HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Montreal Typical

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Did you see him in the playoffs that year?
If I recall correctly, he was named London's top player of the 2006 playoffs (I think I read it on the Knights website). That's pretty damn impressive for a rookie considering how good some of the players on that team were.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
There was nothing disappointing about Kostitsyn's first year. Did you see him in the playoffs that year? The series against D'Agostini was a great one was both Kostitsyn and D'Ago were so impressive, imo Kostitsyn was the best player on the ice for that series.

Stats can be misleading. Kostitsyn was a treat to watch, not just for the offense but how he played the game. Stefanovich imo is hard to get a good read on, I've seen him display some nice offensive skills and i've seen him look disinterested out there. Personally I have to wonder if Timmins would be interested in him.
Do you know about Radulov? His stats seems to indicate the same trend, but it could the same scenario as Sergei.

From what you saw, do you know if he was moved to the wing because he did not perform at center or it was a case of Roy wanting to fill out a spot? Do you think we can land him with our 2nd round pick / should we even try if he's still available?

By the way, I always appreciate your evaluations keep up the good work.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:31 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
SK had a superb first year with a ROY nomination. Expectations were very low on him since he was only a 7th round draft pick.
He had the most points of any rookies that year, more than John Tavares. But Tavares was younger and had more goals, so he got Rookie of the Year.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
If I recall correctly, he was named London's top player of the 2006 playoffs (I think I read it on the Knights website). That's pretty damn impressive for a rookie considering how good some of the players on that team were.
I don't recall that but it sounds about right to me. He was impressive in the playoffs both years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Do you know about Radulov? His stats seems to indicate the same trend, but it could the same scenario as Sergei.

From what you saw, do you know if he was moved to the wing because he did not perform at center or it was a case of Roy wanting to fill out a spot? Do you think we can land him with our 2nd round pick / should we even try if he's still available?

By the way, I always appreciate your evaluations keep up the good work.
I don't recall watching Radulov too much when he was a Rempart. Stefanovich I assume they put at wing due to the depth they had at center. I do think he will fall to the 2nd round unless some team really likes him. I don't know if Timmins would go for him, me I would be ok with the pick, but don't really care for players that play the way he does.

Thanks.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Do you guys think that we should move up for Matthias Tedenby? From what I read here on hfboards, he looks like a guy with a great offensive upside.
I wonder how he compares to the '07 top 10.

Old
05-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Sergei Kostitsyn also had a "disappointing" first year in the CHL. I am not comparing the two players but if he follows the same trend this guy could be a steal even in first round.
Good Gawd!!

Old
05-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Maybe he does not have a strong positional play, I think he always was a center before. Trying to adapt to a position can make it look like your not trying when, in fact, you are focusing on where you should be. Steve Begin comes to mind, when he played center 2 years ago, he did not look like an energy player at all.

I would not be so quick to label him with an "attitude problem". He is dedicated enough to hockey to leave his country at 17 years of age to play for free (without even receiving an education in return) far from every one he knows.

Can you picture yourself at 17 years old leaving your family for Russia playing in a minor league without getting payed? To me it is enough proof that this guy does not have an attitude problem.
Hahahahahah. Do you seriously think Stefanovich is doing this for peanuts???? Patrick Roy had to buy his dad a Porsche Cayenne just to negotiate with his son. He's probably earning about 100k a year.

Old
05-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Do you guys think that we should move up for Matthias Tedenby? From what I read here on hfboards, he looks like a guy with a great offensive upside.
I wouldn't trade up for Tedenby (except if the price for a top 15 is ridiculously low), but if he falls to us, you just have to draft him. I'd kill to have a younger version of Saku with the team we have right now.

Old
05-22-2008, 04:31 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
I wouldn't trade up for Tedenby (except if the price for a top 15 is ridiculously low), but if he falls to us, you just have to draft him. I'd kill to have a younger version of Saku with the team we have right now.
well, if he's really a younger version of Saku, he's worth moving up... Seriously, if he falls a little bit, I'm starting to think we should make a move to draft him.

Old
05-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
well, if he's really a younger version of Saku, he's worth moving up... Seriously, if he falls a little bit, I'm starting to think we should make a move to draft him.
Well I'm not saying he's just like Saku when he was young, but they play a similar type of game. Although, Tedenby has a much better shot.

Old
05-22-2008, 05:02 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Well I'm not saying he's just like Saku when he was young, but they play a similar type of game. Although, Tedenby has a much better shot.
dude, if this is true we need this guy... Saku minus injuries and cancer was a GREAT talent... If Tedenby is that good plus with a better shot, he should go #2 right after Stamkos -- not really but you know...

Old
05-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
dude, if this is true we need this guy... Saku minus injuries and cancer was a GREAT talent... If Tedenby is that good plus with a better shot, he should go #2 right after Stamkos -- not really but you know...
Nah.. Filatov, Boedker, Wilson and Boychuck are better players.

Old
05-22-2008, 05:17 PM
guest1467

Man whoever gets the chance to draft Boedker is real lucky. This kid is something else. Not only does he have great speed and hands, his shot is already NHL-level. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the 2nd best forward coming out of the draft, however, I have never seen Filatov.

Old
05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Man whoever gets the chance to draft Boedker is real lucky. This kid is something else. Not only does he have great speed and hands, his shot is already NHL-level. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the 2nd best forward coming out of the draft, however, I have never seen Filatov.
Well I've seen both play, and I just can't tell yet. Both have huge potential, but if I really had to decide, based on potential, it would be Filatov.

Both are very smooth and fast skaters with top notch vision (edge to Filatov here though), but Boedker is a better goal scorer while Filatov is a better playmaker. I see both becoming Franchise forwards and scoring 80-90 pts.

Old
05-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Is it just me or we are due to have some inside info on who the Habs likes? After the playoffs, a little update would be nice!

Old
05-22-2008, 07:03 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Nah.. Filatov, Boedker, Wilson and Boychuck are better players.
Disagreed on Boychuk.

Old
05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Disagreed on Boychuk.
Man, what's with your vendetta for this kid? I think he will easily become a nice 3rd liner for a NHL some day. He has good skills and speed, and plays with a lot of determination.

Old
05-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Man, what's with your vendetta for this kid? I think he will easily become a nice 3rd liner for a NHL some day. He has good skills and speed, and plays with a lot of determination.
I don't have a problem with the kid personnally. But we shouldn't aim at a potential 3rd liner.....we might be the deepest team in that regard.

There's room for him to be more than that though and that's why I wouldn't be against him.

Old
05-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Ya Boychuk is the safest pick among smaller forwards in this draft. He's got all the tools to become a great centre in the big league, and I maintain that he is better than Tedenby, and has more potential.

Old
05-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Year 101

Im part of a Fantasy draft thing. I'm just curious if there were a group of top 5 who would be around where our pick is who would they be.

Old
05-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kostitsyn Bros View Post
Im part of a Fantasy draft thing. I'm just curious if there were a group of top 5 who would be around where our pick is who would they be.
My list:
Gustafsson
Deschamps
Jokinen
Gravchev
Dalpe

Old
05-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
My list:
Gustafsson
Deschamps
Jokinen
Gravchev
Dalpe
Remove those two and add Colborne, Ness and Gardiner.

Old
05-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Year 101

Thanks for the input guys that's all i need

Old
05-22-2008, 09:19 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kostitsyn Bros View Post
Jokinen
Ness
Eberle
Wright
Grachev

Hard to say who will rise and who will fall.

Old
05-22-2008, 11:28 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Jokinen
Ness
Eberle
Wright
Grachev

Hard to say who will rise and who will fall.

Not bad at all.

Jokinen to me should fall between our first and second pick. Too bad. I would love a first round pick and this kid in the second.

Ness, I really want more from a 25th pick despite the Mr Hockey streak we have and his overall size. I think a good forward is a better BPA IMO. All things considered equal, I don't think we pick an undersized skilled defenseman with this pick.

Eberle. This kid is really good. You can get bigger, but you cannot teach skill and hockey sense.

Wright - methinks he is dropping. I hope for more with our first pick...and almost our second pick.

Gravchev - he is a really good consideration if he is still available with this pick. And he should be. The IIHF transfer thingie means that some teams willing to take a risk could score a home run with a good Russian pick. All others will be scared away. With only five picks, I think the boys will take some safer bets early on in the draft. I do not see them going European with their first pick. Gravchev, Petrov and Tikhinov could be real steals this draft if a team can lure them over to NA. Filatov will be a great deal without the Cheraponov question marks. Who will be the first to take that chance? I would expect a team with two first rounders or who has done their homework. He still will likely drop way farther than his skill and potential relative to the rest of the field.

Closed Thread