HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question: Rangers - Flyers rivalry

Old
05-11-2008, 09:53 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Question: Rangers - Flyers rivalry

First time to the Rangers' board, and I come with a question.

How does Philadelphia fit in your perspective of Rangers' rivals? Are the Flyers prime-time rivals of the Rangers, or is the rivalry nowhere near the same as with the Devils or Islanders?

Edit: Thanks for your answers, and there's another question at Post #24.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 05-13-2008 at 09:52 PM.
MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:59 PM
hlundqvist30*

In 2005-2006 the Rangers-Flyers rivalry was pretty intense, but in general it comes in 3rd place.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
First time to the Rangers' board, and I come with a question.

How does Philadelphia fit in your perspective of Rangers' rivals? Are the Flyers prime-time rivals of the Rangers, or is the rivalry nowhere near the same as with the Devils or Islanders?
Personally I rank em 2nd behind the Devils.

I dont consider the Isles a real rival...why? Because when they beat us, i know its not going to matter to their bottom line, and when we beat them...we should.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:10 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

1) Isles
2) Devils
3) Flyers

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I have a hard time ranking the Isles as our top rivals because they always suck... Which for me = less competitiveness...

1) Devils
2) Flyers
3) Isles

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:18 PM
JayMan82

One reason I don't mind the Flyers is that the ones I play hockey with/run into generally have hockey knowledge... On the other end, they have Briere....

1) Devils
2) Isles
3) Philthy

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:20 PM
John Flyers Fan

Coming from a Flyers fan perspective, at one time the Rangers were our biggest rival, but that's no longer the case.

Playoff meetings: 74, 79, 80, 82, 83, 85, 86, 87, 95 and 97. ** bolded are Flyers wins ... also both teams won playoff series, it wasn't one team dominance.

Met 7 out of 9 years in the playoffs, when it was a blood feud. every game at the Spectrum there would be 8-10 fights in the stands between fans.

Only 2 playoff meeting in the last 20 years and none in the last 10 ... dampens the rivalry

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I'd say

Devils
Philly
Isles

Isles are less of a rival right now because there team isn't as strong as years past, Devils will always be number one.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Celestial Black

Devils/Isles switch between every so often then Philly.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Jackson Ranger

I'd have to agree with what John Flyers Fan wrote and say the animosity between the two clubs has lessened from it's heyday back in the 70's and 80's. Let's face it Clarke, Barber and Linesman were guys I wanted to see taken out on the ice. Do we really feel that way with Richards or Briere now? I know I don't.

Anyway, I think the Devils are the first rival. For me, as long as Brodeur has a sweater, I will always dislike the Devils.

As for the other two teams, flip a coin. I will add don't forget the Cindy Crosby's! I think there will be a lot of ill will between the Rangers and Pens before he leaves that team.

Outside of the division, I'd say the Caps and Canadians are close to being rivals.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:25 AM
clmetsfan

The Rangers-Flyers rivalry is still intense enough that I can't bring myself to root for them against the Penguins. Watching that series is like watching a fight between the biggest d-bag in the school and the biggest thug in the school. You don't care who wins, you just want to see them both bloodied.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:36 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
The Rangers-Flyers rivalry is still intense enough that I can't bring myself to root for them against the Penguins. Watching that series is like watching a fight between the biggest d-bag in the school and the biggest thug in the school. You don't care who wins, you just want to see them both bloodied.

I agree.

I still hate the Flyers. Always will. Bobby Clarke is still comfortably positioned #1 in my hate column. Claude Lemieux took a run at the #1 slot in the 90's but Bobby held onto the spot. Nystrom was another guy that makes me wanna vomit when I hear his name. Even now when I saw his kid was playing for the Flames it annoyed me, because I had to hear that name again. I can still see him trying to head butt George Mcphee at the end of a fight because he was mad McPhee beat him.

The rivalry with the Flyers isn't as nasty as it use to be but I just can't purge all the past hatred from my memory. Also, anyone who is sporting a Flyer playoff avatar should go lie in a bathtub in the fetal position and let the water hit you and clean that dirty feeling you should have off. The thing that is kinda killing the Ranger/Flyer rivalry is the fact that Colton Orr has used the Flyer toughguys as his own personal speed bag the past two years.

Last edited by TomLaidlaw: 05-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.
TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I agree.

I still hate the Flyers. Always will. Bobby Clarke is still comfortably positioned #1 in my hate column. Claude Lemieux took a run at the #1 slot in the 90's but Bobby held onto the spot. Nystrom was another guy that makes me wanna vomit when I hear his name. Even now when I saw his kid was playing for the Flames it annoyed me, because I had to hear that name again. I can still see him trying to head butt George Mcphee at the end of a fight because he was made McPhee beat him.

The rivalry with the Flyers isn't as nasty as it use to be but I just can't purge all the past hatred from my memory. Also, anyone who is sporting a Flyer playoff avatar should go lie in a bathtub in the fetal position and let the water hit you and clean that dirty feeling you should have off. The thing that is kinda killing the Ranger/Flyer rivalry is the fact that Colton Orr has used the Flyer toughguys as his own personal speed bag the past two years.
I jumped on the Flyers bandwagon, not looking to see them win the Cup, but to knock the crap out of the Pens. You mention Bobby Clarke and Nystrom and I agree, I hated them as well but that was 20-30 years ago. I'm over that animosity I felt for those guys. Plus having Orr knock out Fedoruk and Dan Cloutier making Salo look like a little girl helped me get over those guys. Trust me, I won't forget them or certain incidents like Arbour sending out the goon squad at the Garden but it's not like the Rangers haven't had some sort of redemption since then.

Right now, I want Crosby, Malkin and the rest of the Penguins to feel some pain because the pain of losing to them is greater than a Bobby Clarke slash back in the 70's. So, why not root for the Flyers to knock their brains in?! The Rangers certainly had their chance and didn't do it.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:07 PM
HenriksBetter

I grew up and live in NJ so the Devils are tops on my list as the biggest rival. The Flyers would have to be second and then the Islanders.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Fataldogg

In 05-06 and the year of Forsberg and Gagne, where every game was pretty much for first place, it was far and away our biggest rivalry. I went to the game against the Flyers where the Rangers clinched the Playoffs and "We Want The Cup" chants erupted from the arena. Weekes was in net and played a heck of a game if I remember correctly.

In general I'd say its the Devils. Let's face it, during the 1990's and even into the 2000's the Devils / Red Wings have been the teams to beat in the NHL. The Devils are a much more competitive team than the Islanders. The Islander games are a ton of fun but I can't get into them as much as the Devils. Plus I hate / love Martin Brodeur and love to boo him at games. Plus I love to see the Rangers light him up. Love the Avery / Brodeur feud.

The Islander / Ranger rivalry hasn't been that great in years. During the Fleury / Sandy McCarthy era we had some real wild ones against the Isles. Since than the feud has really dulled down though.

1) Devils
2) Islanders
3) Flyers (very close behind the Islanders)

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:16 PM
In The Flesh

Debbies
Piles
Philthy/Cindys

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 07:25 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
For me the Devils is definatly #1. Nothing gave me more pleasure than beating them in the playoffs this year...

And walking out of the Rock after that game 5 victory was the greatest experience ever

05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
True Blue

The Isles will always be number one to me. I want to say that the Devils are next, but there are times that I rank the Flyers right next to them. From Shultz to Dave Brown to Lindros to the current incarnation.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:01 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

The Islanders have always been and always will be number one. Just be in The Garden and feel the intensity. Nothing else close. The Flyers and Devils are about equal in my eyes. Funny -- I think fans of every team in our division see the Rangers as being their biggest rival. Certainly true in Pittsburgh and they never even come up in conversations here. Just something about New York City, I guess.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The Islanders have always been and always will be number one. Just be in The Garden and feel the intensity. Nothing else close. The Flyers and Devils are about equal in my eyes. Funny -- I think fans of every team in our division see the Rangers as being their biggest rival. Certainly true in Pittsburgh and they never even come up in conversations here. Just something about New York City, I guess.
Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh mean ANYTHING to you?

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:57 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh mean ANYTHING to you?
Yes it does but I've been in Pittsburgh enough through the years for games against the Rangers and Flyers and have enough friends there to comfortably say that the Rangers are seen as a greater rival.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:24 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Here's how I rank our rivals:
Islanders
Devils
Flyers

That being siad, I think they're all pretty close...

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:28 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
Here's how I rank our rivals:
Islanders
Devils
Flyers

That being siad, I think they're all pretty close...
Well said!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:51 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Thanks for giving your answers. I'll just add this extra question. Assuming with expansion that the League goes to 8 Divisions of 4 teams each, and the Decision would be made to push Boston out of the Northeast and into the Atlantic, thus making for a Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus/Carolina Division... would that piss most of you off?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:01 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Thanks for giving your answers. I'll just add this extra question. Assuming with expansion that the League goes to 8 Divisions of 4 teams each, and the Decision would be made to push Boston out of the Northeast and into the Atlantic, thus making for a Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus/Carolina Division... would that piss most of you off?
I would be shocked if that's what the division ended up.

I think a much more likely scenario would be

Flyers, 3 New York teams, Caps, Carolina, Florida and Tampa.

Habs, Leafs, Sens, Bruins, Pens, Sabres, BJ's and Red Wings

Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Atlanta, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado, Expansion

Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, San Jose, LA, ANH, Phoenix, Expansion

*** Assuming the expansion teams are somewhere in the West, which is very likely.

This way the Bruins and Habs stay together. Penguins have been moved into the Northeast before, and actually are much closer to them geographically. Detroit gets moved to the east as promised.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote