HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT - MLB - Expos

Old
10-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I feel awefull for the Cubs fans, not the team, they beat themselves a few nights ago(too many errors), I suppose we have to continue to talk about breaking the curse in year 101 now, if they ever break this terrible curse, we will party at my little place in Lachine...For sure seems by then, we will be back in the major leagues(Montreal, I've set 2013 as a date, please don't stop watching baseball, It's Montreal's summer game.....for sure!), quality takes time...We will be back!

Last edited by Player 61: 10-05-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 03:52 PM
nnynetpotato

My hope would be Red Sox-Dodgers.

Because I wanna hear Fenway boo the **** out of Manny.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Player 61
#Winning

With the Cubs out again!!! This is what I'm hoping for...This would be serious more entertainment than any new movie out!!!!

Wow! jeeze, BoSox/Dodgers, huge match up! I gotta tell you guys though, huge piece of my heart on that T-Bay team, the Rays remind me of the Expos....a bit.

Old
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Im a Red Sox fan, everyone knows that, and I too want to see the Bosox and Dodgers go at it.

HOWEVER, If the Rays make the world series, i will not be mad.
NOONE gave these guys a chance to start the year and all year they said they will come back to earth. If they get to the WS through my red sox, I really hope they take it all!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Player 61
#Winning

We will keep an eyeball on the playoffs for sure, I'm also a Red Sox fan, I remember my grandfather talking about the Yaz! I actually even have a Red Sox magnet on the fridge next to the Habs & Expos one....that holds up the garbage/recycle sked...

But if the Rays stretch it, I'll support them & maybe hunt down a Rays magnet as well....LOL

Old
10-06-2008, 03:42 PM
7th Player

I'm a Red Sox Fan too...
But this year, I'm rooting for the DODGERS!
Russel Martin, Manny R, Joe Torre

Also, I feel really bad for the CUBS, How long has it been since they won a playoff game at home???
They had a good team... too bad

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
I'm a Red Sox Fan too...
But this year, I'm rooting for the DODGERS!
Russel Martin, Manny R, Joe Torre

Also, I feel really bad for the CUBS, How long has it been since they won a playoff game at home???
They had a good team... too bad
Cubs fans have to be the best fans of any team in any sport, nobody left that stadium when they were down 10-1 in Chicago, they support that team through thick & thin...win or lose...I think they are the best fans in the world.

Old
10-06-2008, 03:49 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Cubs fans have to be the best fans of any team in any sport, nobody left that stadium when they were down 10-1 in Chicago, they support that team through thick & thin...win or lose...I think they are the best fans in the world.
They are certainly better than the Habs fans at the bell center who are booing their team in a pre season game (loss)

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
They are certainly better than the Habs fans at the bell center who are booing their team in a pre season game (loss)
I know it's tough & classless, funny how you just want to shake a persons hand wearing a Cubs cap & I understand why the CH is not respected in other cities in North America, still Montreal is my team for life. Personnaly, I'm not going to Fenway this year for my summer trip, decided that maybe in August, that I will go to Chicago & sit with these strong minded people, even if just only for one game...They inspire me....

Old
10-06-2008, 05:54 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Steve Bartman might disagree!

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Those Rays are up 5 - 2 ...who woulda thunk... Major fall pumpkin team...WOW!

Edit: new score...
You can't throw a change up to a slugger like Pena...6 - 2 Rays...

Last edited by Player 61: 10-06-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Tampa advances to the ALCS....Official, they now have a chance to win the world series...

Old
10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Russeltown

Way To Go Rays!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Tampa have been my favourite AL team for a while (Carl Crawford is a beast!), so I'm really glad to see them do well.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:33 PM
speed11

man, **** the bo-sox >:O

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Tough ride now, I`m not sure which guys I will go for, I remember winning a championship when I played 1st base for an underdog team the Dorval Beavers...We won that year 10 years ago, I might be having to go for that Rays team...Whata performance by Sonnanstine.....Hope It`s OK to still talk Ball on yhis forum, we will get our team back in 10 years or so....For sure!

Old
10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Tough ride now, I`m not sure which guys I will go for, I remember winning a championship when I played 1st base for an underdog team the Dorval Beavers...We won that year 10 years ago, I might be having to go for that Rays team...Whata performance by Sonnanstine.....Hope It`s OK to still talk Ball on yhis forum, we will get our team back in 10 years or so....For sure!
I think I'm going Rays too. I heard Melnick make a comment about Vladimir yesterday when talking with Elliot Friedman. EF was saying how Vladi is showing a lot of wear and tear, whether it's injuries, poor conditionning, whatever.

Melnick made a comment that I've always kind of thought that VG has never learned to be a complete player. He has the tools of a complete player but wasn't developed properly. He was never held accountable for hitting cutoff men, following simple rules of baserunning, situational hitting etc.

I tend to look at Alou. When Vladi hit the bigs, Alou would get very Zen and wax poetc about how he compared with Clemente and how great talents needed to be left alone to blossom. I don't think that in his formative MLB years, he was forced to play within the fundamnetals of the game and he's the worse for it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Definitely going for the Rays!

And Vlad does look ridiculously different compared to when he was here...he played the game so recklessly here (is that even a word? you know what I mean) and on that awful Big Owe turf/cement and now he's paying the price. He's only ''32'' but he seems like a 42 year old.

that play last night early the game when there was a little grounder to the 2nd baseman, that lots of runners would have beaten out, and Vlad didn't even come close to doing it was sad. That's not the guy who was awesome here in all kinds of facets.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Definitely going for the Rays!

And Vlad does look ridiculously different compared to when he was here...he played the game so recklessly here (is that even a word? you know what I mean) and on that awful Big Owe turf/cement and now he's paying the price. He's only ''32'' but he seems like a 42 year old.

that play last night early the game when there was a little grounder to the 2nd baseman, that lots of runners would have beaten out, and Vlad didn't even come close to doing it was sad. That's not the guy who was awesome here in all kinds of facets.
Marc I think that when a guy starts to wear down, he can use knowledge of the game to compebsate and he doesn't have that to fall back on. Outfielders with bad arms compensate by hitting cutoff men or working on their release. As speed declines they can still be good baserunners, I get the feeling that he has no framework to fall back on at this point.

I was a big Larry Walker fan becuase he took care of this stuff, had great instincts for the game, which is impressive conidering he didn't come from a baseball 12 months a year background.

Old
10-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Yes! recklessly is a word that Vlad developed in Baseball on the Island of Montreal. See we still have roots, the guy swung at everything when he was here & got away with it...

I also agree he looks a little aged now, still probably one of the greatest swingers to hit balls on the Island of Montreal....

Old
10-07-2008, 06:53 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Yes! recklessly is a word that Vlad developed in Baseball on the Island of Montreal. See we still have roots, the guy swung at everything when he was here & got away with it...

I also agree he looks a little aged now, still probably one of the greatest swingers to hit balls on the Island of Montreal....
hell, he hit them off the island, or would've if the roof opened.

Old
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
The fact that he swings at everything must drive his coaches crazy. Heck, it drives me crazy! His at-bats in these playoffs were extremely frustrating; look at a few pitches...let the pitcher toss a few...all it does is bring his pitch count up. Nothing wrong with that. Wait for your pitch, wait for a mistake...but nooooo...he swung at anything and everything.

But in hindsight, I shouldn't be complaining; I'm just like that when I play softball. 5 feet out of the strike zone? You can bet I'll be swinging away.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:22 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
The fact that he swings at everything must drive his coaches crazy. Heck, it drives me crazy! His at-bats in these playoffs were extremely frustrating; look at a few pitches...let the pitcher toss a few...all it does is bring his pitch count up. Nothing wrong with that. Wait for your pitch, wait for a mistake...but nooooo...he swung at anything and everything.

But in hindsight, I shouldn't be complaining; I'm just like that when I play softball. 5 feet out of the strike zone? You can bet I'll be swinging away.
I played softball with a guy for years, who like me, would talk about the game for as long as someone would listen. I remember lining out on a high pitch. Thighs to eyes was my strike zone, if I could gauge speed, I was ok. Only on occasion would I work the count, maybe if the pitcher was obviously wild.

This guy came up to me and said, 'you know, that pitch you went on was in your eyes' 'Yeah, I know, I like them high', 'but it wasn't a strike', 'who cares, I hit that pitch'
That arguement can go on forever. With Vladi, and don't get me wrong, I loved watching him, it isn't knowledge of the strike zone, it's the game itself. Not throwing thru when there's no play, reading the play when running the bases, just stuff that the best players should know. I've always thought that he was treated as a prodigy when he came into the league and wasn't developed by the same rules that other players were, and he suffered because of it.

Old
10-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

remember one game where Vlad hit a pitch at his toes and knocked it out of the park...

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 08:35 AM
7th Player

DID ANYBODY SEE THE COMEBACK??!!
JUST WOW!

After 7-0, I was sure it was over so I switched to Sportscenter & 110% ().
I went back to check and it was 7-6 when COCO CRISP tied it!

Biggest comeback in 80 years!

Amazing!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote