HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cablevision, Newsday ink deal, is this good for Isles fans?

View Poll Results: Cablevision, Newsday ink deal, is this good for Isles fans?
Yes 15 34.09%
No 29 65.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Fist of Gillies

vCash: 500
I did not vote.

I don't see how this has any impact - positive or negative - on the NY Islander franchise or its fans.

And from the responses so far, I don't think anyone else has made a compelling argument for one or the other yet.

Fist of Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:54 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
If the Dolans run Newsday like the Knicks

Oh boy..

05-13-2008, 01:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Gillies View Post
I did not vote.

I don't see how this has any impact - positive or negative - on the NY Islander franchise or its fans.

And from the responses so far, I don't think anyone else has made a compelling argument for one or the other yet.
Our games will be on Metro next year again......Micheletti was good and knowledgeable.....and moved to replace Donut Davidson conveniently......ever see an Islander blurb during a Ranger game compared to Ranger news during an Islander intermission?

The other two papers have little on the Isles, and Newsday has less since Hahn.....now we'll have less yet again judging by the actions of the Dolan Nostra.

I could care less, anyways right now. If the Isles get talent and respectability back the other papers will cover them as if they were a real team again.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:12 PM
blackmesa

Quote:
Lastly, Cablevision also owns IFC, AMC, Fuse and WE. I don't know what you're worried about that they'll now own the Islander main newspaper outlet, but you don't see any huge Ranger-bias or anything on the aforementioned cable channels, do you?
This is where you a wrong my friend. Last week AMC had a Lone Ranger marathon. Biased *******s.

blackmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:26 PM
hgo

It's certainly not going to be a good thing.

It's probably a worse thing for Newsday though. Remember the gag order that the Dolans put on the Knicks while Isiah was there?

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:34 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Our games will be on Metro next year again......
Metro doesn't even exist anymore, but the Islanders should be on that channel when three teams are going. Face facts, they're the least popular of the three.

Quote:
I could care less, anyways right now. If the Isles get talent and respectability back the other papers will cover them as if they were a real team again.
Yeah, pretty much. And I don't really think Dolan's going to fire Greg Logan if he chooses to write whatever he wants about the Islanders. Now, should he choose to bash Dolan's running of the Rags...that's where I think this matters.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Fist of Gillies

Quote:
Our games will be on Metro next year again......Micheletti was good and knowledgeable.....and moved to replace Donut Davidson conveniently......ever see an Islander blurb during a Ranger game compared to Ranger news during an Islander intermission?

The other two papers have little on the Isles, and Newsday has less since Hahn.....now we'll have less yet again judging by the actions of the Dolan Nostra.

outside of the fact that Metro no longer exists and hasn't for at least 2 years - what does any of this have to do with Cablevision buying Newsday?

The Isles are barely covered in the Newsday Sports section as it is. Since the Islanders are cablevison "content" I don't see how they would look to take away publicity from the team in Newsday.

One would think they would want more people interested in the Islanders so that the ratings are higher and they get more ad revenue.

Fist of Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:47 AM
MatthewBarnabysTears

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this seemed tangential to the discussion of the Ratner/NVMC deal itself.

Does anyone else think it's odd that the ESPN NY Mets beat reporter has tweeted more about the NVMC deal than Arthur Staple? At the very least, the possibility of the Sound Tigers moving to Long Island would fall under Staple's area of coverage. I wonder if the relative quiet of Newsday so far (aside from some very matter-of-fact news stories) is at all a direct or indirect consequence of Newsday's management.

MatthewBarnabysTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:14 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth518 View Post
well it's better than News Corp and satan himself Mr. Murdoch
haha i used to work for newscorp. big rupe would always be sending e-mails out to his colleagues apologizing for his most recent mistakes

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Gillies View Post
outside of the fact that Metro no longer exists and hasn't for at least 2 years - what does any of this have to do with Cablevision buying Newsday?

The Isles are barely covered in the Newsday Sports section as it is. Since the Islanders are cablevison "content" I don't see how they would look to take away publicity from the team in Newsday.

One would think they would want more people interested in the Islanders so that the ratings are higher and they get more ad revenue.
I think the coverage of the Isles will get better with the move to Brooklyn.