HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Ideal 2008-2009 Lineup

Old
05-26-2008, 08:07 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangernick23 View Post
Exactly, and he is willing to drop the gloves.
yet another reason to like him....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Yes, I like these lineups alot. Does everything fit under the cap? I'll run some quick calculations in my head.
Straka (2) - Dubi (633k) - Jagr (6) 8.633
Ryder (3.5) - Gomez (7.36) - Avery (3) 13.86
Korpedo (1.02) - Drury (7.05) - Dawes (800k) 8.87
Callahan (575k) - Betts (615k) - Sjo/Orr (1.4 combined) 2.59

Staal (827k) - Pitkanen (4.3) / J-Bo (6) 5.2 or 6.83
Girardi (750k) - Liles (3.2) 3.95
Backman (2.3) - Mara (2) 4.3
13.45 or 15.08

Hank (6.87)
Vally (800k)

55.07 with Pitkanen
56.773 with Bouwmeester

Plus theres the 1.5 in dead cap space, so no, it won't fit. Unless we differ some of Jagr's contract until next year. Although I'm not sure Sather will give him 6 mil.

As for the lineup with Kovalchuk in it, theres no way to know what the cap will be when he becomes a UFA, so theres no point in trying to calculate it. You could guess that if it goes up 4 mil per year until then, it'll be about 64 million by 2010-11. But that same year we'll have quite a few RFA's to sign, ie: Staal, Anisimov, Girardi, Sangs, Dupont, Pyatt and Sauer.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 08:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Straka (2) - Dubi (633k) - Jagr (6) 8.633
Ryder (3.5) - Gomez (7.36) - Avery (3) 13.86
Korpedo (1.02) - Drury (7.05) - Dawes (800k) 8.87
Callahan (575k) - Betts (615k) - Sjo/Orr (1.4 combined) 2.59

Staal (827k) - Pitkanen (4.3) / J-Bo (6) 5.2 or 6.83
Girardi (750k) - Liles (3.2) 3.95
Backman (2.3) - Mara (2) 4.3
13.45 or 15.08

Hank (6.87)
Vally (800k)

55.07 with Pitkanen
56.773 with Bouwmeester

Plus theres the 1.5 in dead cap space, so no, it won't fit. Unless we differ some of Jagr's contract until next year. Although I'm not sure Sather will give him 6 mil.

As for the lineup with Kovalchuk in it, theres no way to know what the cap will be when he becomes a UFA, so theres no point in trying to calculate it. You could guess that if it goes up 4 mil per year until then, it'll be about 64 million by 2010-11. But that same year we'll have quite a few RFA's to sign, ie: Staal, Anisimov, Girardi, Sangs, Dupont, Pyatt and Sauer.
do you mind seeing if mine fits?....

Old
05-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Ace2008

My totally crazy Brainstorm...
#1-Resign Avery+Roz @ total of 7.2 mill...how much per...thats up to Slat

#2- Trade Backman+Hollwegg+condt'l Pick for T.Ruutu(inj prone but Avery
like grinder/scorer..w/ 2nd line upside) and yes Backman can be a 20 min a night 40-45 pt stud for Carolina for less than what Ruutu costs.
Carolina has made multiple deals in the last 3 years where Cap hit was a major factor in their Decision making...so for all of the people screaming that this will never happen...just read "THN's Unsung 2007" Blues Hero...C.Backman...still in his 20's and a solid 6'4 he might be soft, but he is high endurance and only 2.3 mill $ cap hit.

#3- Trade Gomez(yes I love him also but CBJ is desperate) for a 1st rounder or a pair of 2nd rounders + Malhotra...(basically Gomez is good for an addt'l 50 assists/yr but Malhotra is bigger and still top 25 in FO%
this frees up approx 6 mill in cap space(basically paying for Jagr+Vally)

#4-UFA hunt M.Commodore+1of the 3 Foote/J.Smith/W.Redden(yes I know his stats have slid)
Commodore is a serviceable #4/5 dman on a Cup winner @ 2.9 mill after a horrible season he'll probably be worth it. Redden is a Major Gamble after nearly 12 years of NHL hockey and lots of durability but little flash.
I'm betting that he can turn it around if partnered w/ a big blueliner like M.Staal/Mara...who has underrated scoring ability. 5.5-6 mill x 2 yrs for Redden/ w/ team option for year 3. Foote+Smith are Right handed leaders that ideally play on 2nd or 3rd pair. 4.4 mill for Foote or 3.8 mill for Smith x 1 yr+1 yr player option @ 4.6 million

Resign Sjostrom+Dawes @ 1.9 mill for the duo x 3 years.

#6-Resign Mara @ 1.9-2.4 mill for 1 yr...I know everyone thinks he's terrible right...well if he can stay healthy he will have value to the team
depth is important.

#7- Trade Avery+Pock to the Oilers for R.Torres+Pouliot or Schremp(cheaper and a bigger/better pwr Fwd than Avery w/ alot less durability/scoring issues over the last 3 years, Torres is the 1 guy I really wanted coming into the 07-8 season...he had a horrible year and was slightly overpaid so he is a tradeable player. As for Schremp...3rd line playmaker or 2nd line AHL'er...either way he is worth the shot.
Pouliot...I don't know why but I see a Korpikoski like top 6 sleeper in him.
Pru-------------------Dubi-----------------Jagr
Korpikoski----------Drury-----------------T.Ruutu(3.4 x 3 or 4 yrs)
Callahan------------Malhotra-------------Dawes
Torres---------------Betts----------------Sjostrom

(big line that will take the puck to the net or through the net)
Byers---------------Anisimov-------------G.moorE
Reserve LIne...waiting in the Wings==

Henrik
Steve
Miika

Staal------------Roz
Tyutin-----------Commodore
Mara------------Redden/A.Foote/J.Smith
Potter-----------Girardi(still needs more dvlpmt time and filling out takes Strudwicks callup healthy scratch spot)
Baranka---------M.Sauer

Honestly I originally wanted pitkanen...but after thinking about his
A) lack of muscle mass/ inj Prone style...and similarities to Mara
B) high trade value
C) Expensive Cap hit w/ unproven record
Simply figured that NYR in the Cap Era is about paying for Performance not Potential...everybody here even Tyutin has earned their paycheck and cap hit. Granted the overpaying of Gomez+Drury was extreme but the premium of an extra $1 mill per each is basically to keep them from signing w/ an Eastern conf rival and making the Blueshirts brass look silly.

As for Orpik and Malone...I really had them on my list waaay before this season started..but now that everybody sees them in the cup final starting Lineup its going to be unusally tough to find a team that isn't willing to pay a whopping 8-9 mill + for them per annum...too much considering that Orpik style dman are always available and that Malone really wants to follow the Holik Initiative(Stay w/ your preferred team unless a realllly Ridiculous offer comes his way).

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
do you mind seeing if mine fits?....
Haha, just use this page:
http://www.nhlscap.com/salarynumbers/newyorkrangers.htm

I'm already missing the 2nd period.

Old
05-26-2008, 08:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Haha, just use this page:
http://www.nhlscap.com/salarynumbers/newyorkrangers.htm

I'm already missing the 2nd period.
thanx man, my bad

Old
05-26-2008, 08:37 PM
NYR Viper

avery(3.0)-dubi(.633)-jagr(4.0+(1.0 for 90+ points)(1.0 for ECF))
dawes(.95)-gomez(7.357)-malone(4.0)
korpikoski(1.017)-drury(7.05)-callahan(.575)
sjostrom(.85)-betts(.615)-byers/orr(combined-1.15)

forwards cap hit=33.197

staal(.826667)-JBo/suter/weber/pitkanen(5.0max=all of these players would take a contract for under 5.0 most likely)
girardi(1.55)-orpik(3.5)
smith(2.0)-potter(.5425)/vandermeer(1.4)

defense cap hit=14.8(with vandermeer and potter)

hank(6.875)
vally(.850) or someone else who will take that

goalies cap hit =7.725

total with shanny's bonues(1.5) and jagrs (2.0)=58.722
without jagrs=56.722

i think is just fits, although the contracts of course could be more or less, no one knows for sure plus the fact that vandermeer and potter are in there doesnt help either

Last edited by NYR Viper: 05-26-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old
05-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
avery(3.0)-dubi(.633)-jagr(4.0+(1.0 for 90+ points)(1.0 for ECF))
dawes(.95)-gomez(7.357)-malone(4.0)
korpikoski(1.017)-drury(7.05)-callahan(.575)
sjostrom(.85)-betts(.615)-byers/orr(combined-1.15)

forwards cap hit=33.197

staal(.826667)-JBo/suter/weber/pitkanen(5.0max=all of these players would take a contract for under 5.0 most likely)
girardi(1.55)-orpik(3.5)
smith(2.0)-potter(.5425)/vandermeer(1.4)

defense cap hit=14.8(with vandermeer and potter)

hank(6.875)
vally(.850) or someone else who will take that

goalies cap hit =7.725

total with shanny's bonues(1.5) and jagrs (2.0)=58.722
without jagrs=56.722

i think is just fits, although the contracts of course could be more or less, no one knows for sure plus the fact that vandermeer and potter are in there doesnt help either
Cap is expected to be 56 mil, but we also have 1.5 mil in dead cap. So our actual salary cap is 54.5 mil.

Old
05-26-2008, 09:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Cap is expected to be 56 mil, but we also have 1.5 mil in dead cap. So our actual salary cap is 54.5 mil.
yea, i added that to it and i also added the jagr bonuses, however im .7 over so i dont know where i could shave salary....maybe jagr?....or orpik?....or te other first pairing defenseman, i also have both vandermeer and potter on there

Old
05-26-2008, 10:41 PM
KRUPPY

i think signing huselius and putting him with dury and sjostrom would be a great 3rd line. great speed all three drive to the net. i think is a good move

KRUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
yea, i added that to it and i also added the jagr bonuses, however im .7 over so i dont know where i could shave salary....maybe jagr?....or orpik?....or te other first pairing defenseman, i also have both vandermeer and potter on there
Sorry, misread it when I quoted it.

You might be able to shave a little bit from Smith's salary, but I don't see Suter/Weber or J-Bo taking 5 mil. Suter has come out and said he wanted 6, and J-Bo is probably going to want a long-ish term deal for at least 6 as well. I'd much rather give that to JBo.

If Renney is going to turn this club into a puck-possession / defense first style team (which it appears he's trying to), I really feel the majority of our moves will relate to our defense this summer.

A complete overhaul of our defense:
Staal - Bouwmeester
Carle/Liles - Stuart/Orpik
Girardi/Tyutin - Smith/Norstrom
Potter

It's not cheap (at least 16 mil probably), but it's damn good. It's big, it's responsible, and virtually every one of them (with Norstrom possibly being the exception) can make a good pass out of our own end. And yes, there is no Backman. I know some people are calling him the next Malik, but thats really what he is. He's not a bad player, but he's overpaid for what he contributes IMO. He has great size, but doesn't use it well. He is lousy with the puck under pressure and takes a lot of bad penalties.

I think the next logical step after building a defensive corps like that, is letting Jagr walk. I don't see him doing anything next season aside from eating into our cap. I think the 6 mil we'd be spending on him would be better spent on signing Bouwmeester to a deal.

Old
05-27-2008, 04:07 AM
nyr5186

Our lineup will depend on two very important factors.

1. Whether Jagr re-signs. The Rangers' role in the free agent market will depend highly on Jagr's decision. If he's not locked up by the start of July, I could see Sather being much more aggressive for guys like Hossa, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, etc. in order to help replace the offensive production lost by Jagr's absence.

2. Whether any rookies make any serious bids for top minutes. Right now, looking at our farm system, the guy who can make the biggest impact for us, just based on talent and readiness, is Anisimov. If he comes into camp and really impresses, and shows that he could play a solid two-way game, he could definitely win a 3rd line center spot, forcing Drury to play wing (while still taking face-offs). Other than him, we could still see sleeper guys who've gone under the radar have a great camp and challenge for a spot (Byers, Sauer, Potter, Sanguinetti, Korpikoski, Bourret, etc.)

Keeping that in mind, this is my ideal scenario:

Jagr re-signs an incentive-laden contract worth $7 mil plus bonuses, with an option for a 2nd year.

Avery re-signs for 3 years/$11 mil.

Mara re-signs for 2 years/$5 mil.

Trade Sanguinetti, Tyutin, Prucha and 2nd to Florida for Bouwmeester. He would probably cost us between $5-6 million next year.

Sign Brooks Orpik for 3 years/$10 mil.

Sign Brian Rolston for 2 years/$6 million with performance bonuses.

Lose Shanahan, Straka, Roszival, Malik, Tyutin and Prucha. This is a total of about $18 million. The replacements, including a raise for Jagr and Avery, would total about $16 million, not counting bonuses. With a raise in the cap imminent, we should be able to fit under the cap with a bit of breathing space.

Anisimov really impresses in camp and earns a 3rd line center spot. Drury moves to Gomez's wing.

Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr
Rolston-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Anisimov-Callahan
Korpikoski-Betts-Sjostrom

Orr, Byers, Hollweg as extras

Staal-Bouwmeester
Orpik-Girardi
Mara-Potter

Backman and Strudwick as extras.

Lundqvist
Valiquette

This is a lineup that is bigger, tougher and younger. We would have a much improved defense corps. The potential for a better power play, with Rolston's shot and Bouwmeester's offensive abilities. More down-low size on the penalty kill (Orpik, JBo and Rolston). A balanced offensive attack, with four lines that can beat you in different ways.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 07:02 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr
Rolston-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Anisimov-Callahan

Staal-Bouwmeester
Orpik-Girardi
Mara-Potter
That team is not competing with anyone up front. It is even smaller than this past year's version, which was proven not to be anywhere near good enough. And the defensemen are questionable as well. Orpik is a reach as a #3 defenseman. Yes, he can hit, but can he actually do anything else? That is debateable. His ability to play defense is questionable. And no one really knows if Potter can be a serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman yet.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That team is not competing with anyone up front. It is even smaller than this past year's version, which was proven not to be anywhere near good enough. And the defensemen are questionable as well. Orpik is a reach as a #3 defenseman. Yes, he can hit, but can he actually do anything else? That is debateable. His ability to play defense is questionable. And no one really knows if Potter can be a serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman yet.
If Girardi is a 3/4 d-man, Orpik is as well. He's tough, sure, but he can also make solid break out passes and has good speed. He just needs to tone down his intensity as sometimes he'll take a bad penalty. I don't think anyone is questioning his defensive abilities after the performance he's had in the playoffs.

I'm also failing to see how that lineup is any smaller up front than it was this season. Rolston is what? An inch and 5lbs smaller than Shanny? Korpikoski is 4 inches taller and 15lbs heavier than Straka. Anisimov is 6'3 and will probably fill out at 220lbs.

Face it. Unless we make a trade, size AND scoring up front isn't going to come this year. The only UFA power forward worth mentioning is Malone, but he's inconsistent. The ideal option would be Perry, who is a RFA, but he's going to take a lot to get, and will probably want 5+. Which would be easily covered by Jagr's salary, which is one of the reasons I'm not in favor of bringing him back.

Old
05-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Ace2008

Quote:
Our lineup will depend on two very important factors.

1. Whether Jagr re-signs. The Rangers' role in the free agent market will depend highly on Jagr's decision. If he's not locked up by the start of July, I could see Sather being much more aggressive for guys like Hossa, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, etc. in order to help replace the offensive production lost by Jagr's absence.

2. Whether any rookies make any serious bids for top minutes. Right now, looking at our farm system, the guy who can make the biggest impact for us, just based on talent and readiness, is Anisimov. If he comes into camp and really impresses, and shows that he could play a solid two-way game, he could definitely win a 3rd line center spot, forcing Drury to play wing (while still taking face-offs). Other than him, we could still see sleeper guys who've gone under the radar have a great camp and challenge for a spot (Byers, Sauer, Potter, Sanguinetti, Korpikoski, Bourret, etc.)

Keeping that in mind, this is my ideal scenario:

Jagr re-signs an incentive-laden contract worth $7 mil plus bonuses, with an option for a 2nd year.

Avery re-signs for 3 years/$11 mil.

Mara re-signs for 2 years/$5 mil.

Trade Sanguinetti, Tyutin, Prucha and 2nd to Florida for Bouwmeester. He would probably cost us between $5-6 million next year.

Sign Brooks Orpik for 3 years/$10 mil.

Sign Brian Rolston for 2 years/$6 million with performance bonuses.

Lose Shanahan, Straka, Roszival, Malik, Tyutin and Prucha. This is a total of about $18 million. The replacements, including a raise for Jagr and Avery, would total about $16 million, not counting bonuses. With a raise in the cap imminent, we should be able to fit under the cap with a bit of breathing space.

Anisimov really impresses in camp and earns a 3rd line center spot. Drury moves to Gomez's wing.

Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr
Rolston-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Anisimov-Callahan

Staal-Bouwmeester
Orpik-Girardi
Mara-Potter

Lundqvist
Valiquette

This is a lineup that is bigger, tougher and younger. We would have a much improved defense corps. The potential for a better power play, with Rolston's shot and Bouwmeester's offensive abilities. More down-low size on the penalty kill (Orpik, JBo and Rolston). A balanced offensive attack, with four lines that can beat you in different ways.
I really like your lineup...1 problem is that its a little unlikely that Florida trades Bouwmeester...for a rebuilding team a #1 Defender is a prime building block...Cats aren't going to trade their only #1 in a league where there are maybe 14 #1's out of 60 starting blueliners.

Put simply ...the Panthers have power forwards, grinders, and skill wingers...there only need is leadership+ a solid coaching system. Barring a major gamebreaker going the other way trading a young Jbo is highly unlikely unless multiple 1st rounders are included or they are having cap problems...but nobody there is overpaid outside of maybe Vokoun. and Stumpel who is gone this year

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:37 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Anisimov

It is not in either the Rangers or Anisimov's best interests to rush him into the NHL. He needs a bit more seasoning, so he would be best served to play at least half the season in the AHL. He would be one of the first call-ups due to an injury, but to start the season with the Rangers would be a stretch. The most NHL ready player on Hartford is Korpido, who could still use a couple of months in the AHL to hone his scoring abilities.

Avery ($3.5) - Dubinksy ($633K) - Jagr ($5.5 Base)
Dawes ($900K)- Gomez ($7.36) - Rolston ($4.0)
Straka ($1.5 Base) - Drury ($7.01) - Korpido ($1.1)
Sjstrom ($800K) - Betts ($615K) - Callahan ($575K)
Orr ($550K)

Trade Prucha
Total Forward Cost: $34.043
Jagr with $1 million in bonuses
Straka with $1 million in bonuses

Staal ($850) - Liles ($4.5)
Tyutin ($2.3) - Girardi ($1.55)
Mara ($2.0) - Backman ($2.3)

D-Costs w/ Liles: $13.5

Lundqvist ($6.75)
Valliquette ($800K)

Goalie Costs: $7.55

Total Cost: $55 million

Total w/ dead cap space: $56.5 million

Since the cap will be somewhere between $55 - $57 million, it could fit.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 09:52 AM
beastly115

Quote:

Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr
Rolston-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Anisimov-Callahan

Staal-Bouwmeester
Orpik-Girardi
Mara-Potter

Lundqvist
Valiquette
Someone gets it

We need to tweak the team, not overhaul it. The changes are simple, realistic, and they solve our problems. Very well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
I really like your lineup...1 problem is that its a little unlikely that Florida trades Bouwmeester...for a rebuilding team a #1 Defender is a prime building block...Cats aren't going to trade their only #1 in a league where there are maybe 14 #1's out of 60 starting blueliners.

Put simply ...the Panthers have power forwards, grinders, and skill wingers...there only need is leadership+ a solid coaching system. Barring a major gamebreaker going the other way trading a young Jbo is highly unlikely unless multiple 1st rounders are included or they are having cap problems...but nobody there is overpaid outside of maybe Vokoun. and Stumpel who is gone this year
If not JBo we could try for Weber or Suter. Nashville might be a better trading partner because of their depth at D.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Someone gets it

We need to tweak the team, not overhaul it. The changes are simple, realistic, and they solve our problems. Very well done.

If not JBo we could try for Weber or Suter. Nashville might be a better trading partner because of their depth at D.
The only issue is that neither Suter or Weber are necessarily capable of quarterbacking the power play. They both have HUGE, and more importantly ACCURATE point shots, which is great when Gomez is QBing the PP from down low on the boards, but not so great on their own. Still, I think a Staal - Weber / Suter / J-Bo pairing would be phenomenal.

My alternative would be to sign Liles instead of either Orpik or Mara. I'll go against the majority here and say instead of Orpik. If we sign Weber or Suter, they both LOVE to hit people, as does Girardi, so we gain some physical presence on the blueline, without sacrificing the PP QB we need so badly.

PP Lineups:
Dawes - Gomez - Drury
Rolston - Suter/Weber

Korpikoski - Dubi - Jagr
Liles - Staal / Girardi

My only real concern with the whole "PP QB" idea, is that I don't see Jagr giving up control of the power play. Another reason I'd rather see him gone. The PP also exposes the lack of someone who will park himself in front of the net. But at least it's a move in the right direction. Maybe Hugh Jessiman will have a breakout year and get a call-up.

Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr
Rolston-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Anisimov-Korpikoski
Callahan-Betts-Sjostrom

Staal-Suter/Weber
Liles-Girardi
Mara-Backman/Potter

Hank
Vally

Still failing to see the point of bringing Jagr back to play with Avery on his wing.

Old
05-27-2008, 10:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Sorry, misread it when I quoted it.

You might be able to shave a little bit from Smith's salary, but I don't see Suter/Weber or J-Bo taking 5 mil. Suter has come out and said he wanted 6, and J-Bo is probably going to want a long-ish term deal for at least 6 as well. I'd much rather give that to JBo.

If Renney is going to turn this club into a puck-possession / defense first style team (which it appears he's trying to), I really feel the majority of our moves will relate to our defense this summer.

A complete overhaul of our defense:
Staal - Bouwmeester
Carle/Liles - Stuart/Orpik
Girardi/Tyutin - Smith/Norstrom
Potter

It's not cheap (at least 16 mil probably), but it's damn good. It's big, it's responsible, and virtually every one of them (with Norstrom possibly being the exception) can make a good pass out of our own end. And yes, there is no Backman. I know some people are calling him the next Malik, but thats really what he is. He's not a bad player, but he's overpaid for what he contributes IMO. He has great size, but doesn't use it well. He is lousy with the puck under pressure and takes a lot of bad penalties.

I think the next logical step after building a defensive corps like that, is letting Jagr walk. I don't see him doing anything next season aside from eating into our cap. I think the 6 mil we'd be spending on him would be better spent on signing Bouwmeester to a deal.
its all good....you are thinking the same way i am....the defense needs to improve and trades will be made IMO to improve the first pairing....there is now way the rangers will be able to compete with the likes of the habs, pens, flyers if they dont have a legitimate first pairing with good depth behing it...they need more size up front and hard-hitting defensemen on the back end

staal-suter/weber/JBo
orpik/stuart-girardi
smith-tyutin/vandermeer
potter

i think all three of those pairings are good enough to not havr to mact ALL THE TIME however the first pairing is the key...with players like richards, carter, briere, crosby, and malkin in the division the rangers will need a solid core of young defenceman and i think that that lineup would be a great start to that with staal, JBO/suter/weber, orpik, girardi and tyutin all under 30 and most well under 30... and stuart and smith would add much needed leadership, plus, the best thing is that all of those defenseman are physical and laterally quick.....

Old
05-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
its all good....you are thinking the same way i am....the defense needs to improve and trades will be made IMO to improve the first pairing....there is now way the rangers will be able to compete with the likes of the habs, pens, flyers if they dont have a legitimate first pairing with good depth behing it...they need more size up front and hard-hitting defensemen on the back end

staal-suter/weber/JBo
orpik/stuart-girardi
smith-tyutin/vandermeer
potter

i think all three of those pairings are good enough to not havr to mact ALL THE TIME however the first pairing is the key...with players like richards, carter, briere, crosby, and malkin in the division the rangers will need a solid core of young defenceman and i think that that lineup would be a great start to that with staal, JBO/suter/weber, orpik, girardi and tyutin all under 30 and most well under 30... and stuart and smith would add much needed leadership, plus, the best thing is that all of those defenseman are physical and laterally quick.....
That defence is very good. The 1st paring will be a good shut down paring while the others will have a physical edge. Our defense is too soft alot of the time.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
agree with initial post - if we resign Jagr whatever the amount - we can have Straks for less than 3! Frankly as much as I love marty...he'd be happy with 2.4-2.5 at this point in his career
Avery is not worth 3.5 IMO - 3-3.3 max.

I'd keep Rozi.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 12:27 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangernick23 View Post
That defence is very good. The 1st paring will be a good shut down paring while the others will have a physical edge. Our defense is too soft alot of the time.
thats my thought as well....looking at how detroit is beating pittsburg it is by having good top tier defensemen on their top pairing(rafalski and lidstrom) and good depth who are big and physical(stuart, kronvall, lebda, chelios)...that is how you beat the bes teams in the league....if the rangers want to compete with the pens for the next 5-10 years, they need to start stockpiling defence and be ale to counter quickly on them and score the goal on the rush

Old
05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post

#3- Trade Gomez(yes I love him also but CBJ is desperate) for a 1st rounder or a pair of 2nd rounders + Malhotra...(basically Gomez is good for an addt'l 50 assists/yr but Malhotra is bigger and still top 25 in FO%
this frees up approx 6 mill in cap space(basically paying for Jagr+Vally)
No no no no no no never

Old
05-27-2008, 12:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
No no no no no no never
yea....lol.....lets trade the only player on the team who is coming into his prime who is under contract.....

Old
05-27-2008, 01:07 PM
beastly115

Quote:
The only issue is that neither Suter or Weber are necessarily capable of quarterbacking the power play. They both have HUGE, and more importantly ACCURATE point shots, which is great when Gomez is QBing the PP from down low on the boards, but not so great on their own. Still, I think a Staal - Weber / Suter / J-Bo pairing would be phenomenal.

My alternative would be to sign Liles instead of either Orpik or Mara. I'll go against the majority here and say instead of Orpik. If we sign Weber or Suter, they both LOVE to hit people, as does Girardi, so we gain some physical presence on the blueline, without sacrificing the PP QB we need so badly.

PP Lineups:
Dawes - Gomez - Drury
Rolston - Suter/Weber

Korpikoski - Dubi - Jagr
Liles - Staal / Girardi

My only real concern with the whole "PP QB" idea, is that I don't see Jagr giving up control of the power play. Another reason I'd rather see him gone. The PP also exposes the lack of someone who will park himself in front of the net. But at least it's a move in the right direction. Maybe Hugh Jessiman will have a breakout year and get a call-up.

Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr
Rolston-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Anisimov-Korpikoski
Callahan-Betts-Sjostrom

Staal-Suter/Weber
Liles-Girardi
Mara-Backman/Potter

Hank
Vally

Still failing to see the point of bringing Jagr back to play with Avery on his wing.
In that case, like you mentioned, Liles might be the best option for a PP QB in the short term. Staal and Suter/Weber are still young and with their potential, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to learn how to QB the PP. Maybe sign Liles for 2 years and hopefully by then Staal or Suter/Weber would be able to take over after that.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote