HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

French songs at Bell Center?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2008, 07:20 AM
  #76
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=znk;14037043]There is the English one I find amazing. (Not for the Bell Center...heh)
QUOTE]


Always liked that song. For some reason, I thought it was by someone else though. I should've known that. Pagliaro played at the Grey Cup last time it was in Mtl and was pretty good.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:28 AM
  #77
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Saying that French music suck is the most ******** answer you can give, and make the guy who wants more french music at bell center looks like a genius; seriously dont be such a 450. The DJ at the Bell center is puting Gilles Vigneault every games... how can get you more French or Quebecer than that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
You convinced me right there.

Seriously, as I said I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I've been waiting for that all my life. There is some I find okay, but as a whole I just don't see it.
Saying "French music sucks" is ridiculous because music does not have a language.

French music is no different than english or arabic or german or italian music.


If you find a particular "language's music" to suck. Its because you haven't heard enough variety yet.


There is french rap and german soft and Italian rock and french Big band and english pop and arabic disco and ...

You get the point. "French music" is not a kind of music.

Unless people singing lyrics in French somehow makes it worse.. Then it is exactly exactly the same as English music.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:35 AM
  #78
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Saying "French music sucks" is ridiculous because music does not have a language.

French music is no different than english or arabic or german or italian music.


If you find a particular "language's music" to suck. Its because you haven't heard enough variety yet.


There is french rap and german soft and Italian rock and french Big band and english pop and arabic disco and ...

You get the point. "French music" is not a kind of music.

Unless people singing lyrics in French somehow makes it worse.. Then it is exactly exactly the same as English music.
Hmm I somewhat disagree here, French is much harder to own musically because it's a language with more nuances. It's pretty hard to produce stuff with edge in french.

But hey, it shouldnt be the habs problem if the popular music industry in Quebec is basically going bankrupt because they don't seem to have found a new generation of artists. The singers are still there, the lyrics & musical writers have left the building. (Seems like a world-wide thing too.) There is a growing divide between the clients and the companies producing music for many reasons. File sharing is just an excuse for the mediocre execution of the 5 big labels, don't believe the hype.

I'm a composer myself and we get no support from anyone these days, no wonder I don't feel like working on my music nearly as much as I could.


Last edited by SOLR: 05-08-2008 at 07:44 AM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
  #79
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Hmm I somewhat disagree here, French is much harder to own musically because it's a language with more nuances.

But hey, it shouldnt be the habs problem if the popular music industry in Quebec is basically going bankrupt because they don't seem to have found a new generation of artists. The singers are still there, the lyrics & musical writers have left the building.
If it has more nuances, it only means there are more possibilites..

But if you choose to, you can build your song as unnuanced as possible. See the great onomatopae songs of Pagliaro. Or Plastic Bertrand.


If anything, what you're saying is that eventually its easier to play with french lyrics.



But music is music. There is no such thing as "french music" as a general blanket of anything that happens to have lyrics in French.




Just to emphasise my point: when Dennis the Young and Eric Lapointe made a duette last year with a half french hald english rock ballad.. what would you call it. (Not you SOLR, I'm now addressing everybody).


MUSIC IS MUSIC.

Its a friggin universal language...



Saying French music sucks is like saying Russian math sucks.

Math is math.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
  #80
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Hmm I somewhat disagree here, French is much harder to own musically because it's a language with more nuances. It's pretty hard to produce stuff with edge in french.

But hey, it shouldnt be the habs problem if the popular music industry in Quebec is basically going bankrupt because they don't seem to have found a new generation of artists. The singers are still there, the lyrics & musical writers have left the building.
Some local kids are pretty xenophobic with their love of Celtic and this sort of celtic punk style that's become popular. I played expressvu's folk/roots station and they were shocked when they had to admit how similar traditional Quebecois music is to trad. celtic. I love when you can explode sterotypes, esp. to kids.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:48 AM
  #81
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
I myself don't have a problem with introducing a few more French artists at the games if the songs are good. I can't say I really listen to much of it, but being an artist myself I can understand both sides of the situation. With that being said however, I don't think that we should look to just promoting more French music in the Bell Centre, but how about more Canadian music in general. Being in the industry, I can't even begin to tell you how hard it is to get any support on a major level be it radio play, video play, funding, etc. For that reason alone, I try to support anything related to getting GOOD music exposure - from whatever language it may be.

In my own opinion though, this guy is just going overboard and the arguments he uses are not helping his cause. Reading some of his quotes offended me as an "anglophone who thinks the only language on the planet is english", and being a member of "the most ethnocentric people in the history of humanity". In my view, that is not being professional and it will not help him garner mass support for his idea.

(For the really nice anglophone comments read the story here: http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home)

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:50 AM
  #82
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
If it has more nuances, it only means there are more possibilites..

But if you choose to, you can build your song as unnuanced as possible. See the great onomatopae songs of Pagliaro. Or Plastic Bertrand.


If anything, what you're saying is that eventually its easier to play with french lyrics.



But music is music. There is no such thing as "french music" as a general blanket of anything that happens to have lyrics in French.




Just to emphasise my point: when Dennis the Young and Eric Lapointe made a duette last year with a half french hald english rock ballad.. what would you call it. (Not you SOLR, I'm now addressing everybody).


MUSIC IS MUSIC.

Its a friggin universal language...



Saying French music sucks is like saying Russian math sucks.

Math is math.
I agree you with on basis. The problem here is the commercial part.
You can make a track with a guy saying "Rock it" in english for 5 minutes. It is NOT possible to make a track with a guy saying "Amène-moi le rock!" for 5 minutes.

You could probably pull it off in France, but the Quebec market is very hypocrite in terms of the utilization of french in music. It's got to be a "Il est venu le temps des cathedrales" masterpiece, every single time.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:57 AM
  #83
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I agree you with on basis. The problem here is the commercial part.
You can make a track with a guy saying "Rock it" in english for 5 minutes. It is NOT possible to make a track with a guy saying "Amène-moi le rock!" for 5 minutes.

You could probably pull it off in France, but the Quebec market is very hypocrite in terms of the utilization of french in music. It's got to be a "Il est venu le temps des cathedrales" masterpiece, every single time.
Whaa?

No way. There are thousands and thousands of tracks with suspect linguistic value floating around right now. Put is on CKOI or Radio-Energie in Montreal.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:58 AM
  #84
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
If it has more nuances, it only means there are more possibilites..

But if you choose to, you can build your song as unnuanced as possible. See the great onomatopae songs of Pagliaro. Or Plastic Bertrand.


If anything, what you're saying is that eventually its easier to play with french lyrics.



But music is music. There is no such thing as "french music" as a general blanket of anything that happens to have lyrics in French.




Just to emphasise my point: when Dennis the Young and Eric Lapointe made a duette last year with a half french hald english rock ballad.. what would you call it. (Not you SOLR, I'm now addressing everybody).


MUSIC IS MUSIC.

Its a friggin universal language...



Saying French music sucks is like saying Russian math sucks.

Math is math.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
- Frank Zappa

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:23 AM
  #85
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Whaa?

No way. There are thousands and thousands of tracks with suspect linguistic value floating around right now. Put is on CKOI or Radio-Energie in Montreal.
Do they work(commercial success), that's my point. Not that they are created or not.

We are far from the golden age of the 80s.(Martine St-Clair, Laver-Laver, Agadou etc comes to mind.)

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:26 AM
  #86
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
How is playing Roch Voisine in between whistles going to keep the crowd in the game and pump up the players????

This is a joke....not enough french music being played.....PLEASE.....some people need to get a life and some french people need to stop being so selfish! Not everybody that cheers for the Habs or goes to their games is french. The last I knew, it was a bilingual province!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
  #87
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Do they work(commercial success), that's my point. Not that they are created or not.
Absolutely. Too much of you ask me... (See: Mes aieux, Cain, Andree Watters, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
How is playing Roch Voisine in between whistles going to keep the crowd in the game and pump up the players????

This is a joke....not enough french music being played.....PLEASE.....some people need to get a life and some french people need to stop being so selfish! Not everybody that cheers for the Habs or goes to their games is french. The last I knew, it was a bilingual province!!
So what if they play french pump up music? Not Roch Voisine...

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:31 AM
  #88
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
How is playing Roch Voisine in between whistles going to keep the crowd in the game and pump up the players????

This is a joke....not enough french music being played.....PLEASE.....some people need to get a life and some french people need to stop being so selfish! Not everybody that cheers for the Habs or goes to their games is french. The last I knew, it was a bilingual province!!


Québec is a unilingual province where everyone speaks french and english.
Canada is a bilingual country where everyone speaks english.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:32 AM
  #89
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post


Québec is a unilingual province where everyone speaks french and english.
Canada is a bilingual country where everyone speaks english.
Les deux solitudes strike again...

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:50 AM
  #90
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Les deux solitudes strike again...
The evolution's interesting though. Bill and I were brought up around the same time, within about 25 km's and he probably accessed music in both languages. He knew the evolving French music scene, as well as the Bristish invasion, leading to harder rock and on it went. I was mostly unaware that there was a French music scene.

Nobody I knew would have given it any thought. Not a prejudice, just not something you would have considered in those days.

Things changed, and I think CHOM had a lot to do with introducing new genres of music that we'd never have listened to, esp in French. Then as the Charlebois's were being recognized across linguistic lines, you'd feel a little sheepish that your mind had been closed to all that was out there. I confess to not knowing a lot about music in French, there's stuff I hear that I know I've heard a lot before, that I like, but I've never taken the time to 'know' a lot about it.

My older daughter's crowd is very music oriented and would never limit themsleves in that way. She talks about Mtl bands all the time and it's quality of music rather than language. Progress is good.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:56 AM
  #91
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
The evolution's interesting though. Bill and I were brought up around the same time, within about 25 km's and he probably accessed music in both languages. He knew the evolving French music scene, as well as the Bristish invasion, leading to harder rock and on it went. I was mostly unaware that there was a French music scene.

Nobody I knew would have given it any thought. Not a prejudice, just not something you would have considered in those days.

Things changed, and I think CHOM had a lot to do with introducing new genres of music that we'd never have listened to, esp in French. Then as the Charlebois's were being recognized across linguistic lines, you'd feel a little sheepish that your mind had been closed to all that was out there. I confess to not knowing a lot about music in French, there's stuff I hear that I know I've heard a lot before, that I like, but I've never taken the time to 'know' a lot about it.

My older daughter's crowd is very music oriented and would never limit themsleves in that way. She talks about Mtl bands all the time and it's quality of music rather than language. Progress is good.
Actually, for my age group, there was very little interesting music in french in my youth. I wasn't into Les Classels or Donald Lautrec etc. Rock "en québécois" kinda really started with Charlebois, basically around the time we discovered marijuana. As a kid, I was more into the Beatles than anything else. Don't forget, my father was a Guy Lombardo and Grateful Dead man.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
  #92
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Absolutely. Too much of you ask me... (See: Mes aieux, Cain, Andree Watters, etc.



So what if they play french pump up music? Not Roch Voisine...

I didn't know there was such a thing!! LOL

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:15 AM
  #93
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Actually, for my age group, there was very little interesting music in french in my youth. I wasn't into Les Classels or Donald Lautrec etc. Rock "en québécois" kinda really started with Charlebois, basically around the time we discovered marijuana. As a kid, I was more into the Beatles than anything else. Don't forget, my father was a Guy Lombardo and Grateful Dead man.
What year would that have been ? Early 70's ?


I remember getting lectured about how little I knew about Offenbach and a few others. We became good friends with a couple my wife worked with somewhere around 79-80. I was surprised that the music they played wasn't what I was familiar with.

Guy Lombardo was a mentor to Jerry Garcia wasn't he ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:21 AM
  #94
Sir Jacques Demers
Registered User
 
Sir Jacques Demers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
If the habs finished in 13th place this year no one would give a damn what language they spoke

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
  #95
CacaLauncher23
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Michel Brûlé is the equivalent of a hobo on the political scene. Why even give him publicity?

CacaLauncher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:28 AM
  #96
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
What year would that have been ? Early 70's ?


I remember getting lectured about how little I knew about Offenbach and a few others. We became good friends with a couple my wife worked with somewhere around 79-80. I was surprised that the music they played wasn't what I was familiar with.

Guy Lombardo was a mentor to Jerry Garcia wasn't he ?
Yup. He's the one that told Garcia that less is more, but Garcia thought he meant fingers.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:32 AM
  #97
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CacaLauncher23 View Post
Michel Brûlé is the equivalent of a hobo on the political scene. Why even give him publicity?
To do exactly the thing that the media always want to do... stir up controversy.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
  #98
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
What year would that have been ? Early 70's ?
...
Look, I was there. How the hell could I remember the year???

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:43 AM
  #99
CacaLauncher23
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
To do exactly the thing that the media always want to do... stir up controversy.
Well, the language constroversy is getting old. Especially when you must stir it by quoting an obscur and irrelevant editorialist.

I'm sure I can find a few delusional Nazi nutjobs if i try. Why not quote them? Hint: BECAUSE WWII IS OVER! SO IS THE QUIET REVOLUTION!*

Sorry, getting tired of the media.

*I'm french-canadian

CacaLauncher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
  #100
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
If the habs finished in 13th place this year no one would give a damn what language they spoke
Wouldnt we be hearing how they lost because of language?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.