Notices

Thrashers Join The "Nonis Sweepstakes"

Old
05-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Thrashers Join The "Nonis Sweepstakes"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2373...s=secStory_nhl

Thoughts? I liked what Nonis was doing in Vancouver. I'm not too confident in his early round drafting (Grabner and White? Meh...), but he has done quite well in the later rounds. To give Nonis a break, Vancouver's scouting is absolutely BRUTAL. He only makes the necessary moves, and is NOT willing to ruin the future to keep his job (Tampa wanted the likes of Edler and Kesler for Richards, and Nonis turned him down). People go on and on about how he failed to bring in more scoring, but that was kinda hard to do considering how little cap space he had to work with. In Atlanta, he would have a lot of cap space.

I'd love to have Nonis in Atlanta.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Guy Legend

I think it would be a great move for the Thrashers if they can get him. Nonis is a guy I would have confidence in building a franchise long term. He engineered the Loungo trade and watched the team win the incredibly tough northwest division the year before. I think Vancouver was crazy to fire him so quickly (especially considering the replacement), but it could be to Atlanta's gain.

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend View Post
I think it would be a great move for the Thrashers if they can get him. Nonis is a guy I would have confidence in building a franchise long term. He engineered the Loungo trade and watched the team win the incredibly tough northwest division the year before. I think Vancouver was crazy to fire him so quickly (especially considering the replacement), but it could be to Atlanta's gain.

IMO, Nonis was lucky that Keenan had such a hard-on for Bertuzzi, otherwise the Luongo trade likely never happens. Other than that, Nonis hasn't done much at all in Vancouver. The year he took over everybody knew changes needed to be made, Burke even said so himself before being let go, but Nonis sat on his hands and did nothing. Even when the season was going down the crapper, when it was clear that the team needed a shake-up and that Crawford was being tuned out, he did nothing. Same exact thing happened this season when it was clear the team needed more offense. Nonis was content to continue waiting until the perfect opportunity arrived. Obviously that never occurred and he was fired.

I think Nonis has a good gameplan, he's just proven to be incompetent when the going gets tough. Two of the last three seasons were wasted because of Nonis' failure to get the job done.

That said, in a less pressure situation such as Atlanta, I think Nonis would gain the breathing room he needs to bring his plan to fruition. Finishing out of the playoffs when you're spending to the cap doesn't fly well in Vancouver, and it shouldn't.

As for Nonis' having no cap room, he put himself in that situation, nobody else.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Enstrom39

I'm not that impressed with Nonis body of work. His team missed the playoffs 2 out of 3 years--same as the Thrashers under Waddell.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Waddell to Nonis ... not quite a big enough upgrade, IMO.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Tristelune

I rather have Steve Tambellini...

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
As for Nonis' having no cap room, he put himself in that situation, nobody else.
Because, you know, everybody expected Naslund and Morrison to drop off that badly

Those were great signings at the time, coming off of the previous season. Unfortunately, both players started to suck right after getting those contracts.

Old
05-10-2008, 03:06 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i hope you guys sign Nonis, he is a good GM

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
IMO, Nonis was lucky that Keenan had such a hard-on for Bertuzzi, otherwise the Luongo trade likely never happens. Other than that, Nonis hasn't done much at all in Vancouver. The year he took over everybody knew changes needed to be made, Burke even said so himself before being let go, but Nonis sat on his hands and did nothing. Even when the season was going down the crapper, when it was clear that the team needed a shake-up and that Crawford was being tuned out, he did nothing. Same exact thing happened this season when it was clear the team needed more offense. Nonis was content to continue waiting until the perfect opportunity arrived. Obviously that never occurred and he was fired.

I think Nonis has a good gameplan, he's just proven to be incompetent when the going gets tough. Two of the last three seasons were wasted because of Nonis' failure to get the job done.

That said, in a less pressure situation such as Atlanta, I think Nonis would gain the breathing room he needs to bring his plan to fruition. Finishing out of the playoffs when you're spending to the cap doesn't fly well in Vancouver, and it shouldn't.

You can say that again. Nonis didn't engineer the Luongo trade, all he had to do was not be dumb enough to say no, which he wasn't.

I don't think Nonis is a bad GM, but you bring up some good points.

05-10-2008, 04:22 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Nonis would be pretty nice for the thrashers.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 04:29 PM
doobie604

if keenan had a better offer than bert, allan and auld he would of taken it. and if you look at stat wise, bert was a point a game player before he got injured. keenan made a bad trade by giving up luongo, but what was martin doing giving away bert for almost nothing? there are lots of bad moves by gms, but why not give credit to nonis for this trade? and when it comes to getting some scoring for the nucks, he didn't get anybody yes, but who could he have gotten that will make an impact and don't have to give up too much youth? it's easier said then done when it comes to trading your crap for good players. even keenan is smart enough to know that havlet and emery will turn out to be crap. nonis is a good gm, he knows the holes of the team and fill it when possible without messing up the future. if he wasn't fired, i believe he would of filled the scoring holes vancouver have this offseason. if he goes to atl, he will have alot to work with and he will have a plan to build a solid team.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Whaddagoal
Larsson Jailbreak.

No, thanks. What can Nonis show for what he brought the Canucks which would actually be an upgrade compared to Waddell?

Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 06:09 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Sounds like trading in Tweedle-Dum for Tweedle-Dee.

NO THANKS!

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Brownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post
No, thanks. What can Nonis show for what he brought the Canucks which would actually be an upgrade compared to Waddell?
He's not the best GM in the league by any means, but he did pull off one of the biggest steals in NHL history by getting Luongo and also stocked the Canucks farm system with some good prospects, whereas under Brian Burke it was awful.

Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Allen Degenerate
Rookie User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
He's not the best GM in the league by any means, but he did pull off one of the biggest steals in NHL history by getting Luongo and also stocked the Canucks farm system with some good prospects, whereas under Brian Burke it was awful.
You can look at that two ways. Yes, he restocked a dismal farm system, but his refusal to part with his prospects is one of the reasons he was fired. Not getting scoring help while the Luongo window closes was a major mistake.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam sinister View Post
Yes, he restocked a dismal farm system, but his refusal to part with his prospects is one of the reasons he was fired.
Waddell's refusal to give his prospects time to develop is one of the reasons that everyone wants him fired.

Old
05-11-2008, 03:53 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S. Bach View Post
Because, you know, everybody expected Naslund and Morrison to drop off that badly

Those were great signings at the time, coming off of the previous season. Unfortunately, both players started to suck right after getting those contracts.
Naslund's problem was the defensive system of the new coach. Who hired Alain Vigneault? Nonis.

Nonis isn't a mjor upgrade over Waddell.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safir View Post
Naslund's problem was the defensive system of the new coach. Who hired Alain Vigneault? Nonis.

Nonis isn't a mjor upgrade over Waddell.
Naslund was going into the crapper before AV got there. His 05-06 season was not very good despite putting up 79 points. His shot was better than now, but still not great and he was playing zero defence. That whole line was brutal and Naslund ended the year a -19, worst on the team. You can see him and Bertuzzi stand out that year stat wise, and with good reason. They ended the year by losing their powerplay time and status as the top line. That whole line just started falling apart after the lockout, something no one could have predicted.

His points may have gone down but at least under AV he stopped letting his man go for a odd man rush or breakaway.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:36 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

I don't think I'm interested in Nonis... we better replace Waddell with a guy that has had more success at some level than Nonis.

aka Pat Quinn or Kevin Cheveldayoff

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:39 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
I don't think I'm interested in Nonis... we better replace Waddell with a guy that has had more success at some level than Nonis.

aka Pat Quinn or Kevin Cheveldayoff
You want Cheveldayoff? Waddell had pretty good success in the minors too.

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S. Bach View Post
Waddell's refusal to give his prospects time to develop is one of the reasons that everyone wants him fired.
What? You're the only person I've ever heard say that and this is the first time you've mentioned it. Which way is the wind blowing up in Burnaby?

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:09 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
What? You're the only person I've ever heard say that and this is the first time you've mentioned it.
I have two words for you.

Brayden Coburn.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I think Nonis could be a solid fit in Atlanta, but he'll never be a great GM. His biggest weakness is that he struggles to preempt problems. His greatest strength is that he's a man of his word and fixes problems once identified. He is capable of building a cup winner IMO. But he needs a patient market.

05-12-2008, 07:02 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I think Nonis could be a solid fit in Atlanta, but he'll never be a great GM. His biggest weakness is that he struggles to preempt problems. His greatest strength is that he's a man of his word and fixes problems once identified. He is capable of building a cup winner IMO. But he needs a patient market.
Nonis would be a step up from Waddell, not that would be too difficult. Preempting problems...I should think that is every GMs most difficult problem, which is to say reading the tea leaves correctly. Lastly, we have had no choice but to be patient while maintaining enthusiasm but these days we also need some confidence in the owners and their executives.

kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:04 PM
TOML

With Ron Wilson going to Florida and a Nonis/Vigneault combo coming here, the SE division could turn into the new 'defensive' division in the league very soon. But it doesn't seem to fit, does it? Carolina, Washington and Tampa are all going the other way.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote