HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canuck 'at the deadline' proposals (BUF, NYR, etc..)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Canuck 'at the deadline' proposals (BUF, NYR, etc..)

Few deals I've been mulling over, over the last couple months. With Magnus Arvedson now out for the rest of the Canucks' season & playoffs, Burke's hand may be forced. So here's some deals I thought I'd throw out there, see what you guys think:

To Buffalo Sabres : Jason King & 5th Round Draft Pick in 2004

To Vancouver Canucks : Curtis Brown & Rory Fitzpatrick

(Not sure how Sabres fans will feel about this. The Canucks are looking to try to add to their roster without subtracting from it, so I think Burke will try to hang on to all of his roster players. If Sabres fans think their needs for the future lie in other areas, perhaps a different group of prospects/picks could be used here)

To New York Rangers : Kirril Koltsov & a conditional draft pick (1st rounder if Kovalev is resigned, 3rd rounder if not)

To Vancouver Canucks : Alexei Kovalev

(NYR may not be making the playoffs, and Kovalev is going to be a UFA and ought to be deemed expendable to pick up a few extra assets. Koltsov is a young offensive defensemen with tremendous skill, but is a bit of a project, and may take another year or two. He should fit in pretty well with fellow Russian Tjutin. Kovalev clearly fits well on the 2nd line right wing.)

To Florida Panthers : Canucks 1st round pick in 2004

To Vancouver Canucks : Viktor Kozlov

(Panthers lose Kozlov, whom is one of their few veteran scorers, but with Horton, Stewart, and got knows what else coming up through the system on the wings, Kozlov might be expendable. He was on the block last year around this time, and I suspect Dudley would move him for a 1st round pick. Kozlov would be alright on the Sedin's wing.)

To Phoenix Coyotes : Jason King

To Vancouver Canucks : Mike Sillinger

(Silly might be expendable with Comrie there now, and while I'm not sure on his contract status, I expect he is deemed expendable on the Panthers, considering they have Gratton, Kolanos, and Taffe all trying to fit in the bottom 6, nevermind Sillinger. Silly has been to Vancouver before, and it was no secret that Burke tried to get him before when he was in Columbus. Here might be a good place to pick him up.)

To Chicago Blackhawks : 4th round pick in 2004

To Vancouver Canucks : Steve Poabst

(Poabst is getting pretty old and is going to be a UFA at the end of the year I'm pretty sure. Might call it a career after this year. Pretty simple pickup, Poabst would be a nice #7 defenseman for the Canucks to go into the playoffs with. Poabst does have experience in playing 18+ minutes too, so he's a pretty darn good #7 guy.)

Old
02-11-2004, 07:31 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
(Poabst is getting pretty old and is going to be a UFA at the end of the year I'm pretty sure. Might call it a career after this year. Pretty simple pickup, Poabst would be a nice #7 defenseman for the Canucks to go into the playoffs with. Poabst does have experience in playing 18+ minutes too, so he's a pretty darn good #7 guy.)
it's Poapst

Of those proposal's you made, the one that I really like is Koltsov for Kovalev. John Davidson has said time and time again that the Rangers are dangling Kovalev. Perhaps they will change their ways and trade a superstar for a prospect?

Old
02-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Perez

The first trade seems ok value wise and I don't see why Buf wouldn't go with it.

The second one seems kinda overpaying from the nucks pov. Kovalev whas traded for less ( if you considere Fata was a project) from the pens trade... + I don't know if the rags want to trade him but if they do that would be enought to make him moove imo..

For the third trade I think that Kozlov as more value then that. Imo he's even got more value then Kovalev considering that Kov's a ufa at the end of the season and Kozlov isn't.. I don't think that the Panthers would do this trade, anyways that draft pick would be in the late first round so it wouldn't have much value...

5th and 6th seem reasonable but so boring for a trade proposal.

overall it seems nucks are overpaying but getting key players in return and making them strong contenders ( not that they aren't now)..

Old
02-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
it's Poapst

Of those proposal's you made, the one that I really like is Koltsov for Kovalev. John Davidson has said time and time again that the Rangers are dangling Kovalev. Perhaps they will change their ways and trade a superstar for a prospect?
Kovalev is signed by Burke.

Kovalev comes to the locker room for his first game with the Canucks, on his finger is the '94 Cup ring.

Trevor sees this.

What the hell do you expect Trevor to feel ?

(okay that's a little far fetched but ...)

NO TO ANY PLAYERS FROM THE '94 RAGS !

Old
02-11-2004, 07:42 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

teh sabres are very thin defensively, which would make that deal tough
plus, F prospects are about the last thing the sabres are looking for

the more i look over the two teams and the more proposals and trade discussions i read through, i become more and more convinced that vancouver and buffalo will not make good trading partners this year

Old
02-11-2004, 07:52 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman

Kovalev comes to the locker room for his first game with the Canucks, on his finger is the '94 Cup ring.

Trevor sees this.

I'm sure Linden would be thrilled knowing a guy like Kovalev could put his team over the top.

Old
02-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
I'm sure Linden would be thrilled knowing a guy like Kovalev could put his team over the top.
Exactly...Linden is a consumate professional. He wouldn't be petty in a situation like that.

~Canucklehead~

02-11-2004, 08:25 PM
The Pucks

Quote:

Trevor sees this.

Its called motivation.

Old
02-11-2004, 08:31 PM
ArtG

Quote:

Trevor sees this.

uhh.. what about when Mark Messier came?

Old
02-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
uhh.. what about when Mark Messier came?
Yes and when he led Vancouver to ....

its amazing cellar dwelling status ?

Old
02-11-2004, 08:55 PM
ArtG

I think you're missing the point...

Old
02-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
I think you're missing the point...
No I'm not.

Kovalev is not the solution here, guys common.

There's other options other than Kovalev.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:25 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Can the 'Nucks deal for O'Neill do you think? Can you imagine him on the line with the Sedins? If the Canucks got someone on that line that would just head straight to the net and stick their head in there, that would be an awesome 2nd line. Talk about downfall of Jason King. First Vancouver's savior, now can't wait to get him out of there.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Can the 'Nucks deal for O'Neill do you think? Can you imagine him on the line with the Sedins? If the Canucks got someone on that line that would just head straight to the net and stick their head in there, that would be an awesome 2nd line. Talk about downfall of Jason King. First Vancouver's savior, now can't wait to get him out of there.
The Sedins could make my Grandma look like a hockey star. No offense to my Grandmother. :p

Jeff O'Neill would be a beauty in Van, how much would he cost is the question.

~Canucklehead~

Old
02-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
teh sabres are very thin defensively\
yet playing admirably. I'd do thatdeal if Mckee came back.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

For the past three years I have gotten my hopes up for the Nucks at the deadline. For the past three years, my friends and I have bantied around a variety of names that would be perfect for the Canucks in the month before the deadline. For the past three years, I have been left bitterly disappointed the day after the deadline.

Is this year going to be any different? Probably not. Almost every player mentioned on this board would cause a bidding-war if exposed to the market. And as we all know, Burke doesn't get into bidding wars. If Burke does make a deal, it will be one that 'makes sense for this team'. Translation: a third liner with second line potential.

I have decided to stop getting my hopes up for the deadline. That being said, O'Neill would look perfect on the second line..........

Old
02-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Patty Roy

I think that the first deal definitely favors the Nucks. I've always appreciated Brown's solid 2-way game. King i'm not at all sold on. I would pass if i was Buffalo.

The 2nd deal is pretty decent return for a soon to be UFA. If the Rags arn't going to miss the playoffs, it would be in their best interest to try and grab some futures for a guy like Kovalev.

The 3rd deal is a toss-up. The value is there, but i'm not sure if Florida would deal Kolzov for something that won't pay off for quite awhile. I'm guessing that they would want something a little more NHL ready.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:42 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Few deals I've been mulling over, over the last couple months. With Magnus Arvedson now out for the rest of the Canucks' season & playoffs, Burke's hand may be forced. So here's some deals I thought I'd throw out there, see what you guys think:

(Not sure how Sabres fans will feel about this. The Canucks are looking to try to add to their roster without subtracting from it, so I think Burke will try to hang on to all of his roster players. If Sabres fans think their needs for the future lie in other areas, perhaps a different group of prospects/picks could be used here)

To New York Rangers : Kirril Koltsov & a conditional draft pick (1st rounder if Kovalev is resigned, 3rd rounder if not)

To Vancouver Canucks : Alexei Kovalev

(NYR may not be making the playoffs, and Kovalev is going to be a UFA and ought to be deemed expendable to pick up a few extra assets. Koltsov is a young offensive defensemen with tremendous skill, but is a bit of a project, and may take another year or two. He should fit in pretty well with fellow Russian Tjutin. Kovalev clearly fits well on the 2nd line right wing.)

To Florida Panthers : Canucks 1st round pick in 2004

To Vancouver Canucks : Viktor Kozlov

(Panthers lose Kozlov, whom is one of their few veteran scorers, but with Horton, Stewart, and got knows what else coming up through the system on the wings, Kozlov might be expendable. He was on the block last year around this time, and I suspect Dudley would move him for a 1st round pick. Kozlov would be alright on the Sedin's wing.)

To Vancouver Canucks : Mike Sillinger

(Silly might be expendable with Comrie there now, and while I'm not sure on his contract status, I expect he is deemed expendable on the Panthers, considering they have Gratton, Kolanos, and Taffe all trying to fit in the bottom 6, nevermind Sillinger. Silly has been to Vancouver before, and it was no secret that Burke tried to get him before when he was in Columbus. Here might be a good place to pick him up.)

I like the Poapst trade. Nucks can use a defensive Dman for depth. Not a big trade but a good trade.

Kovalev I don't like. Its not overpaying, but you have to question Kovalev's heart. As well we have next to no chance of re-signing him as a UFA. I'm not sure he's the guy I'd want to lost prospects for only one playoff run. I'd much rather take Koltsov and the 1st and use them as the basis for an O'Neil deal.

Brown deal would be fine, but I doubt Buffalo take it.

Kozlov maybe-maybe not.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
No I'm not.

Kovalev is not the solution here, guys common.

There's other options other than Kovalev.
Yet in another thread you're willing to deal two 1st's, a 2nd, King and Mojzis for Kozlov and Lilja? Maybe it's just me, but Kovalev is a much better forward then Kozlov, and in Mizral's deal, the Canucks are giving up far less. Sometimes I just understand you ODC...

Anyway, as for my thoughts on the trade proposals, I'd do everyone but the Sillinger one(he could probably be had for a 3rd/4th round pick). I like the looks of the Kovy one. It hurts to trade Koltsov, but Kovalev is a supreme talent. He's struggled in New York, but who hasn't recently? If he were to be re-signed he'd have to take a pay-cut, probably to around $4-4.5 mil per. Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Curtis Brown is scheduled to be a UFA at season's end. 10 years in the NHL making less then league average salary.

Old
02-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Takeo

Quote:

The Sabres already have 6-8 Jason Kings. And other than Fitzpatrick, who is at least competent, the only other RHers on the backend are James Patrick, Brian Campbell and Andy Delmore. Yeah I know.

Regier would be interested in Koltsov.

Old
02-12-2004, 02:11 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
To Vancouver: Mike Sillinger
He's a UFA who sucks...no.

Old
02-12-2004, 02:17 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Kovalev would help once every ten games... like Nedved did.

Old
02-12-2004, 02:58 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Regier would be interested in Koltsov.
But what can he offer? And no, a 3rd line center who is about to become a UFA will not get the Sabres Koltsov...

Closed Thread