HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-09 Juniors, NCAA, ECHL, European Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilBesideYou View Post
Per TG,

Good news, if true.
Nifty. That's really great news. It'll give out scouts a chance to see Vasyunov and Zharkov for another year to evaluate their play and give Tulupov another year to develop a defensive game to match his hitting game.

The downside is it probably means they won't be in Lowell next season, which is a downer.

It's good that Lamoriello is taking an interest in Halischuk, too. Halischuk's performance in the playoffs thus far mark him as a real Lou-type player - he loves the guys who step it up when it counts. I'm looking forward to him making the Devils in the next two or so years.

Old
05-21-2008, 06:43 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Per TG,

Good news, if true.
Definitely good news, though I don't understand how their situation is different from the Russian prospect that the Bruins are losing. However, I don't like one of TG's later comments:

Quote:
I don't know if they'll be in camp, but it didn't sound like they were close to signing.
There's still plenty of time if that's true, but I really hope to see them in Lowell next year.

Old
05-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Per TG,

Good news, if true.
That's not exactly good news. I mean, it's better than them not being signed at all, but I wanted Zharkov and Vasyunov here last season. I can't see how another season in Russia will do them any good. And didn't one of the Victoriaville fans say that Tulupov isn't going back to the Q? Where's he going to play if he doesn't get signed?

Old
05-21-2008, 07:29 PM
thefiestygoat

I don't understand Lou's comment. First off, isn't Tulupov just like a North American prospect? I was also under the impression that he was planning on leaving juniors to sign and play in the AHL next year. Also, how are Vasyunov and Zharkov "defected players" since they still live and play in Russia? Obviously I hope that the Devils do have an extra year to get them signed since it appears no deal is near, but I worry about what another year in Russia - with little playing time - will do to their development. They really need to get over to the AHL if they want a shot at a NHL career, which maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Old
05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
cjmurph

Tulupov was drafted from a Canadian team, so I doubt the transfer agreement even applies to him, he still should need to be signed by June 1st. As far as Zharkov and Vasyunov are concerned, either Lou is wrong, or every other person that has commented on the subject is...we'll see.

Old
05-21-2008, 08:45 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmurph View Post
Tulupov was drafted from a Canadian team, so I doubt the transfer agreement even applies to him, he still should need to be signed by June 1st. As far as Zharkov and Vasyunov are concerned, either Lou is wrong, or every other person that has commented on the subject is...we'll see.
If he was drafted from a Canadian team don't they have more than 2 years to sign him? I thought the 2 years was for players drafted from Europe.

Old
05-21-2008, 09:20 PM
thefiestygoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
If he was drafted from a Canadian team don't they have more than 2 years to sign him? I thought the 2 years was for players drafted from Europe.
I am pretty sure that teams only have 2 years to sign NA prospects, but I could be wrong. Anyone else know for sure?

Old
05-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

I wonder why we have that extra year?

Old
05-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Tulupov was drafted as a Russian then drafted into the CHL 2 weeks later. The same situation Kadeykin was in.

Old
05-21-2008, 10:06 PM
thefiestygoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Tulupov was drafted as a Russian then drafted into the CHL 2 weeks later. The same situation Kadeykin was in.
Thanks for clearing that up, although I must say, I would hate to lose him, maybe even more so than Vasyunov and Zharkov. I am really starting to get nervous since the deadline may be approaching (or not, who knows?).

Update from TG
Quote:
And I asked Lamoriello the question about the Russian 2006 picks three times just to make sure he didn't misunderstand me and I didn't misunderstand him. I'm just telling you what he said. It's possible he was mistaken because it didn't seem to make sense to me. That's why I kept asking him.

I really don't think he was intentionally misleading me, though, because that's something that would easily come back to him as a lie and he's usually honest about stuff like that. I don't think you could blame him if the Devils lost Russian players back into the draft because there still is no transfer agreement two years later. It would happen to other teams, too. Really, shouldn't there be an agreement by now?
This is all pretty confusing right now. I guess we won't know anything until after June 1 which kinda sucks.

Old
05-21-2008, 10:13 PM
cjmurph

Tulupov did play the majority of 05-06 with the Toronto Rattlers though. I did just get an e-mail response from Gulitti similar to his last blog comment saying that he thinks there is a good chance that Lou is mistaken about the Russians and he'll try to get clarification someplace else.

Old
05-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Tulupov did play the majority of 05-06 with the Toronto Rattlers though. I did just get an e-mail response from Gulitti similar to his last blog comment saying that he thinks there is a good chance that Lou is mistaken about the Russians and he'll try to get clarification someplace else.
Somehow I highly, HIGHLY doubt that is the case.

Old
05-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Its doesn't mean a thing, only major junior would be considered when talking about this topic within the CBA. Thats the reason why kids from Canada play junior A before college, so they don't loose their eligibility, college considers CHL semi-pro. Tulupov also played out of Russia that year before he left.

Old
05-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
This is all quite confusing. If it's true that they don't have to sign them by June 1st and not lose their rights, then that is good news, but like others have said, Vasyunov and Zharkov need to get to North America sooner rather than later in order to further develop their games. Interesting about Tulupov though, but Jason is right about being drafted as a Russian, before being drafted into the CHL. It would be nice to know exactly what is going on with all the Russians, but at least we appear to be on our way to finding out exactly what the deal is....

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
05-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Renton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post

Mistaken, lying, delusional...take your pick. Regardless, the Devils lose the draft rights to Tulupov, Zharkov and Vasyunov if they aren't signed by June 1st.

Old
05-22-2008, 02:22 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
It wouldn't be the first clerical error. Remember Madden and Rafalski being made underage UFA's?

Old
05-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Devilswede

Lou has been full or errors lately. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we lose our trio in a week or so....

I don't know. I simply don't trust Lou as much as I used to...the last few years might be a reason as to why...

Old
05-22-2008, 06:16 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
Lou has been full or errors lately. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we lose our trio in a week or so....

I don't know. I simply don't trust Lou as much as I used to...the last few years might be a reason as to why...
Are Lou's ways getting old?

Who knows, I still trust him. He has put together a pretty good coaching staff. Squeezing 99 points out of this roster certainly makes me excited for the future.

Regarding V, Z and T, I hope they get signed and brought over to the AHL, but I wont be betting my house on it.

Old
05-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Mistaken, lying, delusional...take your pick. Regardless, the Devils lose the draft rights to Tulupov, Zharkov and Vasyunov if they aren't signed by June 1st.
Thanks for clearing that up for all of us, Bettman.

Old
05-22-2008, 09:19 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeonta View Post
I think I'm going to be sick.
Take a gander from June 2006

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=Zharkov

Last edited by JimEIV: 05-22-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old
05-22-2008, 08:37 PM
thefiestygoat

TG Clears it Up

Quote:
To be certain, I asked Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello again today about the three Russian players the Devils drafted in 2006 (Alexander Vasyunov, Kirill Tulupov and Vladimir Zharkov). As it turns out, Lamoriello didn't completely understand me when I asked him on Wednesday.

According to what Lamoriello said today, Vasyunov and Zharkov do not have to be signed by June 1 because they are considered "defected" players and the Devils will maintain their rights for another year as long as they make them qualifying contract offers -- which Lamoriello said he will do. Tulupov, as some of you speculated, does not fall into that category because he played major junior for Chicoutimi in the Quebec League.

If the Devils don't sign Tulupov by June 1, he will re-enter the draft. When asked if he was optimistic he could get something done with Tulupov before the deadline, Lamoriello replied vaguely, "We'll have to make a decision what we're going to do."
I will be very disappointed if Tulupov is not signed. At least it looks like they still have another year for Vasyunov and Zharkov but it worries me that they will probably not get a lot of playing time in Russia once again.

Old
05-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

I too will be Das Über pissed if Tulupov does not get signed. I really really hope Lou can get something done with the other 2 Russians this summer too.

Old
05-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Rochester22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
you sure about that?

from tg:
Vasyunov and Zharkov do not have to be signed by June 1 because they are considered "defected" players and the Devils will maintain their rights for another year as long as they make them qualifying contract offers

Old
05-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefiestygoat View Post
TG Clears it Up

I will be very disappointed if Tulupov is not signed. At least it looks like they still have another year for Vasyunov and Zharkov but it worries me that they will probably not get a lot of playing time in Russia once again.
You certainly wouldn't be the only one who would be disappointed. He's probably been one of my favorite prospects to track, with all the youtube video's chronicling his many devastating body checks. While he's not going to ever be a superstar, he's got a real good chance to make in impact with the type of game he plays....Don't let him get away Lou!

Old
05-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Devilswede

Tulupov has been on of the most exciting prospects to follow, and hearing him talk about how the Devils had a close on eye on him sounded like he was about to sign with New Jersey one year ago...and now this from Lou?!

W-t-f is up with that?! One of our best prospects and Lou might let him get away?! I just can't believe it....

For every day that goes by Lou is looking smaller and smaller in my eyes.... Like I said, I still trust the man..but not as much as I used to. Letting a guy like Tulupov get away certainly wouldn't help his case either...

Closed Thread