HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

When hockey fans gone wild (serious thread)

Old
05-02-2008, 03:02 PM
SpeedSkatOrr

vCash: 500
When hockey fans gone wild (serious thread)

Wearing your Rangers jersey can help you bond or get heckled by people. Is there a fine line when you don't treat someone like a human being when they wear an opposing jersey? When you see someone wearing another team's jersey, does it justify your right to beat them up?

Last night, around the vicinity of 305/306, there were Rangers fans yelling at a Penguins fan and then one pushed him so hard that he fell back. I don't know if he would have gotten back up if it wasn't for his backpack. Things got heated and the Penguins fan ran (up the stairs) back after the Rangers fan that pushed him. The next thing that happened made me wish that I wasn't a Rangers fan (at that moment), the Rangers fan pushed his guy down the stairs. I swear I saw him flip down and hit the barrier into row A of that section.

I understand that we are fans who support a different team but when did we stop being humans. When is it ok to hit someone because they are not supportive of your choosing?

I've been heckled, booed and I admit to have verbal confrontations with opposing fans but it's always in their arena and they said some racist stuff about me. Not once will I let a verbal confrontation get physical.

It was terrifying watching that Penguins fan fall down the stairs. What if he had died? How do you justify killing someone over a hockey game? Lastly, when did someone people decide that opposing hockey fans are human beings that don't deserve the same respect as the home team fans?

SpeedSkatOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Not that it matters, but I heard that the Penguin fan instigated the whole confrontation.

Besides that, I definitely agree with you in all aspects.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Smashley

I 100% agree with you. However:
a) we dont know what was said (more than likely on a personal level-not about the teams)
b) we dont know how drunk they were (not saying thats an excuse)

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
SpeedSkatOrr

I don't care if people choose to fight but to push someone down the stairs? Take the fight outside if you want to beat each other to a pulp. It was super scary seeing that kid fall.

Old
05-02-2008, 03:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery Orr Pock View Post
I understand that we are fans who support a different team but when did we stop being humans. When is it ok to hit someone because they are not supportive of your choosing?
Never.

05-02-2008, 03:16 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
I don't care if people choose to fight but to push someone down the stairs? Take the fight outside if you want to beat each other to a pulp. It was super scary seeing that kid fall.
Security at the Garden is worthless. What happened after that?

Old
05-02-2008, 03:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Anyone who gets in a fight over watching a sporting event needs serious help.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
TheHotRock

i thought it was pretty funny...but i'm a little bit of a sick guy

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:21 PM
SpeedSkatOrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Security at the Garden is worthless. What happened after that?
EMS people ran over, I guess it was that serious for them to call up the EMTs. I am sure both of them got kicked out. After that, I saw Penguins fans sneaking out, some afraid. This 14-15 year old kid wearing a baby blue Crosby jersey was making his way out and people just harassed him and giving him the finger. He wasn't even doing anything, he looked afraid.

Old
05-02-2008, 03:21 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I tend to get very vocal at hockey games myself, but I would never touch anybody under any circumstances. Actually, the final game of the season at the Garden against NYI, an Islander fan came up to me and shoved me against the barrier that seperates Row A and the walkway because I was chanting "Seasons Over!" I just stared at him in shock, like, man what the hell are you doing? Its a game, gimme a break. Join the other 2 Isles fans in chanting "First round knock out!", thats all you can do.

It makes me sick some of the things I see, not just at the Garden either. It worse in Newark and Toronto. (Leaf fan punched a Ranger fan sitting 2 rows from me for chanting "Henrik!")

05-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Davisian

Sorry guys. I got a little carried away, but he challenged the Chiefs..

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian View Post
Sorry guys. I got a little carried away, but he challenged the Chiefs..
Called you names?

Old
05-02-2008, 03:33 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Anyone who gets in a fight over watching a sporting event needs serious help.
In defense of myself, who has been in a fight before, I have to say its not fair to say this.

For my fathers birthday, I bought me and him 2 tickets to Rangers / Devils in Section 205, game 4. After the game, as usual, the Ranger fans were taunting the few Jersey people walking around, and near the escalator of Tower A, some idiot wearing a Devil jersey got fed up with it and charged at the nearest Ranger jersey he could find, which happened to be my father. He tackled him to the ground, and my father hit his head on the radiator and broke his left leg in the fall. Natually, I lost my cool and charged after the idiot, only to have it broken up by other Ranger fans. (The security is joke at the Garden) Thank god my dad was Ok, because if we were two steps ahead he would have fallen down the escalator. I am not a violent person at all, but if someone touches me or my family, that can change in a hurry.

And to end the night on even a better note, our train was delayed in Mineola for nearly 2 hours because of a drug deal or something. Well, I guess thats the price we have to pay for seeing such a great game

BlueShirts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
In defense of myself, who has been in a fight before, I have to say its not fair to say this.

For my fathers birthday, I bought me and him 2 tickets to Rangers / Devils in Section 205, game 4. After the game, as usual, the Ranger fans were taunting the few Jersey people walking around, and near the escalator of Tower A, some idiot wearing a Devil jersey got fed up with it and charged at the nearest Ranger jersey he could find, which happened to be my father. He tackled him to the ground, and my father hit his head on the radiator and broke his left leg in the fall. Natually, I lost my cool and charged after the idiot, only to have it broken up by other Ranger fans. (The security is joke at the Garden) Thank god my dad was Ok, because if we were two steps ahead he would have fallen down the escalator. I am not a violent person at all, but if someone touches me or my family, that can change in a hurry.

And to end the night on even a better note, our train was delayed in Mineola for nearly 2 hours because of a drug deal or something. Well, I guess thats the price we have to pay for seeing such a great game
That's not getting in a fight over a sporting event. That's getting in a fight because a family member was assaulted.

Old
05-02-2008, 03:38 PM
RinkOnEStreet

There is never an excuse to put hands on someone, unless they do it to you first. However I don't see any problem with heckling every single opposing fan that walks into your building.

Why should Pen's fans be afraid? All they have to do it hold up three fingers on one hand and one finger on the other. That shuts us up pretty quickly.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with giving a Pen's fan a good hearty "A******hole" chant.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:40 PM
SpeedSkatOrr

Quote:

Like your dad, that Penguins fan (even if he did instigate it with WORDS) when he was shoved the first time, the Rangers fan put full force into it .. he too could have slammed his head on the ground. I assumed his backpack broke his fall. You didn't see the Penguins fan for like 2 minutes and then he went back at the Rangers fan, going up the stairs. The next thing you see is the Penguins tumbling down. It's a human being, it might not be serious but it can turn serious. No one deserves that for attending a game to support the team they like.

Old
05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
SpeedSkatOrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
There is never an excuse to put hands on someone, unless they do it to you first. However I don't see any problem with heckling every single opposing fan that walks into your building.

Why should Pen's fans be afraid? All they have to do it hold up three fingers on one hand and one finger on the other. That shuts us up pretty quickly.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with giving a Pen's fan a good hearty "A******hole" chant.
It's fine .. when it's only WORDS, it's just different when people fight with intent to injure. I am guilty of booing opposing fans, especially when they walk around all smug. lol

Old
05-02-2008, 03:46 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
I tend to get very vocal at hockey games myself, but I would never touch anybody under any circumstances. Actually, the final game of the season at the Garden against NYI, an Islander fan came up to me and shoved me against the barrier that seperates Row A and the walkway because I was chanting "Seasons Over!" I just stared at him in shock, like, man what the hell are you doing? Its a game, gimme a break. Join the other 2 Isles fans in chanting "First round knock out!", thats all you can do.

It makes me sick some of the things I see, not just at the Garden either. It worse in Newark and Toronto. (Leaf fan punched a Ranger fan sitting 2 rows from me for chanting "Henrik!")
Was at a NYR/TOR game up in Toronto a few years ago. Bure scored the winner with less than a minute remaining on a breakaway

There were 6 of us and I can swear that we were the ONLY ones heard in the building.

We were given the evil eye by more than a few, but the immediate fans around us made us feel welcome and while there was trash talking both ways, it was in fun and all good natured.

When we got out of the building, obviously we were very vocal, but again, all in good fun and we were approached by a group of about 5-6 Leafs fans and while we thought something was going to go down, again nothing so it was cool.

My experience in Toronto would not suggest that they are an arena full of idiots like the Island and the Swamp and down in Filthadelphia, but I've been there just that one time so it's just a small sampling.

just my .2

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
thesnake

I saw this too. I'll never understand what gets into people. I dont care what was said to who, there is never an excuse to put your hands on someone else.

Now, if someone assualts me or a family member/friend, its a whole different story (like someone mentioned above)... but no words can be said that will make me lay my hands on someone else.

If you go over to the board on NYR.com a lot of those chuckleheads (most of who sit in 305 i think) are busy patting themselves on the back over this... its sickening.

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:

well, you had a good reason. its not like you tried to fight him because he's a devils fan. by the way, did you get to beat the s**t out of him

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:53 PM
SpeedSkatOrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnake View Post
I saw this too. I'll never understand what gets into people. I dont care what was said to who, there is never an excuse to put your hands on someone else.

Now, if someone assualts me or a family member/friend, its a whole different story (like someone mentioned above)... but no words can be said that will make me lay my hands on someone else.

If you go over to the board on NYR.com a lot of those chuckleheads (most of who sit in 305 i think) are busy patting themselves on the back over this... its sickening.
I figured they would! They are so "proud" to be in a section that they pay money for season tickets for. I don't get it! People's mentality are messed up these days!

Old
05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Was at a NYR/TOR game up in Toronto a few years ago. Bure scored the winner with less than a minute remaining on a breakaway

There were 6 of us and I can swear that we were the ONLY ones heard in the building.

We were given the evil eye by more than a few, but the immediate fans around us made us feel welcome and while there was trash talking both ways, it was in fun and all good natured.

When we got out of the building, obviously we were very vocal, but again, all in good fun and we were approached by a group of about 5-6 Leafs fans and while we thought something was going to go down, again nothing so it was cool.

My experience in Toronto would not suggest that they are an arena full of idiots like the Island and the Swamp and down in Filthadelphia, but I've been there just that one time so it's just a small sampling.

just my .2
It was the 3-2 shootout win this past year. There were not many of us, but the ones that were there were very loud (As loud as possible for just a few of us!)

Old
05-02-2008, 03:56 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
well, you had a good reason. its not like you tried to fight him because he's a devils fan. by the way, did you get to beat the s**t out of him
I will not get into that

Old
05-02-2008, 03:57 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Wearing your Rangers jersey can help you bond or get heckled by people. Is there a fine line when you don't treat someone like a human being when they wear an opposing jersey? When you see someone wearing another team's jersey, does it justify your right to beat them up?

Last night, around the vicinity of 305/306, there were Rangers fans yelling at a Penguins fan and then one pushed him so hard that he fell back. I don't know if he would have gotten back up if it wasn't for his backpack. Things got heated and the Penguins fan ran (up the stairs) back after the Rangers fan that pushed him. The next thing that happened made me wish that I wasn't a Rangers fan (at that moment), the Rangers fan pushed his guy down the stairs. I swear I saw him flip down and hit the barrier into row A of that section.

I've been heckled, booed and I admit to have verbal confrontations with opposing fans but it's always in their arena and they said some racist stuff about me. Not once will I let a verbal confrontation get physical.

It was terrifying watching that Penguins fan fall down the stairs. What if he had died? How do you justify killing someone over a hockey game? Lastly, when did someone people decide that opposing hockey fans are human beings that don't deserve the same respect as the home team fans?
This is tricky while I agree no one should put there hands on another person, there is the exception, that being in defense where you you're self feel the threat is great enough where you fear for you're own safety or life.Evn than it's the absoulte last line of defense if secuity or an authority figure can not be found in time to head off the confrontation. Than it's game on, no holds bared.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:59 PM
thesnake

Quote:
I figured they would! They are so "proud" to be in a section that they pay money for season tickets for. I don't get it! People's mentality are messed up these days!
If you spend any time reading that board you know that those people are fools. I've been a member of that board for years and as long as I've been there the 305 people (among many others) have been patting themselves on the back over their stupidity it seems.

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote