HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Has anyone tried this workout routine?

Old
04-14-2008, 01:53 PM
droller*

vCash: 500
Has anyone tried this workout routine?

Here is a link to it:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm

I've been working out consistently for about 16 months now... Did some lower rep/high weight training before I started this. Only modification I've made is replacing the dumbbell chest press with a full bench press (similar.. just a bar there too)

After doing 4 of the 6 weeks of this program... I must say, it works.
- The high reps make you more toned
- The weight has made me stronger (my max bench has improved)
- The high reps give you a cardio workout.
- It works your whole body.

For any weight lifters out there... I suggest giving this a try. I am sore after every workout. On legs day, I can't walk the next day .

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
MikeD

Have you been monitoring your waking heart rate? This is one of your best indicators when working out heavily and unmonitored. An elevated heart rate on waking is a strong indicator that you are reaching an "over training" situation. This produces reduced hockey skills in those areas that give the "finesse" to a players game. Should you enter a season under an over trained condition, you increase your risk of adding lost days on injury or deal with nagging pain through a season.

De-training is very difficult to do with out guidance. Just an FYI and suggestion for the hockey player/builder.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
droller*

i have not been monitoring my heart rate while doing this. i no longer play competitive hockey (just beer league now). the spring/summer is my off-season, so i train 4 days per week. do you think this workout could hurt my hockey performance or something? does it increase my chance of getting hurt?

in regards to the cardio comment i made... its based on the fact i break a healthy sweat, while with less intense programs i would rarely sweat.

Old
04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
I call BS on anything that claims high repetitions leads to "toning" because toning doesn't exist. There are only 4 possible things you can do with your body in regards to muscle definition: gain muscle, lose muscle, gain fat and lose fat. Muscle "tone" is a product of losing subcutaneous fat.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:13 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
I call BS on anything that claims high repetitions leads to "toning" because toning doesn't exist. There are only 4 possible things you can do with your body in regards to muscle definition: gain muscle, lose muscle, gain fat and lose fat. Muscle "tone" is a product of losing subcutaneous fat.
Nice call Wilde on the toning. You are correct. What's your thoughts on "spot reduction" of fat and the ab lounger? Just kiddin

I read through it and it doesn't claim toning. Just the thread starter.

German Volume training is not new to anyone who has done just a little research in the area of weight lifting routines.
I've worked out with many folks who have had only success with higher rep, moderate weight. And have worked with just as many who claim low reps, heavy weights are all that help them. I do think it's body type specific. I can gain mass with high rep. But I do usually change it up every few weeks for freshness.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:00 PM
droller*

i know this routine isn't anything new. one of my friends told me he found it on one of his dad's old supplement books way back.

just sharing my opinion... the 4 weeks i have seen some "toning" results... i look a little more cut than i did before i started this. i am by no means an expert body builder and don't claim myself to be one.

MURedHawk... what have you heard about this german volume training? is it something you would recommend to someone looking to have a good cardio workout while lifting?

Old
04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Carl Racki

Send a message via AIM to Carl Racki
Boys, if what you want is cardio while lifting, please do yourself a favor and go to www.crossfit.com I have been pimping this website on every one of these "workout" threads for the last several months, and I don't see that anyone has taken me up on it. Just go and do it for one week, then tell me what you think. Please.

Carl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:10 AM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MURedHawk View Post
Nice call Wilde on the toning. You are correct. What's your thoughts on "spot reduction" of fat and the ab lounger? Just kiddin
Don't even get me started...

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 05:14 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
i have not been monitoring my heart rate while doing this. i no longer play competitive hockey (just beer league now). the spring/summer is my off-season, so i train 4 days per week. do you think this workout could hurt my hockey performance or something? does it increase my chance of getting hurt?

in regards to the cardio comment i made... its based on the fact i break a healthy sweat, while with less intense programs i would rarely sweat.
It would depend on your own drive. How hard you go into any regimen. That is why its a good idea to monitor the waking heart rate. Lets say for instance, you have a two day break in your routine in your cycle you can check. When you wake take your pulse. Count the number of beats in 15 seconds and multiple by four. On your second day take it again. You should notice a reduction. This indicates your body is recovering from a tough work out. As a for instance, in tracking your morning rate statistically your between 42-48 on waking, should you wake up to a 58 BPM then you know your state of recovery.

Should the waking heart rate steadily rise into these higher levels, it indicates that your works have made it harder on C-V. to circulate blood, the cells are using more resources and other problems arise. With the body in a long term recovery mode, glycogen stores in the muscles is very limited. Your going to be relying on liver and blood stream for your source of this important fuel. Consider that 100% of the fuel for your brain is derived from blood sugar, you can imagine the impact on hockey when over training has happened. Setting aside the physical aspect, just mentally you will not be as sharp.

IF actively playing the game, monitor the heart rate and be sure to include works that encourage both short and long muscle fiber building. Goalies tend to use weights to develop core body and long muscle fiber structures. Hockey players are an athletic bunch but how many are a Mr. Universe? If it were benefitial to playing the game, wouldnt you see it more?

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 06:52 PM
droller*

Rod Brindamour, Joe Sakic and Gary Roberts come to mind when you mention Mr. Universe . I know what you mean though, there aren't MASSIVE guys (bodybuilders) that play professional hockey. I don't think it's possible given the amount of cardio work they do (games, practices, pregame skates).

Old
04-16-2008, 11:29 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Here is a link to it:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm

I've been working out consistently for about 16 months now... Did some lower rep/high weight training before I started this. Only modification I've made is replacing the dumbbell chest press with a full bench press (similar.. just a bar there too)

After doing 4 of the 6 weeks of this program... I must say, it works.
- The high reps make you more toned
- The weight has made me stronger (my max bench has improved)
- The high reps give you a cardio workout.
- It works your whole body.

For any weight lifters out there... I suggest giving this a try. I am sore after every workout. On legs day, I can't walk the next day .
That is a complete and absolute lie. Higher reps using lower weights has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with how toned you get.
It's all diet.

I've said numerous times on this board, I only do 4-6 reps in all of my exercises and I'm very, very toned. But I only got shredded after I started watching my carb intake while increasing my lean protein.

You can do 12 reps all day long and the only thing it's going to do is prevent you from getting is larger muscles. Bigger muscles, by the way, stretch the skin giving you a more toned and tight look.

It's no different than if you were to put a softball in a tube sock. How stretched would the sock look? Now put a football in there? See the difference?

Again, I want to reiterate. HIGH REPS DOES NOT EQUAL MORE TONE.
There are tonnes of articles available online that disprove this wives tale.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Kamus

Way too many isolation exercises in that routine. Hammer curles, leg extensions, pulldowns etc. are not very good for developing strength.
Leg extensions are only good for ruining your knees

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:26 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
Way too many isolation exercises in that routine. Hammer curles, leg extensions, pulldowns etc. are not very good for developing strength.
Leg extensions are only good for ruining your knees
Excellent post.

To build strength you need to do basic movements and load up on the weight:

Bench press, Squat, Curl, Deadlift.

I've made this mistake in the past too but since simplifying 4 weeks ago (using Max-OT principals) I've added 10 lbs to my bench and will probably move up next week too.
The same goes to all my other muscle groups. I'm squatting and curling more than I ever have.

Keep it simple. Load up on weight, do 4-6 reps, rest 2-3 minutes between each set and make sure you go as intense as possible.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 12:22 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:

MURedHawk... what have you heard about this german volume training? is it something you would recommend to someone looking to have a good cardio workout while lifting?
Sorry for not answering sooner. Been away

The positive things I've heard have been about "hard gainers". Hard gainers of strength and mass usually have to experiement a lot more with what works for them to see improvements. Obviously "easy" gainers can do pretty much anything and see results as long as it's a progressive program . Two of my friends (both skinny as can be) had better results with high volume training similar to the one at the site. (They both though made sure that weight was being added consitently through the program to each rep and set scheme every week if not every workout.)

Many folks find a program that works for them and then they swear it should work for everyone. This isn't true, espescially with "hard gainers". The key is to keep a log book. Try a workout for a period of time (at least 2 months) and log everything including test lifts for max at start and end of the program, diet, weight lifted, reps, sets, and even feelings during the program. Feelings I feel () are very important to monitor in a training log. You want a program that makes you feel strong and confident and not always feeling you are being run into the ground.

My opinion is to test it and try something else for fun. One program isn't the holy grail. I had three programs in my playing days that I mixed and matched for certain times during season, off season ,etc. Variety is the spice of life in everything including weight lifting.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 08:44 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Racki View Post
Boys, if what you want is cardio while lifting, please do yourself a favor and go to www.crossfit.com I have been pimping this website on every one of these "workout" threads for the last several months, and I don't see that anyone has taken me up on it. Just go and do it for one week, then tell me what you think. Please.
Bumping this to say that I concur. Crossfit has changed my life.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote