HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Sounds like Backlund last year who dropped and seems like a steal for the Flames.
Talking about Backlund. If, big if here, Tedenby falls to us for some reason watch out for this guy. We'll see if Pelle Eklund has anything to say about our pick this year. Some scouts are comparing him to a young Saku Koivu. Very fast, gifted offensively, nifty moves, soft hands, very aggressive on the puck and explosive. I wouldn't mind him at all.

Here's a scouting report on him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran Stubb

“Mattias is excellent on every shift. He has outstanding speed, stick work and work ethic. He is small but fearless - he takes hits and always comes back. He looks like a young Saku Koivu, he creates scoring chances with his outstanding skating and is very difficult to stop when he is at full speed. He has excellent balance and quick, smooth hands, but needs to improve on his defensive awareness.”
Left wing. Shoots Left. 5'10", 176 lbs.

Old
05-21-2008, 01:44 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I don't know if this was posted but here's an NHL.com article on Zac Dalpe. Great read and it makes me want the Habs to draft him now. Seems like a Mike Richards kind of player, skilled but wanting to prove to everyone how good he can be, always playing with a chip on his shoulder, giving 110%.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Old
05-21-2008, 09:08 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Has anyone received their thn draft issue? When does it hit on newstand?

Old
05-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Has anyone received their thn draft issue? When does it hit on newstand?
It's already on newsstand...I picked mine last week...

Old
05-21-2008, 08:59 PM
guest1467

What do you guys think about Dustin Tokarski in the middle rounds? He is ranked 9th among domestic goalies. However he has had a superb season with Spokane posting 30 wins and his playoffs and Memorial Cup have been way better. Our goalie depth is getting pretty thin here and we need to get another solid prospect to solidify our ECHL and AHL teams and maybe crack our roster in the future. He just seems like a good competitor and has pretty good reflexes and sound postioning.

Old
05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
What do you guys think about Dustin Tokarski in the middle rounds? He is ranked 9th among domestic goalies. However he has had a superb season with Spokane posting 30 wins and his playoffs and Memorial Cup have been way better. Our goalie depth is getting pretty thin here and we need to get another solid prospect to solidify our ECHL and AHL teams and maybe crack our roster in the future. He just seems like a good competitor and has pretty good reflexes and sound postioning.
I'd rather Mike Murphy to be honest.

Old
05-21-2008, 09:47 PM
VanNistelrooy

Tokarski will get the Memorial bump.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I would take a flyer for sure. I really want to get Justin Jokinen. I think he could be something special, especially along side Max Pacioretty, and Guillaume Latendresse; Ryan White; Greg Stewart or Kyle Chipchura. Thats a grind line that can score.

Old
05-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
I would take a flyer for sure. I really want to get Justin Jokinen. I think he could be something special, especially along side Max Pacioretty, and Guillaume Latendresse; Ryan White; Greg Stewart or Kyle Chipchura. Thats a grind line that can score.
Can someone, please, dare explain me what's everyone crush on Stewart lately? I mean he played ONE meaningless game with the big club and he was barely a player with the Dogs, but now he's good enough for our third line?

Talk about overrating a player...

Old
05-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Artie

CSS has Derek Grant at the top end of the 2nd round. I've seen him projected as low as 4th round.

Anybody have any info on him.

Old
05-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Can someone, please, dare explain me what's everyone crush on Stewart lately? I mean he played ONE meaningless game with the big club and he was barely a player with the Dogs, but now he's good enough for our third line?

Meh, most people liked him before, and a pretty good game in the NHL cemented the belief that he could be a player for us.

I don't see it next year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him after Bégin and Kosto contracts expire.

Old
05-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

Exactly. He reminds me of how excited I was about Chris Murray.

Funny thing is, D'Agostini played the next game and was great, even made a sick play...yet no kind words about him. I think we really need to look past the romanticism of having a young Hab come in to play the Leafs and beat one of them up.

Old
05-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

I agree. I was really impressed by him when he played his game in the NHL, but he will still have to fight long and hard for a spot on the team...

Old
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Meh, most people liked him before, and a pretty good game in the NHL cemented the belief that he could be a player for us.

I don't see it next year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him after Bégin and Kosto contracts expire.
Sure he could be a potential 4th liner who can drop them, but people are putting him on the 3rd line for Christ's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
Exactly. He reminds me of how excited I was about Chris Murray.

Funny thing is, D'Agostini played the next game and was great, even made a sick play...yet no kind words about him. I think we really need to look past the romanticism of having a young Hab come in to play the Leafs and beat one of them up.
Yup, that's kind of surprising.

Old
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
CSS has Derek Grant at the top end of the 2nd round. I've seen him projected as low as 4th round.

From what I've read, sounds like Dave Scatchard, but he could be a late blooming 2nd line center. Absolutely tore it up this year, rising the highest in the NA rankings from midterm to final. Has a combination of size, skill and decent speed...but somewhat timid.

It's unusual that people are expecting him to go after #100, and if we can nab him in the 4th round what a steal it would be!

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 05-22-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old
05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post

Pretty much all I found (did not look for long ):

Quote:
NHL Central Scouting’s Blair MacDonald
“Derek was one of those players who was under the radar the whole season. A lot of teams were going to go see another player on his team, and I kept reminding guys to watch him too. He had a slow first half, but in the second half he got a lot more ice time and he made the most of it. He played on Langley’s first line and did very well in the playoffs this year, carrying his team through. He’s a big guy -- a very smart player and handles the puck well. He was ranked in the sixth round at the mid-term and moved up to the second round in the final rankings. He was a guy that didn’t initially get a lot of ice-time and he could surprise a lot of people.”

Langley Chiefs head coach and GM Harvey Smyl
“Derek has really been a surprise for us in the sense that we knew he was a great player, but for him to come on the way he has in his first year in the BCHL has been outstanding and a testament to his hard work. For a big guy, he’s got great hands and surprisingly good speed, too. He won’t shy away from the physical side of things and has a great scorer’s touch.”

Old
05-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomsky
Langley Chiefs head coach and GM Harvey Smyl
“Derek has really been a surprise for us in the sense that we knew he was a great player, but for him to come on the way he has in his first year in the BCHL has been outstanding and a testament to his hard work. For a big guy, he’s got great hands and surprisingly good speed, too. He won’t shy away from the physical side of things and has a great scorer’s touch.”
interesting that his coach says he won't shy away from they physical side, because that's the biggest knock on him. Misconception? I hope so. For scouts to rank him in the 4th round they must think he's a real big puss.

Old
05-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Maxpac

Quote:

that's what happens when you have a team with no one who's willing to drop em, Stewart dropped them his 1st game, could of killed MCCABE if he would start hitting him when he was on his knees, he was fast , he had scoring chances, showed more creativity for a grinder then Bégin or Kosto did all year, we have D'Agostini type players, but i do agree with Kostitsynthebagbaby that D'Ago also had an impressive 1st game, i f i remember he's the one who maid that back hand pass behind the net right?

Old
05-22-2008, 10:28 AM
BadKiwi

Any one knows how low Stefanovich has fallen? I believe too many people wrote him off. Sure he had a bad year, but he had to adapt to a new culture, new hockey and a new position at 17 years old.

Sergei Kostitsyn also had a "disappointing" first year in the CHL. I am not comparing the two players but if he follows the same trend this guy could be a steal even in first round.

He has all the skills, the size, the speed, the shot... The problem is in his head and it could be caused by the need to adapt.

Anyone thinks we could we pick him up with an "upgraded" 2nd round pick?

Old
05-22-2008, 11:03 AM
VanNistelrooy

SK had a superb first year with a ROY nomination. Expectations were very low on him since he was only a 7th round draft pick.

Old
05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
BadKiwi

I would not call 78pts in 63gp compared to 131pts in 59gp a very good first year. Stefanovich has 66pts in 62gp. He is also a year younger then Sergei was in his first year, if I am not mistaken. Anyways, my point is that after adapting, Sergei exploded. I could see the same hapenning with with Stefanovich. When I compare the players, I am comparing their 1st CHL year with the future, not the past with the 1st CHL year.

I could also use other examples like Radulov with his unimpressive 75pts in 65gp in his first year compared to 152pts in 62gp in his second. It is not the first time that a player coming in a new country, a new culture and a new way to play hockey needs time to adapt.

I think it would be a mistake to pass on him, especially because he dropped so low. But I also know that Timmins is alot smarter then me. We'll see, I guess.

Old
05-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Any one knows how low Stefanovich has fallen? I believe too many people wrote him off. Sure he had a bad year, but he had to adapt to a new culture, new hockey and a new position at 17 years old.

Sergei Kostitsyn also had a "disappointing" first year in the CHL. I am not comparing the two players but if he follows the same trend this guy could be a steal even in first round.

He has all the skills, the size, the speed, the shot... The problem is in his head and it could be caused by the need to adapt. Anyone thinks we could we pick him up with an "upgraded" 2nd round pick?
Most of the time, when a player don't have a good work ethic and don't put enough effort in his game, it's not because of adaptation. Sure he has almost eveything, but still, having bad attitude is one of the worst thing for a player. Timmins never took one of those players, and I don't expect him to start this year. Mark my words, we won't take him in the first round...

Old
05-22-2008, 12:31 PM
BadKiwi

Maybe he does not have a strong positional play, I think he always was a center before. Trying to adapt to a position can make it look like your not trying when, in fact, you are focusing on where you should be. Steve Begin comes to mind, when he played center 2 years ago, he did not look like an energy player at all.

I would not be so quick to label him with an "attitude problem". He is dedicated enough to hockey to leave his country at 17 years of age to play for free (without even receiving an education in return) far from every one he knows.

Can you picture yourself at 17 years old leaving your family for Russia playing in a minor league without getting payed? To me it is enough proof that this guy does not have an attitude problem.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:23 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Do you guys think that we should move up for Matthias Tedenby? From what I read here on hfboards, he looks like a guy with a great offensive upside.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post

He has all the skills, the size, the speed, the shot... The problem is in his head and it could be caused by the need to adapt.

Anyone thinks we could we pick him up with an "upgraded" 2nd round pick?

There was nothing disappointing about Kostitsyn's first year. Did you see him in the playoffs that year? The series against D'Agostini was a great one was both Kostitsyn and D'Ago were so impressive, imo Kostitsyn was the best player on the ice for that series.

Stats can be misleading. Kostitsyn was a treat to watch, not just for the offense but how he played the game. Stefanovich imo is hard to get a good read on, I've seen him display some nice offensive skills and i've seen him look disinterested out there. Personally I have to wonder if Timmins would be interested in him.

Closed Thread