HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cablevision, Newsday ink deal, is this good for Isles fans?

View Poll Results: Cablevision, Newsday ink deal, is this good for Isles fans?
Yes 15 34.09%
No 29 65.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-12-2008, 07:36 AM
tool123

vCash: 500
Cablevision, Newsday ink deal, is this good for Isles fans?

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-b...,7341028.story

Charles Dolan set to announce $650 million pact today

tool123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:14 AM
blitzkriegs

just add lilco and the lirr to complete the 4 things li'ers love to constantly complain about.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:46 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
While I can't stand Cablevision, I think it will lead to increased coverage of the Isles in the paper. Now the bad news - the coverage may very well be falsely positive at all times, with no critical analysis to be found anywhere.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:40 AM
broth518

Send a message via AIM to broth518
well it's better than News Corp and satan himself Mr. Murdoch

broth518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:10 AM
cjdv16

I heard this in the morning and just shook my head.

So let me get this right....

1. The Isles T.V. broadcasts are on MSG (flagship home of the New York Rangers)
2. The New York Rangers pilfered the Islanders broadcasters (Joe Michelletti / Stan Fischler)
3. The New York Rangers stole the Islanders 2007/08 slogan of WE'RE ALL <FILL IN TEAM NAME HERE>
4. Now, the Isles main newspaper outlet is being purchased by the same company who owns the New York Rangers.

I'm waiting for the day when the Rangers try to simply absorb the Islanders and pluck players from their organization because "the boss said so".

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
I don't think it'll have a major impact on the coverage the Isles get in Newsday one way or the other.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth518 View Post
yeah he is satan (not to be confused with our soon to be ex-#81)
yeah, but i hate cablevision too, (i have business dealings with(kinda) Newsdays subsidiaries)

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:29 AM
tool123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
I don't think it'll have a major impact on the coverage the Isles get in Newsday one way or the other.
I'm with you on that and in the day of technology, I get my news from the internet. So I will probably will never buy another paper again but there will be a special section ounce a year on the 50th greatest moments of MSG in Newsday from now on.

The Islander ticket sales advertisement will be moved to section Z because of it!

tool123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

2. The New York Rangers pilfered the Islanders broadcasters (Joe Michelletti / Stan Fischler)
3. The New York Rangers stole the Islanders 2007/08 slogan of WE'RE ALL <FILL IN TEAM NAME HERE>
4. Now, the Isles main newspaper outlet is being purchased by the same company who owns the New York Rangers.

I'm waiting for the day when the Rangers try to simply absorb the Islanders and pluck players from their organization because "the boss said so".
First, the Rangers didn't steal any announcers from anyone. These guys all work for Cablevision, who own the broadcast rights to the Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, Islanders, Devils and Red Bulls. their boss tells them to cover an event, they do it, they don't work for individual teams.

Examples, Al Trautwig also does Tour de France and US open. Sam Rosen does football games for Fox. All of these guys have families to support, wherever the work is, they go. there's no "stealing" and there's just not much loyalty.. it's a job.

Not to mention Howie Rose called Rangers games on the radio BEFORE doing Islander games, nobody complains that you stole him.

Second, the slogan is "I AM A RANGER", slightly different than "we're all islanders", which by the way isn't very original. I'm sure dozens of pro sports teams use similar marketing slogans.

Lastly, Cablevision also owns IFC, AMC, Fuse and WE. I don't know what you're worried about that they'll now own the Islander main newspaper outlet, but you don't see any huge Ranger-bias or anything on the aforementioned cable channels, do you?

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Second, the slogan is "I AM A RANGER", slightly different than "we're all islanders", which by the way isn't very original. I'm sure dozens of pro sports teams use similar marketing slogans.
Most of your post I agree with. This, however, is absolutely ridiculous. Even if the Kansas City Royals use that slogan, the proximity to the New York Islanders isn't significant enough to matter. The fact is, the Rangers are the Isles biggest rivals and considering this is the exact same slogan (just changing We Are to I Am), it's pretty blatant and obvious. Quite frankly, I find it funny, but the Islanders marketing staff does have a legitimate gripe. And by the way, I think the "We're All Islanders" slogan fits for the team.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Multi Family!

but its Plus so it is supposed to be better
Quote:
they can have Michelletti, he is such a suck up and i saw it back when he was an Isles broadcaster, they can have Fischler, he is losing his edge IMO
Quote:
4. Now, the Isles main newspaper outlet is being purchased by the same company who owns the New York Rangers.)
I hate it too and i believe that Newsday will be a shill for MSG/Cablevision

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
First, the Rangers didn't steal any announcers from anyone. These guys all work for Cablevision, who own the broadcast rights to the Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, Islanders, Devils and Red Bulls. their boss tells them to cover an event, they do it, they don't work for individual teams.

Examples, Al Trautwig also does Tour de France and US open. Sam Rosen does football games for Fox. All of these guys have families to support, wherever the work is, they go. there's no "stealing" and there's just not much loyalty.. it's a job.

Not to mention Howie Rose called Rangers games on the radio BEFORE doing Islander games, nobody complains that you stole him.

Lastly, Cablevision also owns IFC, AMC, Fuse and WE. I don't know what you're worried about that they'll now own the Islander main newspaper outlet, but you don't see any huge Ranger-bias or anything on the aforementioned cable channels, do you?
You know, your post was pretty good until you brought up the likes of AMC. Come on, man.

05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Grizzly

At least Murdoch didn't get it.

Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Ferraro93

does anyone else think its kinda funny hearing these players say that they are "rangers"?... i see what they are trying to say but at least when you hear bill guerin say it, he is an islander, living on long island... what kind of ranger are you exactly?? Park Ranger? stupid if you ask me.

Ferraro93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Most of your post I agree with. This, however, is absolutely ridiculous. Even if the Kansas City Royals use that slogan, the proximity to the New York Islanders isn't significant enough to matter. The fact is, the Rangers are the Isles biggest rivals and considering this is the exact same slogan (just changing We Are to I Am), it's pretty blatant and obvious. Quite frankly, I find it funny, but the Islanders marketing staff does have a legitimate gripe. And by the way, I think the "We're All Islanders" slogan fits for the team.
Ok, I don't agree, but let's just say you're right, and that we're even after the Islanders stole the stick salute. It's all pretty pointless trying-to-connect-to-the-fans stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
You know, your post was pretty good until you brought up the likes of AMC. Come on, man.
That's kind of the point.. I'm sure all of these channels combined reach a larger audience than Newsday, so whatever conspiracy theories that cjdv16 was trying to start up wouldn't make much sense.

As for the actual issue at hand, if anything, Dolan wants to pimp out CV even more and squash Fios on LI.. not start some kind of Rangers-Islanders media scandal.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
That's kind of the point.. I'm sure all of these channels combined reach a larger audience than Newsday, so whatever conspiracy theories that cjdv16 was trying to start up wouldn't make much sense.
No, I don't think you get the point. If you can't see how MSG owning something like AMC is completely different from them owning Newsday, I don't think you can intelligently comment on the issue.

One is a cable channel that has nothing to do with hockey, hockey coverage, New York, Long Island, etc. The other is Long Island's newspaper, which is the main paper that covers the Isles on a daily basis while in-season.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:52 PM
KH1

Quote:
Seriously. I would not read a Murdoch paper if there was any alternative at all, so this is good news for everyone on Long Island, including Isles fans.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
**** that. I hate the Dolans. Murdoch rules.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:00 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:

I guess they are trying to get back at us for stealing "their" stick salute.

Old
05-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Islesin93*

anytime a major corporation gains more power it is a bad thing

Islesin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Islesin93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
**** that. I hate the Dolans. Murdoch rules.

I hope your kidding

Old
05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesin93 View Post
I hope your kidding
nope, not kidding.

Old
05-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Islesin93*

Rupert Murdoch should be up there with Cheney, Bush and the rest of these Neo-cons who should be sentenced to death for war crimes, actually Murdoch should be at the top of the list

Old
05-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Killer Carlson

Let's keep this thread on-topic and not go down the political route. Thanks.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:26 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesin93 View Post
Rupert Murdoch should be up there with Cheney, Bush and the rest of these Neo-cons who should be sentenced to death for war crimes, actually Murdoch should be at the top of the list
I will listen to Killer and not respond.