HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC Hotstove

Old
05-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Covenant

vCash: 500
The're doing a thorough search and not leaving a stone unturned. Brian Burke will find his way to Toronto sooner than you think. The Ducks would be crazy to keep him without an extention signed and will soon see their folly and let him move on for stability reasons. Right now the Leafs are starting to build their organization by adding good young talent, like Nonis to compliment Burke. Nonis made the trade of the centery in aquiring Luongo. He was on the verge of building a strong team when he got canned. After all it took Mr. Gainey awhile and some playoff misses to bring the Canadiens along.

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:05 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
The're doing a thorough search and not leaving a stone unturned. Brian Burke will find his way to Toronto sooner than you think. The Ducks would be crazy to keep him without an extention signed and will soon see their folly and let him move on for stability reasons. Right now the Leafs are starting to build their organization by adding good young talent, like Nonis to compliment Burke. Nonis made the trade of the centery in aquiring Luongo. He was on the verge of building a strong team when he got canned. After all it took Mr. Gainey awhile and some playoff misses to bring the Canadiens along.
One playoff miss by one point.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:08 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergo View Post
Scott Morrison said that the leafs contacted the canadiens to check for Gaineys availability to take over their vacant GM position.

My question is why do the leafs think every Gm in the league is willing to leave their job to go work for them. To recap they already asked DEtroit, San jose, montreal, New jersey, and Minnesota
Despite 40 years of failure they still consider Toronto to be the center of the hockey universe. It makes for an unusual form of arrogance

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:42 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlandry77 View Post
General Mangers with Stanely Cups
Brian Burke, Anaheim
Lou Lamoriello, New Jersey
Ken Holland, Detroit
Bob Gainey, Montreal
Jim Rutherford, Carolina
Glen Sather, New York Rangers
Cliff Fletcher, Toronto
1 in 1967 or earlier

Jay Feaster, Tampa Bay

Hockey news voted Bob Gainey 4th out of 30 GM's in the league not bad I say. So 7 GM's have cups in the last 25 years out of 30, sorry Cliff can't be included on this one. We all know how bad Tampa messed up there sweet situtaion.

Bob is awesome get over it.
Hockey News is such a credible source

Gainey is among the 15 best. That's all I can say.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Despite 40 years of failure they still consider Toronto to be the center of the hockey universe. It makes for an unusual form of arrogance
Absolutely right! The only other market that thinks it is SO important is Ottawa and we all know how arrogant they are...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles View Post
Nope. I guess I'm a little hesitant on calling any GM good.

Guys I think are good are:
Holland
Wilson
Lamoriello
Risebrough
Poile
Sutter
Regier
Giguere
Your vision is as confusing as MLSE's... "I'm a little hesitant on calling any GM good"... followed up by a list of 25% of GMs in the league.. lol.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:52 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Also what makes you think talking to everyone isn't a good idea?

And no one GM has turned the Leafs down yet, the teams they're until contract have.

BTW, Gainey is a poor GM. He has time, give any GM in the league the time Gainey had and you'd see results.
Who let the 12 year old on the computer...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:28 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Leafs should do what the Islanders have done...

Hire their Backup Goalie as their new GM.
Look at it this way, Garth Snow has done more for NYI in the last few years, including MAKING the PLAYOFFS, then a Leafs GM has done in the past 3 years

I would understand, if a people that support a team like Detroit say Gainey is a poor GM, hell Detroit is a fantastic team, drafting, scouting, trading wise. But this is coming from a Leafs fan..... A LEAFS FAN!?!?!? A team that hasn't won the Cup in 41 years... this just baffles me.

Gainey and Fergusson both hired in 2003, a few months apart, both in demanding Canadian markets, where the Media has a lot of influence, both cities that want to win NOW. Do not tell me "Toronto has more media pressure" because that is just BS. Hell, because of our Media, our Captain had to speak french in the oppening when introducing his team.
Here is the problem. JFJ tried the "Winning Now" method, trading away most of his prospects to get established players in the NHL. Guess what, Toronto hasn't made the playoffs in the last 3 years. They traded their top prospect in Tuuka Rask to get... Raycroft.
Gainey on the other hand decided to ignore the media and fan pressure (something Houle failed miserably to do),giving the young guys time to develop. People started criticizing Kostitsyn draft, were demanding Kovalev to be traded, drafting Price 5th overall, the list is long. But Gainey stuck to his plan, even during Montreal's hard times. And finally, in the 07-08 season, his plan started coming together. Montreal not only made the playoffs, they ended the season #1 in the East. A young, inexperienced team, who is now expected to get better as the years go by. And who still have a prospect pool full of potential.

JFJ and Gainey both had the same amount of time, but both went their own separate ways. 1 has succeeded (take a guess who), and the other has no job.

And you my friend, has the audacity to come to our boards and insult our GM? claiming he had all the time in the world to make this thing happen, while urs had the same amount of time and failed? You disgust me....

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
I'm left wondering if Gainey would have done things differrent or sooner had he not lost his daughter at sea like he did. I for one admire his work and admire the man also.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:49 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Absolutely right! The only other market that thinks it is SO important is Ottawa and we all know how arrogant they are...
that hurt me on the inside

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Right now the Leafs are starting to build their organization by adding good young talent, like Nonis to compliment Burke. Nonis made the trade of the centery in aquiring Luongo. He was on the verge of building a strong team when he got canned.
See, I don't know how that can be believed about Nonis. Why would he take an assistant job or whatever the plan is to do something he's already done? He's now been a GM, and a good one too, and was only fired because of new ownership not being patient. Why would he take a step back in his career? He's a pretty bright and proud guy too, it just seems out of character for him to do that, I think he'd only take a job where he could be the sole GM, not do a repeat of what he did 4-5 years ago. I could be wrong, but I just don't see that luring in Burke scenario happening for him. If the Leafs were smart, and they can't get Burke (if that's really what they want), hiring Nonis to run the show would be a great move, he doesn't need to be someones assistant to be a great asset.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post

We can also look at the team that won against the Habs in the playoffs and what they did:
- Lightning (won the cup);
- Hurricanes (went in final if I remember well).
2003-2004 Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup...
2005-2006 Carolina Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup...
2007-2008 Philadelphia Flyers ....??????

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Well I feel Rivet is still a bit better than Gorges right now. Also Rivet brought toughness that we seemed to be lacking this playoffs. Also at the time Rivet was traded, nobody expected Gorges to play as well as he has either. Gorges was basically a throw in.

Another issue I have with that move is that trading a vet like Rivet sends the wrong message to players across the league. He played so long with the Habs but was shown a lack of respect by Bob I feel. I wonder if this is at least one of the reasons we have problems signing superstar UFAs here? I'm not saying it's the only factor, but I feel it plays a part.
If you think that the Rivet trade was a bad one for the Habs, then there's just no way you follow the sport closely. MaxPac alone was a steal for Rivet but then you throw in a 23 year old Dman like Gorges who really blossomed this past season....this shouldn't even be up for debate. It's probably BG's best trade.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Yeah, just like you guys were going to completely reload the team at the deadline this year. Remember all the talk that Sundin would get a greater return than Philly got for Forsberg? Stupid decisions by stupid GM's throughout decades keep haunting the team. No matter who you get as GM, at the end of the day, the team will still be run by MLSE and their mandate is to maximize revenues for ONtario Teachers Pension fund.

Habs have a better past, better present, and better future than the Leafs.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:29 PM
dlandry77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

7 GM's only have a cup in the new NHL and you rank him 15, ok

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
BTW, Gainey is a poor GM. He has time, give any GM in the league the time Gainey had and you'd see results.
Yeah, he's got nothing on Doug MacLean, Mike Milbury or the powerhouse of patience that is the Florida Panthers organization. Those guys put Gainey in perspective.

Bullsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:09 PM
ed ible*

I think we should be greatful we have Mr. Bob Gainey as our GM.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Here's a question...."Does the Passion that Unites us all" phrase still work when your team is in last place for the next 3 years?

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:42 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

The irony is that the guy making the calls - Peddie - is the same guy who blocked Dryden from hiring Gainey in the first place.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
The irony is that the guy making the calls - Peddie - is the same guy who blocked Dryden from hiring Gainey in the first place.
I honestly think Peddie doesn't know the first thing about hockey. Probably why they had to bring in this Gord Kirke character.

I'm so glad we don't have a guy like Richard Peddie making decisions.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:58 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I honestly think Peddie doesn't know the first thing about hockey. Probably why they had to bring in this Gord Kirke character.

I'm so glad we don't have a guy like Richard Peddie making decisions.
The problem is... he thinks he knows best. Dangerous.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Um.. Last year he would not be anywhere near a wanted GM. He gave up guys like Beauchemin, Hainsey, and Rebeiro for nothing. He had bums like Kovalev, Niinimaa, and Samsonov on the roster. His prospects hadn't done much yet, AK was considered a bust. His team didn't make the playoffs..

I didn't put Gainey down intentionally, the Habs organization should be praised for sticking with him in the long run. He had five years , no interference and several mistakes in building this team. They're are just better guys.
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Yeah, Ribeiro...the guy that absolutely no team in the NHL wanted to give anything for...and most every hockey observer outside of some fans in Montreal, thought he was next to worthless...due to his poor attitude and horrible reputation as a team cancer. Nice try at hindsight armchair GM'ing. This alone shows that you're talking out of your derierre.

Ditto for Hainsey. As far as Beachemen goes...do you even have an iota of a clue as the the story behind that? Didn't read the entire thread...so someone may have already spoonfed it to you carefully (to ensure none spilled on your bib).

Horrible attempt to slam an organization which has been completely turned around by Gainey in every respect. Including just that, making it a respectful org. after it had been run like a sideshow by the inept(see cheap) previous ownership and it's puppets (sound familiar?).

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Here's a question...."Does the Passion that Unites us all" phrase still work when your team is in last place for the next 3 years?

This team has not done anything in the last 40 years so I would think so..

Where did you see Toronto finishing last for the next few years? How can you predict that? Certainly as a Habs fan like yourself who like most of their fans have been saying "We were predicted to be last by almost all of the media in September" Anything can happen..

I don't blame you guys at all for being so high on your Habs and so down against the Leafs, being it is only the second time in 10 years Montreal was better than them.

albathegreat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

Besides the fact Timmins is making Gainey look like a great GM, what exactly has BG done to rank him this high?

His trades haven't yet proven to be brilliant {sorry Josh lovers, I'd rather have Rivet at this point} , Niinima for Ribs was... pathetic... and the Huet deal came back to haunt him somewhat.

He let Souray walk, instead of trading him when he had the chance and hasn't addressed many team needs since he landed here.

I mean..really... Timmins has built this club.. and made BG look very good in the process. Yeah sure, you have to hire the best scouts as a GM.. thats the key.. but BG has not proven to be a top 10 GM.

I'm not blaming him for that, the cap is a different game. I'm not trying to bash the man, he's done a good job as have the people around him.

The BG nuthuggers refuse to see the man for any of his flaws.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:48 PM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
How about this new post-Fergie Jr Leafs regime?? Gotta love how they're playing Clemmenson between the pipes instead of their so-called goalie of the future, Justin Pogge. Rot on that bench Pogge! Nice long-term vision Leafs!!

Habs have a better past, better present, and better future than the Leafs.
Yet I can never understand how you guys are so fixated about the Leafs, at this moment there is four threads about Toronto on this boards first page.

Would you be one of the guys at Bell Center that would chant Leafs sucks rather than Go Habs Go?

albathegreat* is offline   Reply With Quote