HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cablevision, Newsday ink deal, is this good for Isles fans?

View Poll Results: Cablevision, Newsday ink deal, is this good for Isles fans?
Yes 15 34.09%
No 29 65.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Islesin93*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
all 175 Murdoch Owned Newspapers supported the Iraq war

Islesin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I will listen to Killer and not respond.
Same here.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Islesin93*

Quote:
I will listen to Killer and not respond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Same here.
well thats always a good cop-out

Islesin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesin93 View Post
Thanks, but, I didn't know I had to man up to a hardcore political discussion in a thread about hockey games in a hockey team forum.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
No, it is called listening to the moderator of the site, which is advisable if you want to keep your posting privileges.

Let's move along now and discuss the CV/Newsday deal.

05-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Pnut

One of Newsdays subsidiaries is in direct compition with me i wonder how that is going to work out

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:20 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Its not a cop out. I know my views and I obviously know yours and that conversation will get us absolutely no where.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Sneekypete

The Dolan`s rule.
Who else can u work for ALLEGEDY sexually harass multiple women and keep your job.Not only that but the Dolan`s will gladly pay your law suit settlement.
Where do i send my resume?

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:44 PM
DPSNAGS

Quote:
I guess they are trying to get back at us for stealing "their" stick salute.
let them whine about the stick salute all they want...we created hockeys best tradition....the playoff beard!!! and not to mention IslandersTV was copied by every team in the nhl and i believe in all major pro sports...but back to the topic....i doubt that newsdays coverage of long island's news will change unless the revamp the staff and dolan hired everyone...if they keep the existing staff members and the managers and so on...everything should be good...isles coverage wise that is

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:57 PM
nyisles618

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSNAGS View Post
let them whine about the stick salute all they want...we created hockeys best tradition....the playoff beard!!! and not to mention IslandersTV was copied by every team in the nhl and i believe in all major pro sports...but back to the topic....i doubt that newsdays coverage of long island's news will change unless the revamp the staff and dolan hired everyone...if they keep the existing staff members and the managers and so on...everything should be good...isles coverage wise that is
Actually all of the NHL team's version of ITV is put together by Nancy Li's (Wang's wife) company. They signed a deal with the NHL to do that so nothing to worry about there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
First, the Rangers didn't steal any announcers from anyone. These guys all work for Cablevision, who own the broadcast rights to the Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, Islanders, Devils and Red Bulls. their boss tells them to cover an event, they do it, they don't work for individual teams.

Examples, Al Trautwig also does Tour de France and US open. Sam Rosen does football games for Fox. All of these guys have families to support, wherever the work is, they go. there's no "stealing" and there's just not much loyalty.. it's a job.

Not to mention Howie Rose called Rangers games on the radio BEFORE doing Islander games, nobody complains that you stole him.

Second, the slogan is "I AM A RANGER", slightly different than "we're all islanders", which by the way isn't very original. I'm sure dozens of pro sports teams use similar marketing slogans.

Lastly, Cablevision also owns IFC, AMC, Fuse and WE. I don't know what you're worried about that they'll now own the Islander main newspaper outlet, but you don't see any huge Ranger-bias or anything on the aforementioned cable channels, do you?
You should probably watch the last 45 seconds of this video from the beginning of the 06-07 season
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F18k-KY40nI&feature=related

nyisles618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:22 PM
DPSNAGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles618 View Post
Actually all of the NHL team's version of ITV is put together by Nancy Li's (Wang's wife) company. They signed a deal with the NHL to do that so nothing to worry about there.
yeah i know the nielion company or something like that but the islanders were the first team to use the company to follow the team around

Old
05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploplopfizzfizz View Post
The Dolan`s rule.
Who else can u work for ALLEGEDY sexually harass multiple women and keep your job.Not only that but the Dolan`s will gladly pay your law suit settlement.
Where do i send my resume?
yeah, i've heard dolan has instructed the entire rangers team to take the pre-game skate with they ****ers hanging out of their hockey shorts. that may only be a rumor. i have no link.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Let's be serious here for a minute, Cablevision and Newsday are businesses designed to make money. If Isles fans buy papers, newsday will cater to its market. Cablevision didnt just spend 650 million to screw the Isles out of the back page...

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
nyisles618

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSNAGS View Post
yeah i know the nielion company or something like that but the islanders were the first team to use the company to follow the team around
But its not like the idea was stolen from the Isles like you were saying. You can almost think of it as the Isles running it for the other teams as well.

nyisles618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 04:42 PM
DPSNAGS

Quote:
But its not like the idea was stolen from the Isles like you were saying. You can almost think of it as the Isles running it for the other teams as well.
yeah i get you...i dont see it as being stolen im just stating that ranger fans have been complaining about the stick salute and under the radar the idea the isles started has been transformed into use by the major sports...i was trying to state that something i see goes unnoticed....but thanks for clearing that up for me i didnt know the isles were running it for other teams

Old
05-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Pnut

Quote:

You should probably watch the last 45 seconds of this video from the beginning of the 06-07 season
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F18k-KY40nI&feature=related
sad thing is this was less than 2 years/seasons ago and here is a list of all the guys saying "I'm (insert name here) and I'm an Islander":
Satan
Zhitnik
Yashin

Hunter
DP
Blake
Poti

Gervais
Campoli
Tambellini
York
Witt
and assuming Satan isn't coming back, thats half of those guys, too bad Kozlov didn't do that
oh well......
(by the way i am glad most of those guys are gone, sans maybe Tom Poti)

Old
05-12-2008, 05:34 PM
cohenzee

I didn't vote in the poll because I am not sure how it will affect coverage. I don't want to say it couldn't get worse because it can. However, since Newsday is one of the few local papers in the area (and probably the country) that makes a decent profit, I think it's unlikely there will be many significant changes.

cohenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Almonzo Wilder

Well if Newsday is anything like MSG they will cover their own properties far more which is good for Isles fans. The only downside I see is that I expect the Rangers to get the same, if not more, press than the Isles.

Almonzo Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenzee View Post
I didn't vote in the poll because I am not sure how it will affect coverage. I don't want to say it couldn't get worse because it can. However, since Newsday is one of the few local papers in the area (and probably the country) that makes a decent profit, I think it's unlikely there will be many significant changes.
they weren't making a profit, they weren't losing a lot either. there circulation is down severely like 300,000 papers in Nassau Suffolk and parts of Queens. When there are 1 million households in Nassau and Suffolk alone. I think, eventually they will go to an online only paper and people will pay per day or subscribe.
I PREDICT: Another thing is that if you are a cablevision subscriber, they will do some type promo where you pay $5 or $10 a month more on your cable bill, to get a subscription to the paper, so there circulation goes up, so when they sell Newsday they will make more $$$.

Old
05-12-2008, 05:58 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Lastly, Cablevision also owns IFC, AMC, Fuse and WE. I don't know what you're worried about that they'll now own the Islander main newspaper outlet, but you don't see any huge Ranger-bias or anything on the aforementioned cable channels, do you?
Are you kidding? Have you watched TV lately?
Now playing on

IFC: Oooh La La Sassoon, the story of Ron Duguay and Don Murdoch as they hit it big as blue jean models in Paris.

AMC: The Man Who Kept His Promise - Legendary Mark Messier stars as the Messiah whose prophecy brings happiness to lowlife society.

FUSE - Concert starring We Are the Kings - Henrik Lundqvist and family sing Scandinavian folk songs, including "Dreams of Malkin Kicking My Ass".

WE - Breakfast at Tiffanys II - A confused Sean Avery searches for his identity and becomes a panty designer at Vogue while struggling with his manhood as a hockey player in NYC.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
I heard this in the morning and just shook my head.

So let me get this right....

1. The Isles T.V. broadcasts are on MSG (flagship home of the New York Rangers)
2. The New York Rangers pilfered the Islanders broadcasters (Joe Michelletti / Stan Fischler)
3. The New York Rangers stole the Islanders 2007/08 slogan of WE'RE ALL <FILL IN TEAM NAME HERE>
4. Now, the Isles main newspaper outlet is being purchased by the same company who owns the New York Rangers.

I'm waiting for the day when the Rangers try to simply absorb the Islanders and pluck players from their organization because "the boss said so".

It's already begun.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
cohenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
they weren't making a profit, they weren't losing a lot either. there circulation is down severely like 300,000 papers in Nassau Suffolk and parts of Queens. When there are 1 million households in Nassau and Suffolk alone. I think, eventually they will go to an online only paper and people will pay per day or subscribe.
I PREDICT: Another thing is that if you are a cablevision subscriber, they will do some type promo where you pay $5 or $10 a month more on your cable bill, to get a subscription to the paper, so there circulation goes up, so when they sell Newsday they will make more $$$.
Actually according to this Newsday posted an estimated profit last year:

Quote:
Although the debt-laden Tribune Co. does not individually report Newsday’s profit, industry sources estimate the paper’s operating earnings were $80 million to $90 million in 2007.

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2008/0...r-newsday.html
While it is true that Newsday's profit has been declining, most experts believe this is due to costs that can be reduced by more streamlined operations rather than solely from declining sales, of which Newsday has not been immune.

The one thing the writer warns is that the Dolans must be wary of turning the paper into a collection of ads for it's other products. But of course they wouldn't do that, would they?

cohenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:30 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Let's be serious here for a minute, Cablevision and Newsday are businesses designed to make money. If Isles fans buy papers, newsday will cater to its market. Cablevision didnt just spend 650 million to screw the Isles out of the back page...
We dumped Newsday back home because of other reasons......and it was a sacrifice losing Islander coverage that we had to pay for (free online?) and now I am thrilled we're not getting Dolanday.

Dolanday will likely cater to the Isles when it serves them (see: cable paying the Isles and needing NHLN to see old Islander games while "The Miracle Of Bernie Nichols" is played ad nauseum on FSNY now). They'll likely move the good writers to other sports (see: Micheletti replaced by Eyebrows) and readers will get less on average.

It's just how things are done by the Dolans. THANK GOD Chuck's son in law is blogging now!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:33 AM
OlTimeHockey

One further note......they got it from Tribune apparently, who was losing money hand over foot. Hopefully this can be Dolan's AOL Time Warner achilles heel and bleed money like a fountain off his balance sheet. Remember.....it's free online and thus it won't pay for Porkchop Magazine Avery's modeling career

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:05 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

It may be time to change newspapers. I give enough money to the Rag$ and Knick$ through Cablevision.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote