HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sigh...I'm so sick of Idiots in Adult Leagues...

Old
05-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Raoul Duke*

vCash: 500
I agree, two of my teammates one night showed up hammered drunk which whatever that's their call. But then one of them started running people like he was Claude Lemieux, so him and the other guy tried picking fights. I'm back on the blueline and figured they deserve what they get and I just stood there.
Then they had the nerve to call me out after saying I was a ***** for not backing them up.

Joined another team the next day. Good group of guys this time.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Congo

Man, I feel for you guys, but I'm also finding a new problem with my team. First off, I should specify that I'm 18 and haven't played in five years or so. I basically stopped playing so I could focus more on lacrosse and on school. This worked out well. I'm going to university now, and I had a couple of try-outs for US college teams before I ran into concussion trouble. A side effect of how much time I took off when coupled with the concussions is that I'm a pretty terrible skater, but I work around it.

So, anyways, I'm playing in an inline league in Calgary. Lowest tier. The recreational tier.

My team is pretty bad. We've won one singular game. We've had some pretty terrible losses. Now, I assumed that guys would laugh about it, or generally try to be positive or something. Instead, aside from myself and three other guys, the rest of the team yells at the goalie "Make a ****ing save!" and "I should just ****ing leave!" Then they start cheering for the other team, and mocking everyone aside from themselves. One time I tried to toss a water-bottle to someone, and it glanced off a wall onto a rink. I went out and tried to wipe up as much as possible. They decided to throw the wet towels at the back of my head. Now, don't get me wrong, we pulled some stuff like that in lacrosse, but it was all done in a camraderie, friendly manner.

So, basically I paid a good chunk of change so a bunch of 30+ year old grown men can b**** about how much they suck, and then listen to them b**** about everyone else. I'm honestly considering just quitting and coming back next year, asking for a different team.

Is this standard fare for beer league teams? Is that what I have to look forward to?

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 03:04 PM
stick9

Major reason why I no longer play adult league hockey. Too many heroes with attitudes.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 03:43 PM
lotus

Problem here is that everyone is way too proud. They would rather slash your ankles than have you beat them. I got absolutely destroyed last night going to the net off the rush, (didnt have the puck) and a guy comes out of nowhere and blindsides me, knocked me clean head over heels. He got called only because my bench was screaming, but alas, the guy would rather blindside someone half his size in a no contact league, away from the puck, than let him try to screen the goalie.

I'm sure if I asked him, he would say he was just clearing the front of the net. But he really threw his body into me bad.

In open hockey a few weeks ago I pulled a little moev on th is older guy and as I'm past him, I felt his stick blade get actually into my pants, and then i was hauled down so hard that I hit my head on the ice. I've had worse happen than these two, but that's just the way it is here. People play like they really have something to prove.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I think part of it has to do with fighting being a generally accepted thing in hockey. So people feel that it's ok to do it. I doubt you see all this crap in basketball, soccer, football, and baseball leagues.
well, i mean most adult leagues get somewhat competetive. In our Sunday baseball league we got in 2 fights in a total of 8 games, it wasn't any of my friends just some hot headed people. We play indoor soccer as well, and get in scrums nearly evey game. Our Sunday night adult league softball team got in 2 pushing matches, but both times with the same team in our 10 game season.

The point is, you are always gonna have stupidass people trying to prove that they are the best like we really care. Then they talk ****, and when you do something good you jaw back and they freak out. In my experiance, it's always people in their mid 30's who used to be something big or think they are something big. (Not trying to stereotype here either.)

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

The thing most people forget is that they're paying to play, not the other way around. People expect perfection and professional-style play from everyone on their team... at least, in my experience.

I can't count how many times I've gotten in shoving matches with asshats who think they can play Pronger on my kidneys when I'm in front of the net.

Seriously, it's a REC LEAGUE. Nobody's getting paid, and 95% of the guys (and girls) have to go to work in the morning. I think if the organizers of the leagues actually took that into consideration and didn't try to make all of them into mini-NHLs, things would be a lot different.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 04:52 PM
nexusrage21

I love adult hockey. I looked in the mirror some mornings and seen full stick marks across my chest.

I'm a bigger guy who skates decently well, so it seems like refs allow a lot more to be done to me than other people. I understand it though, but I used to get so mad about it.

I basically play in a league where, the "we can do it to you, but don't even think about doing it to us" rule is in place. Teams will play dirty with us, and then guys on our team will start doing the same and it escalates.

And honestly I've been in a few fights because of it, usually sticking up for a teammate, save for one time when two guys on the other team jumped me (I think they thought that I did something dirty to their teammate, but he really just skated into me and fell over). But I don't want to fight, when they happen I usually just tie up the other guys arms and make sure he understands that he made a bad decision. I won't throw a punch unless I absolutely have to, and that's rare.

I do find though that a lot of the time, people either go after your good players because they arepissed they aren't as good, or they go after your bad players to make themselves feel better. It is pretty sad.

Also does anyone else have the problem of the refs basically letting things go because they want the game to go quicker so they can go home, because I definitely get that feeling some nights.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 04:54 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
I can deal with the trash talking in an adult league because people are competitive which is human nature. But once you start playing outside of the rules of the game, and forget that everyone for the most part has to go to work the next day, it gets ridiculous. I never understood people fighting in some of the adult leagues I was in where people have to wear cages? They then drop the gloves...guess they want to try and break their own hand...

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Everyone has to get up for work the next morning.
Mother ****ing PERIOD

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusrage21 View Post

Also does anyone else have the problem of the refs basically letting things go because they want the game to go quicker so they can go home, because I definitely get that feeling some nights.
Oh yes. They went to the new rules and were calling everything unless it was the last game of the night.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo View Post
Man, I feel for you guys, but I'm also finding a new problem with my team. First off, I should specify that I'm 18 and haven't played in five years or so. I basically stopped playing so I could focus more on lacrosse and on school. This worked out well. I'm going to university now, and I had a couple of try-outs for US college teams before I ran into concussion trouble. A side effect of how much time I took off when coupled with the concussions is that I'm a pretty terrible skater, but I work around it.

So, anyways, I'm playing in an inline league in Calgary. Lowest tier. The recreational tier.

My team is pretty bad. We've won one singular game. We've had some pretty terrible losses. Now, I assumed that guys would laugh about it, or generally try to be positive or something. Instead, aside from myself and three other guys, the rest of the team yells at the goalie "Make a ****ing save!" and "I should just ****ing leave!" Then they start cheering for the other team, and mocking everyone aside from themselves. One time I tried to toss a water-bottle to someone, and it glanced off a wall onto a rink. I went out and tried to wipe up as much as possible. They decided to throw the wet towels at the back of my head. Now, don't get me wrong, we pulled some stuff like that in lacrosse, but it was all done in a camraderie, friendly manner.

So, basically I paid a good chunk of change so a bunch of 30+ year old grown men can b**** about how much they suck, and then listen to them b**** about everyone else. I'm honestly considering just quitting and coming back next year, asking for a different team.

Is this standard fare for beer league teams? Is that what I have to look forward to?
I think you got stuck with a bad bunch. Hopefully you can ignore all the negativity, try to stay positive, and hopefully they will come around. Good Luck.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You guys should come here and play. Our "A" level league might have 3 fights a year and it has the most fights of any of the leagues. Even the lowest level has good natured games. Don't get me wrong, there are some cheap shots but after the games everyone is cool, and no one tries to fight. Face it, if you're fighting in req league hockey, you have issues.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 05:31 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Theres gonna be idiots everywhere you go in life, adult leagues in any sports included.

As a goalie, I obviously dont get into much, but you also have a vision of the entire ice, so you really do get to notice a lot. I have a couple of good friends on my old team where one was a hot head, and one was an adult league Jarkko Ruutu, complete opposites.

Basically my Ruutu type friend wouldnt play cheap at all, but would talk just INSANE amounts of crap to get people off their game, and he is like, REALLY good at it. Some of the stuff he says to people I would just be cracking up in the crease if I happened to hear it. The problem is, it would get SO many people pissed off, and they couldnt take the verbal abuse, and would actually snap and attack him.

One time both of my friends were double teaming a guy verbally on the ice and he snapped and attempted to shoot a puck AT my friends head. He sucked fortunately and ended up hitting him in the chest, causing an actual brawl on the ice pretty much.

He also had a ref actually go after him once too because of things he was saying to him.

I guess it brings up, is it okay to verbally be an ******* if you play it clean on the ice? Like I said I find the crap he says absolutely hilarious, but I also have tough skin and never let words get to me ever, so I enjoy it.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 10:01 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Man, that sucks. The leagues that I play in really push the positive and punishes the negative. Here is an excerpt from the league rule book. (Note how fighting is treated)

9. PENALTIES AND SUSPENSIONS
Minor - 3 Minutes
Major - 7 Minutes (all Major penalties come with an automatic Game Misconduct)
Match 7 Minutes – Immediate Ejection
Misconduct - 10 Minutes in time penalties
Game Misconduct – 10 minutes in time penalties & Immediate Ejection
Game Ejection – Immediate Ejection
Gross Misconduct - 10 minutes in time penalties - Immediate Ejection
A Misconduct in the last ten (10) minutes of the game, or after the conclusion of the game, may result in a MINIMUM ONE GAME SUSPENSION.
a) FIGHTING: WILL RESULT IN A SEASON ENDING SUSPENSION. Fighting has no place in Adult recreational hockey. It is understood that should a player be deemed the instigator or aggressor of a fight and a the opposing player, in an attempt to protect himself engage in a fight, the player deemed as exhibiting the instigating/aggressive action will receive the season ending suspension. This rule does not target players who engage in single blows to the head which would be penalized by a minor and a 10 minute Misconduct or Major and a Game Misconduct for roughing. This is recreational league, and league officials will not tolerate intimidation and revenge on the ice.
b) Any player used as a spare player who engages in a fight and who has not played more than 20% of the games played to the date of the incident will cause the team to forfeit of $100.00 applied against the teams bond and a 3 game suspension will be applied against the team representative.
c) Any players receiving Majors, Misconducts, Game & Gross Misconducts, Game Ejections and Match penalties (all of which require write-ups by the officials) will have their actions reviewed by the disciplinary committee. The committee may assess additional suspensions, or request bonds, depending upon the penalty and the player’s history.
d) Any player receiving three minor penalties during the same game will be ejected. Any player being ejected for three minors for the third time may be subjected to disciplinary action by the league.
e) No player may serve another team member’s penalty except in the following situation:
i) A penalty assessed to the goalie (player on the ice at the time of infraction).
ii) A penalty assessed to a player having been ejected form the game (players may rotate from the bench to the penalty box when serving an ejected player’s penalty(s).
iii) Any minor penalty assessed to a player having to leave the game because of an injury.
f) Any altercation in the hallway, or in dressing rooms between opposing teams or between players will result in a MINIMUM FIVE GAME SUSPENSION.
g) Any player engaging the officials after the conclusion of the game off the ice surface, in their referees dressing room, in any manner, in or outside the arena will be suspended. This interaction could include but is not limited to threatening language, verbal accosting or physical interaction. That offending player will be suspended for the duration of the season.
h) A player ejected from a game for any reason whatsoever must immediately proceed to his/her dressing room. After changing into street clothes the player may then return to watch the game FROM THE STANDS. If the individual fails to follow this rule or causes any disturbance whatsoever, especially on preventing the game to continue its regular flow, he/she will be subjected to an additional suspension.
i) Any player amassing certain penalty minute totals will be subject to the following immediate suspensions which are:
a. 50 PIM – immediate 2 game suspension;
b. 70 PIM – immediate 3 game suspension;
c. 80 PIM – season ending suspension.
Players who in the same game go from 48 PIM to 70 PIM in that same game will be subject to a 5 game suspension.
j) Player reps will be held responsible for spare players’ actions. If the spare player receives a suspension it WILL result in an additional suspension to the team representitive. (KNOW WHO YOUR BRINGING OUT TO PLAY AND CONTROL THEM)
NOTE 1: Any Game Misconduct penalty in the last 10 minutes of the game will result in a one game suspension as a minimum.
NOTE 2: All major penalties (high sticking, slashing, etc.) will be accompanied by a Game Misconduct and result in a minimum 1 game suspension if assessed in the last 10 minutes.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
IDuck

well i have taken some cheap shots and must admit i have given some as well. but i have never intentionally cheap shot someone...when i have been slashed, hooked, speared, etc. it is usually accidental and the person will say "my bad, i didnt mean to get you, are you ok?" and i fully let it go...if i catch someone with a cheap shot i immediately appologize, make sure they are ok and if i drew a penalty i gladly except the punishment..

however, there are those who (like most of you said) "have something to prove". in that case i go to the captain/coach/whoever and apologize. no matter how i feel about the sitiuation because the last thing i want is to start something and have someone go after one of my team-mates and hurt them.

to be honest what ive noticed is the people who usually are wanting to be tuff guys and take runs and get in fights are the one who have been drinking. IMO beer leagues only work when everyone is good friends(on both teams).

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Slats432

Several things.

My adult league is pretty up front about clean play being number one. The first playoff tie breaker is PIMs.

Secondly, anyone that makes an obvious attempt to injure is kicked out of the league. That stuff doesn't fly.

Thirdly, our team will kick a player off no problem for bad behaviour. We had a talk with one of our vets a few years back about his rough play. He is one of our least penalized guys now.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 02:51 PM
seventieslord

I'm about to play my first Adult league game tonight. I'm 26 and have been out of hockey for 11 years so it should be interesting. I hope I don't have any tools like that on my team. I don't have a lot of tolerance for that kind of garbage, either.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Wease

This is one of the reasons I don't even play in an adult league anymore and haven't for about 5 years now. Too many morons and I just don't have that competitve drive that some of these guys have, like it's Game 7 every time. I enjoy going to drop in's and I play with a group that rents ice on Sunday nights where everyone knows everyone. I have the most fun playing in those now...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

I am usually a guy that is in the same boat as many others. I am out there to have fun, Get away for the Family, and have fun. Don't think i have ever done somethiung dirty, and if i noticede someone was pissed if i did something, i would usually go over and actually say sorry bout that. Damn i gotta work in the morning. I play hard, but i am not getting paid, i am payiing to play and last thing i want to do is get tossed and waste my money. I do not mind taking the occasional bump/slash/or hit, it mens league, everyone gets hacked one way or another, it is just bad when it escalates

Case in point

I used to play at the Ice VAult in Wayne NJ, My brother is playing there now, and said that two guys were yapping at each other all game, then finally started going at it fighting. Well as it turns out, the Arena is in the process of Pressing Charges on both guys for Assault.....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'm so tired of idiots throwing cheapshots and hits that could seriously injure someone.

Yes hockey even in an non-contact league gets a bit physical with a crosscheck in front of the net, or some minor contact along the boards but tonight I had to witness another one of my stupid teammates go overboard because he cannot control himself.

He got a bit of a slash across the hands...he turns around with a full 2 hand swing with his stick missing the guy....then the guy he meant to hit is facing the boards and he crosschecks him in the back full force into the boards...thus injuring the player and his helmet flying off.

I mean, give me a god damn break...I almost wanted to get off the bench and give my own teammate a beating.

How ****ing stupid can you be? Wow you took a slash..suck it up. Instead he tries to break someones neck.

I wish adult leagues instead of just handing out a 5 min major and a game misconduct would kick these morons out of the league altogether. We are adults, respect each other, you take a bit of a slash or a little contact then suck it up. Its hockey, its going to happen, but to try to break someone neck, deliver a cheap punch, take out a knee...etc....c'on. I wish adult leagues would get rid of these idiots. I play in 3 adult leagues for FUN, its great to go to work on a game day knowing that I have a game that night because I enjoy playing the game.

Unfortunately leagues just care about the money so they would never kick someone out of their league.
Hey Flyline, out of curiosity, i hope it wasn't the Ice House in Hackensack. I love that place.

People get out of hand everywhere.

I used to play at Sport-O-Rama but i felt the Refs didn't watch out for the health of players... it is their job to get rid of these clowns when they pull these stunts.

I stopped playing at Sport-O.

I like the Ice House, it is more organized.

Just curious where you witnessed this happen. Chelsea Piers?

I play because i love the game. Not to be a goon or be gooned.

To me hockey is a SKILL sport. Some coincidental contact will happen, and checking, WHEN NECESSARY like bumping someone off the puck, is fine, but going out and injuring someone is ridiculous.

We are not paid professionals. We PAY to play. No reason to pay for someone to injure you.

Adults should act like they are adults.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 08:29 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Hey Flyline, out of curiosity, i hope it wasn't the Ice House in Hackensack. I love that place.

People get out of hand everywhere.

I used to play at Sport-O-Rama but i felt the Refs didn't watch out for the health of players... it is their job to get rid of these clowns when they pull these stunts.

I stopped playing at Sport-O.

I like the Ice House, it is more organized.

Just curious where you witnessed this happen. Chelsea Piers?

I play because i love the game. Not to be a goon or be gooned.

To me hockey is a SKILL sport. Some coincidental contact will happen, and checking, WHEN NECESSARY like bumping someone off the puck, is fine, but going out and injuring someone is ridiculous.

We are not paid professionals. We PAY to play. No reason to pay for someone to injure you.

Adults should act like they are adults.
Nope, I play at the Westchester Skating Academy in Elmsford.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 09:28 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Seriously no point. If you want to hit then join a contact league. A teammate of mine was hospitalized by a cheapshot in a blow out game. IIRC the scores was 7-1 and one idiot decides to drill my teammate from behind. Tee guy was 6'2-300 lbs and my friend a small asian guy 5'4 120 lbs soaking wet.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 10:53 PM
lemieux32*

I play in an Over-30 draft league, it's run pretty well but there are some guys who think they play in the NHL. One guy loves to use his stick and then talk about it. (One game he gave me a good whack on the hip pad and then told his teammates all about it on the bench...of course I was skating away with the puck when he did it), but if you touch him he starts complaining to the refs. So one game he was being his usual self (including hitting the girl on our team in the head and hitting her when she was on the ice with the puck under her) so I put a shoulder into his chest...and he never came near me on purpose in a game again. Another guy threatened to kill me on the ice three games in a row! It all started because he was watching the puck and skated right into my back and then started screaming at the ref wanting an interference call and I was laughing at him. Where I live you get a lot of guys who didn't grow up playing so the disparity in skill and in game knowledge can be big...usually it's the guys who are fairly good, but clearly they still think they are playing high school or the guys who are not good and this is the NHL to them.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 11:07 PM
HerrAlex

I like it when players fight, but swinging your stick at the guy is going a little overboard, especially if he doesn't wear a cage.

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Agreed on all points here. Some people do the craziest stuff for seemingly no reason whatsoever. We all have lives outside of playing hockey - why do something that would potentially ruin the rest of yours or someone else's life?

There are a couple of tools like that on a floor hockey team that plays at my rink. I drew the reffing assignment for the floor games, and these tools (who play on the same team) are always startin' stuff up. They finally started behaving after a couple of suspensions & a threat of permanent banning came down on 'em.

While I'm on a rant . . .

This same team thinks they walk on water. They yell for a penalty every time someone touches them - then chew me out when I don't give them. It got to the point where I said: "Not another word out of you, or that's an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty." They shut up after that.

/rant

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote