HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

How much do players in Juniors make OHL, ECHL ect?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2008, 11:35 PM
  #1
Hawksfan2828
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 7,963
vCash: 500
How much do players in Juniors make OHL, ECHL ect?

How much do junior players make? 200 bucks a week? do they have to sign contracts? do they all make the same? How does this platform work? can they sign endorcements?

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 11:41 PM
  #2
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
i believe chl players (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) are payed something like $150 a week.

edit: i was way off - apparently the average salary is closer to $500 a week.

__________________
RIP Kev.

Last edited by danishh: 05-09-2008 at 11:46 PM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 11:42 PM
  #3
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Jr players get paid a stipend per week because they're billeted and their billet families feed them and house them.

A guy who I know who played in the ECHL got paid about $700 a week, but the apartment was provided.

__________________
"I channeled my inner Morneau, took the stick and hit the mother****** to the moooon!"
Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 11:48 PM
  #4
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 500
The ECHL isn't a junior league, in case the OP didn't know that.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 11:54 PM
  #5
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Depends on the contrac the CHL player has with the team.
some player get enough to fill up the car with gas, other may get more.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 08:42 AM
  #6
Canuck71
Registered User
 
Canuck71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i believe chl players (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) are payed something like $150 a week.

edit: i was way off - apparently the average salary is closer to $500 a week.
Maybe a very few make $500 a week but that is very doubtable. From what Ive heard in the last few years they get paid from $70-$100. Not %100 sure if thats true but thats what Ive heard over the last few years. No CHL team is going to pay every one of its players $500 a week either.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 09:11 AM
  #7
Alpine
Registered User
 
Alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Maybe a very few make $500 a week but that is very doubtable. From what Ive heard in the last few years they get paid from $70-$100. Not %100 sure if thats true but thats what Ive heard over the last few years. No CHL team is going to pay every one of its players $500 a week either.
But NCAA claims CHL players are pros. Doesn't that mean they make millions (WELL, more than U of Florida football players at least) and the scholarships to CIS SCHOOLS are redundant

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 10:28 AM
  #8
The Scouting Report
Registered User
 
The Scouting Report's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 500
Pat Kane got $100 000 to report to London, unconfirmed of course.

But yeah CHL players get billeted, food all that stuff provided. They also get gas money, and some teams give small allowances.

Team's also give bonuses however, depending on stuff like regular season record and winning playoff rounds etc.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 10:30 AM
  #9
VanNistelrooy
Registered User
 
VanNistelrooy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Habs Land
Posts: 2,505
vCash: 500
Stars players who comes to Juniors Leagues gets paid way more than the guy who's a 11th round pick and gooning it up to make the team.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 10:36 AM
  #10
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,601
vCash: 500
Junior players don't get salaries (or at least they shouldn't). They get allowances of 50-100 bucks a week mostly just for pocket change or to help out their billet familes.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 11:29 AM
  #11
The Scouting Report
Registered User
 
The Scouting Report's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
Stars players who comes to Juniors Leagues gets paid way more than the guy who's a 11th round pick and gooning it up to make the team.
Sort of true, higher draft picks get better education packages than lower picks generally. There are obviously a lot of different examples that could be used either way.

Either way there are about 4-5 OHL teams who break the rules and pay certain high end players to get them to report, but there is no way to prove it so hopefully the league will begin to address this to make the whole entity a more even playing field.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:08 PM
  #12
Bocephus
Registered User
 
Bocephus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Well, that about clears it up.

Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:15 PM
  #13
OHLArenaGuide
Registered User
 
OHLArenaGuide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London ON/St John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatum View Post
Either way there are about 4-5 OHL teams who break the rules and pay certain high end players to get them to report, but there is no way to prove it so hopefully the league will begin to address this to make the whole entity a more even playing field.
There are a lot more than 4-5 teams doing that.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:29 PM
  #14
The Scouting Report
Registered User
 
The Scouting Report's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
There are a lot more than 4-5 teams doing that.
London, Kitchener, Windsor, Brampton and Ottawa.

I know for a fact those teams have done it, a couple other teams maybe here and there, but not that I know of.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:53 PM
  #15
BritSabre
Registered User
 
BritSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Reading, UK
Country: England
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 500
Do junior players get sponsorship from manufacturers for playing equipment?

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 01:40 PM
  #16
jared37
Registered User
 
jared37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
i think it ranges from 7000-16000 over the course of the year

jared37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 02:50 PM
  #17
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatum View Post
Pat Kane got $100 000 to report to London, unconfirmed of course.

But yeah CHL players get billeted, food all that stuff provided. They also get gas money, and some teams give small allowances.

Team's also give bonuses however, depending on stuff like regular season record and winning playoff rounds etc.
the money kane got was "under the table" as they say, which is probably the reason why he came to london in the first place, along with many other guys who were sure bet going to NCAA then all of a sudden with right amount of $$$ theyre playin CHL.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 02:56 PM
  #18
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Junior players don't get salaries (or at least they shouldn't). They get allowances of 50-100 bucks a week mostly just for pocket change or to help out their billet familes.
they are paid on salary, they sign contracts negotiate terms everything.
it depends on the player.
some players will ask for their university to be payed for up front and every year they play they get that many years paid for.
where as some will go for higher monthly salary around 300-400.
if i recall a buddy of mine who was in negotiations with calgary was offering him 150-250 a month and he was a a 6th round pick. i know for a fact it does vary how much you get paid where you were drafted - assuming you sign the contract before you join the team.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 03:22 PM
  #19
Canuck71
Registered User
 
Canuck71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
they are paid on salary, they sign contracts negotiate terms everything.
it depends on the player.
some players will ask for their university to be payed for up front and every year they play they get that many years paid for.
where as some will go for higher monthly salary around 300-400.
if i recall a buddy of mine who was in negotiations with calgary was offering him 150-250 a month and he was a a 6th round pick. i know for a fact it does vary how much you get paid where you were drafted - assuming you sign the contract before you join the team.
All players that have played in the CHL get a free ride scholarship to any Canadian University so their University is obviously going to be payed for no matter how good or how bad of a player they are.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 03:41 PM
  #20
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
All players that have played in the CHL get a free ride scholarship to any Canadian University so their University is obviously going to be payed for no matter how good or how bad of a player they are.
no. it depends how many years you play.
if you play 1 year, you get one year paid. so on and so forth.
normally if you dont negotiate it for it to be payed upfront, essentially the team doesnt pay for it untill you complete one season at a time.
where as some player will get it pay upfront so if they want they can take a few courses throughout the season with the team paying for it. big difference.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 03:55 PM
  #21
The Scouting Report
Registered User
 
The Scouting Report's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
no. it depends how many years you play.
if you play 1 year, you get one year paid. so on and so forth.
normally if you dont negotiate it for it to be payed upfront, essentially the team doesnt pay for it untill you complete one season at a time.
where as some player will get it pay upfront so if they want they can take a few courses throughout the season with the team paying for it. big difference.
There are parameters of the education package, they vary in terms of years/money etc. but they can be broad.

The Scouting Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:08 AM
  #22
Bjindaho
Registered User
 
Bjindaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
Do junior players get sponsorship from manufacturers for playing equipment?
No, but the team is responsible for supplying all their players with equipment.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:16 AM
  #23
Superfly Jimmy Snuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
no. it depends how many years you play.
if you play 1 year, you get one year paid. so on and so forth.
normally if you dont negotiate it for it to be payed upfront, essentially the team doesnt pay for it untill you complete one season at a time.
where as some player will get it pay upfront so if they want they can take a few courses throughout the season with the team paying for it. big difference.
it is 10 games equals one season for one year of education to be paid

we have a player currently billeting with us who gets 70 dollars a week and our family gets 140 a week for utilities, food etc....being a billet is not a money making measure.

I know some players get the under the table deal..I also know most europeans make pretty good money over here well the ones who are good.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:44 AM
  #24
Hawksfan2828
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 7,963
vCash: 500
I think every player at that level should make the same ammount. Kane got 100 grand? yea just fork over 100 grand to a 16 yearold kid.

These are kids not NHL players.

Because you can play hockey reall well that means at 15- 16 you should be paid more then the other kids your age?

I dont think thats very ethical.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:58 AM
  #25
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I think every player at that level should make the same ammount. Kane got 100 grand? yea just fork over 100 grand to a 16 yearold kid.

These are kids not NHL players.

Because you can play hockey reall well that means at 15- 16 you should be paid more then the other kids your age?

I dont think thats very ethical.
you missed the pat where that 100 grand was paid in a way to get him to come play for the Knights instead of going to college. its just a rumor he got that much.
and he wasnt 16. try 18.
and it makes lots of sense why should a 100pt star get paid the same amount as a healthy scratch?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.