HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ribs a cheap shot artist

Old
05-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
LOLLLLLLL Are you serious? People that are calling for a suspension are just bitter of Ribs sucess and are jumping on the occasion to bash him. Get a life boys. I actually laugh until I cried when I saw Osgood go down.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:29 PM
SilverLine

Here's another angle, Ribeiro did get a bit of a butt-end.

But it doesn't justify a reaction like that.

SilverLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:07 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLine View Post

Here's another angle, Ribeiro did get a bit of a butt-end.

But it doesn't justify a reaction like that.
Nobody should be saying that Ribeiro was justified to do what he did. On the other hand why is Osgood doing what he did? Moving his stick out on a passing player:

From TSN "Some of the Stars were complaining that Osgood butt-ended Stephane Robidas during the scramble around the Detroit net with two seconds left. Osgood said he stuck out an arm to try and ward off a hit against one of his teammates and didn't try to butt-end anybody."

Ward off a hit against one of his team-mates?

Stupid act by Ribs but hey. Who is Osgood kidding here?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It's on the player that is playing the most important position on the ice? That getting away with slashing a goaltender is setting a precedent that you won't be suspended for slashing a goalie straight in the chest?

Ribeiro simply has to be made an example of, whether or not he slashes hard, soft, or where he slashed the guy.
I don't see why Osgood shouldn't be made an example off either.
His move was actually way more dangerous than Ribeiro's.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
From TSN "Some of the Stars were complaining that Osgood butt-ended Stephane Robidas during the scramble around the Detroit net with two seconds left. Osgood said he stuck out an arm to try and ward off a hit against one of his teammates and didn't try to butt-end anybody."

Ward off a hit against one of his team-mates?

Stupid act by Ribs but hey. Who is Osgood kidding here?
Even if that's true, referees always say you're completely responsable for your stick, whether it is an accident or not.
And i think Osgood should watch the clip again, he doesn't really try to move his arm. He knows what he is doing.

Like you said, who's he kidding??

This might be a serie changing event though, we'll see.

Old
05-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Okay so both guys should be suspended 1 game.

Good enough? Let's move on....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Kriss E

Ron McClean on Coach's corner just said Ott,Ribs and Osgood are fined but not suspended

Old
05-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ron McClean on Coach's corner just said Ott,Ribs and Osgood are fined but not suspended
Thats a bit scary in terms of precedent. Although NHL and suspensions rarely make any sense one day to another.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Different rules for the playoffs again...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:46 PM
marc1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
Yeah, pretty much. I'm thinking anywhere between 1-3, but who knows since suspensions are a bit of a guessing game.

Pretty much what I though, I'm waiting for the poll for should he be suspended and for how long

There is a difference between a slight butt of the stick than a slash across the chest.
yes ! the equipment...

marc1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Meh...it's playoff hockey, that was ****-all.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geki View Post
I'm watching it over and over on HD DVR right now, and he was totally making eye contact with Osgood and swinging high, and Draper's arm interferes and knocks it low. So yeah, I believe that.

And I like how people think Ribeiro got hit in the face by Osgood. Are you effing kidding me?! IF he had been hit in the face he would have made Osgood's performance look like a high school production of cats.. hell he'd probably still be in the ice kicking his fairy legs.
I think I saw you on tv. I think it was on CSI or was it on Criminal Minds? I wish I had a good memory, mind eye is very good though.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:59 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Personally I don't think it was a big deal and that Ribs reacted as one might if one was hit with a knob in what could be construed as a cheapshot by osgood (whether it WAS intentional or not). Osgood def embellished (i don;t think ANYONE can dispute that). So again, I don't blame Ribs since it was not much more that a petty post whistle reaction (happens almost every whistle, just not to a goalie).

Having said that...wrt to your quote...you'll be joining us in two games so don't get so cocky.
It wasn't even in the NHL game highlights on their official site , no mention in the general board , i hardly found a video of it , and until now , there are no suspensions for either Osgood or Ribeiro . But in the Habs board , we are going to read that Ribeiro tried to kill a player for at least the next 10 years

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:23 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Different rules for the playoffs again...
Agreed.

No wonder we couldn't succeed this year, apparently you have a open chance to do anything to anyone in the playoffs and get away with it scott-free.

The league is an absolute joke, you can suspend someone in the regular season for an act and then not suspend anyone in the post-season or lessen the sentence. There is no consistency what so ever in the NHL, its a freaking joke.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
It wasn't even in the NHL game highlights on their official site , no mention in the general board , i hardly found a video of it , and until now , there are no suspensions for either Osgood or Ribeiro . But in the Habs board , we are going to read that Ribeiro tried to kill a player for at least the next 10 years
Try looking for the Stanley Cup board, there's an topic with 577 posts that's whining about the same thing...

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay so both guys should be suspended 1 game.

Good enough? Let's move on....
But.. but.. Ribeiro likes rap and he's french...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
What a cop out! If you're going to sanction a move like that, don't go halfway. Either suspend all the players involved or don't.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:53 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Who ********** cares if Osgood embellished or it was just a light tap. The guy took his stick with two hands to hit a guy. He's just nuts. If you can't control yourself and be the bigger man, you should get suspended. As if a pitcher throwing you the ball on the back deserves a bat in the ribs.
Bad analogy. The pitcher has no protection like the goalie does but if the pitcher intentionally threw at the batter it only stands to reason he gets nailed when he goes to bat or failing that, the next batter for the opposing team gets dinged.

I'm not defending Ribs but he did slash him across the chest where he knew he wouldn't cause damage.. If he nailed his melon then I'd agree he's got a loose screw but he let him know he didn't like getting butt ended and that's where it ends if Osgood doesn't dive like a fairy.

One poster suggested that Tippet and Hull both came down on him but they are looking at it purely as " what does this mean to the team" and not whether it was right or not. Fortunately nothing came of it and we can watch the game that may just have gone up a notch in intensity.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:59 AM
BadHabit

Stop calling him Ribs!!

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:30 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Exactly what I suggested yesterday

The right move in my opinion. Osgood helped start this and nailing Ribeiro alone made no sense. Making them each open their wallets for mutually stupid acts is the right choice.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote