Russia.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Guriken

Everyone had doubts about Mark Streit's game but he surprised everyone here... I think Grabovski also has a good chance to do so.

Mikhail makes me think of Ribeiro... He could become better with more game experience in the NHL.

I say try hard to keep him, he is explosive and just needs to adjust his game to the NHL.

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:07 PM
LV Hab

You guys think we could get a 3rd rounder for him?

I would like to see the kid pan out, but it's a bit of an up hill climb for the him. I don't know if Mtl's third line really suits him.

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:15 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Did anyone else catch that in Pat Hickey's column in today's Gazette? News to me, if it's true...I didn't think Grabovski had much of a future here but still a bit of a bummer to see him go.
He isn't NHL material to me.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Roulin

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts
2003-04 Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik Russia 44 6 11 17
2004-05 Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik Russia 60 16 20 36
2005-06 Moscow Dynamo Russia 48 10 18 28
2006-07 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 66 17 37 54
2006-07 Montreal Canadiens NHL 3 0 0 0 0
2007-08 Montreal Canadiens NHL 24 3 6 9 8
2007-08 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 12 8 12 20

Grabs' curve is still rising - that 20 pts in 12 games in Hamilton this year is impressive. The risk vs reward potential for him is still worth a shot, IMO, one more year would be a worthwhile gamble. Carbo has stated his preference for having three offensive lines. Lapierre looks to me like more of a winger than a center anyway. Koivu/Plek/Chip/Grabs could be productive and cheap. Lapierre or Begin could move back to center if it doesn't work out.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Hab View Post

I would like to see the kid pan out, but it's a bit of an up hill climb for the him. I don't know if Mtl's third line really suits him.
No I don't see us getting a 3rd rounder for him personally.

Quote:
I didn't read the article, but the RSL can offer some big contracts so imo there's going to be concerns every year about players leaving for the rsl. (not saying the big name players of course)

I like what I saw from him in hamilton, but he did have his troubles in the nhl. I wouldn't want to lose him but I also wouldn't blame him if he left for a bigger contract. As I would be surprised if Gainey would give him more then what he made this year, in fact I would think that perhaps Gainey would give him a one way contract but for less then the 700K or so he made this year on a two way deal.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Hab View Post
I think a 3rd is about right - same as Chistov got for the Ducks. I'd rather keep Mikhail anyway.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:27 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I think a 3rd is about right - same as Chistov got for the Ducks. I'd rather keep Mikhail anyway.
Well Chistov was a 5th overall pick and had more then 27 games under his belt. I'd be surprised if someone would give up a 3rd for him but I guess it all depends on what a gm thinks of him.

Old
05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I didn't read the article, but the RSL can offer some big contracts so imo there's going to be concerns every year about players leaving for the rsl. (not saying the big name players of course)
The article was basically running down the situations of the Habs' free agents with about a sentence dedicated to each, and the Grabovski thing I posted is pretty much verbatim. There wasn't any detail at all.

But yeah I think if Grabovski has even the vaguest intentions of going back to Russia, there'll quickly be a contract ready for him from some team over there.

Old
05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
mcphee

Quote:
The article was basically running down the situations of the Habs' free agents with about a sentence dedicated to each, and the Grabovski thing I posted is pretty much verbatim. There wasn't any detail at all.

But yeah I think if Grabovski has even the vaguest intentions of going back to Russia, there'll quickly be a contract ready for him from some team over there.
I think it was Hickey speculating wasn't it ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Found the article and edited it in to the first post.

I guess it's speculation but it's sort of out left field since I haven't heard anything about Grabovski returning to the RSL, which is why I made a topic here...trying to find out if this was news to anyone else.

Old
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Found the article and edited it in to the first post.

I guess it's speculation but it's sort of out left field since I haven't heard anything about Grabovski returning to the RSL, which is why I made a topic here...trying to find out if this was news to anyone else.
I've heard talk about him going back to Russia a couple times over the course of the year, but so far everything seems to be just speculation. Sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire but I guess we'll see if he's back or not.

Old
05-06-2008, 06:49 PM
SOLR

Grabovski is worth a 5th or 6th at max, imo.

Drafted in the 5th round, would be happy to have the pick back.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
GNick42

Quote:

Edit: Found the article online

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...c9c0c5&k=64081
Grabs can be a good nhler...with his great speed and offense he showed this year in Hamilton, the problem is he won't get much a chance with Montreal basically set at center for a few years. I would try and deal him to a team like Buffalo for Afinogenov...good for both players. Buffalo looking to dump salary, Grabs would get his chance in Buffalo. Habs could use Afino's 60 points for even more balance scoring. That's if we can't sign a Jagr or Hossa

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:01 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I still want to see him play between Sergei and Andrei, give him minutes with skilled players and he will impress.

7 points in 12 games with a plus 1 rating since his recall is pretty decent considering he got hardly any PP time and he played around 12 minutes a game.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:04 PM
mtl_felix

Man does everyone hate this guy..

He's been improving every year, like the guy above my post said, 7 points in 12 games since his most recent recall is very good, given who he was playing with. He HAS what it takes to play in the NHL, as long as he works hard just like everyone this summer.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:06 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I hope he stays, I think he's got the offensive talent and speed to be a useful player in this league.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:10 PM
jordy

the habs should try to get this situation rectified with grabovski. Try to make him feel welcome and a part of the team. I really feel that he can be an offensive weapon in the future if hes put on the wing with the correct linemates. If he tells them that hes going back to russia the habs should try to deal him and at least get someone or a pick for him.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Megaforce

I'm going to save these negative comments and toss 'em back at you next year when Lapierre and Latendresse are in 20 game goalless slumps and Grabbo is on a goal scoring tear either here or elsewhere. Thanks for the material chumps.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I'm going to save these negative comments and toss 'em back at you next year when Lapierre and Latendresse are in 20 game goalless slumps and Grabbo is on a goal scoring tear either here or elsewhere. Thanks for the material chumps.
You know there's a limit to how many players a team can have in its organisation, don't you? Gtrabovski has defined limits on what he can do. Lapierre isn't expected to be a big goal scorer but he is a disturber where Grabovski is more of a pinata. Latendresse hasn't scored a goal in a long time but he has a defined role that Grabovski can't fill. I don't know how you can extrapolate Grabovski into a big goal scorer. When wil he learn to do that? First he has to learn just to stay on his skates instead of his rear end.

Finally, why do you look down on everyone as chumps for disagreeing with you? Why are your eyebrows raised so superciliously? Do you use Botox like an aging movie queen?

Last edited by Corey: 05-06-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote