HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers CHL prospects season review

Old
05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
sabrefan27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Ah - the date that was bandied about here was December 5th as the cutoff date.
Nope. December 31st.

And anyway, I doubt they'd sign him, then leave him in juniors for 2 more seasons. That wouldn't make any sense.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Nope. December 31st.

And anyway, I doubt they'd sign him, then leave him in juniors for 2 more seasons. That wouldn't make any sense.
Hence my suggestion of keeping him up with the big club next season...but if he's eligible for the minors, all the better. Presuming Frolik gets signed we'll be able to put him, Repik, and Matthias on a line together in Rochester.

If it weren't for the question marks on defense, you guys would have quite the team to look forward to in Rochester next season.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:44 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Hence my suggestion of keeping him up with the big club next season...but if he's eligible for the minors, all the better. Presuming Frolik gets signed we'll be able to put him, Repik, and Matthias on a line together in Rochester.

If it weren't for the question marks on defense, you guys would have quite the team to look forward to in Rochester next season.
I'm not too concerned about the defense. With Lojek possibly heading off to Europe, Florida will have to sign a couple AHL vets for Rochester. Unless they want Peter Aston as their first call up, and I doubt that.

The real key to Rochester next season is a veteran goalie. Plante is fine as a backup, but he showed he's not ready to start yet.

Old
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Now I don't follow Florida that closely, so my numbers may be off. But assuming Olesz and Campbell get contracts, that gives the team 14 forwards. Unless a few guys get unloaded and the team signs no one during free agency, I see no room for any of them to make the team anyway.
Quote:
The statuses of Peltonen and Stumpel are in question this summer, and I think maybe one other but I'm not sure.
Yeah, Stumpel, Peltonen, and possibly Dvorak's futures with the team are in question. I see Pelts making the team as he's been doing a lot of the little things right since his injury, but I'll be surprised if Stumpel's back. Dvorak was supposedly available at the deadline, so I imagine he's still available.

05-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
I'm not too concerned about the defense. With Lojek possibly heading off to Europe, Florida will have to sign a couple AHL vets for Rochester. Unless they want Peter Aston as their first call up, and I doubt that.

The real key to Rochester next season is a veteran goalie. Plante is fine as a backup, but he showed he's not ready to start yet.
First I'd heard Lojek is possibly going to Europe, why's he going to do that? More time in Europe?

Last edited by Laus723: 05-19-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: mis-spell...
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Anod

Quote:

I am going to assume that Plante and Shantz will fight for the starter role in Rochester and Florida would bring in other goalie prospects for the Florida Everblades.

If Florida decides to take on the whole Amerks team our goalies will definitely get the playing time. I'm sure this would be negotiated in whatever agreement is made between the teams.

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 04:10 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anod View Post
I am going to assume that Plante and Shantz will fight for the starter role in Rochester and Florida would bring in other goalie prospects for the Florida Everblades.

If Florida decides to take on the whole Amerks team our goalies will definitely get the playing time. I'm sure this would be negotiated in whatever agreement is made between the teams.
Plante will be in Rochester, Shantz will be with the Everblades and a veteran goalie will likely be signed to be the starter in Rochester. I'm fairly positive it'll shake out like that.

Old
05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

2 Goals including the game-winner tonight for Belleville.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Repik is eligible for the AHL next season.
Nope. I'm 99.9% certain the cut-off date is December 1st. Read the article, even. He either has to play in juniors next season or in the NHL.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 11:58 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Nope. I'm 99.9% certain the cut-off date is December 1st. Read the article, even. He either has to play in juniors next season or in the NHL.
It says December 31st on the AHL forum here, and just from memory, I'm pretty sure it's the 31st. I can get confirmation on that tomorrow.

Old
05-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
It says December 31st on the AHL forum here, and just from memory, I'm pretty sure it's the 31st. I can get confirmation on that tomorrow.
Please do, because there was another HF article on our prospects a couple months back that said that Repik isn't AHL eligible next year.

Old
05-20-2008, 12:16 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Please do, because there was another HF article on our prospects a couple months back that said that Repik isn't AHL eligible next year.
Doesn't make it correct. I can even give an example. Marek Zagrapan.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=71297

Turned 20 on December 6th.

Old
05-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Doesn't make it correct. I can even give an example. Marek Zagrapan.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=71297

Turned 20 on December 6th.
Oh yeah, I'm sure they make mistakes too, even though they're usually pretty good with that stuff. They seem convinced he's not AHL eligible next year, though.

Old
05-20-2008, 12:22 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm sure they make mistakes too, even though they're usually pretty good with that stuff. They seem convinced he's not AHL eligible next year, though.
Well, I'm pretty sure they got that one wrong. Zagrapan turned 20 after the cutoff you suggested, so the only other date I've ever heard of is the 31st, and that's when Repik turns 20.

Old
05-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty sure they got that one wrong. Zagrapan turned 20 after the cutoff you suggested, so the only other date I've ever heard of is the 31st, and that's when Repik turns 20.
I guess he's eligible then. Thanks.

Old
05-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
This HFBoards discussion:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=13964189&postcount=2

which is sourced from the QMJHL page linked here:
http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index.php?page=29546424

would support your contention that the cutoff is indeed Dec. 31.

Old
05-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Anod

Quote:
Plante will be in Rochester, Shantz will be with the Everblades and a veteran goalie will likely be signed to be the starter in Rochester. I'm fairly positive it'll shake out like that.

Why would the panthers invest there money in a franchise if they were not given the opportunity to develop there goalies there. It makes no sense. What is the use of having Plante sit on the bench in Rochester.

Unless the panthers have lost confidence in Shantz/Plante and trade for or sign another prospective goalie. I am going to assume this is what plays out.

David Shantz, Tyler Plante, Sergei Gayduchenko, Brian Foster & Marc Cheverie fight for 4 spots on the Rochester Amerks and Florida Everblades team. And I will assume they would put Shantz and Plante in a position to fight for the starting job in Rochester UNLESS they feel that they want both Plante and Shantz to start more often and have one starting often on each team.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the Panthers want Rochester to succeed BUT first and foremost they need rochester to develop there players. I am sure the panthers will sign some veteran talent at the forward and defensive positions to help Rochester succeed but there is not enough goaltender playing time to go around and I am sure the panthers will put a good veteran goaltending coach in place to provide veteran goaltending assistance.

Old
05-20-2008, 12:10 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Why would the panthers invest there money in a franchise if they were not given the opportunity to develop there goalies there. It makes no sense. What is the use of having Plante sit on the bench in Rochester.

Unless the panthers have lost confidence in Shantz/Plante and trade for or sign another prospective goalie. I am going to assume this is what plays out.

David Shantz, Tyler Plante, Sergei Gayduchenko, Brian Foster & Marc Cheverie fight for 4 spots on the Rochester Amerks and Florida Everblades team. And I will assume they would put Shantz and Plante in a position to fight for the starting job in Rochester UNLESS they feel that they want both Plante and Shantz to start more often and have one starting often on each team.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the Panthers want Rochester to succeed BUT first and foremost they need rochester to develop there players. I am sure the panthers will sign some veteran talent at the forward and defensive positions to help Rochester succeed but there is not enough goaltender playing time to go around and I am sure the panthers will put a good veteran goaltending coach in place to provide veteran goaltending assistance.
Just take my word for it. Plante and Shantz clearly showed they are not capable AHL starters last season. And having an AHL veteran work with Plante is more beneficial than you think.

The other 3 goalies you mentioned will not turn pro, so they won't be fighting for any spots on any teams. The Everblades need a goalie and the Amerks need two. So where's the other one coming from? A free agent veteran goalie. And he'll likely be the starter at first. Plante will be the backup, unless he wins the job.

Old
05-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Just take my word for it. Plante and Shantz clearly showed they are not capable AHL starters last season. And having an AHL veteran work with Plante is more beneficial than you think.

The other 3 goalies you mentioned will not turn pro, so they won't be fighting for any spots on any teams. The Everblades need a goalie and the Amerks need two. So where's the other one coming from? A free agent veteran goalie. And he'll likely be the starter at first. Plante will be the backup, unless he wins the job.
I'd rather see them get an FA goalie, too. Nothing wrong with competition, it's healthy.

You don't think Gayduchenko will be pro?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 12:43 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'd rather see them get an FA goalie, too. Nothing wrong with competition, it's healthy.

You don't think Gayduchenko will be pro?
Not for this season coming up.

Old
05-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
David Shantz, Tyler Plante, Sergei Gayduchenko, Brian Foster & Marc Cheverie fight for 4 spots on the Rochester Amerks and Florida Everblades team.
It's actually 3 spots - Carolina I'm certain is guaranteed one spot on the Everblades since it's a shared affiliation (and Carolina seems to be the dominant affiliate).

Old
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
The other 3 goalies you mentioned will not turn pro,
Are you sure on that? Foster graduated from UNH this year and though he was only a backup, he had fairly decent numbers and should get a look as a pro.

What's the deadline to sign him, anyway? August 15?

Old
05-20-2008, 01:37 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Are you sure on that? Foster graduated from UNH this year and though he was only a backup, he had fairly decent numbers and should get a look as a pro.

He only just finished his second year at UNH? He didn't graduate did he?

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 01:38 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:

Foster just completed his sophomore season. I doubt he'd get a look until at least after his junior year.

Old
05-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Anod

Quote:
Foster just completed his sophomore season. I doubt he'd get a look until at least after his junior year.
If none of our prospects make the team they will just sign somebody to sit on the bench for the Amerks while Shantz or Plante split time with Carolina's prospect for the Everblades.

all i am saying is that it is counterproductive to consistently start someone in the minors if there is no chance of him playing for the Panthers.

If Jacques Martin has lost confidence in Plante/Shantz, (I doubt he has because JM is a very patient man) he will definitely search the free agent market for somebody better but I don't think he will because Plante hasn't been given enough of a chance. I also think he will give Shantz one last chance to prove himself.

I have not watched any of the Amerks games but I am going to assume that there defense was horrible last year because Jacques Martin didn't call up any of there defenseman last year. I am willing to bet we will stock you guys up with veteran defenseman so Jacques has a better idea of how good Plante or Shantz is. Plus he will want a veteran to work alongside Ellerby, who will likely be an Amerk next year.