HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - MLB - Expos

Old
05-24-2008, 05:48 PM
senrab

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to senrab Send a message via Yahoo to senrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
This makes me very happy. Fold the team. **** Washington.
They have a passionate fanbase but they just don't sell it out. You would think a sparkling new stadium would sell out every game for the first year (like Camden Yards did in Baltimore) but this hasn't been the case. I think it has something to do with the fact that there is almost no parking down there and your only other alternative is to take Metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
whereas DC has lost their teams multiple times and to do so again would only be fitting with their fickle fanbase.
No, they haven't. They only lost a pro sports team in the "Big 4" once, the old Senators. I wish they would have used the Senators nickname but they can't because it's owned by whatever team the Senators became. So they reverted to the old nickname before the Senators, the Nationals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal Huet View Post
No they aren't, but nice try, Go Nats!

Yes they are, nice try. My uncle has them on all the time and it's excruciating to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
seriously!

today is the perfect day to be outside at a ballgame.
It sure is.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-24-2008 at 05:56 PM.
senrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 06:45 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post

They built ugly brown condos instead... Imagine going there on a beautiful day like today, there's no way they wouldn't have had good crowds. Idiots.
The ownership group were double idiots. They wouldn't even pony up a few million on a cash call.

The "winners":

Loria essentially gets the Marlins for free

MLB peddles the Spos/Nats to a group for 400mm plus.

Gee I wonder why MLB screwed us

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 07:00 PM
JrHockeyFan

One of my memorable weekends:

Listened to the Expos game on the radio Friday July 26 '91. They were in LA playing the Dodgers. Mark Gardner pitched no-hit ball through 9 innings. To that point he allowed 2 walks and no runs, but the 'spos could not score a frickin run so it went to extra innings tied zip to zip. Gardner faced two batters and they both singled in the bottom of 10. Fassero came in and gave up a single to Strawberry. A no hitter was not awarded

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...260LAN1991.htm

Two days later on a Sunday afternoon, El Presidente threw his perfect game. I haved that on tape. El Presidente El Perfecto!

Old
05-24-2008, 08:32 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by senrab View Post
They have a passionate fanbase but they just don't sell it out. You would think a sparkling new stadium would sell out every game for the first year (like Camden Yards did in Baltimore) but this hasn't been the case. I think it has something to do with the fact that there is almost no parking down there and your only other alternative is to take Metro.

No, they haven't. They only lost a pro sports team in the "Big 4" once, the old Senators. I wish they would have used the Senators nickname but they can't because it's owned by whatever team the Senators became. So they reverted to the old nickname before the Senators, the Nationals.

Yes they are, nice try. My uncle has them on all the time and it's excruciating to watch.

It sure is.
They left when the were the Senators to become the Minnesota Twins and then the expansion team they were awarded later became the Texas Rangers so once the Spos leave they will lose a THIRD franchise. This is my reference to multiple losers. Little do i care for the "big 4" as you state. Fact is they lost 2 franchises to other cities and may lose a third with luck and some justice.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 08:37 PM
senrab

Quote:
They left when the were the Senators to become the Minnesota Twins and then the expansion team they were awarded later became the Texas Rangers so once the Spos leave they will lose a THIRD franchise. This is my reference to multiple losers. Little do i care for the "big 4" as you state. Fact is they lost 2 franchises to other cities and may lose a third with luck and some justice.
You're right. No need to get testy

Old
05-24-2008, 09:11 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by senrab View Post
You're right. No need to get testy
LOL!! I'm not testy buddy just fooling around!!

I do harbor ill feelings for the Gnats but I know it'll be a cold day in hell before they fold and we get them back. If the Rays can exist with next to zero attendance then so can the gnats.

My only question is why couldn't the Spos exist without attendance? So many people place the blame squarely on the fans not attending yet franchises exist with next to no attendance ala Marlins, Rays and the gnats. How come we got singled out and lost our team? It still bites hard the way we lost our team due to zero corporate support, no ownership to speak of, corruption of the worst league in all of sports run by the most criminal commish of all time and of course fan apathy when confronted by al of the above.

I still hold the lack of attendance the least of the reasons for failure. If any of the many sports available in every single city in the world was confronted with exactly the same circumstances of the demise of the Spos, exactly the same thing would have happened. Attendance failed because of lack of ownership, corruption and lack of conviction. History has shown that a comitted ownership with a goal to win was supported well under Bronfman and that's proof the fans were blameless.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
senrab

Quote:
LOL!! I'm not testy buddy just fooling around!!

I do harbor ill feelings for the Gnats but I know it'll be a cold day in hell before they fold and we get them back. If the Rays can exist with next to zero attendance then so can the gnats.

My only question is why couldn't the Spos exist without attendance? So many people place the blame squarely on the fans not attending yet franchises exist with next to no attendance ala Marlins, Rays and the gnats. How come we got singled out and lost our team? It still bites hard the way we lost our team due to zero corporate support, no ownership to speak of, corruption of the worst league in all of sports run by the most criminal commish of all time and of course fan apathy when confronted by al of the above.

I still hold the lack of attendance the least of the reasons for failure. If any of the many sports available in every single city in the world was confronted with exactly the same circumstances of the demise of the Spos, exactly the same thing would have happened. Attendance failed because of lack of ownership, corruption and lack of conviction. History has shown that a comitted ownership with a goal to win was supported well under Bronfman and that's proof the fans were blameless.
Rodriguez's salary is more than the entire roster of the Florida Marlins

Old
05-25-2008, 03:54 AM
JrHockeyFan

Lots was made about the Expos poor attendance, but at the time that the team was moved the Expos had outdrawn the total attendance for both previous Washington teams. That was > 70 years of DC versus about half the years in Mtl. I wonder if DC has finally caught up?

Just to update:

In 75 years of DC baseball the DC/Twins + the DC/Rangers + the DC/Expos = 40,545,698 attendance

In the 36 years of Expos baseball = 48,749,549 attendance

If their current rate of attendance holds average they should catch us in late 2011. That's only about 79 years versus 36 years

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 05-25-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old
05-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

Two days later on a Sunday afternoon, El Presidente threw his perfect game. I haved that on tape. El Presidente El Perfecto!
Oh man, do I remember that game on RDS with Denis Casavant and Rodger Brulotte? Hell yeah!

Do you remember you was the last out for the Dodgers?

Hint: Brother of one of the best hitters of all time...

Kachino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82 View Post
Oh man, do I remember that game on RDS with Denis Casavant and Rodger Brulotte? Hell yeah!

I remember it was a guy that came off the bench to pinch hit.... a regular dodger starter who wasn't in the lineup that day... but I can't remember his name.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:10 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Chris Gwynn

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:15 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Speaking of the Twins... they lost to Detroit yesterday, 19-3. Bonser gave up 7 HR in 3 innings.

I'm just glad I don't need to ask my dad for any favors today.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I was walking with my GF last night at the old port and saw this crazy ass baby blue classic t-shirt of the Expos.I gotta go back and get it

I miss Nos Amours

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Geremi Gonzalez, who was last with the Jays got hit by a lighting strike in Venezuela & died Sunday, WOW!

MLB Careers are short enough, this makes me think that our Expo's roster in the MLB must be dwindling. Vlad should be one of the last, but it makes me sad to think that in about 10 years, we will have no active players.

Go Wilks!!!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Pascal

The Big O (the big orifice where we keep sinking our money) was an absolutely atrocious building to watch baseball. It felt like sitting in a big concrete cave.

Too bad they didn't build a new stadium, the Expos would still be here.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Kachino
@kachino82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Chris Gwynn
That's right! Did you check online for the answer because you were bored?

Kachino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 12:50 PM
ThaDevilGirl

An old article about "The last Expo"

BTW, I got my Wilkerson bobble head this morning. It's beautiful!

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
BTW, I got my Wilkerson bobble head this morning. It's beautiful!
WOO HOO! If he sticks around next year, I'll probably get one of those black #35 Jerseys. Yes even is he continue to hit like .228. :-)

Old
05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
WOO HOO! If he sticks around next year, I'll probably get one of those black #35 Jerseys. Yes even is he continue to hit like .228. :-)
I wanted an Expos' jersey but it seems like there's only kids size, and only selling in the US. I don't feel like spending over 100$ for a baseball jersey. Do the MLB customize t-shirts? If he stays with the Jays and does well, I might buy one.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 02:19 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82 View Post

taking a bit of a stab at the tip and saying Wilton Guerrero

But now I see from the answers it was Chris Gwynn. Been a bit since I I watched that

Old
05-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Wilkerson on that fateful day...

Old
05-26-2008, 08:25 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Wilkerson on that fateful day...
I always liked that kid

Glad to see he got the grand salami the other day

Old
05-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I was walking with my GF last night at the old port and saw this crazy ass baby blue classic t-shirt of the Expos.I gotta go back and get it

I miss Nos Amours
http://www.amazon.com/Montreal-Expos...1854542&sr=8-1

This one, i assume? I have it.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
7th Player

OT - I miss the EXPOS

Enough about SUNDIN

I'm watching 110%, great show by the way , and they're reminiscing about the EXPOS.

I remember the good old days when we would go to the big O and it would be hot dog night.

I miss Roger screaming, BONSOIR ELLE EST PARTIE

I miss Vlady Guererro, Henri RODRIGUEZ AKA OH HENRY, RONDELL WHITE, MOISES ALOU, LARRY WALKER, MARQUIS GRISSOM, PEDRO, DUSTIN HERMANSON, UGETH URBINA

Its a shame that there is no baseball club here anymore, **screw Jeffrey Loria***, it was a great summer past time, now we're forced to watch the JAYS.

If you miss the Expos, what are your memories?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG5OJUNY1MY

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Garo

I miss Guerrero and Vidro, aside from that... wasn't even close to interested at a time.

Might be a shame.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote