HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Predators re-sign Erat, 7 Years\4.5 per

Old
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
RollingPredFan

vCash: 500
Well I think it was overpayment, and so was Legwand... but maybe it will look good in a few years (I hope)

And yes Erat is mainly a second line guy, but he did play with Arnott and Dumont for a bit and produced well.

Also we barely made the playoffs, but in the end, we did make the playoffs and played Detroit a lot better than Colorado... And Dallas is well on their way to being ousted handily...

Just playing Devil's advocate LOL

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Ugh:

Source: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....805130337/1028

We are making our beds. This is a team that barely made the playoffs.
Ouch. All four have no-trade clauses?
If the Preds ever get into a re-build situation, they'll understand how bad the Leafs had it this year.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
ktulu98

what?

7 years

4.5M?

whaaaaaaaat?

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:17 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post

what?

7 years

4.5M?

whaaaaaaaat?
Call in 3 years and let me see how you feel about it.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Noldo

To me it seems that Poile is doing exactly the thing that most NHL GMs should be doing: identify their core and lock them up before they hit the free agency. Do not let that one RFA year deceive you, that is practically UFA contract and valued accordingly.

Now, we can argue whether Poile has made good choices for the core of Predators to be (Erat, Legwand, Dumont, Arnott and most likely Weber and Suter). Not bad per se, 2/3 of top-6 and half of top-4.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Traktor*

Horrible deal!

Not all 55 point players are created equal.

Players like Fisher, Hartnell, Penner do other things besides putting up points.

Erat is a dime a dozen.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
Horrible deal!

Not all 55 point players are created equal.

Players like Fisher, Hartnell, Penner do other things besides putting up points.

Erat is a dime a dozen.
What, like fight and take dumb penalties? Erat plays on the PK, when healthy is likely closer to a 65-70 point player, and is likely one of THE BEST puck possession guys in the league...almost to a fault.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
One of the best puck possession guys in the NHL?

I don't really have a problem with paying a guy 4.5 million a year if that is what you want to do. However, paying a guy 4.5 million a year for 7 years when he is at best a good 2nd liner is nuts. If I ever have kids, i swear i want them to be a left handed pitcher, I guess Erat suggests my kid could be a European 2nd liner and make bank.

7 YEARS!?!?!

Anything more than 4-5 years for a guy who isn't your franchise or the face of the franchise is ridiculous. I don't care how productive he is now, or how productive he will be a year or two from now, but that type of term for a player of his ilk is just begging the team to be stuck paying a contract like this for a guy who gets hurt and is a shell of what he was. It might not be Erat, but down the road, if the market trends this way, it will take one guy to blow out a knee and be 70% of the player at 100% of the cost and these deals will stop.

All I can fathom at why this went down like this is the idea that the ownership in Nashville wants to make a statement to its fans, team and potential Free Agents, that they mean business and they'll compensate players to stay in Nashville if need be.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I guess there is a perception that the salary cap will not go up some years. Maybe even some people think it will go down? The cap in 7 years will be at least $75 Million.
I think there's a ceiling on just how high ticket prices can go (which I'm just guessing is responsible for a good chunk of the increased revenues lately). What if the Canadian dollar tanks to $1CDN=$0.65CDN again in a few years? It seems to me pretty murky as to exactly where the cap will be in 7 years (higher yes, but by how much?)

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:55 PM
KenHiczkakenbalz

That's about the same amount of money that Alexander Semin will be making for the next two years. Semin is better than his numbers indicate; I don't know if Erat is since I've only seen him a couple of times.

How does Erat compare to Semin?

KenHiczkakenbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I like Erat quite a bit, he's a shifty player with some good instincts, but I still would not give him 7 years with an NTC. Wow.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

People are such sensationilists. Erat is clearly a second line forward, not a (2nd line forward at best!!*!111!1!!). The argument should be whether or not he has peaked, or if he is still developing. Signs at the beginning of this year and last year pre-injury showed a guy that looked like he could be a 75 point player. This year once the injuries started piling in, he was paired with Peverly, Nichol, or Fiddler at center for a large chunk of games. There simply is no way you can expect 1st line numbers when your center is an overachieving fourth liner. I do think Poile overpaid a bit, but this is an UFA deal....6 years of UFA were bought out. Look at some of the UFA deals from last year alone.

Paul Kariya: 3 years 18 million
Jason Blake: 5 years 20 million
Chris Drury: 5 years 35.25 million
Scott Gomez: 7 years 51.5 million
Ryan Smyth: 5 years 31.25 million
Michael Handzus: 4 years 16 million
Michael Nylander: 4 years 19.5 million
Todd Bertuzzi: 2 years 8 million
Dainus Zubrus: 6 years 20.4 million
Bill Guerin: 2 years 9 million

And that is avoiding the defenseman salaries which were very pricey. The majority of these guys are one the 1/2nd line cusp, some are third liners. Erat is on par production wise with most of them, and given a stable line for a change, I expect him to sit around 65 points minimum each year, and I make that prediction without expecting his game to mature at all (which I think it will). Also keep in mind that Erat is 26, not 34....then take a look back at some of those contracts.

Its not a great contract, but as most extensions signed this year with team's core players, it is on par with market value.

05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Paul Kariya: 3 years 18 million
Jason Blake: 5 years 20 million
Chris Drury: 5 years 35.25 million
Scott Gomez: 7 years 51.5 million
Ryan Smyth: 5 years 31.25 million
Michael Handzus: 4 years 16 million
Michael Nylander: 4 years 19.5 million
Todd Bertuzzi: 2 years 8 million
Dainus Zubrus: 6 years 20.4 million
Bill Guerin: 2 years 9 million
And people criticized EVERY single one of those deals. Why should Erat's deal be immune?

Old
05-13-2008, 06:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
And people criticized EVERY single one of those deals. Why should Erat's deal be immune?
It shouldn't...but people should open their eyes. It's a sign of the times.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Thats pretty much every significant forward contract outside of Danny Briere signed last year.......If every single FA contract signed by a 1/2nd line forward was criticized, maybe people are misjudging their worth?

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 06:43 PM
rmack27

This is brutal deal for erat. I would think somewhere in the 3 mill range would be good enough to sign erat. 7 years at 4.5 could turn out poorly for the preds imo.

rmack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:09 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Thats pretty much every significant forward contract outside of Danny Briere signed last year.......If every single FA contract signed by a 1/2nd line forward was criticized, maybe people are misjudging their worth?
clearly he is worth it, someone paid it so by virtue of that he is worth it.

that being said, my contention is that his profile of player is a terrible place to put a 7 year NTC into. just terrible.

a 3 year deal makes more sense. how is he better than Chuck Kobasew as an example? a scoring support player, not a front liner who brings people to the rink and can impact multple games over the course of a season.

if i was GM, i would rather let him walk and take my chances with a prospect or another mercenary 1 or 2 year UFA than to be locked in for a 7 yr NTC with a Martin Erat.

OlliMackBjugStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Nhl Rejects Erat's New Contract With Predators

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=237677&l...s=topStory_nhl

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
My beef isn't with the money, it's more with the length of the contract and the NTC. That could potentially kill the Preds if they get into a rebuilding situation, or if Erat busts.

Old
05-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
My beef isn't with the money, it's more with the length of the contract and the NTC. That could potentially kill the Preds if they get into a rebuilding situation, or if Erat busts.
These are my thoughts as well. $4.5M may be a bit over an overpayment for Erat, certainly not a whole lot though. But 7 years and a NTC? Did Poile negotiate at all? It's one thing to have faith in your players and to reward them, but this all but guarantees that the Preds are stuck with Erat whether they want to be or not down the line.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
only 27, entering his prime as a good playmaking winger...and getting a decent two-way game, it's not a terrible contract.

the NTC is weird, but who cares? I'm all for guys staying with teams their entire careers and it's great he wants to stay in Nashville.

20 goals 2 of the last 3 seasons, and the season he didn't get it he had 57 points in 68 games and was +13.

People need to chillax, this contract isn't friggin that bad.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:16 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
only 27, entering his prime as a good playmaking winger...and getting a decent two-way game, it's not a terrible contract.

the NTC is weird, but who cares? I'm all for guys staying with teams their entire careers and it's great he wants to stay in Nashville.

20 goals 2 of the last 3 seasons, and the season he didn't get it he had 57 points in 68 games and was +13.

People need to chillax, this contract isn't friggin that bad.
according to TSN, its not a NTC .. its a NMC!!!!

OlliMackBjugStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I have no problem with the money. That's alright by me. The 7 year thing is the joke.

He's not a great player.

He's a decent player who might max out at 60 points in his career. He always has been somewhat fragile (though not exactly injury prone) and you want to wager that he will stay healthy throughout to make the 7 years worth it?

It's a hell of a gamble, I'll give you that.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:54 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Considering how many of us would have known this, it must be embarasing for the Preds to have multiple people who deal with the CBA and contract negotiations that missed this.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:37 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

TSN says its a No Move Clause, not a No Trade Clause.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote