Notices

Michael Forney back to the USHL?

Old
05-14-2008, 02:37 PM
X-SHARKIE

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Michael Forney back to the USHL?

Atlanta Thrashers' prospect Michael Forney was selected first overall in todays' USHL Entry Draft by the Green Bay Gamblers.

After not playing much for North Dakota the last two-seasons, does he plan on going back to the USHL before possibly hooking on with another team?

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 03:32 PM
The Maltais Falcon

I've not heard anything about this but there must be something to it if a team drafted him. Didn't he play three games in the USHL before quitting and going back to his high school team? Should a 20 year-old even be in the USHL? I'd just as soon he try his luck in the WHL. What an enigma he's been.

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE View Post
Atlanta Thrashers' prospect Michael Forney was selected first overall in todays' USHL Entry Draft by the Green Bay Gamblers.

After not playing much for North Dakota the last two-seasons, does he plan on going back to the USHL before possibly hooking on with another team?
06-07 at N Dakota he played in 16 WCHA games for 2 points (!) after putting up good numbers (60 & 67 pts) the previous two years in the USHSW? Wow, what happened? Coach's doghouse? Bad attitude? Was the 07-08 season similarly bad for him?

kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Safir*

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...x.cfm?id=76439

Quote:
In search of more playing time, UND sophomore forward Michael Forney has decided to spend next season in the United States Hockey League.

After that, his destination is unknown, but he could be back with the Sioux in 2009.

“I left on pretty good terms with coach (Dave) Hakstol, and there’s an option to come back”

Hakstol said the door is open for Forney’s return.
The lack of proper ice time and injuries contributed to the situation as well. I think the decision to go to USHL isn't gonna be benifical for a possible future career with Atlanta. (???)

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Holly Gunning

Many people said when Forney was drafted that he should have spent a year in the USHL before he went to UND. It's hard to argue that it wouldn't have been the best thing. He wasn't really ready as a freshman. It's been downhill from there.

In December I asked Dan Marr whether if Forney wanted to turn pro the Thrashers would discuss that with him. He said "these guys are in school for a reason" but that if he wanted to come out, they'd at least discuss it.

That said, I think his NHL potential is very low at this point.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:47 AM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
I remember Mock Drafts where people had him in the Top20

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
aparch

Green Bay is looking to change their luck, as they also selected Northern Michigan University (and NHL Undrafted) goaltender Reid Ellingson second overall (after trading with Des Moines).

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote