HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ottawa Sun Rumour about Yashin

Old
05-12-2008, 08:39 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think Garrioch is just parroting an earlier report?

Anyway, I'd roll the dice with Yashin on a 1-year $2-3M deal. I don't see how that would come remotely close to what he can probably get in Russia, but if he's changing his tune to any degree about willing to take a lot less and a low-risk 1-year deal to get back in the NHL and the NA lifestyle, well, he's a big talented centre. Worst case it's Samsonov all over again, but on just a 1-year deal.
I tend to think that guys are never as bad or as good they get portrayed. So, I don't think Yashin would immediately lead to a domino effect of laziness. I guess that if he's a rh shot on the pp, he's an upgrade on Ryder and Smolinski.

He'd be a diapointment to all those imagining a 220 lb. bruiser who's going to crash nets, but is that guy out there ? Maybe we already have him, he just isn't developed yet.

Maybe he would compliment the guys currently playing top 6 on the team though. Maybe he'd play well on the wing with Koivu and the younger K. ? Maybe not, but if he wants a ticket back into NA , stranger things have happened.

I don't know enough about him these days in terms of what he has left, attitude, but I wouldn't just dismiss the thought.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Makes no sense.....until it happens so we'll then find a new way to look at it....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Anyway, I'd roll the dice with Yashin on a 1-year $2-3M deal. I don't see how that would come remotely close to what he can probably get in Russia, but if he's changing his tune to any degree about willing to take a lot less and a low-risk 1-year deal to get back in the NHL and the NA lifestyle, well, he's a big talented centre. Worst case it's Samsonov all over again, but on just a 1-year deal.
I seriously doubt that he's going to change his tune and i don't see him signing with a team for less than 4m. The reason he went to Russia in the first place is because he was low balled and insulted by the offers he received from NHL teams according to his agent.

The guy play for the $$$ and not because he loves the game. We don't need people like that on our team.

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
lol

Habs seems to be in every battle for a player.
but never actually acquires one...

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I tend to think that guys are never as bad or as good they get portrayed. So, I don't think Yashin would immediately lead to a domino effect of laziness. I guess that if he's a rh shot on the pp, he's an upgrade on Ryder and Smolinski.
Exactly. I don't think Yashin's a bad guy or that he fails to "love the game" or anything. Basically, he might have a personality that doesn't fit the ideal for a good little hockey soldier, but as we've seen with Kovalev that doesn't _have_ to be a bad thing. It can be a challenge. But at the right price it can provide rewards. It's worth looking into anyway. I'd probably be more leery about dealing with this Diamond guy than with adding Yashin to the team, if anything.

Coming back to the NHL has to presume it's a lifestyle decision for him, not a financial one, though. Without that fundamental understanding in place, I don't see how it could be an option. But it's one of the stones that shouldn't be left unturned in an attempt to improve the team.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Mustafa*

If we pay him 2-3 millions for one year... i think it's a really good upgrade over Smoke as our third center, actually i thought that getting him last season like he proposed himself would have been better than smoke, even thought he wouln't have been happy with Pleky taking over his spot on the second line. If he comes here, he already knows that he's gonna be our third center and that he might get some PP time, he would play with players such as Lats, Streit, Lapy or Dago (Even Higgins or SK if Carbo keep his way, and, with a lot of luck, Paco).

He wanted to play here this year, he said it in the media, now that the team is so good, it's only up to Gainey if he want to take the chance of having a possible trouble maker in the team, wich i think is a exageration on Yashin's reputation.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
It would certainly be interesting to have Yashin on this team.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:18 PM
tinyzombies

The opposite of what we need. I'm getting sick of this.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:20 PM
JrHockeyFan

No offence (literally) but why would we want Yashin?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Belarus

if you get him cheaply, it won't hurt. the problem with Yashin was his infamous contract and his leadership qualities that just do not exist. And when you rely on him to be your leader - you're in big trouble.

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:23 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
if you get him cheaply, it won't hurt. the problem with Yashin was his infamous contract and his leadership qualities that just do not exist. And when you rely on him to be your leader - you're in big trouble.
Having guys like this on the team DOES hurt though. People follow their example. He can't skate and doesn't pay the price. Totally useless playoff player. Besides, who does he replace? Lapierre? I'm not a big Lappy fan, but we need grinders as it is.

Old
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
happyhab*

Not a bad idea, plus he was never a problem in the dressing room, it was his effort that was the problem. If we can pickup up Yashin and maybe a Jagr, both for short term contracts letting our youth develop without pressure is a good move

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....umors&Itemid=9

basically bruce garrioch says the habs and the wild maybe interested...

cant believe this stupid rumour still exists one year later

hope gainey isnt serious about signing yashin, if the rumour be true (which i doubt it is)
NOBODY wanted Yashin before he left for Russia last year. If he wants to play again in the NHL, he will have to play for no more than 1 million a year, and prove that he belongs. But this guy is a cancer. Always been, always will be. Gainey is building a contender
now. yashin would just **** up the whole thing. Keep him away !

His wife model is probably missing the New-York lights a lot !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I was hoping Montreal was going to get him last year.

In no particular order:

A. Kositsyn Plekanec Kovalev
(free Agent Ryan Malone) Koivu S. Kositsyn
Higgins Yashin Latendresse or D'Agostini (which ever wins the job)
Stewart Lapierre Kostopoulos

Markov Komiserek
Hammerlik O'Byrne
Gorges ????? (Valentenko)

bye bye Begin, Dandenault, Ryder, Brisebois and Boullion
Keep Grabovski, If Montreal can't sign Malone then play Higgins in that spot and Grabovski on the wing with Yashin.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
No offence (literally) but why would we want Yashin?
He has great upside, watching him play in Ottawa I know what he can do. You don't want him to be the dressing room leader or anything like that but if he accepts a decent contract in the 2 to 3 mil range I say it's a no brainer. He's big and is a natural sniper. He'd be a huge boast down the middle.

Old
05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
Having guys like this on the team DOES hurt though. People follow their example. He can't skate and doesn't pay the price. Totally useless playoff player. Besides, who does he replace? Lapierre? I'm not a big Lappy fan, but we need grinders as it is.
Can't skate? Are we talking about the same guy?
I live in Ottawa and have watched play many many times, the guy skates very well and plays in traffic. He's not afraid of the physical stuff either. The only thing I can say about him is that he doesn't show o to play every night but that was only true in Long Island and I think it was due to his surroundings. In Ottawa he was very very good aside from the playoffs maybe but that whole team struggled in the playoffs back then. A lot of people were saying the same things about Kovalev last year and he proved all of them wrong this year.

Old
05-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:

I would definitely take a chance on Yashin on those terms. My first choice would be Sundin, but we all know how unlikely that is. Yashin wouldn't be a bad low-risk Plan B.

I think the guy's reputation as a complete loser is unwarranted. He's been Captain and best player of the two NHL teams he's played for. In Ottawa, he had to play through double team coverage every time he was on the ice in the playoffs. And he competed. He had some relatively bad years in NYI, but that was a bad situation overall.

I think there's more to Yashin than the 90 million dollar bum we saw at his worst in NYI. Kovalev was pretty awful during his second time around with NYR. Jagr was underwhelming in Washington. It happens all the time. Even Drury was a disappointment in Calgary. And our dear Samsonov is a recent example. He just sucked here and in Chicago, but he's once again the player he used to be since landing in Carolina.

Yashin was a really good player. A franchise player. If his head is in the NHL game, I'd take a chance on him. In fact, I would happily take even the NYI Yashin for 2-3 million. With the Habs he'd have a better supporting cast than he's probably ever had in his career, and he wouldn't be relied upon to be the leader and face of the franchise. The opportunity to add a premier talent (one who's RH, 6'3 225 and plays C) without giving anything except a roster spot and cap space is a risk that's worth taking given the Habs' current situation.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:44 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Can't skate? Are we talking about the same guy?
I live in Ottawa and have watched play many many times, the guy skates very well and plays in traffic. He's not afraid of the physical stuff either. The only thing I can say about him is that he doesn't show o to play every night but that was only true in Long Island and I think it was due to his surroundings. In Ottawa he was very very good aside from the playoffs maybe but that whole team struggled in the playoffs back then. A lot of people were saying the same things about Kovalev last year and he proved all of them wrong this year.
Yeah, he PLAYS in traffic. Doesn't WORK in traffic though.

Nolan had him working a bit in NY, but you could tell he wasn't happy with him after he left.

I'm NOT a fan of having a floater like him or Smolinski on the fourth line and don't want him on any of the other lines influencing our kids like Brisebois did when he was leading our defense back in the day.

Then again, chemistry is a funny thing.

But I'm the guy who says trade Kovalev now while he's worth something.

Old
05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I was hoping Montreal was going to get him last year.

In no particular order:

A. Kositsyn Plekanec Kovalev
(free Agent Ryan Malone) Koivu S. Kositsyn
Higgins Yashin Latendresse or D'Agostini (which ever wins the job)
Stewart Lapierre Kostopoulos

Markov Komiserek
Hammerlik O'Byrne
Gorges ????? (Valentenko)

bye bye Begin, Dandenault, Ryder, Brisebois and Boullion
Keep Grabovski, If Montreal can't sign Malone then play Higgins in that spot and Grabovski on the wing with Yashin.
Why keep Grabovski?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

He's a big center, shoots righhanded, and has had two 40-goal seasons, four 30-goal seasons, and two 20-goal seasons. Of course, the Habs already have lots of players with comparable stats.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

So, the habs need more skilled gritty players and all these posters are willing to take a chance with Cashin...???

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

The guy is a career minus player, regular season and playoffs...yeah I want that guy to lead this team, not to mention he'll be 35.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:06 AM
peperebougon*

At 2.5 I'd say let's give it a try. He has A LOT TO PROVE.A LOT. (Kovalev anyone???)
Hell we are paying dandenault 1.7!!!

He plays in traffic, is big, talented. I think he'd blend well with this team. Having Yashin as your 3rd line center is pretty good...He can play top 6 minutes when needed. He was a captain. He'b be willing to come here. He skates pretty well. The fact that he played for the crappy islanders did not help. Kovy played in a countryclub. he sucked. He plays in a REAL hockey town, he'll get motivated like kovy did.

I find it funny how people follow things they read and don't think by themselves sometimes... Everybody says Yashin sucks, I'll say that too and fool myself into believing it. Yashin is nowhere near what you people depict him to be. Get real people... Big talented centers with good speed don't grow on trees. I don't care what he did in the past. What matters is what he can do for us now. At 2.5 mill a year. Hell we payed smoke 2. W payed Ryder near 3. We pay bouillon 1.8.

Last edited by peperebougon*: 05-13-2008 at 12:20 AM.
peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:07 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
The guy is a career minus player, regular season and playoffs...yeah I want that guy to lead this team, not to mention he'll be 35.
who said lead??? who said we wanted him long term???

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
who said lead??? who said we wanted him long term???
Exactly. Part of the whole problem with Yashin in the past has probably been that there have been unrealistic expectations for leadership or prominence in the lineup placed on him. But if you subtract those, subtract the big burdensome contract, he may be a pretty decent and productive supporting player.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote