HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-Hanley Ramirez About To Sign 6-year, $70 million Contract Extension With Marlins

Old
05-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
OT-Hanley Ramirez About To Sign 6-year, $70 million Contract Extension With Marlins

It appears the First Place Florida Marlins are about to lock up their superstar for the next six seasons.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...,3463470.story

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 02:36 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Good to see the Marlins follow suit with some of the other teams in the league. Id like to see him get signed for 10 years, but ill take the six year deal. I believe he loses three years of UFA status under that deal, not to mention giving a hometown discount as well. Its a steal if Hanley signs it. He is without a doubt the top offensive SS in baseball, and arguably one of the best players in the NL. And he is still a youngster.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Good to see the Marlins follow suit with some of the other teams in the league. Id like to see him get signed for 10 years, but ill take the six year deal. I believe he loses three years of UFA status under that deal, not to mention giving a hometown discount as well. Its a steal if Hanley signs it. He is without a doubt the top offensive SS in baseball, and arguably one of the best players in the NL. And he is still a youngster.
I agree, and he is only going to get better. Is this signing a sign of things to come now that we finally have a stadium deal in place? Lorea said that once they had the stadium deal they would start going after FA's again and put a team in place that would compete for the division every year. This signing IMO would be that first step in that direction. Go Fish!!!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Does it matter? He'll be traded in 2 years anyway because the Marlines don't know how to run a team.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 08:38 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Does it matter? He'll be traded in 2 years anyway because the Marlines don't know how to run a team.
LOL. Funny but true :[.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Yeah, their just setting up so he can be more attractive.

They trade everyone and their brother away, but they've got pretty well the best scouts in all sports. It's crazy how much talent they've been able to find over the years. They're about due for another Championship pulled out of their rears, aren't they?

05-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
I don't think so. The Marlins usually trade someone before they have to give them a big contract. I think that philosophy changed with the new stadium deal. IMO, If they are signing Hanley for 6 years I believe he will be a Marlin for all six!

Old
05-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Rattrick

Don't even get me started on the Marlins new stadium. Stupid team can't get people to show up to their current stadium. The only way they deserver a new one is if it's in Vegas or San Antonio.

Old
05-10-2008, 09:13 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Don't even get me started on the Marlins new stadium. Stupid team can't get people to show up to their current stadium. The only way they deserver a new one is if it's in Vegas or San Antonio.
Its only the owner. We pay less than 1/10th of what the yankee's pay.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
I agree that attendence needs to be better. Part of it is because it rains in Florida and people aren't going to buy tickets to go to a game they don't know will be played if it rains. The other part is the teams stability of players. Players keep getting traded away so fans don't get into it because eventually their favorite player gets traded but with the new stadium deal, Lorea said that would change.

Old
05-10-2008, 10:24 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Dont know how to run a team? When you average 10,000 fans a game, there is no way you can have a $100 million dollar team. If anything, I think that management, not ownership, is one of the best in the league. Beinfest really knows what he is doing, and I have complete confidence in him running this team.

Id like to see this team kept together. I know some are coming up for arby soon, so I dont know how possible that will be. This season is just a glimpse to what we can really be. With the batters kept together, and with the additions/returns of Johnson, Sanchez, Volstad, Mitre to the pen, this team can be dangerous for a long time.

Old
05-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
I would guarantee you Ramirez remains a Marlin at least through the first season in the new stadium. Now who else among the current Marlins will be there along side him is a very open question. Almost the whole starting team will be eligible for Arbritration after this season and due for big raises. So do you pay Uggla big money with all the holes in his swing? It's either HR or K with him. Pay Willingham who looks like he has chronic back trouble that will bother him on and off during his career? Jacobs who also has trouble staying healthy. The Pitchers who are notoriously a poor long term investment for health reasons, not just for the Marlins but for any MLB team.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 10:56 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I like certainly like hearing this because this is not typically something the Fish management would have done often in the past and lock up their future superstars. As others have said, it also makes it more of a reason that he would be traded in a few years when he gets into his prime stage.

At the moment though, Samson, Loria, and Beinfeist are looking pretty smart with the lowest payroll by far in the majors and still in 1st place almost midway through May. I'm just hoping it continues, because forgetting the fact I'm a Marlins fan, I just think it's great for the game for a low market team to be doing better than many of the high market ones who's payrolls are many numbers beyond. They're getting absolutely no publicity for their record either around the league either. I guess people just expect them to falter at some point

FlaPnthrsPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Vokoun29

The stadium is going to be in a very low class area, those who have been around the OB know what im talking about,but well i dont know if people with money that drive a nice car wanna be there around too much, but oh well, the location is more attendable and local to most marlins fans, and people get early if the game is a sellout because you gonna have to look for parking in houses and you gotta shell out 25-30 if you dont find the ones at 15.

Vokoun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:21 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokoun29 View Post
The stadium is going to be in a very low class area, those who have been around the OB know what im talking about,but well i dont know if people with money that drive a nice car wanna be there around too much, but oh well, the location is more attendable and local to most marlins fans, and people get early if the game is a sellout because you gonna have to look for parking in houses and you gotta shell out 25-30 if you dont find the ones at 15.
Parkie no blockie five dollar.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:25 PM
sensfan31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, their just setting up so he can be more attractive.

They trade everyone and their brother away, but they've got pretty well the best scouts in all sports. It's crazy how much talent they've been able to find over the years. They're about due for another Championship pulled out of their rears, aren't they?
I don't think they drafted H-Ram - he was sent over from Boston in the Beckett deal.

sensfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:27 PM
sensfan31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I don't think so. The Marlins usually trade someone before they have to give them a big contract. I think that philosophy changed with the new stadium deal. IMO, If they are signing Hanley for 6 years I believe he will be a Marlin for all six!
maybe 5 1/2

sensfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan31 View Post
I don't think they drafted H-Ram - he was sent over from Boston in the Beckett deal.
Right, I'm just saying that they know how to spot talent, be it on another team or not.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 01:39 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Right, I'm just saying that they know how to spot talent, be it on another team or not.
Well the Hanley deal was easy. He was Boston's top notch prospect, and overall one of baseballs best. Its getting the "throw ins" that make our management such a success. Like Willis being an add on, or Sanchez being the throw in to the Hanley deal.

Old
05-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Well the Hanley deal was easy. He was Boston's top notch prospect, and overall one of baseballs best. Its getting the "throw ins" that make our management such a success. Like Willis being an add on, or Sanchez being the throw in to the Hanley deal.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. They trade away some top talent while it's still young, but last I checked, Willis wasn't playing too well. I wish they'd hold on to guys, too, but they certainly seem to know when to hold to guys and when to acquire others. 2 World Championships in 5 or 6 years after full-on roster changes? Not bad. makes you like a crap franchise, but they still won.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 06:22 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Carlos Delgado

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Rattrick

If you think about it, the Marlins are still a bought team. Their first championship was a bought team on the same level as the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. Then, they trade all of those bought players for young players who win another championship and the cycle continues. If you really think about it, the players they have today are still the result of the bought team that won the first one.

It's not too hard to spot top talent when you're drafting in the top 5 every 2 or 3 years or when you're trading your good young players for a player who already has a name for themselves as a top prospect (like Hanley Ramirez).

Old
05-10-2008, 06:49 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
It's not too hard to spot top talent when you're drafting in the top 5 every 2 or 3 years or when you're trading your good young players for a player who already has a name for themselves as a top prospect (like Hanley Ramirez).
You have no idea what you're talking about. Baseball is absolutely nothing like the other big sports. Having a top pick in baseball does not assure positive results. Just ask the pirates and padres (matt bush anyone??) Also the marlins Drafted Jeremy Hermida mid first, signed Miguel Cabrera as a free agent and they did draft Josh Beckett who they turned into Hanley Ramirez. The owner may be a total idiot but the scouting dept and front office are first rate.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 07:01 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. Baseball is absolutely nothing like the other big sports. Having a top pick in baseball does not assure positive results. Just ask the pirates and padres (matt bush anyone??) Also the marlins Drafted Jeremy Hermida mid first, signed Miguel Cabrera as a free agent and they did draft Josh Beckett who they turned into Hanley Ramirez. The owner may be a total idiot but the scouting dept and front office are first rate.
Beinfest is one of the top GMs in the majors, at least IMO. The only move I can really question is the Urbina acquisition that cost us Adrian Gonzalez, even though Urbina was vital to our WS title run. That whole management department is amazing.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Carlos Delgado
Again. The key phrase was "after the stadium deal". I believe Delgado was traded before that.