HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Toronto pomposity

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Oh it wasn't only directed to Leafs fans, it was more in general, it's why HF is so painful sometimes.
Oh god, no argument there. It's terrible.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
I understand all that, but as I said, there's nothing we can do about it. It's not something that can be rectified...it is what it is.
I agree... its an identifiable problem, but maybe not one we can rectify.....

Its just that when we look at guys who are on the NHL panels at these stations its obvious.... Dreger is a Leaf Fan... Healy is a Leaf guy... Kypreos, Watters, and Gord Stellick have all been Leaf Guys on the HockeyCentral panel at sportsnet over the years.... Tie Domi was hired by TSN, though he didn't last long.... Damien Cox, Al Strachen, and other Toronto based writers are fixtures on The Reporters, or The Spin.... Don Cherry openly admits to being a Leaf Fan... Unless the networks change the guys they put on the air, the problem will remain, and its not something the Leaf Fans can rectify, cause they like those guys and no one can blame a leaf fan for wanting to hear about their team....

And again as far as the networks are concerned, the studio is in Toronto, its easy to bring in a Toronto based guy to be a part of the show.... its cheap and it gets ratings... so can't blame them either.

I really don't know what you can do to fix the problem... but we both acknowledge that its there.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I agree... its an identifiable problem, but maybe not one we can rectify.....

Its just that when we look at guys who are on the NHL panels at these stations its obvious.... Dreger is a Leaf Fan... Healy is a Leaf guy... Kypreos, Watters, and Gord Stellick have all been Leaf Guys on the HockeyCentral panel at sportsnet over the years.... Tie Domi was hired by TSN, though he didn't last long.... Damien Cox, Al Strachen, and other Toronto based writers are fixtures on The Reporters, or The Spin.... Unless the networks change the guys they put on the air, the problem will remain, and its not something the Leaf Fans can rectify, cause they like those guys and no one can blame a leaf fan for wanting to hear about their team....

I really don't know what you can do to fix the problem... but we both acknowledge that its there.
Toronto is Canada's NYC. Easily the biggest city in the country and the center of the media/stock market/white collar economic base. Ontario has 1/3 of the population of Canada, and 1/6 of all Canadians live in the GTA.

About 5.6 million people reside in the GTA right now, I believe; 2.5 or so in Toronto proper. That's noticeably less than the 18.5 million in the NY metro area (8.3 million in New York proper), but let's compare the respective countries' populations: Canada is somewhere around 30-35 million, and America is around 300 million. Toronto makes up a much bigger percentage of Canada's population than New York does of ours. It's only natural that the media would be based in Toronto and would be Toronto-centric. Does that make it right? Not necessarily.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Toronto is Canada's NYC. Easily the biggest city in the country and the center of the media/stock market/white collar economic base. Ontario has 1/3 of the population of Canada, and 1/6 of all Canadians live in the GTA.

About 5.6 million people reside in the GTA right now, I believe; 2.5 or so in Toronto proper. That's noticeably less than the 18.5 million in the NY metro area (8.3 million in New York proper), but let's compare the respective countries' populations: Canada is somewhere around 30-35 million, and America is around 300 million. Toronto makes up a much bigger percentage of Canada's population than New York does of ours. It's only natural that the media would be based in Toronto and would be Toronto-centric. Does that make it right? Not necessarily.
Of course the Economic factors are well established.... but maybe TSN or Sportsnet should look at the fact that while Kypreos and Healy are articulate guys, perhaps the next guy they hire should be someone with more ties to one of the other Canadian NHL teams, and not be seen as a former Leaf.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Of course the Economic factors are well established.... but maybe TSN or Sportsnet should look at the fact that while Kypreos and Healy are articulate guys, perhaps the next guy they hire should be someone with more ties to one of the other Canadian NHL teams, and not be seen as a former Leaf.
No argument there, that's a very good suggestion.

**** Kypreos and Healy, everyone on the Leafs board absolutely despises them anyways, trust me.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:15 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

What I also hate is the fact that some posters on HF insult the city of the team they hate...like how can you hate Montreal?! HOW?!

Old
05-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
What I also hate is the fact that some posters on HF insult the city of the team they hate...like how can you hate Montreal?! HOW?!
Couldn't agree more.

Montreal is ****ing awesome, no matter what team you're a fan of. I get the wisecracks when I went there (only been once) that I expected, and for an American that is fully used to being able to be left alone despite his team affiliation in any sport that was a bit annoying, but by no means ruined the experience.

It's even more fun if you're single. But I'm not, and my gf isn't into threesomes. Damn it all.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:19 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

Montreal is ****ing awesome, no matter what team you're a fan of. I get the wisecracks when I went there (only been once) that I expected, and for an American that is fully used to being able to be left alone despite his team affiliation in any sport that was a bit annoying, but by no means ruined the experience.

It's even more fun if you're single. But I'm not, and my gf isn't into threesomes. Damn it all.
Summer in downtown Montreal is amazing. Especially the women...

Old
05-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Summer in downtown Montreal is amazing. Especially the women...
The city feels very "European" to me. Like a less snobby Paris.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Who's they? Toronto fans in general?

If you want to play the stereotype game, I can play too: Montreal fans are stupid rioters that hate Koivu because he doesn't speak French.

There, see? I can do it too. Doesn't make it fair either way, does it?
First its the media that hypes them, then the fans follow blindly.

And i'll have you know that smashing police cars over here is a sign of Spring, just like the sparrow thingie.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
First its the media that hypes them, then the fans follow blindly.

And i'll have you know that smashing police cars over here is a sign of Spring, just like the sparrow thingie.
You're doing the same thing again, lumping us all into one pile. NOT ALL TORONTO FANS ARE THE SAME! So it's fair for us to be referred to as one entity, but not Habs fans? How hypocritical is that? I said before that both fanbases have their morons.

It's complete bull-**** when Toronto fans stereotype you guys, and it's complete bull-**** when we receive it in return, too.

And it seems like you haven't grasped that I like the Habs, and that I would in no way actually make an accusatory blanket statement at the team or the fanbase in seriousness. I know you may not believe that a Toronto fan can support you guys, but it's true.

I'm not attacking you as a person, or your fellow fans...I'm attacking unfairness and hypocrisy.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
You're doing the same thing again, lumping us all into one pile. NOT ALL TORONTO FANS ARE THE SAME! So it's fair for us to be referred to as one entity, but not Habs fans? How hypocritical is that? I said before that both fanbases have their morons.

It's complete bull-**** when Toronto fans stereotype you guys, and it's complete bull-**** when we receive it in return, too.

And it seems like you haven't grasped that I like the Habs, and that I would in no way actually make an accusatory blanket statement at the team or the fanbase in seriousness. I know you may not believe that a Toronto fan can support you guys, but it's true.

I'm not attacking you as a person, or your fellow fans...I'm attacking unfairness and hypocrisy.
I agree,people who actually define someone's by his hockey allegieance(ex:Habs fan)are just plain ignorant.You and I are much more than being Habs fans.I personally hate it when someone's doing it,like the uneducated and ignorant self-righteous idiots on the Sens board.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 05-10-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old
05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Flyers say hi.
I've never heard so many fans, players or even the coach of a particular team use that "the whole world's against us" argument more then the 08 Flyers. The Leafs are the most hated team and even they don't do that. To tell you the truth, I pretty well forget the Flyers exist unless I see them on tv or someone mentions them. Like that game "Name all 50 States", someone asks me to name all 30 teams, I always get stuck with 29.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
People who actually define someone's by his hockey allegieance(ex:Habs fan)are just plain ignorant.You and I are much more than being Habs fans.I personally hate it when someone's doing it,like some idiots on the Sens board.
He wasn't making those generalizations himself... he was making a point that we wouldn't like it if they were made.... big difference.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Beakermania*

One other thing that made me hate the Leafs was that when they got in the playoffs during the Quinn era it seemed they were always whining.... Pat Quinn, Tie Domi, Darcy Tucker and other players on that team always seemed to be whining about something.... officiating was usually the key thing.... It drove me crazy.

Same with the 06 Canes; I never liked Brindamour or Laviolette arguing every call.... It drove me nuts.

Its one of the things I don't like about Carbo too.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
He wasn't making those generalizations himself... he was making a point that we wouldn't like it if they were made.... big difference.
I wasn't referring to him,I knew he wasn't making those generalizations himself and was making a point.

Old
05-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
The hate on your board and the Sens board when we were in the playoffs was pretty amusing to read. When we lost in the second round it was like both fan bases won a cup, I found it hilarious to an extent.
I personally was rooting for the Habs because I respect the team and the org. The only fans that were happy when you lost were the ones with a double digit IQ

Old
05-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
...The only fans that were happy when you lost were the ones with a double digit IQ
..huuuuuuuuuuuurr...

Old
05-11-2008, 12:58 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
We're more hated than you guys are. It's not close, either.

We're easily the most hated team in the NHL. That's not something I'm bragging about or happy about at all (it's quite annoying, actually) but it's the truth.

If you're not a Leafs fan in Canada, chances are you hate them with a passion. And you cannot say the same about Montreal.
I gotta agree that the leafs are really a hated team. I don't really understand why. Toronto is a decent city (well at least the subway is nice... ), the franchise has a good history, they have a large fan base and their jersey looks nice... I personally don't hate the leafs. But I hate their fans when they claim they're the best fans in the world and they're the hockey capital of the world. What kind of ******** is that???

Old
05-11-2008, 12:59 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
I personally was rooting for the Habs because I respect the team and the org. The only fans that were happy when you lost were the ones with a double digit IQ
wow. well said!

Old
05-11-2008, 09:19 AM
mcphee

Quote:
One other thing that made me hate the Leafs was that when they got in the playoffs during the Quinn era it seemed they were always whining.... Pat Quinn, Tie Domi, Darcy Tucker and other players on that team always seemed to be whining about something.... officiating was usually the key thing.... It drove me crazy.

Same with the 06 Canes; I never liked Brindamour or Laviolette arguing every call.... It drove me nuts.

Its one of the things I don't like about Carbo too.
To me, the Quinn Leafs, summed up would be video of Roberts/Tucker skating to the penalty box arguing, with HNIC cooing about great warriors. It all seemed so phony to me.

I can accept TSN being Toronto centric, it makes business sense, cater to the largest market, piss off the rest, either way, people are watching.

HNIC just out and out lost me, a few years back. I watch when there's no other choice.

Old
05-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Single digit IQ fan: ..huuuuuuuuuuuurr...

Old
05-11-2008, 09:29 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I gotta agree that the leafs are really a hated team. I don't really understand why. Toronto is a decent city (well at least the subway is nice... ), the franchise has a good history, they have a large fan base and their jersey looks nice... I personally don't hate the leafs. But I hate their fans when they claim they're the best fans in the world and they're the hockey capital of the world. What kind of ******** is that???
sorry fp, but you just gave me an image of cheering for a team because the home city has a nice subway. You gotta admit, that would make a funny on the street interview.

Old
05-11-2008, 02:27 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. When we're a playoff team, we blow you guys out of the water in terms of being hated.
So what you are saying is that you are rarely hated?

The Leafs are a money making machine. That in itself is remarkable given how crappy the actual machine is. I guess they figure everybody must want to take a crack at fixing the hunk of junk in what they consider a prime hockey market. But deep down inside I think they still believe a cup can be bought. They figure they just need someone who knows how to shop well.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-12-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old
05-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Chomsky

TU's SNES is saving this thread.

Closed Thread