HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers CHL prospects season review

Old
05-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Not for this season coming up.
I see what you're saying now, I thought you were saying ever.

05-20-2008, 02:17 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anod View Post
If none of our prospects make the team they will just sign somebody to sit on the bench for the Amerks while Shantz or Plante split time with Carolina's prospect for the Everblades.

all i am saying is that it is counterproductive to consistently start someone in the minors if there is no chance of him playing for the Panthers.

If Jacques Martin has lost confidence in Plante/Shantz, (I doubt he has because JM is a very patient man) he will definitely search the free agent market for somebody better but I don't think he will because Plante hasn't been given enough of a chance. I also think he will give Shantz one last chance to prove himself.

I have not watched any of the Amerks games but I am going to assume that there defense was horrible last year because Jacques Martin didn't call up any of there defenseman last year. I am willing to bet we will stock you guys up with veteran defenseman so Jacques has a better idea of how good Plante or Shantz is. Plus he will want a veteran to work alongside Ellerby, who will likely be an Amerk next year.
So why did the Panthers get Craig Anderson 2 years ago? Shantz would have battled for the starting position on the Amerks. Instead, Anderson was brought in, and Shantz was instead sent down to the Everblades where he only started 25 games. Anderson was not in the teams plans at that point as he was looking like a career AHLer.

It doesn't matter anyway, because someone in a very high position with the Amerks told me Florida assured the Amerks of a veteran goalie.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Anod

After looking a little bit deeper in the prospect pool, they will probably have to find another goalie unless Gayduchenko wants to join the panthers next year rather than play in the russian super league.

Still they will probably either trade for or find a free agent prospect that still has a chance to make it at the NHL level. Jacques Martin has a lot to do this offseason and finding another goalie for the minor league system will probably be something he does.

I guess your right about the 3 other goalies, they are all quite young or unproven. But I still think they are going to give Plante and Shantz another chance at the AHL level to prove themselves.

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
sabrefan27

No, they are going to go out and sign a minor league veteran. Whoever it is will be able to give the Amerks a solid starter, while working with Plante to make him better.

Old
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Anod

Quote:
No, they are going to go out and sign a minor league veteran. Whoever it is will be able to give the Amerks a solid starter, while working with Plante to make him better.
You seem so sure of yourself. Nothing is a guarantee. You guys are definitely going to see a totally different team next year without the sabres. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, who knows. But lets just agree to disagree on this one. If I knew you I would bet you $5 that either plante or shantz will start primarily next year or they will split the duties. We will have to wait and see. But you never know. If Olli jokinen gets traded or somebody else on the Panthers team, we could see another prospect come our way. Maybe Plante or Shantz gets traded with another goalie coming back. There is a lot of scenarios that could happen but whatever happens the best interests of the Florida Panthers will be considered.

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 02:47 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
You seem so sure of yourself. Nothing is a guarantee. You guys are definitely going to see a totally different team next year without the sabres. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, who knows. But lets just agree to disagree on this one. If I knew you I would bet you $5 that either plante or shantz will start primarily next year or they will split the duties. We will have to wait and see. But you never know. If Olli jokinen gets traded or somebody else on the Panthers team, we could see another prospect come our way. Maybe Plante or Shantz gets traded with another goalie coming back. There is a lot of scenarios that could happen but whatever happens the best interests of the Florida Panthers will be considered.
Yes, I am very sure of myself.

A. It's the only logical decision for Florida to make.

B. They told the Amerks a vet goalie would be signed.

So I'd be very shocked if one wasn't signed. If you want to continue to disagree, be my guest.

Old
05-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
There aren't a whole lot of people who know more about Rochester than Sabrefan. While the team could bring in a prospective goalie through trade, either way they'll have a different goalie in there and not both Plante and Shantz. Doesn't make sense for them to. It doesn't help prospects if they're not winning or at least have that kind of atmosphere.

Nothing wrong with competition. I'm not really sure what's being argued here.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 04:51 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Yes, I am very sure of myself.

A. It's the only logical decision for Florida to make.

B. They told the Amerks a vet goalie would be signed.

So I'd be very shocked if one wasn't signed. If you want to continue to disagree, be my guest.
+1. Why the hell would we trade Plante or Shantz for a veteran when we can easily just sign one to an AHL contract when you know there will be plenty of solid AHL goalies available?

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote