HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blair Betts

Old
05-11-2008, 11:27 AM
dccuse

vCash: 500
Given the cap situation it looks like the Rangers will inevitably have a few more young guys on opening night. This means that some (ani, byers, korpi...?) are going to be on the 4th line.

What about moving Betts to one of the wings on one of the top 3 lines - if we Get gomez a sniper then betts could be good in the corners and be accountable defensively. Also, could help us generate scoring from all 4 lines, especially if we see some of those young guys crack the squad right away - Betts can not be expected to generate scoring opportunities but he might be effective if used differently.

I understand that he's a faceoff guy but with drury's % and Dubinsky being pretty respectable, we could afford to take Betts out of the draw at even strength and let him take them on the PK when winning them is more crucial.

Maybe something like this:
Jagr, Dubinsky, ------
Ryder, Gomez, Betts
Dawes, Drury, Avery
Korpi, Anisimov, Callahan - any of those three can be used interchangably on Jagr's other wing to see what works.

All of the sudden we get some more offense from our 4th, can give it a solid 10-12 mins every night and not worry about "burying" rookies on the dreaded, protypical 4th line.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:43 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Bring him back... One of the best PKers in the league... Does his job quietly and does it well....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Name centers at his price that provide what he provides that are available.
First of, you do not know his price tag. Second, whatever it is, I would doubt that you can construct an argument that has him as anything but a 4th line player. As such, that is exactly what he deserves to be paid as.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:22 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Ryder, Gomez, Betts
Betts as a second line winger? YIKES!!!

Old
05-11-2008, 03:35 PM
dccuse

just saying that its worth a shot. If he can fill that role even marginally then we open up a lot of other possibilities. Besides, we've buried him with talentless goons since he got here, maybe three weeks at the beginning of the season, before resorting to a call up of a younger guy is a good investment, ESPECIALLY since he will still command 4th line money.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:37 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
First of, you do not know his price tag. Second, whatever it is, I would doubt that you can construct an argument that has him as anything but a 4th line player. As such, that is exactly what he deserves to be paid as.
Who said he's anything more than a fourth line player? No matter the role, if your skilled at it, and do nothing wrong to compromise losing it, why should you? There are no better qualified centers to fill the position. Maybe some with more offense, but you need big forwards like Betts who throw the body, are all heart, and play good defense.

Upgrading our fourth line offense is not a dire need in any sense, shape, or form.. and his pricetag will be 1 million or less. That's fine with me and probably anyone.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
just saying that its worth a shot. If he can fill that role even marginally then we open up a lot of other possibilities. Besides, we've buried him with talentless goons since he got here, maybe three weeks at the beginning of the season, before resorting to a call up of a younger guy is a good investment, ESPECIALLY since he will still command 4th line money.
Been there, done that, it's a disaster. With Betts what you see is what you get. A 4th line player who's good on faceoffs, good on the PK and will give you about 5-7 goals a year. And maybe he'll even build on his career high in assists! After all, he's only 28 so getting past 5 assists is definitely possible.

Betts is playing the role he should be playing on this team. Try for more and you'll only get less.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Who said he's anything more than a fourth line player?
His play.
Quote:
No matter the role, if your skilled at it, and do nothing wrong to compromise losing it, why should you?
No one is asking for Betts to do anymore. Nor has he shown himself capable of doing anything more.
Quote:
There are no better qualified centers to fill the position. Maybe some with more offense, but you need big forwards like Betts who throw the body, are all heart, and play good defense.
And no one is asking for him to do any different. He should be paid as what the market dictates a fourth line center should be paid.
Quote:
Upgrading our fourth line offense is not a dire need in any sense, shape, or form.. and his pricetag will be 1 million or less. That's fine with me and probably anyone.
I do not think that anyone is looking to upgrade from Betts. I do not even think that anyone is thinkng of a change. However, if Betts wants to be paid as anything but a fourth line center, then he is better suited for another team.

Old
05-12-2008, 05:21 AM
pld459666

I'd try to find him another home next season.

I want a center in that spot with a bit more creativity and alot more physicality to his game.

Betts is not soft, but he's not someone that is going to make opposing teams defenceman cough up the puck with his physical game either.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
blandBob

Betts is pretty good. He does what is asked of him. He was the best player on a line that was built to do pretty much nothing, why it turned out that the 4th line had almost no scoring threat was unfortunate. Betts was not really to be faulted there, more like who lined up with him, with first letter of last name being H.
Not Orr's fault for being who he is and capable of what he does, at least Orr knew who we was out there. And, another thing to think of, Betts could play with anyone. His skills (as small as many people think they are) wouldn't just disappear because he doesn't particularly like the linemates he gets. I find it hard to believe he liked lining up with Hollweg the useless, but he never complained.

I wonder why we are talking about Betts and his value, when the real problems are at a higher level on the roster, and at a much greater cost.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
Betts is pretty good. He does what is asked of him. He was the best player on a line that was built to do pretty much nothing, why it turned out that the 4th line had almost no scoring threat was unfortunate. Betts was not really to be faulted there, more like who lined up with him, with first letter of last name being H.
Not Orr's fault for being who he is and capable of what he does, at least Orr knew who we was out there. And, another thing to think of, Betts could play with anyone. His skills (as small as many people think they are) wouldn't just disappear because he doesn't particularly like the linemates he gets. I find it hard to believe he liked lining up with Hollweg the useless, but he never complained.

I wonder why we are talking about Betts and his value, when the real problems are at a higher level on the roster, and at a much greater cost.
We're talking about the 4th line because the team is so goal challenged and having a couple of 4th liners capable of scoring 8-10 goals a year would be a huge help.

I think the biggest problem with the 4th line is that the sum of the parts are less than the whole. Individually, each of the players (Betts, Orr, Hollweg and Sjostrom) who spent the majority of their playing time on the 4th line are NHL caliber players. It's just that together they don't have any offensive punch at all. And that's their problem. The team need players who have more offensive touch on both the 3rd and 4th lines. That takes pressure off the top two lines and allows the coaching staff not to overwork players because of the consistant need to score. Having a player like Betts in the lineup is fine, if he has linemates who can score occasionally. The problem is that he doesn't and so he too becomes a topic of conversation.

Old
05-13-2008, 11:21 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
We're talking about the 4th line because the team is so goal challenged and having a couple of 4th liners capable of scoring 8-10 goals a year would be a huge help.

I think the biggest problem with the 4th line is that the sum of the parts are less than the whole. Individually, each of the players (Betts, Orr, Hollweg and Sjostrom) who spent the majority of their playing time on the 4th line are NHL caliber players. It's just that together they don't have any offensive punch at all. And that's their problem. The team need players who have more offensive touch on both the 3rd and 4th lines. That takes pressure off the top two lines and allows the coaching staff not to overwork players because of the consistant need to score. Having a player like Betts in the lineup is fine, if he has linemates who can score occasionally. The problem is that he doesn't and so he too becomes a topic of conversation.

i think on most teams Hollweg would be in the AHL.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Betts doesn't make that much money.

He makes less then Korpikoski…

$615,000/year for a guy that does the things that Betts does for the team, is more then reasonable.

Only Callahan, Dawes (who will get a slight raise this offseason), Hollweg, and Orr make less then Betts… as far as team salary goes.

I really don't see the issue, he should and probably will be resigned.

With the emphasis of importance toward special teams in the post lockout NHL, having a guy like Betts to be around to kill penalties is very important. Especially when your team takes a ton of stupid penalties the way ours does.

And Betts is a warrior. He played most of this season with a bone spur in his foot (that wore a hole in his flesh down to the bone). Imagine how that felt for 6 months? Being on the ice at least twice a day?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Fletch

$615K for Bets...

is perfectly reasonable. I do have an issue with a guy who has 2 goals averaging 12 minutes per night. That's a tough one to swallow. There is something to be said about him shutting down top lines, but the reality was he wasn't fully dedicated to be a shutdown guy and did have more than his fair share of time against fourth lines too. In any event, he's a great fourth line centerman.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Blair Betts deserves more money than we paid Hossa last year and that was closer to $1 mil.... I say pay him $1 mil... Valuable part of this team if you ask me...

Old
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I say pay him closer to $1 mil... Hossa nearly made $1 mil last season and Betts is way more valuable to the team than Hossa ever was....

Betts is a valuable player for us...

Old
05-13-2008, 01:28 PM
McRanger

I would be concerned about his health as well, a knock on him early in his career was that he was always hurt. This season he looked like he lost a step after he came back from IR.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

he's gone...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I would be concerned about his health as well, a knock on him early in his career was that he was always hurt. This season he looked like he lost a step after he came back from IR.
He played all 82 games last year.

And this year he had a bone spur in his foot, and played through 70 odd games with it.

Why do people keep mentioning this "lost a step" and not address the reason for it.

He played through a bad bone spur in his foot, he had a hole in his toe that they had to close, and he still played with a bone spur after that because they didn't shave it down. So before he took a puck to the face that ended his season, which i don't see how anyone can label that as health issues, he was playing through pain and was doing his job.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

Renney coached him in world juniors and i think he will get slats to keep him

dont underestimate his offensive talent. he has a decent shot, he's scored some nice goals

he had 9 in 06-07. that one against anaheim was a beauty. i think he had one on opening night of that season aswell. it was a real nice wrist shot. this past season, orr and hollweg started to play more defensively so he fell more into the role of a strictly defensive player. put him with atleast a little bit of talent and his numbers should definetly go up. id like to see him on a line with pandolfo and sjostrom.

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocks View Post
Renney coached him in world juniors and i think he will get slats to keep him

dont underestimate his offensive talent. he has a decent shot, he's scored some nice goals

he had 9 in 06-07. that one against anaheim was a beauty. i think he had one on opening night of that season aswell. it was a real nice wrist shot. this past season, orr and hollweg started to play more defensively so he fell more into the role of a strictly defensive player. put him with atleast a little bit of talent and his numbers should definetly go up. id like to see him on a line with pandolfo and sjostrom.
He's a centerman who has a career high in assistants of 4. He's 28 years old, what you see is what you get at this point. This is as good as it gets with Betts. The question is whether it's good enough, especially when you have a bunch of prospects with similar defensive skills who are getting closer to being ready to play in the NHL.

Betts is signed for next season, after that, chances are someone younger and faster takes his spot in the lineup.