HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sigh...I'm so sick of Idiots in Adult Leagues...

Old
05-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub

vCash: 500
Wow, i could not agree more, i would go on a rant, however i took a bad slash on the wrist last nite and it turns out its broken now. Huzzah this is exactly wat i needed going into summer

Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:43 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Nope, I play at the Westchester Skating Academy in Elmsford.
WSA is definitely not any worse than Brewster. Try a few seasons in Brewster if you really want to be disgusted . Not only do you find the morons, but the league is run like junk.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:01 AM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
The worst experiences I've had is playing against teams who are running up the score. For some reason, it makes them even more cocky about how physical they can be against you, and how physical you can be against them. I don't mind grinding it out on the boards, or using the body to angle people off. It's the idiot hotshots who think they're the **** in rec hockey playing against guys who A) Haven't played very much competitive hockey before, and B) Are just out to have a fun time. After a game I want to remember the good plays that I made, not worry about a sore neck/back after some 'powerforward' wannabe lays an open ice hit in a non-contact league.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:05 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'm so tired of idiots throwing cheapshots and hits that could seriously injure someone.

Yes hockey even in an non-contact league gets a bit physical with a crosscheck in front of the net, or some minor contact along the boards but tonight I had to witness another one of my stupid teammates go overboard because he cannot control himself.

He got a bit of a slash across the hands...he turns around with a full 2 hand swing with his stick missing the guy....then the guy he meant to hit is facing the boards and he crosschecks him in the back full force into the boards...thus injuring the player and his helmet flying off.

I mean, give me a god damn break...I almost wanted to get off the bench and give my own teammate a beating.

How ****ing stupid can you be? Wow you took a slash..suck it up. Instead he tries to break someones neck.

I wish adult leagues instead of just handing out a 5 min major and a game misconduct would kick these morons out of the league altogether. We are adults, respect each other, you take a bit of a slash or a little contact then suck it up. Its hockey, its going to happen, but to try to break someone neck, deliver a cheap punch, take out a knee...etc....c'on. I wish adult leagues would get rid of these idiots. I play in 3 adult leagues for FUN, its great to go to work on a game day knowing that I have a game that night because I enjoy playing the game.

Unfortunately leagues just care about the money so they would never kick someone out of their league.
I agree. I've seen how bad leagues get run and good ones.

I used to be in a league where one particular team would always, always show up drunk and high. And I mean the entire team would do this.
And then, filled with liquid courage, they'd run guys, slash, cheapshot - you name it, they did it.
You could literally smell them when they came into the rink - all booze, smokes and weed.

One year, we lost in the semifinals and the team that beat us had to play these clowns. During the handshakes I said to their players "good luck in the finals" to which every single one of them replied "F that! YOU play those idiots!"

The funny thing was, a player on our team was the convener of the league and he hated playing them. We always asked him, 'why don't you kick them out? There's lots of other teams willing to play'. But he never did despite telling me himself that he feared for his physical well being every time we played them.

I'm not a physical player or a violent person by any means. I usually won the Most Sportsman Like trophy growing up. But I got into quite a few scrums against these idiots and it was based on survival and the rare occasion when I'd lose my temper.

The league eventually folded up because teams dropped out because they didn't want to deal with that team. Pretty bad eh?

Today I'm in a really good league. We redraft every year so only a handful of morons are present. Who wants to be a dink when you might be playing with the guy you just cheapshotted? Compared to my old league, this one, in terms of skill level, is light years ahead. We have multiple former junior players including a couple of former NHLers. And yet, despite 70% of the players having played a very, very high level of hockey, everyone controls their tempers and the level of camaraderie on the ice is incredible.

Also in this league, if anyone acts like a moron, they're not invited back for next season. It's very well run and you don't have to worry about getting injured or hurting your livelihood because some jackass got drunk and decided he wanted to relive his glory days in Midget Travel.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:15 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Problem here is that everyone is way too proud. They would rather slash your ankles than have you beat them. I got absolutely destroyed last night going to the net off the rush, (didnt have the puck) and a guy comes out of nowhere and blindsides me, knocked me clean head over heels. He got called only because my bench was screaming, but alas, the guy would rather blindside someone half his size in a no contact league, away from the puck, than let him try to screen the goalie.

I'm sure if I asked him, he would say he was just clearing the front of the net. But he really threw his body into me bad.
I had the same thing happen to me a few years back.
I was on a 2-on-1 without the puck and the defender decided to simply body check me out of position so the goalie could take the shooter. At the last minute I realized what he was going to do so I stuck my shoulder out to protect myself. The guy went flying and I went to the net where I was immediately hammered to the ice by about 3 of the other teams players. A big scrum ensued with lots of swearing. I wanted to kill them.
What makes me even angrier is when I saw them off the ice after the game they're all smiles and cordial saying, 'what goes on the ice, stays on the ice'. I reminded them that while they might have an easy life being unemployed and smoking pot all day, others have to get up and work for a living. That didn't make me any friends.
But it was true, several of them didn't work while the others had dead-end jobs they didn't mind having because it allowed them to buy beer and smokes.

That's the problem with hockey. I absolutely adore the sport, but too many guys grow up seeing it more as 'war' than a fun game to play. They don't learn how to turn that switch off from their competitive days.
I've had this exact discussion with a few guys and they look at me like I'm speaking Chinese. To them, it's only fun if you win - no matter the level of hockey.
The actual art of skating, making plays, scoring goals, or just being out and playing and participating in such an awesome sport, isn't something they think about. Winning is the only thing that makes it fun for them.
It's kind of sad really.

Old
05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Adam Larsson

vCash: 892
Roller hockey

This **** happens in all leagues. The refs are too blame just as much as the players. I can't tell you how many times in a non-contact league the refs let a big hit go in the beginning of a game. That big hit autmatically gives permission for the other team to throw a hit. Then things escalate. Refs need be on top of these things more, especially in non contact roller leagues because there are barely any equipment worn. These refs need to go back and get lessons and especially when they're making 25$ an hour in my league.

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Speedtrials

One of the stranger incidents to happen to me was back when I was 18 playing in the Adult League. I remember there was about 5 minutes left to go in a close game, I got a breakaway and scored. As I am skating back to center-ice I hear my sister scream "Matt watch out", all of a sudden I feel someone really heavy jump on my back. It was the freaking goalie, he skated all the way from his goal, and jumped on top of me. My teammates and the refs quickly got him off, and just wound up ending the game. Now I play a clean game, and if I score don't make a big deal out of it, so I was wondering what in the world he attacked me for. After the game he sincerely apologized and told me he was just really frustrated with his team, and he basically just snapped. I didn't get hurt out of it, but at 18 I quickly realized there are some crazy people in the Adult League.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:40 PM
FeedDaPuck

WOW! Some great stories.

Now, I play in a clinic - meaning, practice for 45, then scrimmage for 45. Out of 20 guys - 7 are my pretty close friends. I am not a little guy (6'1" 190). One night I started picking on one of our friends - bumping into him - shoulder to shoulder - seriously just bumping, not checking him. I would not hesitate to do that to anyone - you can't really feel it. Anyway - the reason I was doing it - because a friend of ours was videotaping, so I was just horsing around. To make the long story short, I bumped him and skated away, parked myself in front of the opposing net, waiting for the puck. All of a sudden I'm being crosschecked full force. Turn around pissed off - see my buddy. I let him know that he has an IQ slightly higher than asphalt's and he proceeds to... crosscheck me in the kisser (I wear a visor; He has a full cage). Now, this is a 6'2" 250+ "boy". My lips are split, I am fuming, without hesitation I start pummeling him. Drop him. I am still pissed - the idiot is yapping - because he "thinks" that he is right. Someone (not a friend of ours) skates up to me and tells me that "this is just Rec. hockey". I ignored him. Of course my bud and I let the whole incident go once we get to the locker room.

The next day, my friend proceeds to tell someone that him and I had a full out brawl, during which he caught me a couple of times. He does that in front of the guy who was videotaping the clinic. Laptop is open – and video is premiered.  The whole incident, the “bumps” the crosschecks are clear as day… And the pummeling (he could not even throw one shot)… Anyway – he called me after watching it – and apologized.

Stuff happens - and some of us get pretty heated... It is stupid though!

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Everest

I've had a legendary battle going in my rec. league for several seasons now.

I became a favorite target,right from day 1 when I started playing in this league.

Teams have wasted an entire 2 hours of ice time trying to take me out and I've had my nose broken once plus numerous incidents where the game was stopped and handfuls of opposing players were ejected from the game on the same stoppage.

We use the same 2 refs all the time,so they are very familiar with me and any of my closest enemies. I rarely utter a word on the ice and the only penalties I ever take are 'pure' penalties...(never after the whislte BS and never elbows,C-checks et al).

Mostly...I just feel bad for those refs. I can take whatever those idiots give out and I don't even mind when I get mauled a bit because some of those poor buggers just don't have the skill/conditionng/experience others are blessed with and I know that could be frustrating.

This year...after my nose was broken by a 'Bertuzzi-like" unprovoked attack...It wasn't a bad break...just a straight,small fracture...but...the punch itself was really aggresive and pre-mediatated. I was close to quitting the league...but I didn't want to leave the boys hanging so I finished out the season.

We wound up losing to THAT team in the finals..after going through holy hell with 3 other teams in the playoffs. It really seemed like there was a league-wide agenda to take me out and stop our team from winning a 3rd stright title.

So...in that final game...I figured to heck with it...let someone else win it this year and shake hands after the game like it was an honest earned win...when...REALLY...winning again wasn't going to come at the cost of a 5000 dollar dental bill or whatever else it was going to come to for me.

My teammates knew I was going at half speed, although nobody said anything, they realized I was just too tired and rattled to go out there and 'do it' anymore.

I don't feel good about mailing it in...but I didn't know what else to do. It was to the point of terrorism on ice!

I really would be better off to fight when they ask me too...but its frickin' non-contact hockey and I refuse to give in to those tactics. if I still wanted to play that way...I'd be back in SR hockey or down south playing!!!

So...ya...I feel your guys' pain!

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 03:12 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I've had a legendary battle going in my rec. league for several seasons now.

I became a favorite target,right from day 1 when I started playing in this league.

Teams have wasted an entire 2 hours of ice time trying to take me out and I've had my nose broken once plus numerous incidents where the game was stopped and handfuls of opposing players were ejected from the game on the same stoppage.

We use the same 2 refs all the time,so they are very familiar with me and any of my closest enemies. I rarely utter a word on the ice and the only penalties I ever take are 'pure' penalties...(never after the whislte BS and never elbows,C-checks et al).

Mostly...I just feel bad for those refs. I can take whatever those idiots give out and I don't even mind when I get mauled a bit because some of those poor buggers just don't have the skill/conditionng/experience others are blessed with and I know that could be frustrating.

This year...after my nose was broken by a 'Bertuzzi-like" unprovoked attack...It wasn't a bad break...just a straight,small fracture...but...the punch itself was really aggresive and pre-mediatated. I was close to quitting the league...but I didn't want to leave the boys hanging so I finished out the season.

We wound up losing to THAT team in the finals..after going through holy hell with 3 other teams in the playoffs. It really seemed like there was a league-wide agenda to take me out and stop our team from winning a 3rd stright title.

So...in that final game...I figured to heck with it...let someone else win it this year and shake hands after the game like it was an honest earned win...when...REALLY...winning again wasn't going to come at the cost of a 5000 dollar dental bill or whatever else it was going to come to for me.

My teammates knew I was going at half speed, although nobody said anything, they realized I was just too tired and rattled to go out there and 'do it' anymore.

I don't feel good about mailing it in...but I didn't know what else to do. It was to the point of terrorism on ice!

I really would be better off to fight when they ask me too...but its frickin' non-contact hockey and I refuse to give in to those tactics. if I still wanted to play that way...I'd be back in SR hockey or down south playing!!!

So...ya...I feel your guys' pain!
Nobody should feel bullied on the ice in a rec hockey league.
Those kinds of antics are criminal in my opinion.

I have a funny story involving a good friend of mine.
He's not the best player as he never played organized hockey. BUT, for the limited amount of time he's had with the sport, I think he's well above what most people would be given his inexperience.
What he did do as a youth was mixed martial arts, a tonne of boxing and a crap load of street fights and tough man competitions. So needless to say, he was a tough hombre. But he was a good guy and really wouldn't start crap unless someone started it for him.

Anyway, he's playing in this league and someone takes advantage of him out there. He's getting slew-footed and crosschecked and everything else.
He ends up tussling with the idiot. The guy he fought had played some serious junior hockey and knew how to fight on the ice. Since my friend wasn't as good a skater or had as much experience fighting on the ice, you could say he lost the decision.
So after the game, he sees the guy in the concourse on the way out. My friend offers to rearrange his face in the parking lot. The guy throws out the same mantra of 'what happens on the ice stays on the ice'. But my friend calls him out on it. He brings up the fact that the goon had a distinct advantage considering his vast hockey experience and knew it and so he took advantage of him being an easy mark. So now he wanted to see how he'd do in his 'arena'.
The guy tried everything to back out but eventually got verbally assaulted enough to finally step outside.
It wasn't pretty. My buddy destroyed him in seconds.
He could have been an even worse dink about it if he wanted to. He told me afterwards that his initial plan was to toy with him and cut his face up with jabs and bruise his ribs and kidney's with body shots before really pummeling him.
But he decided that a quick KO was better for everyone. And that was it. It was a quick 1-2 and the guy was out cold before he even knew what was going on.
He helped him up, told him to never do that crap on the ice again and went his way.
And you know what? The guy never pulled any shenanigans on him or his teammates the rest of the year. He was a choir boy to our team.

Old
05-22-2008, 04:06 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I agree, but it depends on the situation.

I played a team that was nothing but goon team, and couldn't play at all, so as I would back check, one of the guys would hang behind me, putting the stick between my legs, and taking shots at my cup. I turned around and hooked him in the face (he had a face cage on). You don't go after the family jewels.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 06:33 PM
dao256

2 players in a Saskatchewan Senior leauge have been charged with assault because of a brawl this year i know..

dao256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
The next day, my friend proceeds to tell someone that him and I had a full out brawl, during which he caught me a couple of times. He does that in front of the guy who was videotaping the clinic. Laptop is open – and video is premiered.  The whole incident, the “bumps” the crosschecks are clear as day… And the pummeling (he could not even throw one shot)… Anyway – he called me after watching it – and apologized.

Stuff happens - and some of us get pretty heated... It is stupid though!
Going slightly OT here, but your mentioning of the camera and laptop reminded me of something. One thing I've learnt from hockey is that a LOT of people who play it, magnify in their heads everything that happens. So if they score a goal that deflects off a stick and goes top shelf, they're snipers and proceed to yell loudly with arms in the air. If they get hit, it's dirty. If they hit (no matter how hard), it's just part of the game.

I honestly think that everyone would benefit from being filmed, and watching back what they are like on the ice, and - just as importantly - just how good/bad they are.

I remember scoring a garbage goal in one of my first few games, and thinking 'jeez that's awesome, what a goal'. I then saw the footage of it on a mate's camera, and it WAS rubbish. Since then, I've made a point of toning down any sort of celebration, because I know how stupid it looks.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Krnuckfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
Nobody should feel bullied on the ice in a rec hockey league.
Those kinds of antics are criminal in my opinion.

I have a funny story involving a good friend of mine.
He's not the best player as he never played organized hockey. BUT, for the limited amount of time he's had with the sport, I think he's well above what most people would be given his inexperience.
What he did do as a youth was mixed martial arts, a tonne of boxing and a crap load of street fights and tough man competitions. So needless to say, he was a tough hombre. But he was a good guy and really wouldn't start crap unless someone started it for him.

Anyway, he's playing in this league and someone takes advantage of him out there. He's getting slew-footed and crosschecked and everything else.
He ends up tussling with the idiot. The guy he fought had played some serious junior hockey and knew how to fight on the ice. Since my friend wasn't as good a skater or had as much experience fighting on the ice, you could say he lost the decision.
So after the game, he sees the guy in the concourse on the way out. My friend offers to rearrange his face in the parking lot. The guy throws out the same mantra of 'what happens on the ice stays on the ice'. But my friend calls him out on it. He brings up the fact that the goon had a distinct advantage considering his vast hockey experience and knew it and so he took advantage of him being an easy mark. So now he wanted to see how he'd do in his 'arena'.
The guy tried everything to back out but eventually got verbally assaulted enough to finally step outside.
It wasn't pretty. My buddy destroyed him in seconds.
He could have been an even worse dink about it if he wanted to. He told me afterwards that his initial plan was to toy with him and cut his face up with jabs and bruise his ribs and kidney's with body shots before really pummeling him.
But he decided that a quick KO was better for everyone. And that was it. It was a quick 1-2 and the guy was out cold before he even knew what was going on.
He helped him up, told him to never do that crap on the ice again and went his way.
And you know what? The guy never pulled any shenanigans on him or his teammates the rest of the year. He was a choir boy to our team.
Your friend is a moron. Basically, anyone over the age of 18 who gets into a fight is an idiot in my books.

He gets beat on the ice, it hurts his ego so he goes after him outside the rink? What a loser.

Krnuckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:53 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnuckfan View Post
Your friend is a moron. Basically, anyone over the age of 18 who gets into a fight is an idiot in my books.

He gets beat on the ice, it hurts his ego so he goes after him outside the rink? What a loser.
Gotta agree with you here.

His friend is just as bad as the idiots on the ice.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:33 PM
PIMking

I played in a draft style "a" league and all players had to show up and schrimmige (sp) and then team captians drafted the players. Now the refs were there and the hockey director was there and told us all that this is hockey and its a non check league but agian this is hockey and people are going to get bumped and hit and slashed. They also said that if you are going to fight the refs will let it happen and then you will be booted for the game and get a 3 game boot and a $30 dollar fine. and 2nd time is 6 games and $60 dollars 3rd time is 10 games and $100 fine 4th time your gone.

Need less to say that kinda stopped the cheap shots and lots of the roughing stuff. there were a couple of scurmishes and so on. I tore my muniscus and mcl in the 2nd game when a guy purposly ran me knee to knee and told me to take it like a man. well I didnt need sugery and I was back in 4 months just in time for playoffs I lined up on the opening face off and challenged the guy and said "hey, you hurt me intentionally now im looking are you ready to go?" so we went. that was the only fight that i have ever been in. I most of the time stick up for my team mates pull the guys off of eachother.

I can understand playing 110% bumping and rubbing hook here and there but trying to hurt someone isnt going to fly. I have never ever tried to hurt someone. I have on accident gave a high stick once or twice. but who doesnt lose track of there stick every once in a while?

The biggest problem is most of these guys cant leave it on the ice they leave the locker room looking to fight you in the parking lot. those people need to be booted for good and never come back.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
Going slightly OT here, but your mentioning of the camera and laptop reminded me of something. One thing I've learnt from hockey is that a LOT of people who play it, magnify in their heads everything that happens. So if they score a goal that deflects off a stick and goes top shelf, they're snipers and proceed to yell loudly with arms in the air. If they get hit, it's dirty. If they hit (no matter how hard), it's just part of the game.

I honestly think that everyone would benefit from being filmed, and watching back what they are like on the ice, and - just as importantly - just how good/bad they are.

I remember scoring a garbage goal in one of my first few games, and thinking 'jeez that's awesome, what a goal'. I then saw the footage of it on a mate's camera, and it WAS rubbish. Since then, I've made a point of toning down any sort of celebration, because I know how stupid it looks.
Totally agree with this. I just started playing hockey. My first game I really thought I was moving out there. Until I saw the video of it. Man oh man am I awful. But boy do I love it. So I decided to take a class to try to get better.

Scored my first goal ever last week. Didn't really celebrate at all. It was as "soft" a goal as they come. But it always feels good to score.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Quote:

Absolutely. 100% clown.

The guy should tell his friend to stick to organised street fights and stay away from hockey. He doesn't deserve it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
Totally agree with this. I just started playing hockey. My first game I really thought I was moving out there. Until I saw the video of it. Man oh man am I awful. But boy do I love it. So I decided to take a class to try to get better.

Scored my first goal ever last week. Didn't really celebrate at all. It was as "soft" a goal as they come. But it always feels good to score.
Yeah, maybe it helps that we both saw ourselves on video early after starting, so we didn't have a long enough time to develop the egos some people have.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLLsOn View Post
This **** happens in all leagues. The refs are too blame just as much as the players.
This is exactly the mentality that casues the problems in these leagues. Blame the refs for all your woes, don't shoulder the responibility yourself. It's not the refs that get in the fights, it's not the refs that make the cheap trips, the late hits, the boardings, it's all the players. The "adults" that are playing. You want to point fingers, point at the league organizers that promote this type of action by allowing the cheap and lazy players to come back time and again to do it all over again.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 07:58 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:

I disagree. My buddy has never started any crap on the ice. I've played with him for a few years and all it is to him is fun.

But this moron he had to deal with was cheap shotting and running him all night. When he finally told the guy to "F off" the dude dropped the gloves with him.

The guy knew he had a major advantage over my friend. He had at least 4" and 50 lbs on him, as well as considerably more skill on the ice. It was like a lion picking on a lamb.

How is that cool? My friend didn't start any crap. He always keeps his stick on the ice but he's supposed to just take that junk from this jerk? And he didn't even initiate the altercation on the ice.

As far as I'm concerned, the idiot he KO's in the parking lot had it coming to him. From what we've heard around the league he was infamous for being an idiot out there. Someone finally called him out on it.

As you can tell, I totally disagree with the 'what goes on the ice, stays on the ice' bullcrap. It basically translates into, "I should be allowed to be a meathead or d**khead as much as I want to be".
These guys hide inside a controlled environment where they look to refs and 'rules' to protect them. Especially when they see a weaker player they know they can pick on. This guy knew full well he could be an idiot every week, and because of his size and fighting experience, there wasn't much that anyone could ever do against him.
It's the old, with great power comes great responsibility gag. But this guy decided to use his abilities to be a bully and an idiot.
Trust me when I say that when word spread of his parking lot KO, everyone in the league had a smile on their face. Including his own teammates.

Old
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Everest

Quote:
I disagree. My buddy has never started any crap on the ice. I've played with him for a few years and all it is to him is fun.

But this moron he had to deal with was cheap shotting and running him all night. When he finally told the guy to "F off" the dude dropped the gloves with him.

The guy knew he had a major advantage over my friend. He had at least 4" and 50 lbs on him, as well as considerably more skill on the ice. It was like a lion picking on a lamb.

How is that cool? My friend didn't start any crap. He always keeps his stick on the ice but he's supposed to just take that junk from this jerk? And he didn't even initiate the altercation on the ice.

As far as I'm concerned, the idiot he KO's in the parking lot had it coming to him. From what we've heard around the league he was infamous for being an idiot out there. Someone finally called him out on it.

As you can tell, I totally disagree with the 'what goes on the ice, stays on the ice' bullcrap. It basically translates into, "I should be allowed to be a meathead or d**khead as much as I want to be".
These guys hide inside a controlled environment where they look to refs and 'rules' to protect them. Especially when they see a weaker player they know they can pick on. This guy knew full well he could be an idiot every week, and because of his size and fighting experience, there wasn't much that anyone could ever do against him.
It's the old, with great power comes great responsibility gag. But this guy decided to use his abilities to be a bully and an idiot.
Trust me when I say that when word spread of his parking lot KO, everyone in the league had a smile on their face. Including his own teammates.
Its funny were mentioning 'what happens on the ice,stays on the ice'.

Our league is sponsored by a particular bar in town....so naturally thats where we go afterwards.

After some of these nights where I'm skating arund with 4 guys trying to get a piece of me on the ice and 5 more hurling insults from the bench...I head to the bar and sit right up front at the bar...so every player who was acting up has to come and order a drink right beside me and the 2 or 3 others on my team that drink.

These a$$ clowns never say a word off the ice!! They won't even make eye contact!!

I've always believed in the code...like most people...I say leave it on the ice.

I was blindsided by a guy on the opposite end of the PLAY one night....FULL SPEED...I was turning after clearing a puck off the glass in the D zone and this guy was way off side as the puck was sliding down the ice and he jumped up as he hit me...BLASTED me right out of my boots almost. I couldn't believe I was still concious and unhurt!!!

I was positive he did it on purpose too,even though I didn't see him coming,his whole bench cheered it. Anyways....he was sitting with his buddies after the game and the guy wouldn't even look in our direction. I was thnking about going over and calling him outside...but I let it go...(again).

Old
05-23-2008, 01:54 PM
lemieux32*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
This is exactly the mentality that casues the problems in these leagues. Blame the refs for all your woes, don't shoulder the responibility yourself. It's not the refs that get in the fights, it's not the refs that make the cheap trips, the late hits, the boardings, it's all the players. The "adults" that are playing. You want to point fingers, point at the league organizers that promote this type of action by allowing the cheap and lazy players to come back time and again to do it all over again.
He wasn't saying it is all on the refs, simply that refs contribute. I have seen leagues where the refs let stuff go because they like to watch fights...they admitted it. Some refs decide that the players are adults, so they let them play and then can't figure it out when things get out of hand. All they have to do is call the game correctly and it doesn't get out of hand. If you nail the cheap player early it won't escalate.

Quote:

Sorry anybody who tries to get someone back in the parking lot after a game is a complete moron who deserves to get his ass kicked on the ice.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Everest

No Hit Refs are paid decent nowdays. As much as 40 or 50 bucks if they are all alone sometimes...but I still say there is NO WAY they should be expected to break up a full blown hockey fight.

Its down right dangerous for them...on many different levels,really.

Thats another reason wny I am dead-set against fighting in no-hit hockey.

If beer leagues want to have anything but automatic ejections + suspensions for fighting...they should be prepared to pay a MINIMUM of 2 ADULT refs...and your looking at about a 100 bux every game right there...

Old
05-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Orthodox Caveman

I haven't really experienced this problem too bad. There's a difference between getting handled physically (which I see no problem with) and getting intentionally blindsided/ targeted (which has no place in an adult rec league). I've had guys slash and hook me like crazy and the refs wouldn't call anything but they weren't targeting or bullying me. They did it cause I had the puck and was about to pass it or bury it. The refs in our league do a decent job of watching out for guys who play dirty and our teammates stick up for each other.

I've made it a point to skate faster and play smarter to avoid the goons and burn them on the scoreboard.

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesius87 View Post
I haven't really experienced this problem too bad. There's a difference between getting handled physically (which I see no problem with) and getting intentionally blindsided/ targeted (which has no place in an adult rec league). I've had guys slash and hook me like crazy and the refs wouldn't call anything but they weren't targeting or bullying me. They did it cause I had the puck and was about to pass it or bury it. The refs in our league do a decent job of watching out for guys who play dirty and our teammates stick up for each other.

I've made it a point to skate faster and play smarter to avoid the goons and burn them on the scoreboard.
Actually...I'd say the slashes and hooks are where it started for me.

I never complained about the odd stick and the refs gave some players a little extra room to work with on me...and thats fine...

Just between you and me...I'm well ahead of anyone in this league in terms of smarts.

Thats why I get the 'first year guys' on my line.

This year we had an exchange student from Denmark...great soccer player..never been in skates until this year.

By about half way through the regular season...he was scoring almost every game and I think that really pi$$ed off some of the other teams. They figured this 'weak link' was going to be a piece of cake...but it turned out he was in wicked shape and extremely competitive and proud and he busts his ass until he's a better player than some Canadian guys who think they know what they are doing...and as a result I was having a blast setting him up...just so I could see his reaction...and it seemed to set off some of those Canadian posers.