Notices

Just curious?

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 11:20 PM
HuskyFlames

vCash: 500
Just curious?

KOVALCHUK has tons of hockey talent but I was just wondering where he takes his acting lessons? Tonight vs the Flames he barely gets touched by a high stick and its like its the end of the world. He then gets checked to his side after raising his arms to hit the puck from the air (big no-no when Gauthier is on the ice). He then has the nerve to cross check a defensemen from behind at our net because he won't do it from the from??? KOVALCHUK is a future star player but he needs to get control of his emotions and just play the game. He is more effect when he focuses and not trying to be the next Bertuzzi.

PS - I wish Heatly the best.

Old
02-10-2004, 11:59 PM
SlimJater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames
KOVALCHUK has tons of hockey talent but I was just wondering where he takes his acting lessons? Tonight vs the Flames he barely gets touched by a high stick and its like its the end of the world. He then gets checked to his side after raising his arms to hit the puck from the air (big no-no when Gauthier is on the ice). He then has the nerve to cross check a defensemen from behind at our net because he won't do it from the from??? KOVALCHUK is a future star player but he needs to get control of his emotions and just play the game. He is more effect when he focuses and not trying to be the next Bertuzzi.

PS - I wish Heatly the best.
He was hit on the underpart of the nose, and it was much more than barely. I am curious about what you think the proper reaction to that would be? And the second and third play you refer to, you have seemed to get mixed up. It was Gauthier who cross check Kovalchuk when he left himself open. And Kovalchuk gave a push to the back of someone who was going after Petrovicky. Why Calgary needed three players to go after Petro, I couldn't figure it out. But I was grateful when Kovalchuk went to the aid of his teammate. You must have been at the game because the Calgary station showed clear replays of all the events you speak of.

Old
02-11-2004, 04:17 AM
Lyons71

Quote:

I really liked how after Kovy got the cross-check in the ribs, (that had to hurt) the Calgary fans felt obligated to boo him the rest of the game. Nice...

Old
02-11-2004, 09:53 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71

I really liked how after Kovy got the cross-check in the ribs, (that had to hurt) the Calgary fans felt obligated to boo him the rest of the game. Nice...
That is what happens when you stand infront of the net. He better be prepared to play with the big boys.

Old
02-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Voynich

29 goals, 32 assists, tied for 3rd in the league with 61 points. Seems to me he already knows how to play with the big boys. If we had done the same thing to Iginla we'd never hear the end of it, we'd be thugs and hatchetmen. There is no doubt that Kovalchuk does overreact on the ice, but he isn't tossing water bottles at refs or anything.

I'm glad you guys dislike him so much. We love him and his penchant for sticking up for his teammates.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:25 AM
HuskyFlames

Iginla sticks up for teammates by fighting NOT hitting guys from behind. Wow, real tough guy.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:55 AM
SlimJater

Quote:
Iginla sticks up for teammates by fighting NOT hitting guys from behind. Wow, real tough guy.
I suppose you would rather Kovalchuk politely ask the guy to turn around before Kovalchuk jumps in the crowd. He was just trying to help quickly before Petro was abused further.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Voynich

The comparison was between the fans reaction to a player being hit in the ribs, not how they stand up for teammates. If anyone had gone after Iginla like that you'd be upset.

You must really hate your defense because two of the three hit Petro from behind. Wow, real tough guys.

But by all means continue with your pointless diatribe.

Old
02-11-2004, 12:07 PM
HuskyFlames

Actually our defense were standing up for our goalie who Petro took a few good whacks at after the whistle. Hence why our goalie even took a guy down.

Old
02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Voynich

That is fine, but quit railing against Kovy for coming to the aid of a guy who was being ganged up on 3 to 1.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:37 PM
HuskyFlames

#1 I agree K. is a great player

#2 But I do not agree with what he did last night. It is one thing to come to the aid but another to do it from behind. Petro had it comign as he wahcked the goalie a few times. Petro is known for this (He was a Flame for past couple seasons) and I know his type of game.

Old
02-11-2004, 03:02 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
As a non-Thrashers fan, I've seen Kovalchuk play alot. Fans around the league do have a right to their beef; Kovalchuk over dramatizes things sometimes. With the other rumors coming out of Atlanta about his behavior (and his clash with Savard) this guy evidently has a very big ego problem, too.

You guys did a good job sticking up for him, but Kovalchuk is not without his flaws.

Old
02-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Voynich

I don't think anyone has denied that Kovalchuk has some flaws, we're just tired of fans coming to the Atlanta board and moaning about him. We don't care.

I can't imagine a board where fans welcome and encourage moaning and complaining about their team's players. Much less their best player. Especially in a situation such as this one, where members of both teams acted like a bunch of clowns.

We don't need people telling us how much they disapprove of Kovalchuk. We get it, every other fan in the league dislikes him. Again. We don't care.

Anyone else have any complaints about Ilya? Did he curse out your Grandma or slap your kids? Maybe he burnt down your teams arena while he was in town? Desecrated your ancestral home? Sold you crappy life insurance? We've set up this special thread just for you.

Old
02-11-2004, 05:41 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Personally I think Kovalchuk is the most dynamic and talented young player in the game. I think he is already one of the top 10 players in the NHL. People can cry about his attitude, the way he plays or simply because he makes their defenseman look silly but that changes nothing. Kovalchuk is one of the stars in the NHL and the NHL would be WAY worse off without him. All you cry babies who want to pout about it, go right ahead, just don't expect Atlanta fans to kow-tow to you and say "oh yea, we hate him too". That's my take on it and I'm not even a big Atlanta fan.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Jag68Sid87

To add what AJ said,
EVERY FAN OF EVERY NHL TEAM would defend a kid like Kovalchuk if he were on their team. He's what's RIGHT about the game, not what's wrong.

Patrick, stop nit-picking about one isolated incident and look at the bigger picture. Like Iggy, Kovalchuk is an NHL superstar and one of the main reasons why people should watch NHL hockey.

Besides, this is hardly a Claude Lemieux-Kris Draper incident, or anything like that.

Old
02-12-2004, 02:58 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
#1 I agree K. is a great player

#2 But I do not agree with what he did last night. It is one thing to come to the aid but another to do it from behind. Petro had it comign as he wahcked the goalie a few times. Petro is known for this (He was a Flame for past couple seasons) and I know his type of game.
I see. So Petrovicky "had it coming" (getting hit from behind) because he hit the goalie, but the guys who jumped Petrovicky from behind didn't have it coming from Kovalchuk? Apparently now it's ok to be cheap when sticking up for a player, but not ok to do the same when sticking up for the player who is now getting attacked for the original infraction. The logic there is quite amusing.

Old
02-13-2004, 11:39 AM
TelperiŽn

If it's true that I've seen this many complaint posts on Kovalchuk, I'll take it in compliment that I.K. is at least doing something correctly. People love to see a superstar fail and when he's not, they will do all they can to discredit him.

As someone said earlier, if your team had Ilya Kovalchuk, you would defend him to death.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:16 AM
heat_15

Funny. The title of this thread is, "Just Curious". There doesn't seem to be any curiosity involved here. It seems like somebody wants to open an "I Hate Ilya's Antics" column. Well...

Go ahead. I can remember when the only thing anybody cared about with the Thrashers was "What's a Thrasher?".

Secretly, I pray that Ilya pumps his fist in goal-scoring triumph at every friggin' bench in the NHL before he's 23!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread