HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Our New Assistant Coaches?

Old
05-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Rodrigo
AKA Jose

vCash: 500
Our New Assistant Coaches?

We fired all 3 of the ones we had since Nolan took over, I can't find anything on our new coaches? IS there any news or are we going to be waiting until before the draft to find out who are new coaches are?

Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 10:59 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
We fired all 3 of the ones we had since Nolan took over, I can't find anything on our new coaches? IS there any news or are we going to be waiting until before the draft to find out who are new coaches are?
There have been no reported signings. I can't even recall any speculation written about since the first days after the firings.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Rodrigo
AKA Jose

Hope they get it all figures out soon

Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Hit and Score

Hopefully Nolan is a guy who can recognize his weaknesses and chooses someone with more of the X's and O's perspective that many think he lacks. That and a proven track record of acclimatizing young players to the NHL game is all I'm hoping for from the new assistants. I wonder if Nolan has complete control over this choice or if Murray might try to hire an assistant whom he can promote to HC once the rebuild is over. EDIT: Alternatively, if Tim lets Nolan have complete control, Murray has a little deniability/separation if Ted doesn't meet expectations (whatever those might be). Letting Nolan run things his way could let Murray wash his hands ("I didn't hire him") of any issues with Nolan that may arise down the line.

Last edited by Hit and Score: 05-25-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Hit and Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 12:15 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit and Score View Post
Hopefully Nolan is a guy who can recognize his weaknesses and chooses someone with more of the X's and O's perspective that many think he lacks. That and a proven track record of acclimatizing young players to the NHL game is all I'm hoping for from the new assistants. I wonder if Nolan has complete control over this choice or if Murray might try to hire an assistant whom he can promote to HC once the rebuild is over. EDIT: Alternatively, if Tim lets Nolan have complete control, Murray has a little deniability/separation if Ted doesn't meet expectations (whatever those might be). Letting Nolan run things his way could let Murray wash his hands ("I didn't hire him") of any issues with Nolan that may arise down the line.
He gave a lot of responsibilities to Sacco (forwards and PK) and Numminen (defensemen and PP) last year, so I think he understands the need to delegate. Hopefully he picks guys who'll give us a competitive but aggressive gameplan, showing a bit more aggression in all areas even if it burns us often. There's no point in holding back trying to steal games on lucky bounces when you have no immediate goals to reach. Up the forecheck and challenge at the blue line. If we have a one man forecheck and collapse the whole team around the net I'm going to eat my eyeballs before the season is over.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 12:24 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
The problem is..He did hire him. No one put a gun to Murrays head and said hire or die. I'm hoping for some bright minds who have been coach's before ...cough* Cunneyworth cough*

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Bearbait

Lets hope Nolan had dinner with Phil Housley at the world hockey championship.............

Bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:13 AM
CaptPantalones

The only speculation was that its almost a given (according to Vogl and a couple others) that Cunneyworth will be on the staff.

Other then that and Nolans supposed interest in Arturs Irbe, nothings been reported

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
The only speculation was that its almost a given (according to Vogl and a couple others) that Cunneyworth will be on the staff.

Other then that and Nolans supposed interest in Arturs Irbe, nothings been reported
Rumor included Peca.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 12:05 PM
millija26

vCash: 300
In interview to Latvian media , Nolan told that he considers A.Irbe and K.Zirnis (asssistant c. team Latvia) for some jobs. Who knows.

millija26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 01:24 PM
terrynb24

I also heard Arturs Irbe and Mike Peca as potential assistants.

terrynb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 02:35 PM
omglolnub

I wouldn't be surprised if they get their guys in August or something to get J̶o̶e̶ ̶S̶a̶c̶c̶o̶ an unemployed head coach that doesn't find a seat in the game of musical chairs this summer to be an assistant coach on the team.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 02:37 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
I've been wondering in recent days about who the assistants might be and when they will be named. I'm guessing Nolan jumping right into coaching Latvia at the World Championships after the season is the reason for the delay.

I imagine after a little break he will get going on this soon.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 02:41 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they get their guys in August or something to get J̶o̶e̶ ̶S̶a̶c̶c̶o̶ an unemployed head coach that doesn't find a seat in the game of musical chairs this summer to be an assistant coach on the team.
John Tortorella!
At least his interviews would provide some entertainment, since outside of watching the youngsters progress, we probably won't get much of that out of the actual team.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 04:44 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Randy Cunneyworth, Mitch Korn, Todd Reirden

Cunneyworth is great with young forwards and penalty kill, Korn is awesome with goaltending and reirden ran a top power play and was very good with young dmen.
P.s I think when Bylsma gets **** canned, Reirden becomes available.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 06:27 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
Sacco is supposed to let the sabres know relatively soon if he's going to accept a reassignment in the organization.

My guess is he may end up with cunneys old job if he joins the staff

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 12:20 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
If Peca becomes coach rumor is one of the practice drills he will instill is shooting cans of tuna fish into shopping carts...

We should have the best sharp shooters in the league if that happens.

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 06:46 AM
jawallstar1
NHL Draft "Expert"

Randy Cunneyworth, Craig Ramsay, and Mike Ramsey.

jawallstar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 07:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Peca should be hired to be Zemgus's personal coach.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 01:27 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Hopefully Nolan is a guy who can recognize his weaknesses and chooses someone with more of the X's and O's perspective that many think he lacks.
Hamilton swears that during practices, Nolan will whip out a white board and diagram exactly where he wants every player to be - ie. he does do "X's and O's" at least to some extent. What he doesn't do is make a game plan specific to whomever the opponent is.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 10:52 AM
GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by millija26 View Post
In interview to Latvian media , Nolan told that he considers A.Irbe and K.Zirnis (asssistant c. team Latvia) for some jobs. Who knows.
Well, it's an interview to Latvian media.. I'd be more than surprised to see Zirnis in the NHL. It'd certainly be great, though. Until a few years ago (when he became assistant for Nolan) he was a scout/assistant coach in NAHL/Midget, and unknown for the Latvian crowd.

GX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 4m

Good to hear Eli Wilson in the hunt for some of the NHL's goalie coach jobs. Wilson has talked with Calgary and Buffalo as well as others...

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:55 PM
26CornerBlitz

@DarrenDreger

Good to hear Eli Wilson in the hunt for some of the NHL's goalie coach jobs. Wilson has talked with Calgary and Buffalo as well as others...

26CornerBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 4m

Some background on Eli Wilson for those who don't know the name:
Quote:
Having elevated the games of current National Hockey League goaltenders Carey Price, Ray Emery, Tim Thomas, Tuukka Rask, Brian Elliott, Jason LaBarbera, and Devan Dubnyk. Eli Wilson has established himself as one of the premier goaltending coaches in the world. His relentless work ethic, vivacious personality, knowledge of the goaltending position and tenacious approach to the game has afforded Eli the ability to build an impressive track record.

Wilson had unprecedented success for four seasons with the Western Hockey League’s Medicine Hat Tigers. While there, Wilson’s goaltenders set new franchise records only to break them again two years later. During Eli’s tenure, the Tigers won two Championships and in both of those runs, the Medicine Hat goalies were named playoff MVP’s.

Eli's success as a goaltending coach is best demonstrated by the number of goaltenders he has developed that have gone on to win numerous prestigious awards including Stanley Cups, Conn Smythe Trophies, Venzina Trophies, World Junior Gold Medals, AHL Championships, AHL Playoff MVP's, WHL Goaltender of the Year, OHL Goaltender of the Year and CHL Goaltender of the Year.
There's an Ottawa/Murray connection, as Wilson was their goaltending coach from 2007-2010

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
@DarrenDreger

Would be a good hire, I believe he works with a few NHL goalies currently. Carey Price I believe is one of them. Him and Tim Murray have a history with the Ottawa Senators from 07-10.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote