HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT - MLB - Expos

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2008, 03:33 PM
  #326
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I feel awefull for the Cubs fans, not the team, they beat themselves a few nights ago(too many errors), I suppose we have to continue to talk about breaking the curse in year 101 now, if they ever break this terrible curse, we will party at my little place in Lachine...For sure seems by then, we will be back in the major leagues(Montreal, I've set 2013 as a date, please don't stop watching baseball, It's Montreal's summer game.....for sure!), quality takes time...We will be back!


Last edited by Player 61: 10-05-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 03:52 PM
  #327
nnynetpotato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
My hope would be Red Sox-Dodgers.


Because I wanna hear Fenway boo the **** out of Manny.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 03:55 PM
  #328
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
With the Cubs out again!!! This is what I'm hoping for...This would be serious more entertainment than any new movie out!!!!

Wow! jeeze, BoSox/Dodgers, huge match up! I gotta tell you guys though, huge piece of my heart on that T-Bay team, the Rays remind me of the Expos....a bit.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
  #329
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,592
vCash: 50
Im a Red Sox fan, everyone knows that, and I too want to see the Bosox and Dodgers go at it.

HOWEVER, If the Rays make the world series, i will not be mad.
NOONE gave these guys a chance to start the year and all year they said they will come back to earth. If they get to the WS through my red sox, I really hope they take it all!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
  #330
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
We will keep an eyeball on the playoffs for sure, I'm also a Red Sox fan, I remember my grandfather talking about the Yaz! I actually even have a Red Sox magnet on the fridge next to the Habs & Expos one....that holds up the garbage/recycle sked...

But if the Rays stretch it, I'll support them & maybe hunt down a Rays magnet as well....LOL

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:42 PM
  #331
7th Player
Registered User
 
7th Player's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
I'm a Red Sox Fan too...
But this year, I'm rooting for the DODGERS!
Russel Martin, Manny R, Joe Torre

Also, I feel really bad for the CUBS, How long has it been since they won a playoff game at home???
They had a good team... too bad

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:46 PM
  #332
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
I'm a Red Sox Fan too...
But this year, I'm rooting for the DODGERS!
Russel Martin, Manny R, Joe Torre

Also, I feel really bad for the CUBS, How long has it been since they won a playoff game at home???
They had a good team... too bad
Cubs fans have to be the best fans of any team in any sport, nobody left that stadium when they were down 10-1 in Chicago, they support that team through thick & thin...win or lose...I think they are the best fans in the world.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:49 PM
  #333
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Cubs fans have to be the best fans of any team in any sport, nobody left that stadium when they were down 10-1 in Chicago, they support that team through thick & thin...win or lose...I think they are the best fans in the world.
They are certainly better than the Habs fans at the bell center who are booing their team in a pre season game (loss)

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
  #334
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
They are certainly better than the Habs fans at the bell center who are booing their team in a pre season game (loss)
I know it's tough & classless, funny how you just want to shake a persons hand wearing a Cubs cap & I understand why the CH is not respected in other cities in North America, still Montreal is my team for life. Personnaly, I'm not going to Fenway this year for my summer trip, decided that maybe in August, that I will go to Chicago & sit with these strong minded people, even if just only for one game...They inspire me....

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:54 PM
  #335
CTHabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
They are certainly better than the Habs fans at the bell center who are booing their team in a pre season game (loss)
Steve Bartman might disagree!

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 06:16 PM
  #336
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Those Rays are up 5 - 2 ...who woulda thunk... Major fall pumpkin team...WOW!


Edit: new score...
You can't throw a change up to a slugger like Pena...6 - 2 Rays...


Last edited by Player 61: 10-06-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
  #337
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Tampa advances to the ALCS....Official, they now have a chance to win the world series...

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
  #338
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
Way To Go Rays!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
  #339
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,117
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Tampa have been my favourite AL team for a while (Carl Crawford is a beast!), so I'm really glad to see them do well.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:33 PM
  #340
speed11
Registered User
 
speed11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country:
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 500
man, **** the bo-sox >:O

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:35 PM
  #341
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Tough ride now, I`m not sure which guys I will go for, I remember winning a championship when I played 1st base for an underdog team the Dorval Beavers...We won that year 10 years ago, I might be having to go for that Rays team...Whata performance by Sonnanstine.....Hope It`s OK to still talk Ball on yhis forum, we will get our team back in 10 years or so....For sure!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
  #342
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Tough ride now, I`m not sure which guys I will go for, I remember winning a championship when I played 1st base for an underdog team the Dorval Beavers...We won that year 10 years ago, I might be having to go for that Rays team...Whata performance by Sonnanstine.....Hope It`s OK to still talk Ball on yhis forum, we will get our team back in 10 years or so....For sure!
I think I'm going Rays too. I heard Melnick make a comment about Vladimir yesterday when talking with Elliot Friedman. EF was saying how Vladi is showing a lot of wear and tear, whether it's injuries, poor conditionning, whatever.

Melnick made a comment that I've always kind of thought that VG has never learned to be a complete player. He has the tools of a complete player but wasn't developed properly. He was never held accountable for hitting cutoff men, following simple rules of baserunning, situational hitting etc.

I tend to look at Alou. When Vladi hit the bigs, Alou would get very Zen and wax poetc about how he compared with Clemente and how great talents needed to be left alone to blossom. I don't think that in his formative MLB years, he was forced to play within the fundamnetals of the game and he's the worse for it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 08:57 AM
  #343
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,976
vCash: 597
Definitely going for the Rays!

And Vlad does look ridiculously different compared to when he was here...he played the game so recklessly here (is that even a word? you know what I mean) and on that awful Big Owe turf/cement and now he's paying the price. He's only ''32'' but he seems like a 42 year old.

that play last night early the game when there was a little grounder to the 2nd baseman, that lots of runners would have beaten out, and Vlad didn't even come close to doing it was sad. That's not the guy who was awesome here in all kinds of facets.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
  #344
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Definitely going for the Rays!

And Vlad does look ridiculously different compared to when he was here...he played the game so recklessly here (is that even a word? you know what I mean) and on that awful Big Owe turf/cement and now he's paying the price. He's only ''32'' but he seems like a 42 year old.

that play last night early the game when there was a little grounder to the 2nd baseman, that lots of runners would have beaten out, and Vlad didn't even come close to doing it was sad. That's not the guy who was awesome here in all kinds of facets.
Marc I think that when a guy starts to wear down, he can use knowledge of the game to compebsate and he doesn't have that to fall back on. Outfielders with bad arms compensate by hitting cutoff men or working on their release. As speed declines they can still be good baserunners, I get the feeling that he has no framework to fall back on at this point.

I was a big Larry Walker fan becuase he took care of this stuff, had great instincts for the game, which is impressive conidering he didn't come from a baseball 12 months a year background.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 04:27 PM
  #345
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Yes! recklessly is a word that Vlad developed in Baseball on the Island of Montreal. See we still have roots, the guy swung at everything when he was here & got away with it...

I also agree he looks a little aged now, still probably one of the greatest swingers to hit balls on the Island of Montreal....

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:53 PM
  #346
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Yes! recklessly is a word that Vlad developed in Baseball on the Island of Montreal. See we still have roots, the guy swung at everything when he was here & got away with it...

I also agree he looks a little aged now, still probably one of the greatest swingers to hit balls on the Island of Montreal....
hell, he hit them off the island, or would've if the roof opened.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 07:30 PM
  #347
AHF
Registered User
 
AHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AHF
The fact that he swings at everything must drive his coaches crazy. Heck, it drives me crazy! His at-bats in these playoffs were extremely frustrating; look at a few pitches...let the pitcher toss a few...all it does is bring his pitch count up. Nothing wrong with that. Wait for your pitch, wait for a mistake...but nooooo...he swung at anything and everything.

But in hindsight, I shouldn't be complaining; I'm just like that when I play softball. 5 feet out of the strike zone? You can bet I'll be swinging away.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:22 AM
  #348
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
The fact that he swings at everything must drive his coaches crazy. Heck, it drives me crazy! His at-bats in these playoffs were extremely frustrating; look at a few pitches...let the pitcher toss a few...all it does is bring his pitch count up. Nothing wrong with that. Wait for your pitch, wait for a mistake...but nooooo...he swung at anything and everything.

But in hindsight, I shouldn't be complaining; I'm just like that when I play softball. 5 feet out of the strike zone? You can bet I'll be swinging away.
I played softball with a guy for years, who like me, would talk about the game for as long as someone would listen. I remember lining out on a high pitch. Thighs to eyes was my strike zone, if I could gauge speed, I was ok. Only on occasion would I work the count, maybe if the pitcher was obviously wild.

This guy came up to me and said, 'you know, that pitch you went on was in your eyes' 'Yeah, I know, I like them high', 'but it wasn't a strike', 'who cares, I hit that pitch'
That arguement can go on forever. With Vladi, and don't get me wrong, I loved watching him, it isn't knowledge of the strike zone, it's the game itself. Not throwing thru when there's no play, reading the play when running the bases, just stuff that the best players should know. I've always thought that he was treated as a prodigy when he came into the league and wasn't developed by the same rules that other players were, and he suffered because of it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:03 AM
  #349
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Chazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 500
remember one game where Vlad hit a pitch at his toes and knocked it out of the park...

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 08:35 AM
  #350
7th Player
Registered User
 
7th Player's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
DID ANYBODY SEE THE COMEBACK??!!
JUST WOW!

After 7-0, I was sure it was over so I switched to Sportscenter & 110% ().
I went back to check and it was 7-6 when COCO CRISP tied it!

Biggest comeback in 80 years!

Amazing!

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.