HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Ideal 2008-2009 Lineup

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
  #426
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i like the idea of Prucha on the left of Sundin and Jagr. You could let avery and straka walk and have the cap space to sign both liles and orpik...while shifting drury to gomer's wing. more money is created if Jagr and Sundin receive base salaries of around 4 mil with easilly attainable incentives that would take them to 5.5-6, and some tough ones (85plus points) that would take them to 7.....and i'd be happy to give them 7 if they could score 85 points.

Prucha-Sundin-Jagr
Drury-Gomez-Dawes
Korpikoski-Dubinsky-Callahan
Sjo/Shanny (at a discount rate?)-Betts-Orr

Staal-Mara
Tyutin-Girardi
Liles-Orpik

i refuse to acknowledge Backman
I could roll with that, but I think resigning Avery is close to a must. Skip one of Liles or Orpik. Backman, unless traded will be with us next season.

Would love to see this

Avery Sundin Jagr
Drury Gomez Prucha
Dawes Dubinsky Cally
Sjostrom Betts Korpedo
Orr

Staal Mara
Tytuin Girardi
Backman Liles/Orpik/whoever makes it fiscally possible

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
  #427
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
In my opinion signing Sundin is the type of square peg in a round hole moves the Rangers of the late 90's and early 00's would've made...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 04:39 PM
  #428
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
SOS, welcome back. I could have used your help during the season on the Shanny front. I know you were as adamant as I was on not bringing him back last year. I like your lineup I am just iffy on korpedo being thown onto the 1st line in that scenario.
It's good to be back!


I'll say this about Shanny, he was easily one of the teams best penalty killer last season... Which in itself is a bit of a oxymoron because at his age he shouldn't have even been killing penalties. I think Shanny moves on to Boston or Montreal next season and becomes there problem....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 04:48 PM
  #429
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,300
vCash: 500
SoS!!!..

missed you man - was beginning to worry! Welcome back dude!

Shanny was a very good PKer...but unfortunately he couldn't do three things at once. If he was getting fourth line minutes, some PP time and PK time, then he's useful, but that's not Shanny, and what price does one pay?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
  #430
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
In my opinion signing Sundin is the type of square peg in a round hole moves the Rangers of the late 90's and early 00's would've made...
Ding ding ding.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
  #431
TheHotRock
Registered User
 
TheHotRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
i don't understand how you consider bringing in sundin, whose game perfectly compliments jagrs, and will probably only stay in ny, if he does come, as long as jagr does is a square peg/round hole kinda move? they can be our down low/puck possesion line and they will excel. sure, they aren't in their primes, but those are two guys who, on their own, are capable of putting up at least 80 points a year.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
  #432
McRanger23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
What about Eric Cole? Hed be good with Gomez. People say he is injury prone, but how is he injury prone if he broke his neck on the boards. His cap hit is 4 and hes only 29. What will it take to get him? Im not really sure.

McRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
  #433
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Blake Wheeler is now available

http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=364733

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:31 PM
  #434
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
He'd be a great pickup, but I don't think he'll be playing in the NHL next year.

He's definitely what this team is lacking though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
  #435
Cherepanisimov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
there was a thread that said kings fans would be happy with toots for cammo,
so...
drury-dubi-jagr
cammalerie-gomez-huselius
korpikoski-AA-wheeler
sjo-betts-byers
...could be pretty sick

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 06:07 PM
  #436
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
In my opinion signing Sundin is the type of square peg in a round hole moves the Rangers of the late 90's and early 00's would've made...
meh, depends. Jagr doesn't have many seasons left, Henrik is in his prime, gomer and drury aren't getting younger, adding Sundin may put us over the top and give us at least 1, possibly 2 serious cup runs. THis isn't like adding Lindros, Theo, Bure to a roster full of hacks hoping something magical with happen.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
  #437
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
meh, depends. Jagr doesn't have many seasons left, Henrik is in his prime, gomer and drury aren't getting younger, adding Sundin may put us over the top and give us at least 1, possibly 2 serious cup runs. THis isn't like adding Lindros, Theo, Bure to a roster full of hacks hoping something magical with happen.
Not to mention, this years UFA crop basically stinks. I'd rather take 1 year of Sundin than 3-4 years of Malone/Ryder/Huselius.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 06:58 PM
  #438
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Not to mention, this years UFA crop basically stinks. I'd rather take 1 year of Sundin than 3-4 years of Malone/Ryder/Huselius.
bingo exactly how I look at it. If it doesn't work out than it is just one wasted year. If it those others don't work out than it is at least $4mil for 3-5 years of crap. Plus than we can still be players in next years FA market if Sundin and Jagr go for one year.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 06:59 PM
  #439
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Ah. I was looking at these lines:
sundin-dubi-jagr
drury-gomez-dawes
callahan-avery-torres
sjostrom-betts-orr

I like the ones you just posted, they're at least decent down the line.

I'm just still not in favor of bringing back Jagr.

Trade for Jokinen!
too many different line combos were being thrown around.

you and your trades. what combo are you brewing up now. Cherry, Sangs, Tyutin, Ani and Dubi for Jokinen...

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 08:56 PM
  #440
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
In my opinion signing Sundin is the type of square peg in a round hole moves the Rangers of the late 90's and early 00's would've made...
how can you say that?....

the UFA's this year are HORRIBLE!!
malone
ryder
huselius
rolston

i think if the rangers can sign sundin and jagr for about 6 each it would be great...it would give the rangers a player with good size...it also allows them to have a stop-gap for a couple of years which is all they need until players like dubinsky, anisimov, cheraponov etc are ready to take over....i think this is the type of signing that makes the most sense as in 2 years kovalchuk comes on the open market and the rangers would be taking 12 million off the books that year....i think it makes sense to sign a player like sundin over any of the aforementioned forwards...although rolston would be another good option, i think sundin is the better player and they are basically at the same age

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:02 PM
  #441
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,214
vCash: 500
due to the post above, here is the lineup i want to see

trades:
prucha for torres

hollweg, backman traded for picks

signings:
jagr
avery
sundin
smith
liles
struds
vally

sundin-dubinsky-jagr(puck control)
drury-gomez-dawes(counter-attacking)
torres-korpikoski-avery(grind/forecheck)
sjostrom-betts-orr(defensive)

staal-liles
girardi-tyutin
smith-potter
struds
hank
vally

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
  #442
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
unless everyone takes a massive discount i dont think there is anyway that happens.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
  #443
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
unless everyone takes a massive discount i dont think there is anyway that happens.
i did a rough addition of the salaries and it does fit...i think it came out to be 55.4 if jagr and sudin take 6 and none of it carries over...and including shanny's bonuses...but who knows, i dont know what all are asking for

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:28 PM
  #444
TheHotRock
Registered User
 
TheHotRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
due to the post above, here is the lineup i want to see

trades:
prucha for torres

hollweg, backman traded for picks

signings:
jagr
avery
sundin
smith
liles
struds
vally

sundin-dubinsky-jagr(puck control)
drury-gomez-dawes(counter-attacking)
torres-korpikoski-avery(grind/forecheck)
sjostrom-betts-orr(defensive)

staal-liles
girardi-tyutin
smith-potter
struds
hank
vally
i don't like the idea of the third line being centered by a rookie when you have sundin and drury on the wings. i like where your head's at as far as having 4 lines performing completely different functions, but i like my lineup a little better.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:31 PM
  #445
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
missed you man - was beginning to worry! Welcome back dude!

Shanny was a very good PKer...but unfortunately he couldn't do three things at once. If he was getting fourth line minutes, some PP time and PK time, then he's useful, but that's not Shanny, and what price does one pay?
I've missed it here man...I wanted to no part of Shanny last season (even though it was a given he was going to return) and I can't imagine him coming back this coming season. I think somebody will give Shanny 3 to 4 million next season (i'm guessing Boston since his wife is from there) but that's a lot to pay for a 4th line RW. It's bad cap management...

I gotta tell ya I'm not even 100% on Jagr coming back. I loved Jagr here you couldn't ask for anythign more from the guy but at some point the Rangers need to move on...I think it makes the most sense for everybody for Jagr to return but if he didn't it might be a blessing in disguise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i don't understand how you consider bringing in sundin, whose game perfectly compliments jagrs, and will probably only stay in ny, if he does come, as long as jagr does is a square peg/round hole kinda move? they can be our down low/puck possesion line and they will excel. sure, they aren't in their primes, but those are two guys who, on their own, are capable of putting up at least 80 points a year.
I'm all for the outside the box thinking but Sundin is just too outside the box for my taste. The one forward postion the team has an actual strength is at center. If Jagr is coming back he has a center here in Dubinsky that still has loads of room to grow and showed chemistry with Jagr (Btw if second half Dubinsky was playing with Jagr all season I have zero doubt Jagr hits his contract triggers) I don't think it's a given to assume that Sundin and Jagr will have any chemistry, (what was being said about Gomez and Jagr last offseason?) I just don't think in the salary cap world you can pay a 3 centers 20 to 21 million dollars and not one of them be a consistant 100 point threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
meh, depends. Jagr doesn't have many seasons left, Henrik is in his prime, gomer and drury aren't getting younger, adding Sundin may put us over the top and give us at least 1, possibly 2 serious cup runs. THis isn't like adding Lindros, Theo, Bure to a roster full of hacks hoping something magical with happen.
I just don't see where Mats Sundin fits. Signing a past there prime vet to a huge contract to NOT fill any legit need is exactly how this team got into trouble in the late 90's and early 00's.

The Rangers roster is gutted right now..they have money to spend and if they go back to spending it on wants instead of needs we are all going to be very upset this coming season...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:54 PM
  #446
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
how can you say that?....

the UFA's this year are HORRIBLE!!
malone
ryder
huselius
rolston

i think if the rangers can sign sundin and jagr for about 6 each it would be great...it would give the rangers a player with good size...it also allows them to have a stop-gap for a couple of years which is all they need until players like dubinsky, anisimov, cheraponov etc are ready to take over....i think this is the type of signing that makes the most sense as in 2 years kovalchuk comes on the open market and the rangers would be taking 12 million off the books that year....i think it makes sense to sign a player like sundin over any of the aforementioned forwards...although rolston would be another good option, i think sundin is the better player and they are basically at the same age
I personally don't think the Rangers should sign ANY of the guys you listed above. I think Vrbata makes the most sense and if that doesn't work out they can always use some of there youth to aquire somebody in trade that fits the roster. 26 million on 4 forwards in Jagr Drury, Gomez, and Sundin is just bad cap management. If the Rangers did that Cameron Hope should quit in protest.

The Rangers don't need a stop gap at center it's perhaps the deepest postion on the team and organization as a whole.

Like i said earlier i'm all for outside the box thinking but Sundin doesn't fit here.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 07:14 AM
  #447
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I've missed it here man...I wanted to no part of Shanny last season (even though it was a given he was going to return) and I can't imagine him coming back this coming season. I think somebody will give Shanny 3 to 4 million next season (i'm guessing Boston since his wife is from there) but that's a lot to pay for a 4th line RW. It's bad cap management...

I gotta tell ya I'm not even 100% on Jagr coming back. I loved Jagr here you couldn't ask for anythign more from the guy but at some point the Rangers need to move on...I think it makes the most sense for everybody for Jagr to return but if he didn't it might be a blessing in disguise.



I'm all for the outside the box thinking but Sundin is just too outside the box for my taste. The one forward postion the team has an actual strength is at center. If Jagr is coming back he has a center here in Dubinsky that still has loads of room to grow and showed chemistry with Jagr (Btw if second half Dubinsky was playing with Jagr all season I have zero doubt Jagr hits his contract triggers) I don't think it's a given to assume that Sundin and Jagr will have any chemistry, (what was being said about Gomez and Jagr last offseason?) I just don't think in the salary cap world you can pay a 3 centers 20 to 21 million dollars and not one of them be a consistant 100 point threat.



I just don't see where Mats Sundin fits. Signing a past there prime vet to a huge contract to NOT fill any legit need is exactly how this team got into trouble in the late 90's and early 00's.

The Rangers roster is gutted right now..they have money to spend and if they go back to spending it on wants instead of needs we are all going to be very upset this coming season...
One year is not a huge contract. Face it, we're going to sign a UFA or two this summer. Would you rather commit 3-4 years to Ryder/Huselius etc or 1 year to Sundin? It's a no brainer.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:19 AM
  #448
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
One year is not a huge contract. Face it, we're going to sign a UFA or two this summer. Would you rather commit 3-4 years to Ryder/Huselius etc or 1 year to Sundin? It's a no brainer.
I think he may have meant huge as in expensive, not huge as in long.

I think if Jagr is coming back, he'd probably insist that Dubi was his center. The two get along and I think Jagr enjoys having someone on his line that he can mentor. It seems to help is game quite a bit, similar to what he did with Prucha 2 years ago.

Now, I'm not certain Sundin is the type of player that could easily switch to the wing, nor is Dubi for that matter. Having two natural centers on the ice at the same time can be a disaster. There is a lot of positional play that is inherent to being either a winger or a centermen, and it isn't always easy to adapt to one or the other if you aren't used to doing it.

So, if you move Sundin to the center and Dubi off of the line completely, what does that do to Dubi's state-of-mind? Does it send the message that the organization doesn't believe in him enough? Maybe not, but you never know how people will react to that sort of thing. Not to mention you'd then be stuck finding a winger to play with Sundin and Jagr. As much as Prucha seems to be the logical solution for that, I don't see him getting another chance this season. I have a strong feeling he'll be delt, which is a shame, but sometimes people need a change of scenery.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
  #449
TheHotRock
Registered User
 
TheHotRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Dubi is a gamer and he's not a whiny child. I think he'd realize that adding a top 20 all time talent in Mats Sundin would give this team a real shot at competing for a cup. I think he'd gladly take 3rd line center role and do his best to help the team from that position....possibly try to chip in on the PK as well. He's young, he has plenty of time to become a top two center on this club and he's no prima donna......you don't need to coddle him, he's a big boy.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
  #450
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
Dubi is a gamer and he's not a whiny child. I think he'd realize that adding a top 20 all time talent in Mats Sundin would give this team a real shot at competing for a cup. I think he'd gladly take 3rd line center role and do his best to help the team from that position....possibly try to chip in on the PK as well. He's young, he has plenty of time to become a top two center on this club and he's no prima donna......you don't need to coddle him, he's a big boy.
plus I think he could learn a thing or two from Sundin.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.