HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

McGill Students.

Old
05-13-2008, 07:54 AM
#2eddieshore

vCash: 500
McGill Students.

Hello all,

Unlucky in the playoffs, hope you win it next year!

I'm coming over to McGill next year as an exchange student from Newcastle in the UK. Am going to be doing business courses. As a massive hockey fan (one of the reasons I chose Montreal) I will be hoping to go to many games and also play hockey.

Any Habs fans want to sell me a season ticket? I doubt you do but its worth a try!

I presume my best chance of picking up a 10 game plan or something is in September?

Also im thinking of getting a season ticket for the Montreal Juniors but im slightly disappointed with the prices they are charging.

Anyway, if any Mcgill students could send me a pm and answer me a few questions that would be great. Im interested in knowing about intramural hockey.

Thanks.

I can't wait to come to your great city!

Last edited by #2eddieshore: 05-13-2008 at 08:12 AM.
#2eddieshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:11 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

season tickets: good luck!

Montreal Juniors: ????

McGill Business: Meh. Shoulda gone to JMSB instead.

Montreal Winter: Hope you're gonna be ready for it.

Welcome though!

If you move into the NDG area, the local Y runs ball hockey during most of the year (nothing in the summer - july to october)

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:20 AM
RC51

season tickets to the Habs?
I hope you realize what you are asking.
Like asking for Manchester United tickets. ( the current waiting starts for game in 2050)
you would be far better off just going to a game and looking for a few scalpers about 5 minutes after the game starts. Should be able to land tickets close to par.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
#2eddieshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
season tickets: good luck!

Montreal Juniors: ????

McGill Business: Meh. Shoulda gone to JMSB instead.

Montreal Winter: Hope you're gonna be ready for it.
Yeah i was only joking about the season tickets really. hence the

Montreal Juniors are the new QMJHL team that will be playing in Verdun next year.

I applied to Concordia but later found out that my university has no agreement with the business school and so i could not be an exchange student there.

I look forward to the winter. I have spent one in Ottawa but realise its going to be even colder in Montreal. I really want to play hockey a lot outside.

Old
05-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by #2eddieshore View Post
Yeah i was only joking about the season tickets really. hence the

Montreal Juniors are the new QMJHL team that will be playing in Verdun next year.

I applied to Concordia but later found out that my university has no agreement with the business school and so i could not be an exchange student there.

I look forward to the winter. I have spent one in Ottawa but realise its going to be even colder in Montreal. I really want to play hockey a lot outside.
Be careful what you wish for buddy, 8months of winter is no fun.

Its not so much the cold, but more so the snow. At one point, the mountain of snow from shoveling the entry/garage in my yard was almost as high as my house.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Fido22

Welcome!

Remember to have some poutine while you're here.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:48 AM
#2eddieshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Be careful what you wish for buddy, 8months of winter is no fun.

Its not so much the cold, but more so the snow. At one point, the mountain of snow from shoveling the entry/garage in my yard was almost as high as my house.
We don't really get any snow here so it will be a novelty for me. I can see how you locals will get sick of it though!

Could I earn money shovelling peoples snow for them? Im not going to have a work visa and so would need to work for cash in hand.

Old
05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
We don't really get any snow here so it will be a novelty for me. I can see how you locals will get sick of it though!

Could I earn money shovelling peoples snow for them? Im not going to have a work visa and so would need to work for cash in hand.
you could

depends on where you plan on living though

how old are you, if you dont mind my asking?

Old
05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Jokanee

Also looking forward to McGill...

While it probably won't be until at least another year, I am looking to go to McGill as well (for Graduate School), and being a huge Habs fan I'm sure my reasons aren't purely educational either!

Just like you said, I would look forward to the winter, playing outdoor hockey & going to Habs games.. but like they mentioned, best shot will probably be from scalpers!

If only the lady at McGill would give me a straight answer on the average they need for acceptance so I could determine the odds of coming down in a couple of years (from the Toronto Area and University of Western Ontario).

Jokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:05 AM
#2eddieshore

Quote:
you could

depends on where you plan on living though

how old are you, if you dont mind my asking?
I want to live in the heart of downtown. I am hoping to live with some Canadians that love hockey. I need people to talk hockey with. In between high school and university i travelled Canada for 10 months and went to 41 games all over the country (2 Habs games)

All people here in the UK want to talk about is football which isn't really my cup of tea. I think i will get to Montreal in mid august so will have a couple of weeks to find some accomodation before i start at Mcgill.

I have just turned 21.

Old
05-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Mustafa*

Shoveling snow is not realy something a 21 years old would do(it's like 15-20$ for an hour of shoveling, wich is not enough to afford the drugs and alcohol you need to forget about it), and depending on your location you might not have to shovel snow even one time during the winter. I know a lot of French and Chilean people who dont have visa and do clinical studies, where they test meds on you, that could be an option it pays from 800$ to 2000$ for each study, for that you dont need a visa and you dont pay taxes.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Fido22

Do you have two working kidneys? You can make allllllot of money! Tax free too!

Old
05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I was lucky to get Habs season tickets in my first year at McGill (right after the lockout) and don't plan on ever giving them up. Unfortunately there's quite a waiting list now, especially for the cheaper seats.

I haven't done intramural hockey but a couple of my friends have, it's pretty simple. There's four skill groups, you play mostly late at night, and you can sign up with a group of friends as a team or go to a "free agents" meeting.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:44 AM
#2eddieshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I know a lot of French and Chilean people who dont have visa and do clinical studies, where they test meds on you, that could be an option it pays from 800$ to 2000$ for each study, for that you dont need a visa and you dont pay taxes.
I would rather shovel snow than be a human guinea pig!

Thanks for the tip though.

Old
05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
I would rather shovel snow than be a human guinea pig!

Thanks for the tip though.
You could get a job on campus without a work permit. Just be sure to go to the International Students network as soon as you get here.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:24 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Do you have two working kidneys? You can make allllllot of money! Tax free too!

Which reminds me, the cheque bounced you leg humping bastidge.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Which reminds me, the cheque bounced you leg humping bastidge.
I need more time 'Phees. Gimme another week, man. I'm good for it. You know me. Come on man.

Old
05-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Turbo

McGill students? Bunch of ********. Stay away from these people.

I don't know how long the waiting list is for season tickets, but last year we signed up in November and were called in August. I'd imagine the waiting list grew quite a bit due to the team's successes - so it's likely to be around a ~2 year wait depending on what you're looking for. They ask for a deposit and you only get 1 chance for refusal if they call.

There's always a way to get tickets for games here and there - especially if you can go on week nights and who the opponent is. But that always depends on how much you're willing to pay.

Anyway, enjoy your time in Montreal! Love this city!

Last edited by Turbo: 05-13-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
icerocket

LOL what the hell @ Turbo? You posted the same message 7 times in a row.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:43 PM
FrankMTL

Is there an Echo in here?

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:00 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

someone's getting the "DATABASE ERROR" and pressing backspace and re-submitting.

To the OP:

Hmmm well i would suggest you scrap the idea of living in the heart of downtown, simply because it would cost you too much to have such a small living space.

You can find roomates in areas that are just outside the downtown area that are: Cheaper and have more space. The only advantage, i guess, to living downtown is that there's more foreign students who want to do the same. But i dont think that's what you're looking for.

Areas for you to look at: NDG, Snowdon, Plateau (but that's iffy too as it tends to be overpriced), Verdun, St-Henri.

Those are the areas. Downtown you'll find stuff...but it's expensive and ******, most of the time. Unless you're willing to REALLY fork out the dough.

Old
05-13-2008, 02:36 PM
#2eddieshore

Quote:

The only advantage, i guess, to living downtown is that there's more foreign students who want to do the same. But i dont think that's what you're looking for.

Areas for you to look at: NDG, Snowdon, Plateau (but that's iffy too as it tends to be overpriced), Verdun, St-Henri.
Thanks for the tips. You are correct that I'm not looking to live with foreign students. Would be good to be able to walk into uni though without having to take the Metro. I think accomodation should be a bit cheaper in Canada than it is here in the UK. Think i would be looking to pay around $500 plus utilities at most.

Old
05-13-2008, 02:38 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. You are correct that I'm not looking to live with foreign students. Would be good to be able to walk into uni though without having to take the Metro. I think accomodation should be a bit cheaper in Canada than it is here in the UK. Think i would be looking to pay around $500 plus utilities at most.
Won't find that downtown, but if you get roomates, you MIGHT. The Plateau is within walkable distance. I would avoid St-Henri and Verdun.

Old
05-13-2008, 02:42 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Won't find that downtown, but if you get roomates, you MIGHT. The Plateau is within walkable distance. I would avoid St-Henri and Verdun.
The plateau is highly overated. And its NOT within walking distance of mcgill (unless you expect to walk at least 30 minutes).

St-Henri and Verdun both have their nice and bad places. St-Henri is very multicultural on top of that.

Why would you say: "stay away from verdun/st-henri?" Because some poor people live there?

500$/month including utilities is kinda tough on your own. It's def possible, but chances are you'll have a small place (and most likely not downtown).

But as a roomate, that is AMPLY enough.

Check out craiglist.com for deals.

Old
05-13-2008, 02:50 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
The plateau is highly overated. And its NOT within walking distance of mcgill (unless you expect to walk at least 30 minutes).

St-Henri and Verdun both have their nice and bad places. St-Henri is very multicultural on top of that.

Why would you say: "stay away from verdun/st-henri?" Because some poor people live there?

500$/month including utilities is kinda tough on your own. It's def possible, but chances are you'll have a small place (and most likely not downtown).

But as a roomate, that is AMPLY enough.

Check out craiglist.com for deals.
About 90% of my McGill friends Plateaued, and while yes, it is overrated, they all walked to McGill. It probably took them around 30 minutes every day.
I lived on my own downtown and it was ridiculously expensive. I don't recommend it at all just because you'd be wasting so much money when you can get something nicer elsewhere.
NDG is a very good option. It's not within walkable distance (I've done it in 45 minutes but I'm crazy) and definitely not in the dead of winter.
As for St-Henri... it's what real estate people like to call "up and coming" but the only problem is... there isn't MUCH to do around there yet.
Verdun? It's just far from everything.

If you want something that's about a 15 minute walk away, and cheap when split with roomates, check out the Concordia area. You might find something good there.